Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

flamingdawg posted:

if you like earthless, give 35007 a try: http://youtu.be/dPv9dPCKYAw

35007 is awesome and everyone should listen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I live in Paris and next weekend I'll get to see UFOMAMMUT and YOB for their one dates in France(in small venues too). Two different shows, meaning entire indoor sets. Im pretty loving excited as you know I should.

So I know these guys well but not the other groups, Morkobot & Worn Out play with UFOMAMMUT on friday, and Dark Castle & Kongh wih YOB on sunday. If you've seen em can you recommend stuff for a first listen?

To paraphrase - should I give a poo poo about them or not because, well, UFOMAMMUT & YOB.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

White Rabbit posted:

I live in Paris and next weekend I'll get to see UFOMAMMUT and YOB for their one dates in France(in small venues too). Two different shows, meaning entire indoor sets. Im pretty loving excited as you know I should.

So I know these guys well but not the other groups, Morkobot & Worn Out play with UFOMAMMUT on friday, and Dark Castle & Kongh wih YOB on sunday. If you've seen em can you recommend stuff for a first listen?

To paraphrase - should I give a poo poo about them or not because, well, UFOMAMMUT & YOB.

Dark Castle owns and you should listen to both of their albums (Spirited Migration and Surrender to all Life Beyond Form). Also Stevie from Dark Castle is pretty.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Polegrinder posted:

Also Stevie from Dark Castle is pretty.

And dating the singer of Yob, so gently caress him basically

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

QPZIL posted:

And dating the singer of Yob, so gently caress him basically

I thought Scheidt has kids? Not that the two are mutually exclusive, mind you.

Morkobot is pretty good (and they're probably the UFOMAMMUT chaps in disguise I reckon) and Kongh is pretty great as well (and sorely overlooked in this here thread), in my humble but correct opinion.

Have some Morkobot: http://youtu.be/qvawu9X_gzk
& Kongh: http://youtu.be/qTGj4Ln6pfM

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nosophoros posted:

Eh, when I saw them, Mike and Stevie were holding hands and kissing soooo, who knows.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

nosophoros posted:

Morkobot is pretty good (and they're probably the UFOMAMMUT chaps in disguise I reckon)

Have some Morkobot: http://youtu.be/qvawu9X_gzk
& Kongh: http://youtu.be/qTGj4Ln6pfM

Nah, totally different people. Saw Ufomammut and Morkobot on saturday and both were great. Morkobot was a pleasant surprise actually, I bought their new CD from the venue (the other bass player was on sale duty :cool: ). Their stuff is quite hypnotic, but it's so much better heard live and REALLY loving LOUD.

Bring plenty of cash with you so you can score their CD's, t-shirts and some pretty bitchin' silkscreens (they range from 25 to 85 euros, sadly I was unable to score one).

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Just dropping in to post about a split released by some friends.

Sadgiqacea Side: http://sadgiqacea.bandcamp.com/
Grass Side: http://sludgegrass.bandcamp.com/

You can read my review of it here should you need some words to convince you: http://www.stereokiller.com/newsreviews/article.cfm?Review=Sadgiqacea%2FGrass-Split&intarticleid=10758

If you're in the Philadelphia area you should check out AuralWarfare: http://www.facebook.com/AuralWarfare?ref=ts

A collective of Philadelphia area musicians who are using that name to promote touring music that comes through the city. We are also going to eventually be releasing tapes/cds/vinyl, but that's something for the future. Mostly going to be for our own endeavors but I'm hoping to help out another band or two down the line.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

nosophoros posted:

I believe Scheidt has two kids from a prior relationship.

This past Sunday, nine of Vancouver's finest sludge riffers got together at the Astoria to lay down some doom. The interesting part is that five of them are drummers.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I believe Scheidt has two kids from a prior relationship.

This past Sunday, nine of Vancouver's finest sludge riffers got together at the Astoria to lay down some doom. The interesting part is that five of them are drummers.

