Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Because you don't drill takedowns nearly as much in BJJ. It isn't that complicated.

I'm asking specifically about mat work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

I'm asking specifically about mat work.

Then you're going to have to explain what you're talking about because there really aren't any good bjj guys who are bad at "mat work"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Nick and Nate Diaz. Mac Danzig, but I think he's probably just stupid. Diego Sanchez to an extent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

Nick and Nate Diaz. Mac Danzig, but I think he's probably just stupid. Diego Sanchez to an extent.

None of those guys are bad at "mat work".

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Meat Recital posted:

The point is that your use of the term "mat work" is overly vague and you need to clarify what exactly you mean if you want a clear answer.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
i'm 99% sure he means "top control"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Nevermind.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thermos H Christ posted:

i'm 99% sure he means "top control"

Even if that were the case, I can't easily think of times where they were getting swept or just had really inert top games.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
realtalk can you explain what you mean by matwork? it seems like you have something very specific in mind.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
it's like horizontal wallgame

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I've asked about concussion awareness in MMA in this thread before, but this time I was wondering how much of a concern it is at an amateur level?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

I've asked about concussion awareness in MMA in this thread before, but this time I was wondering how much of a concern it is at an amateur level?

refs tend to be a lot quicker to stop it in the amateurs, and USKBA amateur rules (which is what's usually used on the east coast, although things do differ by promotion) don't allow punches to the head on the ground, which means there's less follow-up shots involved, which reduces risk. It's still a concern, obviously, but not moreso than club-level hockey or football.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks, a most adequate response!

I was just curious because a friend of mine does amateur MMA training and I saw a video from a tournament he was in. The guy he beat got knocked around more than I expected at an amateur level.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I realize that Joe Rogan is required to say these things due to being a professional hype man, but on the UFC 135 preview, he called Jon Jones "The greatest pure talent in the history of the UFC". That seems a little suspect, at least at this point. I would hardly call myself a UFC expert but wouldn't someone like Anderson or GSP who ran over a weightclass for years hold that distinction, or even older guys like Liddell or Matt Hughes? Is Jon Jones already considered all-time great like those guys?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

projecthalaxy posted:

I realize that Joe Rogan is required to say these things due to being a professional hype man, but on the UFC 135 preview, he called Jon Jones "The greatest pure talent in the history of the UFC". That seems a little suspect, at least at this point. I would hardly call myself a UFC expert but wouldn't someone like Anderson or GSP who ran over a weightclass for years hold that distinction, or even older guys like Liddell or Matt Hughes? Is Jon Jones already considered all-time great like those guys?

The reason why Jon Jones gets the praise he does is because he is essentially undefeated, has never been in danger in any of his fights, and is a champion at 24 years old. He's also just a physical freak in his weight division.

GSP and Anderson Silva have accomplished far more than Jon Jones but Jones has the talent to surpass what they have done in their careers.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

projecthalaxy posted:

"Greatest pure talent" reads to me as "greatest combination of aptitude, physical build, and athleticism." In which case, yeah. GSP and Anderson are true virtuosos; JBJ has been absolutely brilliant but needs another few wins to demonstrate that kind of sheer excellence.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I dont know if you are a football fan, if you are not then this is not helpful and I am sorry.

Jones would be the #1 pick of pretty much any theoretical MMA draft class. Sometimes those number one picks turn into Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman, sometimes they turn into Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell. They are all still #1 picks, no matter how great/terrible they finally play.

...Sometimes, the last pick of the draft turns into Tom Brady, so "greatest pure talent" is really not an infallible measure of total success.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Xguard86 posted:

I dont know if you are a football fan, if you are not then this is not helpful and I am sorry.

Jones would be the #1 pick of pretty much any theoretical MMA draft class. Sometimes those number one picks turn into Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman, sometimes they turn into Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell. They are all still #1 picks, no matter how great/terrible they finally play.

...Sometimes, the last pick of the draft turns into Tom Brady, so "greatest pure talent" is really not an infallible measure of total success.

yeah but using that analogy we can see Jon Jones already won a super bowl (the UFC belt). Now it just remains to be seen how many records he sets.

There is no denying Jon Jones has the talent. It isn't a big question like college football players making the transition to the NFL. Jon Jones has already done something like 95% of UFC fighters will never do.

If you did your analogy back when Jon Jones was fighting on the regional circuit then I think it would hold up better.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
well its a flawed analogy because college football is so high profile that potential #1 draft choices (IE: the Army All American Game) are predicted even when they are still in High School. In a theoretical MMA world were amateur fights receive that kind of scrutiny, Bones would be a top pick. Someone like Brock Lesnar or Bj Penn would also be a #1, but you wouldn't take say Edgar or a young GSP and say they're going to be hall of famers.

MMA is also different because its an individual sport and you can capitalize on lucky breaks better than sports with seasons and set playoff structures. You don't have to win a set number of fights or rely on things like your teammates to win, so guys can climb out of obscurity to the top level extremely quickly.

It was just a way to express the difference between talent and accomplishments in a more familiar format.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 25, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

well its a flawed analogy because college football is so high profile that potential #1 draft choices (IE: the Army All American Game) are predicted even when they are still in High School. In a theoretical MMA world were amateur fights receive that kind of scrutiny, Bones would be a top pick. Someone like Brock Lesnar or Bj Penn would also be a #1, but you wouldn't take say Edgar or a young GSP and say they're going to be hall of famers.

