Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Bagarthach posted:

I thought I'd give Nikita a shot since it seems to be mentioned pretty often in TVIV. Got through four episodes so far...does it get better or something?

I mean that fourth episode Chinese triad double agent at homeland security was just terrible. Bad dialog, bad acting, and do they have a list of action movie cliches they need check off for every episode (we're fighting! but, sexual tension!)? Also, straightjacket with exploding bolts wired to heart-rate monitor. :lol:

Is it just loved here because "hot girls & guns" or what?

It's made well enough to never have distractingly poor sets, action scenes or acting but the main attraction is the speed at which the show advances the plot. Every single character you see now will be in a hugely different situation at the end of the season, some of them dead without warning.

With so many shows dragging things out because they fear having to write something different then they are doing Nikita is hugely refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

I think goons hate it, and Felicia Day? I dunno. I've never played an MMO but I too thought it was a very charming, well-done little series, especially when Wil Wheaton showed up as The Ultimate rear end in a top hat.

Hm, I'm a little surprised to hear that goons would hate The Guild. I thought it would be right up the alley of most people who frequent these forums, with all the game culture in-jokes and hilariously broken, WoW-addicted personalities. At the very least you'd think the Joss Whedon types would appreciate it.

Who cares though, the show's great and now I'm all caught up with Season 5!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Southland. Binge watched Season 3 on DVR when TNT ran the reruns late night, still have to see episodes 2 and 3, but I think they're on TNT's site. So awesome.

The previous seasons' DVDs are drat near impossible to find, though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've been going through pysch lately, and it's a lot of fun.
I love that they change the opening theme for certain episodes, like the Xmas one, and the theme in Spanish in the soap opera episode.
All the small touches, nerdy references, and self-referential humour make this show great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also a Bollywood theme and one by Boyz II Men.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 28, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

rainbow kittens posted:

Seriously, guys. Check out The Vampire Diaries.

Don't read that OP until you've caught up though, it spoils a ton of poo poo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

wyoming posted:

I've been going through pysch lately, and it's a lot of fun.
I love that they change the opening theme for certain episodes, like the Xmas one, and the theme in Spanish in the soap opera episode.
All the small touches, nerdy references, and self-referential humour make this show great.

This really ramps up as the show goes on, especially with regards to the 80s references and stunt casting. For me it never reaches a point that it gets annoying though and I've found myself liking the show more and more as it goes on. I think a part of it is you never get the feeling it's doing this to be clever or show-off. It's more out of a genuine spirit of fun and love for the stuff it's referencing.

Another example of this is the fact that loads of episodes are directed by directors who are most known for films they made in the 80s (John Landis, John Badham and Martha Coolidge among them). Sometimes directing episodes that relate to the films they made. That's just adds to the fun of it all, but they don't make a big deal out of it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I saw a few episodes of the Stargate series with MacGyver in it years ago and never really got into the show. But I have been watching a lot of Atlantis, and after watching all of Enterprise, this show is great!

I especially like how I don't hate all of the main characters yet.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 29, 2011

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SouthLAnd posted:

I especially like how I don't hate all of the main characters yet.

Just wait till Teyla starts singing.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

You know that time I said I was sure if Lost was very good. Yeah...disregard that because it owns. They were just building up and every episode is action now and amazing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Scrapez posted:

You know that time I said I was sure if Lost was very good. Yeah...disregard that because it owns. They were just building up and every episode is action now and amazing.

How far are you? I'm about 4 episodes in to Season 3 and it's getting really....Different.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Parachute posted:

How far are you? I'm about 4 episodes in to Season 3 and it's getting really....Different.

You're close to the turning point. After the first seven episodes of season three they went on s mini hiatus and in the interim they negotiated an end date for the show, and after that point things really start to pick up momentum.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Parachute posted:

Well I just realized that I watched the last episode of season 2 so I'll be starting season 3 now. Now I'm a little worried about it but if it picks up I'll power through it until it gets good.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Scrapez posted:

Well I just realized that I watched the last episode of season 2 so I'll be starting season 3 now. Now I'm a little worried about it but if it picks up I'll power through it until it gets good.

Be warned though, season 3 also has one or two of the most despised episodes of the show. I guess you'll know them when you see them.

Then again, season 3 also has the best season finale I have ever seen. Lost might not be the best show ever, and season 3 might not be the best season of a show ever, but that finale is something else.

EDIT: By the way, I'm pretty sure the whole "end date" thing wasn't negotiated until later in the season. Wikipedia seems to back me up on that.

quote:

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is almost universally considered among Lost fans as the worst episode of the show, and was even recognized as such by show runner Damon Lindelof in an interview. It was part of the inspiration to set an end date for the series after season 6.

