Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

kholdstayr posted:

How do you make hay to breed animals with?
Isn't it wheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Haven't seen any mention about the changes to armor in 1.9. Armor no longer decreases in effectiveness with damage. Different materials provide different protection. Values in order: Head, torso, legs, feet.

Leather: .5, 1.5, 1, .5, total 3.5.
Gold: 1, 2.5, 1.5, .5, total 5.5.
Chain: 1, 2.5, 2, .5, total 6.
Iron: 1, 3, 2.5, 1, total 7.5
Diamond: 1.5, 4, 3, 1.5, total 10.

No idea if the values translate to the same level of protection. I like the change, but it does make leather armor even more useless.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kholdstayr posted:

How do you make hay to breed animals with?

Grow wheat. Till the soil with a hoe, plant some seeds from tall grass, harvest the wheat once it's done growing.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

FPzero posted:

Didn't see anyone reply to this but I thought it was neat.

That actually sounds like it would be a pretty cool premise for a brand new server. It would probably be best if there was a starting village with chests of supplies for people to buy/take. Maybe give everyone a number of something as currency, possibly gold nuggets, make them buy their supplies. Any gold nuggets they retain along the trail can be used as they reach new settlements. Eventually they would reach Oregon and maybe be scored somehow? Or maybe there doesn't need to be a win condition, just the fun they had getting there.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. Maybe make like a 1800's style "Fort Dodge" or something with vendors and such and lots of stuff to "buy" using an economy mod.

I wish there were wandering NPC vendors, then it'd really feel like a first person Oregon Trail.

CJacobs posted:

It'd be pretty neat until some rear end in a top hat decided to join the whitelist, end up at spawn, and just go off in a random direction, thus loving up the whole neat looking map. Even private servers are susceptible to this sort of thing.

Yeah, I would have to keep on it with checking a Tect map every couple nights and seeing who's being a fucktard and banning them. Then editing out the path to keep the map size down.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Jervas Dudley posted:

Haven't seen any mention about the changes to armor in 1.9. Armor no longer decreases in effectiveness with damage. Different materials provide different protection. Values in order: Head, torso, legs, feet.

Leather: .5, 1.5, 1, .5, total 3.5.
Gold: 1, 2.5, 1.5, .5, total 5.5.
Chain: 1, 2.5, 2, .5, total 6.
Iron: 1, 3, 2.5, 1, total 7.5
Diamond: 1.5, 4, 3, 1.5, total 10.

No idea if the values translate to the same level of protection. I like the change, but it does make leather armor even more useless.

Still no way of making chain armor?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

You can still make it, you just need to be Prometheus.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Quick redstone question: I want to have a circuit turn on from just a detector rail briefly going on and for that circuit to stay on. How can I do that?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Alaan posted:

Quick redstone question: I want to have a circuit turn on from just a detector rail briefly going on and for that circuit to stay on. How can I do that?
RS NOR latch
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits#Latches_and_Flip-Flops

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You want a T flip flop.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Alaan posted:

I think this is what you'd want. I'd whip up an example myself, but it's quite late.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuit#T_Flip-Flop

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
^^ T Flip-flops are too loving complicated. :colbert:

Alaan posted:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuit
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/c/cf/StandardLogicGates.png

You need an RS NOR latch.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You don't need either of those overcomplicated things; just a loop of four repeaters with redstone at the corners of the ring. Takes up only 1 by 3 by 3.

Nerds.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

If you use pistons, a T flip flop becomes much smaller footprint-wise

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
RS NOR LATCH FOR LIFE. Also it is actually considerably smaller than the flip flop plus he said he wants the circuit on so Q, not flip flopping or he'll get Q and !Q depending on its state.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

You don't need either of those overcomplicated things; just a loop of four repeaters with redstone at the corners of the ring. Takes up only 1 by 3 by 3.

Nerds.

Except when you take into consideration the wiring on that means you are linking four pieces of wiring together making it considerably bigger. The man wants a RS NOR latch.

And because I am a shameless whore, here is my spergiest redstone project ever: http://www.youtube.com/user/Kdhunt2000#p/u/5/nw0ZoJDgpgM

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 30, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The new records are amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arrath posted:

The new records are amazing.
How exactly does one get them?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Anyone have a link to the newest FPS fixer optimine or optifog whatever is the most current?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

How exactly does one get them?

I hope it isn't the same way it is now. Having a skeleton kill a creeper. That gets tricky even if you weaken the creeper first.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

There's also dungeons or you can listen to them in creative mode.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Anyone have a link to the newest FPS fixer optimine or optifog whatever is the most current?

I think there was a specific fix for something in the first pre-release, but you're probably looking for OptiFine. Which is for 1.8.1.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

There should be, if it was something like four iron for six chain links it'd fit into the progression. If there were an actual progression. In theory it should go leather>iron>diamond. In practice you'll just use iron forever.

You get 0-2 leather per cow. You have to kill about 24 cows for a full set of leather armor. If you're breeding them that's 48 wheat. On top of that leather is weaker, less durable, and harder to gather than iron.

Iron is really common now, I've made three full sets of iron armor and have two stacks of iron. That's just today in about three hours, most of it not even spent spelunking.

Diamond is so rare, I've found five between all my worlds post 1.8. That's a hat.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Goddamnit jeb, why'd you make it so fence attaches to blocks on all sides of it. this ruins everything :(

should've made it so it only attached at the end block, instead of just copy/pasting the window pane/iron bar mechanics.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Frobbe posted:

Goddamnit jeb, why'd you make it so fence attaches to blocks on all sides of it. this ruins everything :(

should've made it so it only attached at the end block, instead of just copy/pasting the window pane/iron bar mechanics.

