Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

GhostDog posted:

So, after about eight hours, these are the ways I can go

1) Area with enemies that I can't hurt with my current equipment
2) Area with enemies that I can whittle down but revive immediately after death
3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

Huntsekker posted:

Posting this in the hopes that it actually does something: http://goo.gl/MZQ2k

I clicked through a couple of pages worth to help out. I preordered this tonight, i'm just going back and forth on if i'll actually open it. For some reason I'm worried this game is just going to frustrate me and i'll be out sixty bucks.

If things get too tough, you can power through most nigh-impossible situations by summoning some other dudes to help you out. (You need to spend a humanity point at a bonfire to get yourself into Meat Form, then you can go online and pick up a couple of phantom buddies (via signs on the ground) to kill things for you.) There are also NPCs you can talk to who will offer to help in the same manner, if you are either offline or can't find anyone.

It might take a couple of tries, if you happen to summon somebody who sucks more than you (but even then it turns a boss fight into a 2v1, which is hugely easier) but sooner or later you'll get a ghost-buddy who is awesome and can get you past a particular hurdle. I think you can summon two dudes at once, if all else fails. Might take a few minutes, though.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

qbert posted:

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Just get the game from the man. He's trying to be a good guy and you'd rather leave him in the lurch.

Goons sometimes...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just get the game from the man. He's trying to be a good guy and you'd rather leave him in the lurch.

Goons sometimes...

Hey, I totally appreciate his nice gesture. I just feel more comfortable buying things from stores with receipts and such.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Another gamer falls prey to the Valley of Mistaken Perceptions

Perhaps. Although, it remains one of the few levels where dodging will roll you off a platform where you instantly die, or won't really work. In that sense, it can be applauded for stopping your dependance on a certain ability. Doesn't stop the level from sucking though.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

IconicIronic posted:

Perhaps. Although, it remains one of the few levels where dodging will roll you off a platform where you instantly die, or won't really work. In that sense, it can be applauded for stopping your dependance on a certain ability. Doesn't stop the level from sucking though.

There's also the issue with trying to properly adjust the camera with all the random shanty town architecture getting in the way. I think it's probably the worst level in the game.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ireladd posted:

Are you going to bust them?

Hahaha, what? Come on, dude.

Pirate Jesus
Oct 7, 2003
He died for your booty.

qbert posted:

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Seconding this, have had no luck on this front.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

ireladd posted:

Alert, goons! I found a store in L.A. that broke the street date! I just picked up two copies for the PS3 and will be not sleeping at all this weekend. Why did I pick up two copies? Because I'm happy to help out my fellow goon. So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like the game early, I will sell it to you at the same cost I paid for it, which is like, $60 plus tax. It is the standard version, but still, four days early!

So tempted. Is it the CE? I'm going for an evening walk and am stopping by Hyper Game on the way to see if they have any English copies.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Hahaha, what? Come on, dude.

I just thought it a little odd he wouldn't buy from me, but I get his reasoning too.

Here's the store: http://www.yelp.com/biz/game-play-los-angeles

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Flanky posted:

So tempted. Is it the CE? I'm going for an evening walk and am stopping by Hyper Game on the way to see if they have any English copies.

Did you even read what you quoted? Check that last sentence, bro.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Funkmaster General posted:

Did you even read what you quoted? Check that last sentence, bro.

Sorry. I should know better than to post from my phone.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Flanky posted:

Sadly not the CE. I called Hyper Games actually earlier today and they said they didn't have it, but that was after dealing with really broken English so I suspect they didn't get what I was asking. Hopefully you have better luck with the walk-in!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IconicIronic posted:

Ah, thought you were complaining about the swamp! Yeah, 5-1 is a son of a bitch, though I still enjoyed the heck out of that level. It just takes a while to figure out the layout, and not fall off.

Pirate Jesus
Oct 7, 2003
He died for your booty.
Thanks dude

ireladd posted:

I just thought it a little odd he wouldn't buy from me, but I get his reasoning too.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Flanky posted:

Sorry. I should know better than to post from my phone.

I came off as more of a jerk than I meant to, sorry. ):

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Ah, thought you were complaining about the swamp! Yeah, 5-1 is a son of a bitch, though I still enjoyed the heck out of that level. It just takes a while to figure out the layout, and not fall off.

