Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

white hum posted:

Create userChrome.css file in chrome folder of your profile and:

.tabbrowser-tab[fadein]:not([pinned]) {
min-width: 25px !important;
max-width: 200px !important;
}

Change numbers as you want.

Whoa! Thank you. But it seriously irks me that I have to do that to get back this quite very basic functionnality.

HalloKitty posted:

Just use Tab Mix Plus.

Thanks, but I'd rather not depend on another extension. It's always a heartbreak when they go unsupported and you were sooo used to them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
When are we likely to see the Chrome-like UI changes appear in the nightlies, or were those mock-ups just ideas that won't necessarily be implemented?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TwoKnives posted:

When are we likely to see the Chrome-like UI changes appear in the nightlies, or were those mock-ups just ideas that won't necessarily be implemented?

I think they're targeting Firefox 10 for the new theme, so that would make it January/February 2012. Someone made a theme out of it. Rough round the edges but gets the job done.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of Firefox bugs that I want to whine about but will never actually file:

What's up with FF completely purging my cookies database all the time? It seems to happen mostly after I do an update. I look in my Firefox profile folder and I see a 1.5 meg cookies.sqlite.bak file, but there's a new cookies.sqlite file that's empty, and another cookies.sqlite.bak-rebuild file... Also some -shm and -wal files, whatever the hell those are.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't have a loving clue what's going on. I am on a Mac, 10.7.1, was on FF 7.0 and all was well. I then updated to 7.0.1 and all of a sudden I can't view any sites - the browser just doesn't make an attempt to load them. I tried 8.0.1 beta and it's the same. I went back to 7.0 and it's the same. Tried disabling all addons to no avail, also rebooted. Chrome and Safari work fine, as do my other internet-using programs. Anyone know how the hell I can use firefox once more? This is really annoying me.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Anjow posted:

I don't have a loving clue what's going on. I am on a Mac, 10.7.1, was on FF 7.0 and all was well. I then updated to 7.0.1 and all of a sudden I can't view any sites - the browser just doesn't make an attempt to load them. I tried 8.0.1 beta and it's the same. I went back to 7.0 and it's the same. Tried disabling all addons to no avail, also rebooted. Chrome and Safari work fine, as do my other internet-using programs. Anyone know how the hell I can use firefox once more? This is really annoying me.

Try creating a new profile. The fact that all versions are hosed tells me it's not FF, it's your profile.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The new profile made it work, but does this mean that I've got to start afresh with years worth of bookmarks and extension settings?

Edit: Anything I try and copy across from the old profile fucks it up. This is utter loving poo poo and a large waste of my time. Nerdrage.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2011

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Anjow posted:

The new profile made it work, but does this mean that I've got to start afresh with years worth of bookmarks and extension settings?

Edit: Anything I try and copy across from the old profile fucks it up. This is utter loving poo poo and a large waste of my time. Nerdrage.

Bookmark exporting and importing:
Bookmarks -> Show all Bookmarks (new window opens) -> Import and Backup -> Backup (or Restore -> Choose file... when restoring the JSON file)

Extension copying:
Copy your "/profile_directory/extensions" directory to your new profile. Also copy "/profile_directory/prefs.js". I'd just copy the extensions folder and reconfigure your extensions though, because your prefs.js file may be hosed up.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Welp, I've not loving done anything and now the old profile works. I hope it doesn't stop working again. I'm going to stop FF from trying to get me to update now, looks like it's 7.0.1 for a long time to come.

Jack MacAskill
Feb 21, 2011

Seb posted:

Thanks, but I'd rather not depend on another extension. It's always a heartbreak when they go unsupported and you were sooo used to them...
Tab Mix Plus is a really popular extension, it's not likely to fall into disrepair any time soon. I'd think. There is always the 'disable compatibility check' thing in the OP.
There are loads of little options in there and so while there's a good chance you will come to depend on it, there's just so much to play with. Better to have tweaked and lost?

That said both TMP and the compatibility check option are not working for me since I switched to Aurora. Tab Mix won't let me reorder my tabs, new profile with nothing else installed is no help.
For now I'm using a couple of smaller extensions and I may be better off for it. Modified the maxversion in any incompatible extensions to get them going. Though if anyone has some quick suggestions I'll hear them.
Also my scrolling seems stuttery-er since 6 I think, but I haven't tried much to fix that besides the 'smooth scroll' options. Might be all in my head, I could install 5 for a while and see if that helps. It's only sometimes I'll be scrolling as I read, and the line I'm on keeps clipping in half?

