Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random trivia: Raizing/8ing, the devs responsible for MvC3 and TvC, are also responsible for the Bloody Roar games, as well as that god-awful Castlevania fighting game for Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Basically yeah but more broken.
I see what you mean now.

A single move infinite? :psyduck:
Fake edit: There's more than one single move infinite in that game alone :psyboom:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I thought discussion of Smash was banned for being off-topic?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Shiki Dan posted:

You're right. Clearly, nobody in this thread has any interest in talking about it. I'm sorry that you had to read all that, Shiki Dan.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Dresh posted:

Huh, I was just thinking about this franchise a couple weeks ago. I had tons of fun with Primal Fury on the Gamecube, though I never did bother with any other game in the series.

Uranus is the most broken, braindead character in any fighting game ever. She's like Krizalid with Wolverine's control scheme. :argh:

I'm speaking relatively in a game where some characters have intentionally built-in infinites, among other things.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Why does skull girls have the Konami logo in the copyright screen?

Are there any guest characters that you aren't telling us about, insider? :drac:

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Why does skull girls have the Konami logo in the copyright screen?

Are there any guest characters that you aren't telling us about, insider? :drac:
The girl who's doing the soundtrack works for Konami doing the Castlevania soundtracks, I'm guessing it's that part.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i wouldn't be surprised if they were at the very least the Japanese publisher as well

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA

A friend just linked this to me. I know Brawl is generally laughed at, but it's quite epic.

This and Wombo Combo are the only smash vids i've ever enjoyed

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

dj_de posted:

The girl who's doing the soundtrack works for Konami doing the Castlevania soundtracks, I'm guessing it's that part.

IANAL, but wasn't she a just a contractor? I.e. not an employee of Konami?

http://skullgirls.com/2011/04/securing-a-legend/

Why would Konami be credited with anything?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if they were at the very least the Japanese publisher as well

Probably a good idea for their international (i.e. Japan) release.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 1, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Konami is the the co-publisher (with Autumn Games): http://www.konami.com/games/skullgirls

Also you could've easily found that out by Googling "Skullgirls Konami".

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Kind of old news now, but Komidol was in Japan to attend the MB Hydra Championships and speak to the developers about the game's future outside of Japan. You should probably read this if you have even the slightest interest in Melty, some interesting stuff and also plenty of fun tidbits about the best Melty players in Japan.

Here's the important part:

quote:

Me and Korean CL went into this discussion with Manabe with the same idea – we want to bring Melty to a larger scale outside of Japan, and have Ecole considering more institutions for melty that stronger fighting games have in the world today (along the lines of popularity that Street Fighter and Blaz Blue have).

First we expressed our reluctance about the PC release of Current Code v1.07, positive that the piracy would not be good for the game. We wanted to see a release for the game on console, and ask what plans Ecole had for something like that in the future.
I expressed to Manabe that America even had the bigger of issue of being a huge country where lag would be a huge problem.
I told him directly about how Evo was a huge chance for advertisement and promote the game, how hard we struggled to get it there, and that there is a real English market who wants to buy this game if those options were considered.
Korean CL also brought up how difficult the tournament scene was for PC releases, how people would show up to tournaments and not know how to use arcade sticks (they have cabs in Korea), and how the tournament scene for this game is suffering outside of Japan.
We both affirmed that a PS3 release, even if not in English, would be better because PS3 is not region locked the way that PS2 is. I explained to him the difficult process of accessing the game in America because of the need for Japanese PS2′s (of course I didn’t mention we usually mod our stuff). It was a little bumpy but I think we got all our major points across to him.
We also asked about the possibilities of net play for MBAACCPC.

Here is what we got back from him.

Every copy of MBAACCPC will come with a key issued to each copy of the game in order to install the game. This is to prevent pirating. - Ecole is aware of the netplay situation and what happened with MBAC.
They strongly intend to implement MBAACCPC with netplay. It will either be directly available at launch, or be patched into the game later. They will have a central server to find matches, but are still considering options like a ranking system. Those also may be implemented in later patches. You *will* need aforementioned key to access these functions. He told us this directly, and firmly. For those of you who remember the no-jump doujin fighter Gleam of Force (also by French Bread), I believe the netplay will be coded similarly since it also used a serial key and match system. Since there is a central server planned, we asked him to implement a direct play available as well to ease the lag for foreigners (French Bread was planning the exact opposite of this.)
There is a lot of corporate politics around Melty Blood. Frenchbread (which is a small developer and as they stated in their last NicoNico Douga cast, not considering the foreign market), Ecole (which doesn’t have a significant amount of funds to promote internationally), and TypeMoon (which is not convinced that it’s influence extends internationally) are all very hesistant at this time to put out an English release or PS3 release at this time. Those are all very resource heavy and very costly, and it would be a do-or-die risk for them as a business to make a release that big at this point in time.
However, it is *not* impossible. He said while looking at the report and hearing about Evo he was *very* surprised at the support abroad for Melty Blood. Manabe said he would want to consider further options for a foreign or console release after UniB is released (it is scheduled for Spring) so they are running more franchises. This way it would be less of a risk for them to release a game should they take a potential loss. Furthermore, America is a very hard market to break into politically (copyright laws and such).

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 1, 2011

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
I'm looking to get into KOF XIII when that drops (provided that the netcode is good) would I gain anything from playing KOF XII or are they totally different gameplay wise?
I know that the online is unplayable but is the game itself any good?

Popehoist posted:

Here's the important part:
Melty Blood with proper online matchmaking would own so hard (as long as they don't force you to PLAY trough a server in japan somewhere)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Svampson posted:

I'm looking to get into KOF XIII when that drops (provided that the netcode is good) would I gain anything from playing KOF XII or are they totally different gameplay wise?
I know that the online is unplayable but is the game itself any good?

I haven't played XII, but I understand that they are different enough that you might just as well play a good game instead (98/2002).

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

That is double bad, smash players are bitchy enough anime con smash players are the bitchest loving thing ever, my friend ran one year because he ran a good number of smash tournies at the time, it went horribly, pretty much everyone complaining was a terrible scrub and had no chance of winning anyways and they were complaining about the most mundane stuff, that didn't even matter that much.

The comic shop near me used to have a fight club I went to, but the Smash/Wii kids were always by themselves. No one would bother playing Smash, so some of them went to other games like MvC3 and AE. I left the event after beating one of them a few times because I couldn't take his antics (he'd whine how I was predictable despite I beat him a bunch of times with Gief, Dan, and Sagat). The manager and I made fun of the Wii kids on Live.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

netcat posted:

I haven't played XII, but I understand that they are different enough that you might just as well play a good game instead (98/2002).

Yup. Also 2k2 is a little closer to how 13 plays anyway.

The one thing I miss about XII are those awesome hit effects when you land a Critical Counter. Those were probably the only good parts of that game. :/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
One thing I have to say about Zen Utd is that they'll support people who wanna run tournaments for their games! I'm running a tournament in Belfast (Northern Ireland) at the end of October and after telling this to Zen, they sent me all this:

A box! With goodies!

Some BlazBlue and Arcana Heart art cards.

T-shirts! And keyrings!

Oh my...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Repostin again! Keep signing up assholes!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

:pcgaming: NEW GOONSGARDEN FOR NEXT WEEK, SUPER TURBO THIS TIME :pcgaming:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sfchzh8qfv

Rules are in the signup page, going to do a quick ST tourney for fun this time. Everyone can play this game because it's on PC!! yay!!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oh my...

It's good for your RSI doncha know :q:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Heads up:

"Today is the last chance to submit a question for The Marvel Files with Mike Ross & Fanatiq! Write to them: AskDrSubZero@Yahoo.com"

Sounds like it could be an interesting show. Any of you Marvel players send them questions about Maaahvel and anything related.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ahahahahahah oh gently caress this is amazing.

New Bloody Roar announcement was a hoax pulled by some dude impersonating Hudson Soft

Ono should pull this next time he wants to announce something stupid (for SFxT probably)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Policenaut posted:

Ahahahahahah oh gently caress this is amazing.

New Bloody Roar announcement was a hoax pulled by some dude impersonating Hudson Soft

Ono should pull this next time he wants to announce something stupid (for SFxT probably)

:smith:

loving assholes :(

I really wanted a fun execution free fighting game to play with non-FG fans. Bloody Roar 4 was a real blast back in the day.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

:smith:

loving assholes :(

I really wanted a fun execution free fighting game to play with non-FG fans. Bloody Roar 4 was a real blast back in the day.

The answer to this quandry is obviously Jackie Chan. My friends and I have been running sets in that game again lately and it's so fun. Takes approximately 5 seconds to be good at that game.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I thought Hudson died anyway. Did some other company absorb them or was it an Infogrames/"Atari"-style thing where someone else just took their name?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

T-shirts! And keyrings!
What game are these shirts for, BlazBlue? I saw someone wearing one of those shirts in my class the other day.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cams posted:

What game are these shirts for, BlazBlue? I saw someone wearing one of those shirts in my class the other day.
Aye it's BlazBlue. The characters are Ragna (top), Tsubaki (left) and Noel (right).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Okay, I've been trying to practice Super Turbo on GGPO, but I've sort of run into a problem. I'm new obviously, so I'm bad at the game. There are only two or three people on at any given time from the US or Canada, and they stop playing after two matches or less most of the time because I'm bad. I tried going on goonsgarden but haven't had much luck getting people to play against me.

Basically my problem is that I have no idea how to practice anything other than execution if I can't get people to play me. How do I find more people to play Super Turbo against me once in a while?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

PalmTreeFun posted:

I thought Hudson died anyway. Did some other company absorb them or was it an Infogrames/"Atari"-style thing where someone else just took their name?

They're dead, the company was absorbed into Konami, who proceeded to cancel all the projects they were working on.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

PalmTreeFun posted:

Okay, I've been trying to practice Super Turbo on GGPO, but I've sort of run into a problem. I'm new obviously, so I'm bad at the game. There are only two or three people on at any given time from the US or Canada, and they stop playing after two matches or less most of the time because I'm bad. I tried going on goonsgarden but haven't had much luck getting people to play against me.

Basically my problem is that I have no idea how to practice anything other than execution if I can't get people to play me. How do I find more people to play Super Turbo against me once in a while?

It's pretty tough, sadly. You really need to just keep doing that and you'll eventually build a small list of people you can IM and ask "hey want to get some games in." Try Supercade as well.

What region are you?

Edit: Profile says Wisconsin. I'd be down to play some games and maybe give you a few tips some time, I'm usually around Tuesday and Thursday nights after 7 PM Eastern.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I am also down for ST if we can play without too much lag. Zerodot, if you'll be on tonight around 8:30 or 9 I'll try to hit you up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Make sure you play in the tourney tonight, and afterwards you should be able to find play buddies. You can im me on aim sometime to play and learn too if you'd like, username is FingersMLD

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah just keep asking in IRC. If I'm not busy I'm usually down to play especially since I'm just learning ST too.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

How do I find more people to play Super Turbo against me once in a while?

You're about a state away from me, I'd be open to seeing if our connection is decent if you want some basic pointers.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I have to run out for a while tonight but I should be back in time for the tourney.

Crofts, I won't be back by 9 Eastern, but we should play some games between tournament matches or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Hey, you guys are pretty cool, thanks a bunch. :) I'll definitely be on for the tourney tonight so I'll just get on around an hour before or so.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Shiki Dan posted:

Discussion of Smash as a legitimate fighting game is not allowed (because its loving not) however making fun of the game and its terrible community is a tradition that has long been upheld within these threads, and I'm pretty sure was started by me.

The funny thing is Mew2King (pro smash player known for being super awkward and jizzing on people's beds) was posting on his Facebook asking for advice on what to do as a job that Metaknight is banned and he's not going to play Smash bros anymore, as he has never had a real job in his life and is 22 years old with no work experience.

As for Bloody Roar I remember that game being really bad but there was this one dude who looked like the guy from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that could turn into a chameleon and he was pretty dang cool!

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I'm gonna have to back out of the ST tournament I like sleep too much

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Gamest Mook posted:

I'm gonna have to back out of the ST tournament I like sleep too much

Its OK, its nice of you to step out of a tournament where you would mercilessly body everyone. :)

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Pols not the one you should worry about, there's a couple other killers that have entered as well. I won't spoil the fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

Its OK, its nice of you to step out of a tournament where you would mercilessly body everyone. :)
I'm pretty sure Pol went 0-2 in the last ST tournament iirc

• Locked thread