Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ErIog posted:

I also got invaded for the first time in the defilement-like area. The invader was terribad. He was naked save for a meat cleaver, and I was able to sidestep + backstab my way to an easy victory. The rewards for killing invaders in this game are substantial. It makes me want to stay in human form more often to try to take more of them out.

Did you catch the invader's name? The people on the IGN stream encountered a naked "invader" with a meat cleaver in the swamp which they easily dispatched- turns out it was actually an NPC invader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Schwartzcough posted:

Did you catch the invader's name? The people on the IGN stream encountered a naked "invader" with a meat cleaver in the swamp which they easily dispatched- turns out it was actually an NPC invader.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm sure it was the NPC then. He was too dumb. A human wouldn't ever attack a player in that spot.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 1, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

doctor 7 posted:

How is the character appearance customization this time? Can I give my guy a beard without him look liking some transvestite potato face horror?

I really hope they don't "fix" DeS' character creator but merely add more options. I made the ugliest character possible with tiny eyes, a sphincter for a mouth and a huge mosquito nose. I wish mmos had DeS' character creation options.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I really hope they don't "fix" DeS' character creator but merely add more options. I made the ugliest character possible with tiny eyes, a sphincter for a mouth and a huge mosquito nose. I wish mmos had DeS' character creation options.

You should check out the Giant Bomb quick look. They make a monstrous hag right at the beginning of the video.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I don't think you need to worry about not being able to make monstrosities.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Schwartzcough posted:

That is great.. He actually made a loving cyclops.

So are the top 200 rankings all goons by now or what? http://goo.gl/t9rxe

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2011

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i kick or jump attack? Left stick+r1 or r2 just do normal sword swings

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

That is great.. He actually made a loving cyclops.

So are the top 200 rankings all goons by now or what? http://goo.gl/t9rxe

I dunno. http://goo.gl/Ud8h2

I still don't know what the rankings are even for.

Living One Post at a Time
Feb 28, 2006
Arrr!
Just preordered my copy! Never played Demon's Souls so I'm going into this totally blind. I hear it will crush my soul so I'm looking forward to that.

http://goo.gl/RW2dP

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh thank God, the world of poison and catwalks is behind me. Now it's time to be killed by giant lizard headed monsters and swinging pendulum blades for a while.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm gonna pop into town in 15 minutes and see if this shop that has allegedly broke the street date will sell me a copy. Fingers crossed!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
After seeing how horrendously unready for release in a month Battlefield 3 is from the beta, I decided to cancel that pre-order and pre-order this instead. I had only rented Demon's Souls so I'm looking forward to this.

I think I recall hearing in the older thread for this that the bows are reworked so you can aim them decently now. Is this correct and a ranger type character is feasible now?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Schwartzcough posted:

Easily the best character creation ever, move over Skyrim. Wow. There is no way this game can disappoint now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Edge Zero posted:

After seeing how horrendously unready for release in a month Battlefield 3 is from the beta, I decided to cancel that pre-order and pre-order this instead. I had only rented Demon's Souls so I'm looking forward to this.

I think I recall hearing in the older thread for this that the bows are reworked so you can aim them decently now. Is this correct and a ranger type character is feasible now?

It works the same basic way, just polished.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Edge Zero posted:

Bows were very useful in demons souls and you could aim them in first person. If anything they were too good. You could kill a lot of enemies without any risk to yourself. Haven't seen or heard of any big changes for them in Dark Souls. Hopefully they have made crossbows more useful though.

Ranger dude is for sure feasible and should be more fun this time around, since enemies will climb ladders and such so you won't be able to exploit the AI quite as easily.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

You could aim the bows in first person? Well now I feel like an idiot!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Concerning enemies climbing ladders, I was unhappy to discover that you can't boot them in the head just as they are getting off the top of the ladder, they won't take hits until they are all the way off the ladder and back in fighting posture.

edit: ^^^ wow, how did you even play Demon's without knowing that?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I just ordered the game and the guide. Bums me out that I live in the boonies and can only access the internet through this terrible wireless though.

Missing out on the best feature of the game: The multiplayer :(

Also, this livestream is pretty good.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: ^^^ wow, how did you even play Demon's without knowing that?

