Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can anyone confirm that the master key can be used more than once? Seems like a no brainer to start as thief if none of the other classes get special perks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Decided the game will be worth the wait in shipping plus I have classes so it's not like I can play non-stop. Woke up, popped the money on the CC and now waiting for Amazon to consume my funds.

So stoked! Almost here!! :D

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gazmachine posted:

Quick thought on PvP now - I just realised that heal grass abuse is out, because they took about 0.5 seconds to consume and now the drinks take at least twice as long, so that will immediately negate that problem. That's pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure that invaders aren't allowed to heal at all now.

I plan to have a drunken weekend to help it go by faster. Than after work tuesday, my old fling from way back, Death, shall once again come home to embrace me.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Darth Windu posted:

SOTN didn't really have areas where I thought "Let me come back here later, these enemies are too strong." I just kept fighting through. Is that possible here? I mean, I expect to die a lot in the process, but I don't care about that. And there is always NG+ for a whole new level of challenge.

If it's anything like Demon Souls then it will come down to your skill and knowledge of the enemies attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbZm8UMpEI

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I posted this in the Demon's Souls thread and got no replies. Anyone here with Demon's Souls in the EU region willing to help?

quote:

If anyone can spare a pure bladestone for a SL120 in EU then I'd be grateful

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I'll bite, I clicked two dozen of these things.

http://goo.gl/t9rxe

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So ready to jump into this game. I'm on the fence right now as to whether I want to go with a lumber mountain of metal or a leather bound wanderer. Tuesday is gonna be a late night for me.

also heres my link if people are still clicking. http://goo.gl/qAwiP

Aside from gameplay I'm just really excited to see all the environments they've designed. Everything just looks so great and well detailed. And while I didn't get as far as I'd have liked in DeS I have a bit more experience than your average xboxer so I'm wondering how I'll fare against the Bro Phantoms on Live.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Znorps! posted:

So ready to jump into this game. I'm on the fence right now as to whether I want to go with a lumber mountain of metal or a leather bound wanderer. Tuesday is gonna be a late night for me.

also heres my link if people are still clicking. http://goo.gl/qAwiP

Aside from gameplay I'm just really excited to see all the environments they've designed. Everything just looks so great and well detailed. And while I didn't get as far as I'd have liked in DeS I have a bit more experience than your average xboxer so I'm wondering how I'll fare against the Bro Phantoms on Live.

I imagine you'll (hopefully) be put on our server so we can properly tenderize your noobs. It's so fun! :iamafag:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Talran posted:

I imagine you'll (hopefully) be put on our server so we can properly tenderize your noobs. It's so fun! :iamafag:

There won't be any cross-platform play, if that's what you're talking about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ultrachrist posted:

Can anyone confirm that the master key can be used more than once? Seems like a no brainer to start as thief if none of the other classes get special perks like that.

This was something I liked a lot about King's Field actually, instead of a generic consumable key item you get several unique keys that are all useful throughout the game. Most games today keys are either consumable or they're only needed for one or two specific items.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Smelly posted:

I'm pretty sure that invaders aren't allowed to heal at all now.

I plan to have a drunken weekend to help it go by faster. Than after work tuesday, my old fling from way back, Death, shall once again come home to embrace me.

Well I'm so bloody pleased for you - I have a whole week from today.

I wonder...if I could be drunk for a week?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^:patriot:

Hell, I don't see why you can't be drunk for a week. ^^^

If the Masterkey is non-consumable and the only item you can't get through regular gameplay, it really is kind of a no brainer to pick as your gift.

I won't be picking a thief for it, I'll just take that as the one gift. I'm starting as a Knight; I mean, look at that armor. :swoon:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is it confirmed that the Masterkey is the only one you can't get through regular play?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

There won't be any cross-platform play, if that's what you're talking about.

drat, and I was hoping to help/hurt people. D:
Oh well, at least there's a substantial PS3 population already in Japan, and hopefully at least half the Americans will buy the PS3 version..

Darth Windu posted:

Is it confirmed that the Masterkey is the only one you can't get through regular play?

