Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Jesus, that's what you get for browsing while working. Sorry.

Edit: And a new page while I'm at it. Not my day, I guess. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So rope kid do you know how well the DLC sales for FNV are in general numbers wise at all?

Since they pushed out GRA it must mean they are looking into doing one or two more unless all the stuff in GRA was stuff that didn't make it to the final release last year?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sankis posted:

I posted this in the modding thread but googling for a solution leads me to believe it's NOT mod related?

Basically, I'm crashing as soon as the load that starts Dead Money occurs right after being gassed. I cannot for the life of me find a solution. I tried turning off every mod, re downloading dead money, verifying cache integrity, etc.

Reinstalling completely with no mods or altered anything didn't help.

So I narrowed it down a bit more. I made a new character, did tmm 01 in the console and started dead money just fine. What the hell? What could possibly be the issue with my one character?

Does anyone know of a way to "fix" my character? I really don't want to restart :(

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

That appears to be the opinion of Cass. I was a bit put off by her homophobic remarks about the Legion. Not that the Legion isn't evil, but of all the things to make fun of them for, their skirts and rumors that they have gay sex seems a bit odd, especially for a bisexual character. In fact, is Cass the only person in the game who says anything disparaging about gays? I know Major Knight says the NCR doesn't approve of homosexuality, but I don't think here's any NCR characters who actually give voice to that.

Well to be fair Cass is only bi after the 7th bottle of Whiskey.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'm afraid of buying the DLC because I have a feeling some kind of DLC pack at a reduced price will be right around the corner. Is it worth waiting for something like that?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

brennon posted:

I'm afraid of buying the DLC because I have a feeling some kind of DLC pack at a reduced price will be right around the corner. Is it worth waiting for something like that?
That's what I'm waiting for. I've never bought DLC before, but may for this game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

brennon posted:

That would be a Game of the Year edition and there isn't one announced yet so I wouldn't expect one until Spring at the earliest.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sankis posted:

That would be a Game of the Year edition and there isn't one announced yet so I wouldn't expect one until Spring at the earliest.
I guess I don't really understand DLC - it seems like a la carte or as a pack at a reduced price makes too much sense, yet it doesn't exist.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Just wait for the annual huge fuckoff holiday sale Steam does in a couple months.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

brennon posted:

Yeah, I think there was a week where New Vegas DLC was discounted. I think the next time it will be is when the Christmas sale is on.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

FlyingCheese posted:

Just wait for the annual huge fuckoff holiday sale Steam does in a couple months.

Yeah this is what I'm doing. I got the first two DLC for $2.50 or so each so I think I'll wait and see if the others go on sale as well. I guess more of a "When" not "If".

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SeanBeansShako posted:

So rope kid do you know how well the DLC sales for FNV are in general numbers wise at all?

Since they pushed out GRA it must mean they are looking into doing one or two more unless all the stuff in GRA was stuff that didn't make it to the final release last year?

I read somewhere that the last guy working on New Vegas moved onto their next project after GRA was released. In other words, if anything is still broken or bugged, it'll never be fixed.

But rope kid will know for sure.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cwapface posted:

Okay, so inflicting retribution (however righteous) on a leader by massacring the people he leads isn't evil? Brutally murdering people to send a message to a government (however corrupt) isn't evil?

Seriously, stop trying to justify the Legion's actions. I have a megalomaniacal psychopathic character who was basically Caesar's pit-bull until it came time to play her own cards and take over the strip and turn it into a giant lab for human experimentation with the Protectrons as her loyal servants. But I still recognise that, if we can even talk about evil as a thing (which I don't think we can in seriousness, but let's just say), Caesar's Legion is it.

Obviously they're evil actions, and I'm not trying to justify it in a "what they're doing is right" sense, but moreso in a "these evil actions serve a specific, calculated purpose" sense.

Pwnstar posted:

In Nipton keep in mind that about 5 Legion Soldiers walked in and executed 30+ townspeople and Powder Gangers. They only succeeded because the townspeople sat there, watching their friends/family/neighbours getting killed and waited for somebody to rescue them. Vulpes straight up says that he and his mean would have had no chance against all of them if they had resisted.

To be fair some people did fight back and kill Legionaires, but it was like two or three out of thirty, and it puts the number closer to 1:3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Yeah, I think there was a week where New Vegas DLC was discounted. I think the next time it will be is when the Christmas sale is on.