Well I only rented it so I only devoted enough time to it to beat 1-1. I did kill the red eyed knight though to get a hilarious amount of souls, though! I had just heard somewhere that bows couldn't be aimed well.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Edge Zero posted:

Well I only rented it so I only devoted enough time to it to beat 1-1. I did kill the red eyed knight though to get a hilarious amount of souls, though! I had just heard somewhere that bows couldn't be aimed well.

The fool that told you that was most likely referring to the fact that the arrows actually arc with physics and lose force over time resulting in less damage. To some this can be seen as "those arrows don't go where I put my crosshairs so this is bogus!"

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

ErIog posted:

The fool that told you that was most likely referring to the fact that the arrows actually arc with physics and lose force over time resulting in less damage. To some this can be seen as "those arrows don't go where I put my crosshairs so this is bogus!"

Bows can certainly be aimed, but it's almost ALWAYS better to shoot using the lock-on than manually. The tough thing about manual aiming is that it's almost impossible to hit a moving target when you have to take re-aiming, the arrow's speed, and the arc into consideration. Lock-ons follow targets automatically and they're usually close enough so they can't dodge out of the way in time.

Then again, I'm not sure what enemies are in Dark Souls so things could be a lot different than shooting Storm Beasts and crystal geckos.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

So the fact that enemies can grab you now even if you have your shield up with full stamina is really hosed up, and kind of unfun. Right now these enemies are basically one-shotting me with this poo poo. I hope later on it only takes something like half my health. I hope to god it's not programmed in as a one-shot no matter what.

edit: It appears to be designed so that your first time through it's almost a one-shot, but later on it would only be about 75% or 50%. We're cool now. I still love you Demon's Souls.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 1, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

So the fact that enemies can grab you now even if you have your shield up with full stamina is really hosed up, and kind of unfun. Right now these enemies are basically one-shotting me with this poo poo. I hope later on it only takes something like half my health. I hope to god it's not programmed in as a one-shot no matter what.
Yeah, those kinds of attacks don't one-shot me anymore, so it's definitely not automatic. You can think of it as just a really powerful unblockable attack with a long start-up animation, like plenty of others in the game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im hoping my previous message wasnt missed but is there a trick to kicking or jump attacking? The game says Lstick+r1 and r2

That just does normal attacks for me, what am i missing?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Fauxtool posted:

im hoping my previous message wasnt missed but is there a trick to kicking or jump attacking? The game says Lstick+r1 and r2

You have to flick the left stick forward and press the button at the same time, it requires some timing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

Oh, yeah sorry I forgot to respond. Kicking is definitely left stick forward + R1 (I didn't know R2 did it too), but the timing is slightly tricky I guess. I think you have to push the stick forward slightly before hitting R1.

As for jumping attacks, I think only a few weapons have them. I know the spiked club does at least.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
God bless independent game stores that break street dates.

So I'm confused on the tutorial already. Left Stick + R1 = Kick?

Edit: Ahh got the hang of it. You just need to press them at the same time. I'm addicted to this heavy jumping attack. Started as a Bandit and this Battle Axe is ace.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 1, 2011

serling
Aug 25, 2005

I'm horribly stuck, guys. I need some help.

I don't know how far in I am, but as it stands right now I have nowhere to go.

I've basically uncovered three or four gates with yellow fog, sealed by the dark lord. There's no way into them. Most of the land is otherwise discovered, baring a small portion down in the red, fiery demon caves. Other than that, I have that weird tooth demon who gobbles up my items in the main hub. He's telling me to go to Anor Londo, through Sen's Fortress. I have, but again, there's just a huge gate there, sealed by the dark lord. I've also explored the ghost ruins, without really finding anything of value.

At this point, the only formidable enemies left on the map are the Drakes in Drake's Valley, and the giant, club wielding demons down in those hellish landscapes.

Any tips?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Haha, nice. I think I just ran into the equivalent of the 1-1 Red Eyed Knight. It took 3 Black Firebombs, several backstabs and all my Estus Flasks but I took the bastard out!

There's no way to see how many souls you need for the next level up? *sigh*

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 1, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

serling posted:

I'm horribly stuck, guys. I need some help.

I don't know how far in I am, but as it stands right now I have nowhere to go.