Confirmed so far that it's late enough at the very least to not have the advantages of it. But still not found.

If it was early enough, people would have it already. :x
Edit:

Smelly posted:

If the Masterkey is non-consumable and the only item you can't get through regular gameplay, it really is kind of a no brainer to pick as your gift.

I won't be picking a thief for it, I'll just take that as the one gift. I'm starting as a Knight; I mean, look at that armor. :swoon:

I didn't pick it, and didn't realize just how useful it would have been.... So picking it my second run through on a fresh character.

Talran fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 30, 2011

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
There'll be plenty of new blood to spill on both platforms due to the wonderful advertising this game has gotten. The 360 will probably have more clueless newbies though due to the popularity of it in the west.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Anyone know how the warrior's starting shield compares to the knight's? I played knight in Demon's Souls but I'm liking the warrior's starting stats, etc a lot better here.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Anyone know how the warrior's starting shield compares to the knight's? I played knight in Demon's Souls but I'm liking the warrior's starting stats, etc a lot better here.

If it is anything like Demon's Souls, it'll be only slightly worse. The heater shield was the shield I used most often, since it was the lightest shield that also blocked 100% of physical damage.

MMania
May 7, 2008

der juicen posted:

I'm just trying to find the easiest route, since I cannot use the block button, unless I can change it. Which I probably cannot. If anyone can point me to a fully programmable controller for the xb360, that'd be sweet.

Man this thread moves fast, people have sort of moved on from this but I'm one boss away from beating NG+ in Demon's Souls without using a shield. Blocking with weapons isn't worth the stamina loss so you're not missing out when you're two-handing.

It's not the traditional way of playing, and you will die a lot when you round a corner into a pack of enemies you didn't know was there, but it is fun as hell when it works. You can also stick to co-op, just hang back and let the guy with the shield take the first hit and circle around for a backstab. Everyone will just think you're a badass who doesn't need a shield.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I went with the easiest class to start with in Demon's Souls (that priest that starts out with hammer and armor).

This time I think I'll do it right and go with Deprived so that each rusty piece of poo poo sword, each tattered pair of boots will be a godsend from heaven.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I'm considering getting a console to play these games since they seem to be exactly what I want. I don't want to start a console war or whatever, but I am curious .. If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Brother Scrotum posted:

I'm considering getting a console to play these games since they seem to be exactly what I want. I don't want to start a console war or whatever, but I am curious .. If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Demon's Souls is only available on PS3 and Dark Souls is supposedly virtually identical on either console, but perhaps slightly superior on PS3.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Brother Scrotum posted:

Most are going to tell you PS3, since that's the only console Demon's Souls is on and the native console for Dark Souls.

However, aside from controller issues (The bumpers are the main buttons you'll be using on 360) It seems that the PS3/360 versions are nearly identical.

So, just go with whatever interests you the most.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Brother Scrotum posted:

If you go ps3 you can play both demon souls and dark souls. 360 only has Dark souls. From what I hear Dark Souls is for the most part the same on each system.

edit-beaten twice

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
I've been clicking all these links, and I have no idea if they're doing anything, but on the off chance that they are, here's mine: http://goo.gl/MbJ9C

Rathi04
Dec 31, 2006
http://goo.gl/eIRgV

Runes are changing on the website, I need some soul energy. I'm clicking every link I see as well.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Any Scottish goons reading this, you can pick the limited edition up right loving now at G-force in Glasgow union street.

I have the biggest :smug: face right now. So glad I didn't have to wait until next week.

See you all on the other side.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rathi04 posted:

http://goo.gl/eIRgV

Runes are changing on the website, I need some soul energy. I'm clicking every link I see as well.
What runes? I don't really see anything to do besides look at my rank and number of tokens. I spun the wheel a couple times and never saw it again. :ohdear:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

MMania posted:

Man this thread moves fast, people have sort of moved on from this but I'm one boss away from beating NG+ in Demon's Souls without using a shield. Blocking with weapons isn't worth the stamina loss so you're not missing out when you're two-handing.