I don't understand, didn't fence pieces already work that way?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

urf posted:

I don't understand, didn't fence pieces already work that way?

this is from 1.9 Pre 2. fences now act similar to window panes/iron bars, in that they attach to everything next to them, which also looks silly.

i'd be happy if fences just attached at the end point, sort of like redstone.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
oh huh, that sounds really weird looking.
I wonder why they made that change, fences worked fine before didn't they?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
drat it, it looks like they decided against the potion system they had and are going to throw the whole cauldron idea out. This is a real bummer as I thought mixing potions was really neat and the differently colored water in the cauldrons would have been great for decorations. Looks like Notch and Jeb are getting a bit of backlash over twitter, hopefully they will reconsider, especially since a mod was made so people could play with the system, it added such a nice touch to the game. Going to be disappointed if the potions use a crafting table.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

urf posted:

oh huh, that sounds really weird looking.
I wonder why they made that change, fences worked fine before didn't they?

They work fine, but now they'll properly 'fill' a gap, rather than having empty spaces on either side between blocks. Makes a lot of stuff look better, I think.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Enzer posted:

drat it, it looks like they decided against the potion system they had and are going to throw the whole cauldron idea out. This is a real bummer as I thought mixing potions was really neat and the differently colored water in the cauldrons would have been great for decorations. Looks like Notch and Jeb are getting a bit of backlash over twitter, hopefully they will reconsider, especially since a mod was made so people could play with the system, it added such a nice touch to the game. Going to be disappointed if the potions use a crafting table.

What the fuckin' gently caress? I honestly thought that was the best thing I'd seen from them since the Halloween update last year. I have no idea why they would decide against a robust potion system that they already have just about fully implemented.

Now I'm back to using :psyduck: as my go to emoticon to describe their design process and decisions. :(

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Err, they're not removing potions and potion mixing... just cauldrons. They haven't said what they're replacing it with.

Save your :psyduck:s for when they come up with a system worse than one that had you opening and closing your inventory repeatedly to see what you were doing.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

From yesterday:

jeb_ posted:

Potions are delayed because *add to cauldron, pick up, look at tooltip, pour back into cauldron, repeat* was extremely tedious

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
If they can streamline viewing what potion you are brewing (tooltip appears when focused on a cauldron for more than a few seconds or maybe left click with a bottle to get potion effects, right click with bottle to fill bottle), that would be great, I'd just rather not lose the cauldron block which is what the tweet seems to suggest. I really hope it is otherwise as a bunch of cauldrons filled with differently colored potions would have made a nice additions to my wizard towers. Here's hoping for the best.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I hope it's a mere interface change, because the cauldrons were so drat visually pleasing, and one of the more interesting features to interact with.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Vib Rib posted:

I hope it's a mere interface change, because the cauldrons were so drat visually pleasing, and one of the more interesting features to interact with.

Nope! http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/119710836469149697

quote:

A quick discussion with @notch led me in on a new way of doing the potion brewing. Cauldron is out...

Sorry, Vib.

Edit: VVVV Howsa bout you post some screens for those of us who aren't playing the pre-release but still do want to feel physically ill. :allears:

moondust fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 30, 2011

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
This is the first time a computer game has physically made me ill. The nauseating potion is hell !

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Vib Rib posted:

Haven't had a chance to play with the cauldrons, but everyone upset with cauldrons getting the boot really should consider certain wonderful alternatives...

Chemistry sets! Alembics! Multicolored liquids flowing through tubes into bottles and vials! Bunsen Burners maybe?

Chemical mad science!

Such is what I'm hoping for.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

The Snark posted:

Haven't had a chance to play with the cauldrons, but everyone upset with cauldrons getting the boot really should consider certain wonderful alternatives...

Chemistry sets! Alembics! Multicolored liquids flowing through tubes into bottles and vials! Bunsen Burners maybe?

Chemical mad science!

Such is what I'm hoping for.

Hopefully you expect something as convoluted as redstone circuits.

Why use tubes when you can use position on blocks, but only at the correct angle and in proper combination with the blocks next to it.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

FidgetyRat posted:

Why use tubes when you can use position on blocks, but only at the correct angle and in proper combination with the blocks next to it.

I could see it turning out that way, and if it did I might not complain too much as it lends itself well to an proper expansive mad science lab, but I do actually prefer simple systems and would be happier with a chemistry set that didn't exceed a size of 4 blocks.

Edit: Now that you have me thinking about it I confess I'm now having visions of a lab set up with equipment to pipe potions around, maybe rigged to dump them into holding cells to test their effects in unethical experiments on pigs, cows, zombies... Villagers....

I'm probably getting my hopes up for a simple chemistry set as it is however.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 30, 2011

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

A Sassy Dog posted:

Edit: VVVV Howsa bout you post some screens for those of us who aren't playing the pre-release but still do want to feel physically ill. :allears:

You know that wavy-world effect that you see when you go through Nether Portals? Dial that up a few notches.

Not mine, but shows it off if you put up with some darkness at the start.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

New info on potions. ..Interesting?

Jeb posted:

I'm fully aware the potions are very thin (diet?), but it looks cute: http://t.co/g1LwCdlO (Always work in progress, of course)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tw1tchy posted:

New info on potions. ..Interesting?

Why can't they just use a 3D bottle?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Aww, he brought me flowers. :3:

e: the fucker trampled my wheat :argh: gently caress endermen

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

FidgetyRat posted:

God dammit, I saw Jebs new post with the odd potion stand then read your post, imagined small diagrams on how to position certain potions together to properly combine them into something new. Saw beautiful, dimly lit alchemy labs under castles.

Now I want that.