I've basically uncovered three or four gates with yellow fog, sealed by the dark lord. There's no way into them. Most of the land is otherwise discovered, baring a small portion down in the red, fiery demon caves. Other than that, I have that weird tooth demon who gobbles up my items in the main hub. He's telling me to go to Anor Londo, through Sen's Fortress. I have, but again, there's just a huge gate there, sealed by the dark lord. I've also explored the ghost ruins, without really finding anything of value.

At this point, the only formidable enemies left on the map are the Drakes in Drake's Valley, and the giant, club wielding demons down in those hellish landscapes.

Any tips?

Have you beaten Ornstein and Smough (the fat and skinny knights) yet? The item that you need to get rid of those golden mists - and the main reason why the serpent sent you to Anor Londo - is only available after you beat them. They're in the castle that's filled with Silver Knights. They're also rather hard, so save up some humanity so you can kindle a bonfire for more flasks.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

Have you beaten Ornstein and Smough (the fat and skinny knights) yet? The item that you need to get rid of those golden mists - and the main reason why the serpent sent you to Anor Londo - is only available after you beat them. They're in the castle that's filled with Silver Knights. They're also rather hard, so save up some humanity so you can kindle a bonfire for more flasks.

No, I have not. But I recognize their statues in Anor Londo. How do I proceed, and what castle is filled with silver knights? Are we at Sen's Fortress again? Because I've searched that place to death!

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

serling posted:

No, I have not. But I recognize their statues in Anor Londo. How do I proceed, and what castle is filled with silver knights? Are we at Sen's Fortress again? Because I've searched that place to death!

Naw, we're in Anor Londo. Have you gone through that one chapel with those white-robed assassin-types? The one where you need to walk across some thin banisters high above the floor.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

Naw, we're in Anor Londo. Have you gone through that one chapel with those white-robed assassin-types? The one where you need to walk across some thin banisters high above the floor.

In Arnor Londo I have the option to slay six armored knights and rest at a campfire. Earlier, I killed a gargoyle down by a walkway that ends nowhere. There's an elevator down there too. Other than that, I have one place to go, and that's into the golden mist gate.

I have a feeling I'm missing something crucial here?

EDIT: nevermind. I found it. Once again, I feel like an rear end. :haw:

Thanks!

serling fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 1, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

serling posted:

In Arnor Londo I have the option to slay six armored knights and rest at a campfire. Earlier, I killed a gargoyle down by a walkway that ends nowhere. There's an elevator down there too. Other than that, I have one place to go, and that's into the golden mist gate.

I have a feeling I'm missing something crucial here?

Edit: Haw, beaten. Good luck, it gets a lot tougher from here on!

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 1, 2011

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Someone started adding MS paint diagrams to the Japanese wiki:

I find that so precious.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Leyburn posted:

There's no way to see how many souls you need for the next level up? *sigh*

Wait what? Explain this please.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait what? Explain this please.

The only way to see how many souls you need to level up is to already have that many souls. If you go to the level up screen the game simply won't let you add points to a stat unless you have enough souls to purchase it. So if you don't have enough souls then the game doesn't let you, and thus the game never displays how many souls it takes to level up to the next level.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ErIog posted:

The only way to see how many souls you need to level up is to already have that many souls. If you go to the level up screen the game simply won't let you add points to a stat unless you have enough souls to purchase it. So if you don't have enough souls then the game doesn't let you, and thus the game never displays how many souls it takes to level up to the next level.

Ugh I'm at work now but it's probably buried in the status screenitself somewhere.

That said I kind of liked that when I first noticed it, literally the only amount of souls you can ever have is "not enough."

It's a strange omission, especially with how intuitively you can compare equipment and cycle between stats and equipment. Ideally it would be like King's Field 3 where stuff gets more descriptive as your intelligence goes up starting with just the weapon weight/length and ending with verbose stats/name of the person who made it etc.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ErIog posted:

That seems like a glaring oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's just a minor annoyance, since if you find yourself just below the number you need, you can always use a consumable soul, but there's no way to immediately check if that's the case.

Early game stuff I just found the blacksmith, which was good because my gear needed repairing and it was good to upgrade my axe too. There's a monster in the room next to him. I tried to take the fucker out, but he got me with a flukey wee shot when I had him right down to his last sliver of health. Not sure if I'm meant to fight him, or if he respawns. I've noticed that the boar and knights didn't seem to respawn at all.

• Locked thread