It's not the traditional way of playing, and you will die a lot when you round a corner into a pack of enemies you didn't know was there, but it is fun as hell when it works. You can also stick to co-op, just hang back and let the guy with the shield take the first hit and circle around for a backstab. Everyone will just think you're a badass who doesn't need a shield.

Not to mention how badass you feel when you do it. That and if you stay untethered you can summon comp coops very easily.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
Here's my code in anticipation for this http://goo.gl/SlGxq. It is so hard not to break and watch anything that will spoil this for me, I cannot wait to have this game make me run like a scared bitch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brother Scrotum posted:

If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Keep in mind that to play online with the 360 you need to pay for a subscription. The PS3 does not require one.

If you're trying to make a console decision I'd suggest looking for other games you're interested in and make a selection based on which system has more exclusives that you'd want to play.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's really hard to resist the urge to call up nearby gamestops and see if they broke the street date. I want to play this game right now.

I wonder if they'd even tell me over the phone.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sankis posted:

It's really hard to resist the urge to call up nearby gamestops and see if they broke the street date. I want to play this game right now.

I wonder if they'd even tell me over the phone.

Only way I can see them telling you, is if you ask if it's available.

If you ask if they broke street date directly I'm sure they'd clam up and tell you no regardless.

Rathi04
Dec 31, 2006

coyo7e posted:

What runes? I don't really see anything to do besides look at my rank and number of tokens. I spun the wheel a couple times and never saw it again. :ohdear:

On the background with the knight, there are runes on the wall. At first I could only click one, but now more are lighting up to click on.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Smelly posted:

Most are going to tell you PS3, since that's the only console Demon's Souls is on and the native console for Dark Souls.

However, aside from controller issues (The bumpers are the main buttons you'll be using on 360) It seems that the PS3/360 versions are nearly identical.

So, just go with whatever interests you the most.

The only other thing I could add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an Xbox Live subscription to get any of the online functionality on 360?

ConfliktedMind
Mar 13, 2007

coyo7e posted:

OK, to give you fully spoilerific explanation to the best of my knowledge, from what I've been able to pick up:

Evidently on that page, one of the runes around the statue glimmers very faintly every couple seconds, however it doesn't function properly on all browsers, namely Firefox. It has been confirmed to work on Google Chrome. This is the first step of what is commonly referred to as the "Glyph Puzzle" wherein you get 8 clicks to correctly pick 30 runes in order. As far as I've been able to find out, there is no strategic way to solve this puzzle, and it's either sheer dumb luck, or brazen cheating to solve it. The method I used to beat it was mentioned by one of the mods on their forums. While on that page, after clicking the first glowing rune, type java script:mg.hint() into the url bar and that should make the next rune glimmer briefly. Once you get all 30 runes it gives you a code which you can redeem on that page for an achievement and 2 tokens(it might also give soul energy, as my rank subsequently skyrocketed.) It seems the tokens are what that spinner uses, but at present, the page seems to be hosed so a lot of aspects of it aren't working properly.

There also seem to be other puzzles tied to the site, though I'm not entirely sure how to access them. I think one of them may be somehow linked to following it on twitter, as I've been hearing a lot about people getting pieces of some puzzle and collaborating to try to complete it.

edit: Not entirely sure why, but in the actual post it puts a space between java and script. There should not be a space.

ConfliktedMind fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Ahh, thanks! :)

The Wise Teen posted:

The only other thing I could add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an Xbox Live subscription to get any of the online functionality on 360?
Yep.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Do you turn the tokens in on the preparetodie website in on anything? Or what?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'm clicking like crazy!

Heres mine: Clicky

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
The chinaman that runs my local game shop said that the developers inserted phantoms with max stats into the game to prevent people from having fun before release date. Confirm/Deny?

VVV: Were they CPU or player controlled? That's funny as hell

Evil the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Evil the Cat posted:

The chinaman that runs my local game shop said that the developers inserted phantoms with max stats into the game to prevent people from having fun before release date. Confirm/Deny?

When people in Japan were playing it before release, From Software was invading their worlds with extremely amped up characters.

I don't think they are still doing that.

• Locked thread