Stranger In A Strange Land was after the break.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 29, 2011

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
LOST was the first show I binged through when I got Netflix, having never seen a single episode when it originally aired. I'm really, really glad I did.

I recently finished watching Enterprise in its entirety (and I really liked it). Now I'm about to start another series on a completely different note - Breaking Bad.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

DominoDancing posted:

Be warned though, season 3 also has one or two of the most despised episodes of the show. I guess you'll know them when you see them.

Then again, season 3 also has the best season finale I have ever seen. Lost might not be the best show ever, and season 3 might not be the best season of a show ever, but that finale is something else.

EDIT: By the way, I'm pretty sure the whole "end date" thing wasn't negotiated until later in the season. Wikipedia seems to back me up on that.

Stranger In A Strange Land was after the break.

Yeah. Obviously they don't write and shoot TV shows in real-time; that episode was already in the can while they were still meandering. It was just an indirect example of how the network was forcing them to stretch things out and come up with answers to mysteries that don't matter. Season 3 just started with a mini-arc in the beginning because they chose to split the season up that way, since everyone was getting pissy about the scheduling being a few weeks on, a few weeks off, and wanted it to run straight through. Then viewers complained about that too. :downs:

The third season has some of the show's best though, especially toward the end (The Brig is one of my favorites).

Exposé is polarizing, but I love it. It's a hilarious, awesome, and totally macabre conclusion to two wedged-in redshirt characters.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I usually watch the show (LOST) after work, and around 11:00 I usually start fading, but where did the guy with medium-brown hair whose golf club Desmond borrowed come from? Unless it's one of those "You didn't miss this plot point, it just hasn't been revealed" feel free to point out what I may have missed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's just a newer character that they tried to shoehorn into the show and the audience hated him. He was on the same plane as the main group.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
So what's the appeal of Vampire Diaries ? Because the first few episodes of season one sucked hard and I ended up not watching the rest of the season that I borrowed. It's like some twilight clone with plastic surgery enhanced white people and teenage angst. I was expecting some surprise with this series because so many people here have been recommending it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

About a third through Star Trek TNG. Holy hell was season one painful. Encounter at Farpoint was such terrible writing that I think it gave me cancer.

Luckily there's a lot there to love as well :)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Flatscan posted:

Just wait till Teyla starts singing.

GODDAMNIT gently caress.

It's happening right now. :argh:

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Just finishing up season 5 of Smallville, it's... an interesting show. I wouldn't say it's good, but for some reason I keep watching. I'd say my favorite episodes so far are the ones that directly reference something from the wider DC universe. The three episodes with the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg all had me squealing like a schoolgirl.

Oh and the relationship between Lex and Lionel is amazing. If anything from this show needs to show up in the comic books it's that back story, especially the stuff about Lex's mom.

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2011

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Martytoof posted:

About a third through Star Trek TNG. Holy hell was season one painful. Encounter at Farpoint was such terrible writing that I think it gave me cancer.

Luckily there's a lot there to love as well :)

I watched through all 7 seasons of TNG for the first time one or two years ago, and I was shocked (SHOCKED) to realize how inconistent that show was. For every winner like "The Measure Of A Man" you have, well, pretty much any episode from the first season as its horrible counterpart. I really never noticed that when I was younger.

Also, for some reason I hated each and every episode with Lore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think that's because Brent Spiner is such a typecast actor in my mind. Anything that deviates from "Data" is just plain weird. Plus he has a tendency to completely ham up the part of Lore. We get that he's evil and has feelings, but the way he's portrayed it comes off as more comical than scary.

I think deep down I always knew how inconsistent the show was, but watching them all one after another really drove it home. They never bothered me this much when they were individual episodes on TV for some reason.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Modus Operandi posted:

So what's the appeal of Vampire Diaries ? Because the first few episodes of season one sucked hard and I ended up not watching the rest of the season that I borrowed. It's like some twilight clone with plastic surgery enhanced white people and teenage angst. I was expecting some surprise with this series because so many people here have been recommending it.

I was pretty much hooked by the third episode, Friday Night Bites. When Damon kills the football coach out of nowhere I knew the show was awesome.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wezzo posted:

Between seasons 5 and 6. :)

Thanks was trying to figure that out for a while.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Martytoof posted:

Plus he has a tendency to completely ham up the part of Lore. We get that he's evil and has feelings, but the way he's portrayed it comes off as more comical than scary.

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's like watching Dr. Evil.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's like watching Dr. Evil.

