Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of maps, did he ever implement a map cloning system? I remember him saying before they where put in that you'd be able to see the location of everyone who had a map, and thought this would be awesome if you could place one of the maps on a wall to use as a a quasi-radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eiba posted:

No use in the 1.9 prerelease maybe. Sounds like it'll have a use in the real thing:

I have to say, besides the random part, it sounds like a pretty awesome way to make items more personal, which is fantastic.

Eh, the random part isn't even that bad in this context: oh no an enchant you didn't want on the iron sword. Stick it in the chest and make another one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Drox posted:

Eh, the random part isn't even that bad in this context: oh no an enchant you didn't want on the iron sword. Stick it in the chest and make another one.

Gonna suck when you're trying to enchant diamond gear.

Still, with the enchantment effects already coded in I can't imagine it'll be that long before someone comes along and mods individual recipes for each or something.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
True enough, but I so rarely make diamond anything. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

glitchwraith posted:

Speaking of maps, did he ever implement a map cloning system? I remember him saying before they where put in that you'd be able to see the location of everyone who had a map, and thought this would be awesome if you could place one of the maps on a wall to use as a a quasi-radar.

On servers, people with admin access can give copies of any given map id to any player they choose, and anyone who walks around with say map_0 updates map_0 for all other players on the server. No radar or other person locator functionality tho.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

On the bright side, when you get your crappy non-wanted diamond enchanted sword, you can always use it as repair fodder.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Please let us enchant bows to make them shoot without ammo. Please.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cephalocidal posted:

If cauldrons can hold more liquid (x16 buckets worth) and be dropped into minecarts like forges and chests, I can see this as completely awesome for certain sorts of large-scale constructions. Magma train!

How would this differ from a chest full of lava buckets?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

King Crab posted:

Honestly, the best thing that notch could put in would be being able to put your maps on the wall. I'd love to be able to compose a map of the world.

I've wanted wall-mountable clocks or a grandfather clock for the longest time. The game needs more home furnishings in general. I keep going to build mansions, then running out of things to do with rooms.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

MrChupon posted:

How would this differ from a chest full of lava buckets?

Presumably because you could just reuse the same bucket to top up the cauldron rather than crafting X many and wasting a huge amount of iron.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wait, what is notch doing to the offical forums?

Nothing, code wise. Jeb's and Notch's tweets about potions and enchantments have thrown a bunch of people into a frenzy, saying Notch doesn't get what Minecraft is supposed to be and other horrible insane rantings about how Minecraft is a joke now thanks to Notch. It's great. I've never seen a gaming community get so mad about things being added to a game in beta

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 30, 2011

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I thought that using lava buckets as fuel consumed the bucket, but I haven't done it so maybe I misread.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nothing, code wise. Jeb;s and Notch's tweets about potions and enchantments have thrown a bunch of people into a frenzy, saying Notch doesn't get what Minecraft is supposed to be and other horrible insane rantings about how Minecraft is a joke now thanks to Notch. It's great. I've never seen a gaming community get so mad about things being added to a game in beta

poo poo like that always reminds me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQnAhSzb4gY&t=65s

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

glug posted:

I thought that using lava buckets as fuel consumed the bucket, but I haven't done it so maybe I misread.

Earlier you lost the bucket, but that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Just like you get to keep the buckets when you make a cake.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've never seen a gaming community get so mad about things being added to a game in beta

Can we get some choice quotes or links to threads? I want to see how magic and potions, a gaming staple, have turned "Let's make giant lava spewing dongs: the game" into a joke.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

And lots of new records to play!
Finally! Maybe notch still does read this. :) Or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Earlier you lost the bucket, but that hasn't been the case for a long time now. Just like you get to keep the buckets when you make a cake.

I could have sworn I tried this in 1.8.1, and the "fuel" slot in the furnace never took on the lava bucket picture where it would normally show coal -- it was just a blank grey square. Yet I was still able to smelt things, and it ate the lava and bucket. (i think, I'm at work or I'd try it again.)

Then I logged onto that server like 2-3 days later, and went to put more items in that furnace, but nothing would cook anymore, as if it "forgot" the lava bucket should still be there. There is no way I used it up, I only smelted like 64 items.

All of this was on a Vanilla SMP server, not even running so much as a texture pack.