MMA is also different because its an individual sport and you can capitalize on lucky breaks better than sports with seasons and set playoff structures. You don't have to win a set number of fights or rely on things like your teammates to win, so guys can climb out of obscurity to the top level extremely quickly.

It was just a way to express the difference between talent and accomplishments in a more familiar format.

More like heissman winners there were more storied and experienced guys in the running last year but it went to the most productive player.

GSP is Andrew luck and jbj is Cam Newton

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

BlindSite posted:

GSP is Andrew luck and jbj is Cam Newton

Tito is Brett Favre.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Someone like Brock Lesnar or Bj Penn would also be a #1, but you wouldn't take say Edgar or a young GSP and say they're going to be hall of famers.

Ahem. :smug:

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
fatherdog saying a Jersey fighter is going to be good is like your mom telling you you're handsome

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Agent Tough Juice posted:

fatherdog saying a Jersey fighter is going to be good is like your mom telling you you're handsome

I still haven't seen an explanation given for Ricardo Romero last night.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I think the statement can be read in a number of ways but for whatever it's worth I agree that JJ could be fairly described as someone with the most raw talent upon entering MMA. He wasn't described as having achieved the most or as the most experienced, but with the largest base talent.

Xguard86 posted:

Could you talk about that or link an article? I know nothing about football but I am curious what that means.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

they take the best Highschool prospects in the country and have them play a big football game in January after their senior seasons. It is sponsored by the US army, which is why its called the army all american game.

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/historyfiles/history.php

You can read a little about how it started, its all actually pretty interesting, if you flip through a copy of The Blind Side.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Xguard86 posted:

You can read a little about how it started, its all actually pretty interesting, if you flip through a copy of The Blind Side.
Thanks for the info. I've read Moneyball and The Big Short and enjoyed both, I'll get to The Blind Side eventually.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I just watched Saku/Renzo and Renzo struck me as the most complete fighter out of the Gracie brood. Are there any particularly good fights of his I should check out?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I just watched Saku/Renzo and Renzo struck me as the most complete fighter out of the Gracie brood. Are there any particularly good fights of his I should check out?

Renzo v Carlos Newton is a match from the same time period with the same type of action and pace so you will certainly enjoy that if you enjoyed sakuraba v renzo

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
you should watch renzo vs matt hughes because it is perfect

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

His fight with BJ was kind of cool, if a little gassy.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Why do Chute Boxe guys spar like they're fighting to the death? I thought light sparring was the thing in modern MMA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Chute Box no longer exists because a lot of fighters like Anderson Silva thought sparring hard was stupid. It lives on in spirit at Kings MMA, where Chute Boxe trainer Rafael Cordeiro trains Shogun, Wandy, and Werdum (other guys like Munoz and Mayhem also train there).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Chute Box is not modern MMA. many of its former fighters are still around, but the team itself is basically gone and most of the old guys are on their way out. No one trains that way today because everyone has seen the results and no one wants to be "the world's oldest 35 year old"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Why do Chute Boxe guys spar like they're fighting to the death? I thought light sparring was the thing in modern MMA.

The aim and the outcome bread guys who were lethal strikers, rarely if ever got overwhelmed by opponents who had a rediculous killer instinct.

Their most famous alumi are all guys who were considered pretty terrifying.

Like was mentioned though it breeds dudes who's bodies break down pretty quickly, Wanderly really started breaking down in 2006 at 30 and went from hard to finish to knocked out in the open stages by Chris Leben (though he does punch loving hard)

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

theDOWmustflow posted:

MMA question #2: How big of a piece of poo poo is Chael Sonnen for Anderson Silva to do stuff like this:

I've only just recently started following MMA again (stopped around 2008ish) but I remember Anderson Silva being a class act back in Pride.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1st AD posted:

Chute Box no longer exists because a lot of fighters like Anderson Silva thought sparring hard was stupid. It lives on in spirit at Kings MMA, where Chute Boxe trainer Rafael Cordeiro trains Shogun, Wandy, and Werdum (other guys like Munoz and Mayhem also train there).

Wasn't Rudimar Fedrigo the head trainer or was he more of a manager-type dude? I wonder what he's up to these days.

Anyways if anyone hasn't watched the Chute Boxe black belt exam video then I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy seeing Werdum be a prick to some dude.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I could hear shogun yelling the background. I kept expecting him to jump in but i guess even chute boxe has limits to its cruelty.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

BlindSite posted:

The aim and the outcome bread guys who were lethal strikers, rarely if ever got overwhelmed by opponents who had a rediculous killer instinct.

Their most famous alumi are all guys who were considered pretty terrifying.

Like was mentioned though it breeds dudes who's bodies break down pretty quickly, Wanderly really started breaking down in 2006 at 30 and went from hard to finish to knocked out in the open stages by Chris Leben (though he does punch loving hard)

There is a difference between what Chute Boxe did and just sparring hard. Camps like Golden Glory are also known for sparring hard, but nobody ever talks about their fighters falling apart.

Sparring hard hones skills in a way light sparring cant. You shouldnt ALWAYS spar hard, but its not like hard sparring cuases you to become Wand or have Shogun knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Manto rashguards are pretty much the best investment you can make into BJJ gear and are well worth the price

no one asked, this is just an indisputable fact