There's a thanksgiving and (I think) Halloween sale coming up as well

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I have started this unforgiving, modded to hell and back, Very Hard/Hardcore/2.0x XP required (also lots of mods that aimed to make game harder) run and having a blast while scrounging every single cabinet not because of ocd reason but a single stimpack costs 130 caps and i thank god if some expedition (quest location, random cave etc.) just evens out with the loot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I read somewhere that the last guy working on New Vegas moved onto their next project after GRA was released. In other words, if anything is still broken or bugged, it'll never be fixed.

But rope kid will know for sure.

Aww, my dreams of a Legion expansion DLC is uttery crushed. Oh welp, mods!

Anyways just started Honest Heats (one more DLC to go after this) and I have to say Joshua playing with his guns is a hypnotic animation.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
The Mojave is quite strange...

I do not think doctors are suppose to leave camp if they have wounded patients.

Ok so Diane of the Great Khans decided to spawn in front of black mountain, then when I try intercepting her while she is trying to walk back to the Great Khans base, I saw that she was being chased by a deathclaw. And if she dies the quest to stop the Great Khans from joining Legion ends. Just another day for the Gunslinger I suppose.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Re: Legion. They are completely evil. They may have a more efficiently run society, but the Nazis were pretty efficient too. It's taken some time, but throughout the history of human civilization, humanity eventually decided on some things that absolutely cannot be part of officially institutionalized society, no matter how dire the circumstances. Not even the end of world (and Fallout's post-apocalyspe is really relatively tame) could justify them. We generally call these laws, rights, ethics, something along those lines. These include, among other things, slavery and rape (of women, at least; America doesn't seem to care about legal rape against men), especially at the legally regulated hands of the government.

If a society's status quo includes institutionalized rape and slavery, the governing body responsible for it is evil, and there are no two ways about this conclusion.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 1, 2011

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

jvempire posted:

The Mojave is quite strange...

I do not think doctors are suppose to leave camp if they have wounded patients.

Ok so Diane of the Great Khans decided to spawn in front of black mountain, then when I try intercepting her while she is trying to walk back to the Great Khans base, I saw that she was being chased by a deathclaw. And if she dies the quest to stop the Great Khans from joining Legion ends. Just another day for the Gunslinger I suppose.

My favourite one of these occurrences to happen to me was when the Boomer Jack and the girl from the Crimson Caravan took it upon themselves to elope all the way over to the hills near Scorpion Gulch. I only found them because I had a quest objective to find him. Then there was an annoying one where that kid who has the C-finder vanished into the mountains north of Vegas never to be seen again.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

My favourite one of these occurrences to happen to me was when the Boomer Jack and the girl from the Crimson Caravan took it upon themselves to elope all the way over to the hills near Scorpion Gulch. I only found them because I had a quest objective to find him. Then there was an annoying one where that kid who has the C-finder vanished into the mountains north of Vegas never to be seen again.
So these are common occurrences?! I thought it was some mod side effect, but I don't have any mods that would change how the ai acts. I also don't remember this happening in older patches.

I mean now I'm half expecting for Caesar to start wandering around Camp McCarren.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Wolfsheim posted:

Obviously they're evil actions, and I'm not trying to justify it in a "what they're doing is right" sense, but moreso in a "these evil actions serve a specific, calculated purpose" sense.

Yeah. As cartoony as the Legion can be, it isn't just a simple Chaotic Evil vs. Lawful Stupid split. It's more of a "which means are justified" sort of thing. If the NCR collapses from doing things the moral and ethical way, will civilization in the Mojave cease to exist?

I know my answer: turn every legionnaire into a Bloody Mess or a goo pile. I'll take the risk that the NCR will be epic fuckups because, as somebody said upthread, it's not like it's five years after the apocalypse and we're snacking on Grandma to survive. By this time that stark difference in philosophy is one that you can legitimately choose between without wondering where your next Gecko Steak is gonna come from.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hank Morgan posted:

When I played on the PS3 at the end of Return to Sender I wasn't able to find Chief Hanlon. He kept telling me to visit him when he's out on his balcony but then he never actually went out there. Eventually one day he just loving disappeared and his marker moved to somewhere miles away in the middle of nowhere.