I'd be very interested in being wrong, as I would love to stop mining so much coal and am intrigued by the idea of not having to re-fuel my furnaces very often.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 30, 2011

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Popo posted:

Can we get some choice quotes or links to threads? I want to see how magic and potions, a gaming staple, have turned "Let's make giant lava spewing dongs: the game" into a joke.

Your wish is my command! Enjoy!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Not able to thankfully hit those at work, but just from the title.. ragequit a non-subscription game based on new features? gently caress man, just do it. Don't tell the world, don't convince everyone else that you're right for doing it, just hit notch where it hurts, in that $0 sub fee. If everyone does this, they'll know how bad they screwed up. Minecraft is the next SW:Galaxies.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

MrChupon posted:

I could have sworn I tried this in 1.8.1, and the "fuel" slot in the furnace never took on the lava bucket picture where it would normally show coal -- it was just a blank grey square. Yet I was still able to smelt things, and it ate the lava and bucket. (i think, I'm at work or I'd try it again.)

Then I logged onto that server like 2-3 days later, and went to put more items in that furnace, but nothing would cook anymore, as if it "forgot" the lava bucket should still be there. There is no way I used it up, I only smelted like 64 items.

All of this was on a Vanilla SMP server, not even running so much as a texture pack.

I'd be very interested in being wrong, as I would love to stop mining so much coal and am intrigued by the idea of not having to re-fuel my furnaces very often.

When you put fuel and an item to cook in a furnace, it consumes one from the stack of fuel to fill up the flames. The duration of the flames is dependent on the fuel source. For every 10s of duration you'll cook one item, but if you run out of items the flame keeps going down (it won't use a second fuel item from the stack if you've got no more items to cook in the furnace though). So you put in the lava bucket, it consumed the lava bucket, and lit a 1000s flame. You smelted 64 items (640s) and the flame continued on for another 360s then went out.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MrChupon posted:

Furnace fuel doesn't last for a certain number of smelts, it lasts for a period of time. (The usual quoted number is the maximum number of items you can do in the time that fuel source lasts.) If you throw in a piece of coal and smelt less than 8 items, it will still burn up the whole piece of coal.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Your Lottery posted:

When you put fuel and an item to cook in a furnace, it consumes one from the stack of fuel to fill up the flames. The duration of the flames is dependent on the fuel source. For every 10s of duration you'll cook one item, but if you run out of items the flame keeps going down (it won't use a second fuel item from the stack if you've got no more items to cook in the furnace though). So you put in the lava bucket, it consumed the lava bucket, and lit a 1000s flame. You smelted 64 items (640s) and the flame continued on for another 360s then went out.

Ah, I see. So being a single item, the lava bucket needs to be used all at once, and can't be reserved as a long term on again/off again fuel source. I just think of coal that way, since who cares if I don't get max capacity out of 1 coal, it will stop before using up the stack.

Cardboard Captain
Apr 19, 2007
Corrugated

Haha, Minecraft Forum. Nothing posted there counts anyways; it's widely established that it is filled with small children with various developmental disabilities.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

I like how Bgbba whines about these changes making MC less sandbox but is also upset that Endermen no longer move all kind of blocks because of "builders bitching." The cognitive disconnect is beautiful.
At least even on the forums they seem to be treating him with the right amount of disdain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo I can't read those forums...

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

King Crab posted:

Honestly, the best thing that notch could put in would be being able to put your maps on the wall. I'd love to be able to compose a map of the world.

I want this and the ability to make a wall clock or grandfather clock.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Guys level with me, are fungus biomes an actual thing that's really in 1.9-pre-2 right now or have I been had? Because I have explored literally dozens of seeds now and I aint seen mooshroom one.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Tobaccrow posted:

I've wanted wall-mountable clocks or a grandfather clock for the longest time. The game needs more home furnishings in general. I keep going to build mansions, then running out of things to do with rooms.
Painterly has a painting set of stuff like generic cupboards, drawers shelves, curtains and cabinets as well as things like grandfather clocks.

Also there are loads of things to build in mansions. An entrance hall with a grand staircase, a dining hall, bedrooms, bathroom(s), a kitchen, a parlour, the servants' quarters, a music room (preferably with a grand piano), a library, a study, galleries, greenhouses, secret passages (no secret passages no mansion) etc.. Maybe a swimming pool, sauna, spanish garden, hedge maze or something else depending on the climate.