I think he's trying to play it as if lore is borderline psychotic -- a well mannered killer, but you're absolutely right -- Dr. Evil :haw:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only reason I have a hard time recommending Lost to anyone is that, while it was great and I was a raging fanboy the entire time (but especially seasons 4-6), pretty much immediately after it was over I forgot about it. And I'm not one of those "the ending was so disappointing" people exactly, it just... I don't know, it seems like almost nothing in the show ended up mattering. And it's a really long show to recommend to someone who might feel like I did, that they basically wasted 100+ hours on something they'll never even think of again.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

precision posted:

The only reason I have a hard time recommending Lost to anyone is that, while it was great and I was a raging fanboy the entire time (but especially seasons 4-6), pretty much immediately after it was over I forgot about it. And I'm not one of those "the ending was so disappointing" people exactly, it just... I don't know, it seems like almost nothing in the show ended up mattering. And it's a really long show to recommend to someone who might feel like I did, that they basically wasted 100+ hours on something they'll never even think of again.

That's pretty much how I feel about Lost, although I definitely wasn't a raging fanboy. I just have a hard time recommending it to anyone because it was such a huge time investment for not nearly as much enjoyment. It absolutely has some awesome moments throughout the series, but just not enough to justify 100+ hours of viewing.

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!
About a week after Lost ended, I stared at my DVD sets for the series, was filled a profound apathy, and went out and sold them all. They're the only DVDs I've ever sold.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

Ytadel posted:

About a week after Lost ended, I stared at my DVD sets for the series, was filled a profound apathy, and went out and sold them all. They're the only DVDs I've ever sold.

After watching the entire series, I was thankful that I never spent any money on the DVD sets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I recently finished plowing through Blake's 7. The first couple of episodes really psyched me out into thinking it was going to be a really heavy and dark series about a futile struggle against a faceless authoritarian state, then a few episodes later they drop in a supervillain or two. Also the "someone gets captured" schtick got old when it happened in seemingly every episode.

Third season started to fall apart for me since I didn't like Blake's departure from the series, moreso when they somehow cranked up the sexism for a while. Fourth season only held me because they really unleashed Paul Darrow.

Also I don't know if it was some sort of contemporary film theory fad or something, but it seems like British sci-fi from the late 70s is shot through with terrible pacing problems.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

precision posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about the show. I'd probably recommend it to someone else, but I don't think I could ever personally sit through it again. I think a lot of it is to do with the feeling that the show's big mysteries were made small by the way they're told as human stories. Mainly thinking of things like the DHARMA Initiative, the Others, and the Jacob/MiB back story. These plot elements all have this intense aesthetic of strangeness and mystery to them when they're first introduced, but over the course of the show we find out that behind these mysteries are just other characters going through their own drama and interpersonal conflicts. I enjoyed the drama while watching but after it's all said and done there doesn't seem to be any overarching aesthetic or resolution to the story arcs. It's just a bunch of people living their lives on a magic island.

I know it's a lovely reason to dismiss the show but that's just the way I feel about it.

Iprazochrome fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 2, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gravy Jones posted:

This really ramps up as the show goes on, especially with regards to the 80s references and stunt casting. For me it never reaches a point that it gets annoying though and I've found myself liking the show more and more as it goes on. I think a part of it is you never get the feeling it's doing this to be clever or show-off. It's more out of a genuine spirit of fun and love for the stuff it's referencing.

Yeah, I just started the third season, their Thirteen Year High School Reunion :allears:
Definitely my favourite episode so far.
The one with Shawn's uncle was really good too, a bit sad, or disappointing, but still a really fun episode.
And I love the title: "The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable"

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Modus Operandi posted:

The first few episodes are straight up terrible (that crow. THAT CROW) but after a while it dials back the Teen and develops its appealing feature, strong pacing. Things happen, named characters die, boring people are given boring relationship moments but the show wisely does not stretch these long enough that you lose interest. It turns into decently entertaining trash; by my lights it's no True Blood, let alone a cohesive terrific show, but if you've got your fill of great dramas every week, maybe that's a good thing. Everyone needs some trash and trash shouldn't get docked points for not being boring and dramatic enough. If you're man enough to watch something aimed at teen girls that will never stop being at heart for teen girls, it's a surprisingly good show. (After those first few episodes.)

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
I finished The Tudors, onto Mad Men! Just started the 3rd season, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it finishes. Hm.

I've tried The Wire, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I really can't get into it. :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
been watching eureka. the wackiness of of SG1 combined with the :techno: of TNG is brilliant.

aziraphale60 posted:

About to start Firefly. I was watching Boston Legal but I've been convinced to give Firefly a try first. I do love me some Whedon.

:colbert:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
The only thing I hated about Firefly is how short the one and only season is. Also expected the whole reaver arc to flesh out more and that blue-balled me a bit as well. FOX has definitely been a turd in the punchbowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I watched about 7 episodes of firefly and found it aggressively cheesy. The main characters were unhuman amalgams of positive traits and the dialogue was stiff. Was I missing something? I was pretty shocked after all of the praise.