Welp he wasn't where the marker was and he never showed back up at the mansion so I never finished that quest. I guess he chickened out and gave me the slip! :v:

Also something fun to do in Fallout 3 was to follow the hairdresser from the tower into the wastes after he leaves due to ghouls. He just kind of meanders forever until something kills him but it's funny keeping him alive.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yodzilla posted:

Also something fun to do in Fallout 3 was to follow the hairdresser from the tower into the wastes after he leaves due to ghouls. He just kind of meanders forever until something kills him but it's funny keeping him alive.

Same with Dave if you rig the election. Except he goes and plonks himself down right in the middle of Old Olney. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eating only apples posted:

Same with Dave if you rig the election. Except he goes and plonks himself down right in the middle of Old Olney. :v:

The New Republic Of Dave (read: junky alleyway in the middle of Deathclaw nest) is so sad and depressing and hilarious because it's just Dave throwing himself a pity party in an alleyway. I had to put him down after his first warning for me to leave. :smith:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Holy poo poo; if Glenn Beck has an online university, then we could surely offer an ethics class based on Fallout.

I think the legion is bad, but like Caesar said, it's thesis and antithesis. The NCR sprung up as a good institution, and the Legion sprung up as its evil counterpart. Also, the NCR is somewhat older than the Legion. NCR is buying up a ton of land and lots of NPCs remark that it's destroying their way of life. The Legion is simply taking things by power. The funny thing is, raiders and whatnot thrive in the NCR (who knows about California, etc., I mean in the Mojave) and they don't dare operate in Legion territory.

It feels obvious that the Legion is evil and NCR is good, but just like all people; nobody is 100% good or evil. NCR has a shadow of evil and Legion has a sliver of good. I think this plays out especially in Lonesome Road where you have these undying Legionaries and NCR officers fighting. They have pretty much become equal because they lost sight of the goals of their organizations. Probably has something to do with the radiation. I think the Divide was a place that had a chance to equalize people, regardless of affiliations. But that got all hosed up. Just like everything else in the Fallout universe.

War. War never changes. :clint:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Ddraig posted:

Caesar is a very, very smart man

Caesar is really stupid. He was sitting right on top of a bunker containing an entire robot army, no strings attached, and he turned it down because (paraphrasing here) "machines are for wimps".

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Sam. posted:

Caesar is really stupid. He was sitting right on top of a bunker containing an entire robot army, no strings attached, and he turned it down because (paraphrasing here) "machines are for wimps".

That's being idealistic, it would explain why he has so much followers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sam. posted:

no strings attached

Technically without the platinum chip he can do nothing with said robot army except make them lull about, activating them for personal military use is part of what the chip does. And also the whole bunker is irradiated and contains live fire turrets!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

CJacobs posted:

Technically without the platinum chip he can do nothing with said robot army except make them lull about, activating them for personal military use is part of what the chip does. And also the whole bunker is irradiated and contains live fire turrets!

The Courier was going to go into the bunker, kill the turrets and stuff, and use the Chip anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sam. posted:

The Courier was going to go into the bunker, kill the turrets and stuff, and use the Chip anyway.

Oh, you meant in the actual timeline the game takes place in. I thought you meant the years and years he's just been raising an army over top of the bunker and never really bothered to go see what was down there. Sorry.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sam. posted:

I imagine the Legion, what with its very old-fashioned views of honour and morality, would consider using a robot army for their own purposes both unnecessary and cowardly.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
We all know this game has got plenty of bugs, but the one thing I don't understand that could conceivably be fixed is how fast traveling works. Why do you have to be in an "open area"? Also why are the fast travel locations themselves so crappy. For instance I should be able to go from the goodsprings general store to contreras in one shot. I don't want the camp mccaran fast travel to dump me outside so I have to go through 3 separate loading screens and a serious jog to get there. Fable 2 does this well, you select a general area to fast travel to then it has locations within the area. I.E. travel to strip (strip gate, lucky 38, ultraluxe, NCR Embassy). If I am in bennys suite I have to hop an elevator then open a door then teleport outside the mccaran gate then go through three more hoops; 5 long rear end loading screens. Honestly for certain quests and NPCs I just say gently caress it. WHY cant you fast travel from indoors, is it a engine limitation I mean the Mojave is massive and detailed yet you can walk and fast travel from points on it no problem. I don't get it. The loading times are killing me in this game.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think one huge point against the NCR is if you view from within the context of the Fallout universe. They are pretty much mimicking the Old World governments as it stands, and they're on the path of corruption, expanding and loving themselves and others over in New Vegas.