A while ago someone was looking for a :frog: persona and I made one but didn't post it, though it has since grown on me. The one I'm using blinks, but I couldn't be bothered to get an animated .png (which I did not know existed) to work. :effort:

Edit: Suddenly 9, incompatible extensions working now, may be the 'add-on compatibility reporter' add-on.

Jack MacAskill fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 1, 2011

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

TwoKnives posted:

It's in the 10 UX builds which are different than the 10 nightly. http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25064-firefox_ux

I believe this is nightly spot, but I'm not for sure as I'm not running it currently. I do know they are purposely doing it as it's likely to be unstable, even over the normal nightly. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-ux/

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

TwoKnives posted:

Right now I think these are concepts that are being explored and we have not yet committed to them completely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I thought we've been having Chrome-like UI changes since 4?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
This is driving me a bit batty. Just updated earlier today and all of a sudden external links aren't opening. Firefox is set as my default browser but anytime I click a link in something like IRC or IM clients, it won't open.

It's definitely something in FF since I just set IE as default, everything opened fine there, swapped FF back and links still won't open.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dexanth posted:

This is driving me a bit batty. Just updated earlier today and all of a sudden external links aren't opening. Firefox is set as my default browser but anytime I click a link in something like IRC or IM clients, it won't open.

It's definitely something in FF since I just set IE as default, everything opened fine there, swapped FF back and links still won't open.

So does nothing happen, or does another browser open instead of Firefox? Go to default programs and make sure all applicable defaults are set for Firefox.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dexanth posted:

Make sure you restart Firefox after updating. When Firefox is launched after updating it's elevated to Admin, so programs that aren't elevated can't send links to it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

An update to my problems:

I made a backup of my old profile, then removed FF using CleanApp to remove any trace of it. I installed afresh and copied my original profile over. If I launch it via the terminal:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

It works perfectly, using the old profile. If I launch it via the .app icon or the dock, it doesn't work. So it seems that SOMEHOW this is related to how I launch the application, and is nothing to do with my profile. Can anyone think why this would work when I launch it via the terminal, but not other ways? This makes no sense to me.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A little off topic but is there anyone maintaining a version of 64bit Thunderbird, in the way that Pale Moon and Waterfox do for Firefox?

I'm currently using EarlyBird, but that is updated sporadically, if at all.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Toast Museum posted:

So does nothing happen, or does another browser open instead of Firefox? Go to default programs and make sure all applicable defaults are set for Firefox.

Nothing happens at all. I briefly set IE as my default browser to determine if Firefox was the issue, and IE opened things flawlessly. Setting Firefox to default again, and it stopped working.

Bebopaloobop posted:

Make sure you restart Firefox after updating. When Firefox is launched after updating it's elevated to Admin, so programs that aren't elevated can't send links to it.

Trying this to confirm it's not the issue, though I think I've already rebooted FF.

Edit : That seemed to fix it! Thank you so much!

Dexanth fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 4, 2011

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I run Aurora, not gernerally to submit bugs (see earlier discussione) but just because I like to see what is coming. And honestly it's pretty drat stable, I generally have no issues with it.

Only thing is, I have no idea what has changed with each release. Is there a compiled list of notes somewhere? I'm not expecting one for every minor release but when 8 roles to 9 it'd be nice to see what I've gained so I can try it out. I know it's not like the old days but surely each version brings some kind of new feature?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tunga posted:

I run Aurora, not gernerally to submit bugs (see earlier discussione) but just because I like to see what is coming. And honestly it's pretty drat stable, I generally have no issues with it.

Only thing is, I have no idea what has changed with each release. Is there a compiled list of notes somewhere? I'm not expecting one for every minor release but when 8 roles to 9 it'd be nice to see what I've gained so I can try it out. I know it's not like the old days but surely each version brings some kind of new feature?
The Burning Edge covers when notable features land in trunk. There's also the Firefox Release Tracking page with a more high-level overview. The actual release notes themselves are pretty lacking.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've just upgraded to 8.0 beta and this is the first beta I've had since I hopped on 6 that has been buggy. I've had sprint.com's Javascript cause it to time out, and just now it insisted I had a URL open in another tab, and I did not.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well 64bit Flash is finally out as an official "finished" product.

Installer for Firefox here: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe

I'm sure there'll be a security update tomorrow, mind.