Aw what the hell, how did I miss that?!

Crap.

Ah well, checked out Fight Amp/Bison/Saviours/Weedeater last night, it was pretty solid. I was mostly there to see Bison and they ripped it up. Can't wait til their next local show.

I left halfway through Weedeater, I was tired and everything was just melting together at that point.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Juaguocio posted:

:zombie:FUUUUUUUCK
I would love to see that. I could even go for some more guitars and basses.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Review for the new Black Tusk LP, Set the Dial, out October 25th.

It rips pretty loving hard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waiting for this one, can't wait to hear some samples.

Here's one http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/09/29/black-tusk-crossroads-and-thunder-song/

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 29, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
More great Roadburn news, Bongripper are playing two sets, one of them being Satan Worshipping Doom in full.

No words.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Bongripper are playing two sets, one of them being Satan Worshipping Doom in full.

Just saw this, anyone going to this is a lucky person. I don't think they ever played Hail live yet.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just saw this, anyone going to this is a lucky person. I don't think they ever played Haillive yet.
Personally I love the whole album but when I'm in the mood for something heavy as poo poo, "Doom" really does it for me.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Welp, that's me buying Sunday Afterburner tickets as well then. Great loving news!

EDIT for content: Recently listened to The Great Barrier Reefer in full, the middle part is beyond chill, and it's a pretty good listen but not much of a focused effort on their part.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I absolutely love the middle section - one of those riffs that's good enough on its own merits that it can be played over and over for 10 minutes. Nice use of delay/looping too. The ending is great, too. Good to hear their roots anyway but Hippie Killer is definitely a superior follow-up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Personally I love the whole album but when I'm in the mood for something heavy as poo poo, "Doom" really does it for me.

I'm more of a Satan man myself, I could crank down the guitar and play those riffs all day.

Also according to the Roadburn site, they're working on two splits and then a new album. :worship:

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011
I'm moving into a new apartment this weekend and I'm in search of some good Satan Worshipping Goons-style images to rasterbate and put up on the walls. Anyone got any suggestions of great album art or live photos, or places to find them?

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
John Dyer Baizley (of Baroness) is a fantastic artist. He's done the art for all of Baroness's albums as well as several other bands, including Kylesa, Black Tusk, and Skeletonwitch. This wiki page lists albums he's done art for, but he's got some other great stuff around the net too.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Geddy Krueger posted:

John Dyer Baizley (of Baroness) is a fantastic artist. He's done the art for all of Baroness's albums as well as several other bands, including Kylesa, Black Tusk, and Skeletonwitch. This wiki page lists albums he's done art for, but he's got some other great stuff around the net too.

He also did the awesome cover for Twilight Ritual by Deadbird who everybody in this thread should check out. Sweet sludgy metal, featuring members (ex and present) of Rwake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjLEpXmzbnY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great footage of Kylesa at Hellfest 2011

Setlist posted:

01-DON'T LOOK BACK
02-UNKNOWN AWARENESS
03-SAID AND DONE
04-TIRED CLIMB
05-DISTANCE CLOSING IN
06-BOTTOM LINE
07-FORSAKEN
08-CROWDED ROAD
09-RUNNING RED

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah I absolutely love the middle section - one of those riffs that's good enough on its own merits that it can be played over and over for 10 minutes. Nice use of delay/looping too. The ending is great, too. Good to hear their roots anyway but Hippie Killer is definitely a superior follow-up

Ya, that middle clean section starting around 42m is by far my favorite. It's just 20 minutes of mind soothing beauty, I love that in doom music if you really enjoy a song you can be happy that its gonna go on forever.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I posted these guys' rough demo awhile ago. They have a promo EP that was done up right and sounds amazing. It's pretty cheap too, FREE!!!! Has two new songs from the other EP they put out earlier (4 songs total 2 new, 2 old).

http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-eyes-promo-ep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43yxYg9Ew0

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Polegrinder posted:

I posted these guys' rough demo awhile ago. They have a promo EP that was done up right and sounds amazing. It's pretty cheap too, FREE!!!! Has two new songs from the other EP they put out earlier (4 songs total 2 new, 2 old).

http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-eyes-promo-ep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43yxYg9Ew0

Everyone listen to this, I haven't checked it out yet but the demo he posted a while back was awesome.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Just found out about Monument of Urns. They're pretty neat drone metal with interesting black metal-ish ambient vocals.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
Going to see kyuss lives tonight, still in denial that it's happening. Is monstro worth showing up early?