You just know that, when keeping the themes of Fallout in mind, that it will repeat the same mistakes of the Pre-War governments did.

Of course, in New Vegas, The Legion is the more aggressive and brutal faction. But since NCR is actively seeking out Hoover drat for their energy needs, it's not like they would step down from a fight either if they come to a territory where the inhabitants go "gently caress you, we don't want to live under NCR rule".

EDIT: I also my tip my hats to the guys who designed the entire setting and situation of the Mojave. Another developer would've easily made it a two-faction match (and most likely only one you could support as the player), butting heads over the piece of land. But there is also a third figure, that of Mr House who is basically trying to play the two bigger boys against each other and keep his Vegas for himself. Add to that, there is Yes Man so that players who don't like either of the 3 factions have a choice.
And then, there are all the minor players, the Followers, The Brotherhood etc who have their own agendas.

It's not always perfect but it's just... a hell of a lot more complex and interesting than other developers would've tried for. So kudos to Obsidian for that.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2011

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

It think and believe that it is for keeping open world feel alive(aka MY IMMERSION :qq:). If you could've teleported anywhere, anytime the exploring aspect had no meaning at all. There are lots of random stuff in between landmarks like ambushes, monsters and caches. I do agree the Strip thing because it is so goddamn annoying to travel there. I simply use Novac hotel room as my base which is million times more convienent than the suite.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
To put it politely, Bethesda's game engine is... not very good. I don't think that was so much a gameplay decision as an engine limitation. I don't really mind though, since I'm playing on PC and load times take seconds. I've never had a load time longer than 10 seconds, and they're usually 5 or less.

Also, I agree that having fast travel from indoors, where you could skip the trip back, would take something away from exploring a location. I agree in all cases except Vault 21. gently caress that place, I can never find my way out once I'm in, and the only reason to go in is for that snowglobe.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 1, 2011

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

They could have solved that by putting some area maps on walls in places like vaults, bunkers, factories etc. I can't remember how many hours i spent running in circles at the research facility during my first run (having to pedal back against super mutants didn't helped either).

Speaking of game engine, one of my real gripes with this game is dropping explosives at the feet of other people. You can't shhot a single bullet without turning everyone against you but it is perfectly normal to wire a whole goddamn bulding block with mines and C4 and blow everyone inside to pieces from a safe distance. Is there a mod that turns dropping explosives around NPC's into an "agressive" action?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked Point Lookout actually, maybe it was just because I liked Desmond. Plus the nifty double barrel it added. The loving bullet sponge enemies were a terrible pain in the rear end though.

Operation Anchorage was pretty awesome, especially the sneaking stuff at the beginning. Although I couldn't help thinking how much better it would've been with the OWB Stealth Suit.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
Fellow wastelanders/legionaries/californians/old-worlders/robot-fuckers, I think we should think of a witty title for this thread. Here are some:

• "Fallout New Vegas: Come for the gambling, and hope for a nuclear winter"

• "Fallout New Vegas: now with more politics and economy!"

• "Fallout New Vegas: What a nice weapYOU ARE OVER ENCUMBERED"

• "Fallout New Vegas: Now with the approval of No Mutants Allowed!"

• "Fallout New Vegas: from lowlife courier to HIGHROLLER in 3 hours"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When you complete Anchorage you get a suit that blows the living poo poo out of the OWB stealth suit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

V!ntar posted:

Fellow wastelanders/legionaries/californians/old-worlders/robot-fuckers, I think we should think of a witty title for this thread. Here are some:

• "Fallout New Vegas: Come for the gambling, and hope for a nuclear winter"

• "Fallout New Vegas: now with more politics and economy!"

• "Fallout New Vegas: What a nice weapYOU ARE OVER ENCUMBERED"

• "Fallout New Vegas: Now with the approval of No Mutants Allowed!"

• "Fallout New Vegas: from lowlife courier to HIGHROLLER in 3 hours"

I like it how it is. The only thread in games without a "witty" title.