Wikipedia also has a huge list of stuff like this room: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttery_%28shop%29

Sam Hall posted:

Guys level with me, are fungus biomes an actual thing that's really in 1.9-pre-2 right now or have I been had? Because I have explored literally dozens of seeds now and I aint seen mooshroom one.
Use the seed 5630765669477878057 in 1.9 and go to x=2, z=125.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I love that guy getting angry because minecraft implements humor and doesn't take itself that seriously with snow golems and and funny looking humans. Its that kind of stuff that's part of the reason minecraft is so unique. For the love of God, its a game with no plot, no purpose, and located in a cartoonish landscape made of pixelated cubes. Since when did people start thinking that it needed a realistic theme?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Dos posted:

I want this and the ability to make a wall clock or grandfather clock.

A placeable compass would also be nice, to be used in conjunction with boat and airship mods.

...I guess it wouldn't be much use in a house.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

A placeable compass would also be nice, to be used in conjunction with boat and airship mods.

...I guess it wouldn't be much use in a house.

What, your house is attached to the ground? :colbert:

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Jellymouth posted:

I love that guy getting angry because minecraft implements humor and doesn't take itself that seriously with snow golems and and funny looking humans. Its that kind of stuff that's part of the reason minecraft is so unique. For the love of God, its a game with no plot, no purpose, and located in a cartoonish landscape made of pixelated cubes. Since when did people start thinking that it needed a realistic theme?

The same contingent of people that want bars for nutrition, warmth, cold, realistic diseases and other simulation aspects, I suppose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

What, your house is attached to the ground? :colbert:

When my house is no longer attached to the ground I cease referring to it as a house.
It is then a "mobile base of operations."

I use a strictly defined set of terminology when referring to Minecraft. Here, let me just post this 745 kB txt file detailing them all.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I have a question. I'm trying to play the second pre-release (download the jar, copy it over to the bin folder overwriting the old one), and it just blackscreens, or blackscreens and then goes white instead.

Can this be solved by (finally) downloading the new launcher and just using the exe? I've tried it with both the launcher and the browser and the launcher won't even connect, so I'm guessing I should just go do that and try again? Messing with files is confusing for someone with an English degree :sigh:

Oh, I'm on Windows 7 and have never modded my game in any way.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

BlueOccamy posted:

I have a question. I'm trying to play the second pre-release (download the jar, copy it over to the bin folder overwriting the old one), and it just blackscreens, or blackscreens and then goes white instead.

Can this be solved by (finally) downloading the new launcher and just using the exe? I've tried it with both the launcher and the browser and the launcher won't even connect, so I'm guessing I should just go do that and try again? Messing with files is confusing for someone with an English degree :sigh:

Oh, I'm on Windows 7 and have never modded my game in any way.

I personally just nuke the whole folder except for saves and texturepacks and do a fresh download every time a new release comes out.

Running the launcher will only get you the latest official release (1.8.x in this case)

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Schwarzwald posted:

When my house is no longer attached to the ground I cease referring to it as a house.
It is then a "mobile base of operations."

I use a strictly defined set of terminology when referring to Minecraft. Here, let me just post this 745 kB txt file detailing them all.

I wish flying houses could be made mobile.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vatek posted:

I wish flying houses could be made mobile.

Zeppelin mod. :ssh: (There are of course, certain limitations.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2011

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~
New Shadow of Israphel episode - including a visit from an old friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jajzWpVpJ8

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

babies havin rabies posted:

Running the launcher will only get you the latest official release (1.8.x in this case)

Correct, but the old launcher has been defunct for several patches now and I was just so used to using the browser that I hadn't thought to update it. Now that I have, I am able to play the pre-release with the exe :)

Hexadecimal Gnome, I'd like to just say that the Yogscast Minecraft videos were the only way I finished up my Insane title in WoW- I'd let myself fall behind with them, then watch about 5-10 (depending on the frequency of the mini video mod spotlights) while getting junkboxes for Ravenholdt ^.^

I'm currently staying a bit behind now to work on the Hero of Shatt feat, can't wait to see what everyone's been doing! I have to say that the video with the bunnies is my favourite, simply because of the way he freaks out and deletes the world when it's finally apparent that bunnies are out to rule the world!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Not really liking how fences hook up now.