Well, I was. 5-1 is still worse.

However, every swamp-based level in every game ever has always sucked.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Well just to inform everyone most gamestops will be open monday at midnight because NBA 2k12 is coming out...yay jocks! So you can get your fix at midnight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
drat, I just had my first death that was caused entirely by frame rate issues. So far there's only been one area of the game with big frame rate problems, but they are HUGE. And of course it is full of catwalks, narrow passages that crams up the camera, and tiny flying insects that if you lock onto them the camera is constantly swinging around at random.

Edward T. Lynch
Jul 20, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, I just had my first death that was caused entirely by frame rate issues. So far there's only been one area of the game with big frame rate problems, but they are HUGE. And of course it is full of catwalks, narrow passages that crams up the camera, and tiny flying insects that if you lock onto them the camera is constantly swinging around at random.

Which system are you playing on? I'm so torn between 360 and PS3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Edward T. Lynch posted:

Which system are you playing on? I'm so torn between 360 and PS3.
PS3. Is the frame rate very different between them? the talk around this thread so far is that it is not.

edit: this area I am in now is basically as big as 5-2 on the X and Y plane, but it is that big again on the Z plane. It's no wonder it is having such trouble rendering it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 1, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
There was a point on the IGN stream last night where the game had a bit of a shitfit on the 360. I remember also watching the vxds stream (PS3) and he had a couple times where the game freaked out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

PS3. Is the frame rate very different between them? the talk around this thread so far is that it is not.

At our conference they had both versions running by each other and, in that context the PS3 version is better, but you'd never notice the difference.

TWO different updates so far for the US version, we're up to 1.03.

This game is amazing, it's quite literally King's Field V. I just hope someone can somehow make a hack that makes the camera first person.

I was so excited about this game, I played through KF1 and KF3 from start to finish the past couple of weeks. This game's monster designs match the radder ones from those games, but the downside is I keep habitually hitting O to go to the menu instead of start, works great while in that area Samurai Sanders describes with the narrow catwalks. :D

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Samurai Sanders posted:

I caught that during the IGN stream. They were playing the 360 version and I figured, maybe it's console-exclusive? Guess not.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samurai Sanders posted:

The bigger problem is that you can't actually stop those flying insects. They just spawn infinitely which is really really lovely. I also believe those insects cause the slowdown in that area. There's no slowdown at all when they're not around, and if I'm backed into a corner facing only a wall the frame rate will tank with only 1 of them on screen. I think it's the motion blur shader on their wings causing it.

AzureEdge
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty excited for this, gave in and pre-ordered it for the Collector's Edition.

Here's my code too by the way http://goo.gl/RSAAu

So, I heard in Demon's Souls there was a weapon or something you could only get if you were female, is there something similar in Dark Souls? Or does gender not matter at all?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

ErIog posted:

The bigger problem is that you can't actually stop those flying insects. They just spawn infinitely which is really really lovely. I also believe those insects cause the slowdown in that area. There's no slowdown at all when they're not around, and if I'm backed into a corner facing only a wall the frame rate will tank with only 1 of them on screen. I think it's the motion blur shader on their wings causing it.
That seems to be it, I notice it as well.....

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AzureEdge posted:

Pretty excited for this, gave in and pre-ordered it for the Collector's Edition.

Here's my code too by the way http://goo.gl/RSAAu

So, I heard in Demon's Souls there was a weapon or something you could only get if you were female, is there something similar in Dark Souls? Or does gender not matter at all?

I don't remember any gender specific weapons in Demon's but a lot of the armor sets were gender specific. IIRC they actually specified that Dark Souls doesn't have any gender specific armor.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is there another slider for Gender during the character customization again?

In other words, can I have the manliest woman again?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Revitalized posted:

Is there another slider for Gender during the character customization again?

In other words, can I have the manliest woman again?

Yes, there's a 'Hormones' slider.

AzureEdge
Mar 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't remember any gender specific weapons in Demon's but a lot of the armor sets were gender specific. IIRC they actually specified that Dark Souls doesn't have any gender specific armor.

All right, cool, thanks.

I've been trying to get as many of my friends to pick this up as possible, looks like it'll be a blast. Definitely starting as a Knight, they look so sweet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Huh, something I've just noticed is that some of the mob enemies with swords and shields use the animations/attacks of the blue-eyed knights from Demon's Souls. I'd recognize those moves anywhere.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Huh, something I've just noticed is that some of the mob enemies with swords and shields use the animations/attacks of the blue-eyed knights from Demon's Souls. I'd recognize those moves anywhere.

So basically fighting mobs of blue-eyed knights. Yessssssss

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

Oh drat, so the bugs and the frame rate problems are actually one in the same problem. poo poo. Also I can't figure out how to activate the shortcut in that stage, it looks like a dead end. I have died more on this stage than the whole rest of the game combined, so I think it's time to check a faq.

edit: The Japanese wiki has no mention of this, it just says to open the shortcut and return to the bonfire. What is going on here?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 1, 2011

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Revitalized posted:

So basically fighting mobs of blue-eyed knights. Yessssssss

You fight them two at a time, and there's even one with a shield/spear right before the end of the first area. :)

The AI is wonderfully aggressive and fast in this compared to Demon's Souls. I wasn't expecting the jump attack from the standard undead enemies to have such ridiculous range and speed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ireladd posted:

That store is actually owned by my friend

I just got back and have a copy of my very own :3

They have a second location in long beach on spring st if that is closer.
Tell them Kat sent you, it may give you a discount

they have 5 left and will get more tomorrow

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I found a bonfire that I didn't know about. Never mind, I'm cool. A lot of the bonfires are in places easy to miss...

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

How is the character appearance customization this time? Can I give my guy a beard without him look liking some transvestite potato face horror?

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

Fauxtool posted:

That store is actually owned by my friend

I just got back and have a copy of my very own :3

They have a second location in long beach on spring st if that is closer.
Tell them Kat sent you, it may give you a discount

they have 5 left and will get more tomorrow

Holy crap, that's just a few minutes' drive from my home. I'll have to hit them up tomorrow morning before work. Thanks!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I had assumed that all classes were given an equal amount of base stat points distributed differently, and that a class that started at Soul Level 3 would simply have 2 more stat points than a class that starts at Soul Level 1. But according to the stats on the Wiki, this isn't the case. The Sorcerer is Soul Level 3, but has the lowest combined stats at 82. Meanwhile, the Wanderer is also Soul Level 3 and has 86 points, while the Pyromancer is Soul Level 1, and has 84 stat points. The Deprived class actually seems to get a lot of points per level, with 88 points at level 6. (I think the Wanderer has the best points per level ratio, though).

I suppose in the end starting equipment is probably more important (and different value armors and weapons may account for the stat differences). I just thought it was interesting. This concludes the :spergin:

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh drat, so the bugs and the frame rate problems are actually one in the same problem. poo poo. Also I can't figure out how to activate the shortcut in that stage, it looks like a dead end. I have died more on this stage than the whole rest of the game combined, so I think it's time to check a faq.

edit: The Japanese wiki has no mention of this, it just says to open the shortcut and return to the bonfire. What is going on here?

Which shortcut there's one that's kind of a shortcut to that area, but I haven't ventured too far in that area to know for certain what you're talking about. If it's the thing I think you're talking about then you're going the wrong way. You'll be able to go the way you're going after you open that shortcut from the other side.

If you're in the cave with the bonfire then I think you need to head left and traverse that stuff which should lead you to opening a shortcut. Once you've opened that shortcut you'll be able to approach that same area by heading right after leaving the cave with the bonfire, and be able to get back to where you were while not having to fight so many enemies.

In terms of my own game. I used 2 firekeeper's souls which gave me 10 humanity. I decided to use it as much as possible by running around the game world strengthening fires. When I got back to the starting area I noticed something absolutely horrifying....the fire is out, and the firekeeper is dead!. The game gave me an item to avenge that which I think I'll do now that my Estus flask is charged up, I've levelled up a bit, and I've bought some more spells.

I also got invaded for the first time in the defilement-like area. The invader was terribad. He was naked save for a meat cleaver, and I was able to sidestep + backstab my way to an easy victory. The rewards for killing invaders in this game are substantial. It makes me want to stay in human form more often to try to take more of them out.

• Locked thread