(Link edited to not include McAfee poo poo)
(Link put right back as that wasn't the non-McAfee link, it was the 32bit link. The original link is fine and doesn't have McAffe)

Lum fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 9, 2011

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

Well 64bit Flash is finally out as an official "finished" product.

Installer for Firefox here: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe

I'm sure there'll be a security update tomorrow, mind.

Do they have an installer that doesn't auto-delete itself after installation?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do they have an installer that doesn't auto-delete itself after installation?

Not that I could find, but it appears to extract itself and then run "%LocalAppData%\Temp\install_flash_player_64bit.exe" -dlm -install

What you really want is the non-DLM version.

I guess making the installer auto delete itself may be a slight security improvement since any installer you download will be out of date in a few days anyway.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

Not that I could find, but it appears to extract itself and then run "%LocalAppData%\Temp\install_flash_player_64bit.exe" -dlm -install

What you really want is the non-DLM version.

I guess making the installer auto delete itself may be a slight security improvement since any installer you download will be out of date in a few days anyway.

Nah the non-DLM version suicides too. The sooner the world sheds itself of Flash, the better. Assuming HTML5 video is more secure. About which I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nah the non-DLM version suicides too. The sooner the world sheds itself of Flash, the better. Assuming HTML5 video is more secure. About which I don't even know what I'm talking about.

If this is for a corporate install, I guess you just do a batch file

COPY \\SERVER\ShittyApps\install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe %TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe
%TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe

And then the problem is sorted.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

If this is for a corporate install, I guess you just do a batch file

COPY \\SERVER\ShittyApps\install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe %TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe
%TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe

And then the problem is sorted.

Heh, dude, I have like 4 computers on which to update this poo poo at home. That's it. But it does become useful for the dozen or so computers a year I have to format etc. Not a huge pain to have to download it every time, but a pain nonetheless.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As terrible as Flash is, places like youtube have a long way to go before HTML5 video becomes a worthwhile alternative. in terms of performance and functionality.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The Dark One posted:

As terrible as Flash is, places like youtube have a long way to go before HTML5 video becomes a worthwhile alternative. in terms of performance and functionality.

Does youtube do fullscreen video yet in html5? That and the video freezing while the audio continued every 15 seconds made me turn it off finally.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
HTML5 in firefox means you're still stuck with crap-rear end WebM, so it's going to run like poo poo, and usually worse than flash.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

trandorian posted:

HTML5 in firefox means you're still stuck with crap-rear end WebM, so it's going to run like poo poo, and usually worse than flash.

Firefox AND Chrome, actually. Chrome's removed/removing support for .h264.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cool Matty posted:

Firefox AND Chrome, actually. Chrome's removed/removing support for .h264.
and Opera (not that anyone uses it)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jack MacAskill posted:

Tab Mix Plus is a really popular extension, it's not likely to fall into disrepair any time soon. I'd think. There is always the 'disable compatibility check' thing in the OP.
There are loads of little options in there and so while there's a good chance you will come to depend on it, there's just so much to play with. Better to have tweaked and lost?

That said both TMP and the compatibility check option are not working for me since I switched to Aurora. Tab Mix won't let me reorder my tabs, new profile with nothing else installed is no help.
For now I'm using a couple of smaller extensions and I may be better off for it. Modified the maxversion in any incompatible extensions to get them going. Though if anyone has some quick suggestions I'll hear them.

I just noticed this issue myself, and somehow managed to actually find something useful on the Mozillazine forums. If you're running beta or alpha Firefox, running the developer version of TMP (available on the site) instead of the current final should fix your problem.

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bieeardo posted:

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

On what version? That's not the case for 7.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Is anyone else getting spammed with sync errors?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NOTinuyasha posted:

Is anyone else getting spammed with sync errors?

I am, but I just assumed it's because of my internet connection, which has been total poo poo lately.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

They've had Sync server issues for about 48 hours now. Mozilla is working on it apparently.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobn posted:

Does youtube do fullscreen video yet in html5? That and the video freezing while the audio continued every 15 seconds made me turn it off finally.

Its always done fullscreen if you have the browser window full screened. Its a bit inconvenient pushing F11 all the time but it does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

dissss posted:

Its always done fullscreen if you have the browser window full screened. Its a bit inconvenient pushing F11 all the time but it does work.

This also leads to aforementioned crippling lag, and doesn't disable the screensaver, so it doesn't really count as a proper fullscreen implementation.