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
I saw Kyuss last night in Austin and it was everything I hoped it'd be. They sounded great, the set list covered a lot of ground, and they all seemed like they were into it. It's worth the price of admission just to see Brant behind the kit playing those songs.

As for Monstro, I walked in to catch their last couple of songs. They didn't do it for me but to be fair I wasn't that interested in the first place. I thought they sounded like one of those Tool clones of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Definitely catch The Sword, though.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Are they still playing nothing from Wretch? I'm not a huge fan of the album but I would have loved to have heard Katzenjammer or Love Has Passed Me By when I saw them.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
So my roommate just told me about Harkonen and their other band, Helms Alee, and after a few cursory Dune jokes, I checked 'em out. They are pretty awesome in a pretty heavy way and definitely belong in this thread. I now want to form a sludge band called Atreides.

Harkonen - Grizz
Harkonen - Neverlanders
Helms Alee - Paraphrase

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER

Crackerman posted:

Are they still playing nothing from Wretch? I'm not a huge fan of the album but I would have loved to have heard Katzenjammer or Love Has Passed Me By when I saw them.

Katzenjammer or stage III woulda been great, but it was basically all blues for the red sun and sky valley, plus fatso forgotso and one or two off circus leaves town, with spaceship landing for the encore.

Amazing show anyway, and I don't regret the noticeable hearing loss in my right ear :unsmith:

Also the sword was pretty good!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Great footage of Kylesa at Hellfest 2011

That was a great show.

And Roadburn suddenly became mandatory.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

In case anyone's interested, here's a live video from our latest gig. The sound quality is rather decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RtZMBpb1-c

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

If anybody is interested, I have a free download code for bongripper's hate ashbury lp and cd version. I don't wanna give both to one person, lemme know if yall want it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lordblytzkrieg posted:

If anybody is interested, I have a free download code for bongripper's hate ashbury lp and cd version. I don't wanna give both to one person, lemme know if yall want it.

I'd totally take the newer edition of Ashbury code if you still have it, I can't send PMs, not sure if I can receive them though.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I'd totally take the newer edition of Ashbury code if you still have it, I can't send PMs, not sure if I can receive them though.

Yea I still got it, I don't have PMs either if you have AIM just message me. My screen name is in my profile!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

an audible groan posted:

Katzenjammer or stage III woulda been great, but it was basically all blues for the red sun and sky valley, plus fatso forgotso and one or two off circus leaves town, with spaceship landing for the encore.

Amazing show anyway, and I don't regret the noticeable hearing loss in my right ear :unsmith:

From what I remember we got quite a bit from Circus which surprised me. Honestly I would have been perfectly happy to pay £30 to watch them do Whitewater over and over for hours.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

amplifier worship posted:

So my roommate just told me about Harkonen and their other band, Helms Alee, and after a few cursory Dune jokes, I checked 'em out. They are pretty awesome in a pretty heavy way and definitely belong in this thread. I now want to form a sludge band called Atreides.

Helms Alee are great, especially live!

Anyways, I just listened to Ghost's Opus Eponymous for the first time. Fuckin digging this a lot. Any suggestions for similar sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

More Gore posted:

Helms Alee are great, especially live!

Anyways, I just listened to Ghost's Opus Eponymous for the first time. Fuckin digging this a lot. Any suggestions for similar sounds?

Not exactly the same, but try Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats.