Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drox posted:

True enough, but I so rarely make diamond anything. :(

You really should at least make diamond swords. They last ages and only cost two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

S Danger K posted:

Not really liking how fences hook up now.

Think of it as a stabilizer such as what you find on grapevines and young trees.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

bout it flautist posted:

Think of it as a stabilizer such as what you find on grapevines and young trees.

Fences are actually grapevines. I'm gonna go fence-farming now, because I love grapes. :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vargs posted:

You really should at least make diamond swords. They last ages and only cost two.
Armor is more useful now than it's ever been, though, because it no longer loses effectiveness as it loses durability. Diamond armor, therefore, gives max protection until it's utterly destroyed. As opposed to before, where after enough good hits you're taking more damage than you would in a fresh suit of iron or even leather. It's godlike when you need to soak up damage.
Also, Notch said another method of repair might be coming, but he wasn't clear. At the very least, there's a method you can use now that's just combining two of the same item, with both damaged, to create a new item that has more durability than both combined.

So two diamond swords at 20% durability might combine to make one at 60% or whatever. Adds uses and saves inventory space.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, me and some friends dug a hole in the ocean.

Being dug out

View from the hole.

Day and Night.

Hoping to make another one on a new server with the new natural caves

Orv
May 4, 2011
What's with the crazy pillar array, Rasputin?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oh thats my friends giant platform area with opera house forest observatory and giant vault, but I just wanted to show off my neat hole though, don't have pictures of that other boring stuff, just got a big ol' hole.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I stopped playing Minecraft way, way back (the last update I played added books and bookshelves, iirc) and I've been having a bit of an itch to play it again. I'm kind of lost with the patches, though. Would it be better to wait for the next major release(1.9?) that looks like its adding a bunch of stuff or just go ahead and jump in now?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Omnicarus posted:

Would it be better to wait for the next major release(1.9?) that looks like its adding a bunch of stuff or just go ahead and jump in now?
I'd say wait. Right now a lot of huge features are half-implemented or not implemented. Alchemy and Enchanting are coming in the next patch, along with new sounds for many monsters, better polish, all sorts of things.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah starting on the 18th there will be a feature freeze and Mohjang will just be bug crushing and polishing the game a huge amount for it's full no longer beta release. Right now if you aren't playing I'd wait a patch or two cause a lot of things are gonna be smoothed out that can be annoying right now

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Just play it now. If you wait for Minecraft to be "smoothed out" and "polished" before you start playing, you'll probably never play it.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, me and some friends dug a hole in the ocean.

Being dug out

View from the hole.

Day and Night.

Hoping to make another one on a new server with the new natural caves

What minimap mod is that? Zans?

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Schweinhund posted:

Just play it now. If you wait for Minecraft to be "smoothed out" and "polished" before you start playing, you'll probably never play it.

This. For ages I put off investing in a new world because some new fix, or feature, or new terrain gen or whatever was just around the corner. Just gotta jump in at some point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bat Ham posted:

This. For ages I put off investing in a new world because some new fix, or feature, or new terrain gen or whatever was just around the corner. Just gotta jump in at some point.
I'd argue that's usually true, but right now it's not so much. 1.9 is right around the corner with several new features, including ones that aren't in (or are only broken in) 1.9pre/pre2. And if you go for the latest full release (1.8.1) then you'll be missing out on the same features, plus animal husbandry and some others, plus the world you start now will be using different world-generation code than it would in 1.9 meaning sharp boundaries if you ever transition between them.
If you've waited this long holding off a bit longer shouldn't be a big deal, but if you do have to jump in, go for 1.9pre instead of 1.8 so you can at least keep your world without any weirdness.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Vib Rib posted:

How exactly does one get them?

The records are now in INVedit and they are really great.

The jukebox in my house makes me :3:.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I built a basic chicken farm. Just a 4x5 fenced in pen set into the ground with an isolated block of glass inside so I can walk right into the chicken pit and jump out if I can get onto the glass block. Got an uncountable mass of chickens in there that give me well over 16 eggs any time I happen to gather them.

I built a chicken oven where I can throw eggs and have the chickens pushed by water to a drop into a fire that they'll quickly flee from, leaving their items to drop elsewhere.

The whole system is fantastically useful, and it's gotten me 20 or so cooked chickens already, just hours after I finished it.

The question I have is... do burnt chickens drop fewer feathers? I slaughtered a failed farm with my sword and, with a totally non statistical gut sampling, it felt like I was getting two feathers as often as either one or none, while I'm not sure any of my burnt chickens have dropped two so far as I could tell, and quite a few have dropped none.

Is a loss of feathers a known side effect of burning chickens alive?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Some of them might not be escaping from the fire, or they might die close enough that a feather drifts into the flames and burns up. You could try raising the fire 2 above the rest of the oven.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Some of them might not be escaping from the fire, or they might die close enough that a feather drifts into the flames and burns up. You could try raising the fire 2 above the rest of the oven.
Oven design ain't a problem. They fall a good several blocks after catching fire.

Edit: It was probably just a fluke before. After some preliminary highly controlled tests I ended up getting a lot more feathers with cooked chicken... which is undoubtedly a fluke in the other direction, but confirms in my mind that there's no reason not to burn chickens.

As a side note- optimal chicken slaughtering chute- a 1x1 hole with a fence in front of it and a roof above it. You can throw eggs over the fence, but chickens can't get out. Useful, as if you launch all your eggs at once you're going to be hitting the chickens that come out first with the later eggs and they're going to try to go up and out.

Another note- I don't think I'll ever eat bread again. Why would I with all this cooked chicken I got after conducting my scientific study?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 1, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
And this is what happens at the intersection of a ravine, a stronghold, and an abandoned mine:

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Eiba posted:

Oven design ain't a problem. They fall a good several blocks after catching fire.

Edit: It was probably just a fluke before. After some preliminary highly controlled tests I ended up getting a lot more feathers with cooked chicken... which is undoubtedly a fluke in the other direction, but confirms in my mind that there's no reason not to burn chickens.

As a side note- optimal chicken slaughtering chute- a 1x1 hole with a fence in front of it and a roof above it. You can throw eggs over the fence, but chickens can't get out. Useful, as if you launch all your eggs at once you're going to be hitting the chickens that come out first with the later eggs and they're going to try to go up and out.

Another note- I don't think I'll ever eat bread again. Why would I with all this cooked chicken I got after conducting my scientific study?

Do you mind posting a blueprint mock-up of said oven? I like the idea and want to build/mess with it.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

People I have found the holy grail of seeds. The new Gargamel
seed is 949541376

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

^^^ That is an awesome construction but... out of curiosity, how many mountains have you seen in 1.8?
Because pretty much every mountain range is Gargamel nowadays. It's awesome.

ColorBirdNumber posted:

Do you mind posting a blueprint mock-up of said oven? I like the idea and want to build/mess with it.
Side view:

code:
#########
##X    O
## | 
## ######
##
##*
##N
### +
### #####
#########
O is where you stand, and X is where you throw your eggs. The vertical line is the fence, the asterisk is the fire on top of the netherrack (N) and the plus sign is a gate so the flaming chickens can't run around, but you can collect their bodies easily.

This whole thing is two dimensional and should have walls on to either side of it.

So far it's gone relatively well, but not flawlessly. You can just unload all your eggs, even if you're pelting a chicken at the top of the chute, then go down and find your chickens all cooked. Except very rarely a chicken will spontaneously die before it falls. It's not that bad as you can stand right next to the fence and grab the raw chicken and feather in that case. I've never had a chicken stay in the fire, though. They always run in the one direction they can, so you don't lose items that way.

I also found three chickens wandering about the upper level after launching a bunch of eggs. No idea how they got there, as my chicken farm is on the lower level, so they couldn't be traditional escapees. I burned them all manually for their troubles.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Eiba posted:

^^^ That is an awesome construction but... out of curiosity, how many mountains have you seen in 1.8?
Because pretty much every mountain range is Gargamel nowadays. It's awesome.
True but this is like 15 in close proximity and then plains all around it with lava and water flows all over them.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
How does multiplayer communicate chunk updates to players? When someone places a block and you're standing next to them, in the same chunk, does it just tell your client that x block was added at y location? Or does it resend the entire chunk each time its modified?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I was totally surprised to actually find a stronghold last night!

Pretty cool.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/120207632228298753

quote:

notch Markus Persson
An enchantment table imgur.com/yA2DD?full

And I guess people have already figured out what the hieroglyphics mean.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Stokes posted:

Spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself.

It is in SGA from Commander Keen. it says
well played internet you are good
These names will be random and confusing
Each spell costs experience levels

Though what is really interesting is that Notch's in game level is displayed on the EXP bar and that the enchanting system doesn't cost exp but rather FULL levels (full bars).

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 1, 2011

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, redstone.

From my reading, it didn't look too hard. You just have to take a step back and realize that even redstone dust and torches are just blocks stuck to other blocks, albeit with funny-shaped hitboxes. It's ALL just blocks, even if it looks like mostly air.

My first little baby redstone project was to make twinkle twinkle little star in note blocks. It took an hour or so, but it turned out perfectly after some tweaking. It was simple enough, the end result was something I'm already familiar with, it only uses one z-level, and I used the Minecraft Forums redstone guide PDF to jump a couple hurdles such as needing to make the repeaters line up with the dust trails. You can find that here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544827-redstone-guide-v121/

I would 100% suggest that project to anyone that wants to learn redstone, it really isn't hard at all. I'm working on piston doors now and feeling a bit like it's over my head.

The Yogbox was like a fresh coat of paint, It introduces many more mostly aesthetic variables to the base world which certainly help relieve boredom. But redstone is not random. It is based on a set of impossibly complex rules, like it's own little language made out of blocks. It makes me feel like a loving stupid little kid again. It's brilliant, and I get the satisfaction of actually seeing myself improving at a skill through my constructions that no mod can give.

Except maybe technic. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Point is, I want alchemy and maybe enchantments to be as complicated as redstone. I want them to be mechanics that are simple to learn, with a small curveball to being proficient with them, and they should be fiendishly difficultto master. That's what will keep me playing.

And eventually I wanna make this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVa0FIenDWI&feature=player_embedded

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 1, 2011

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Semisponge posted:

I was totally surprised to actually find a stronghold last night!

Pretty cool.

For a minute there, I looked at this and thought "wow, this is a pretty amazing above-ground formation" before realising that it was, of course, underground.
I know we all have different ideas about what we'd like in the game, but I'd love if notch focussed a bit more on adding cool above-ground geographical features like ridges, mountain ranges, glaciers, etc., all with their own weather extremes.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone have a link to the server app for 1.9 pre-release 2 ?

edit: never mind, found it

Howmuch fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 1, 2011

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vargs posted:

That's generally what I make. A sword and a pick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's the smallest redstone repeater clock that doesn't have to be reset every time you load the game? Doesn't matter what the period is, in fact a slower clock that produces less lag might even be better.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

JNeil125 posted:

Holy poo poo, redstone.

From my reading, it didn't look too hard. You just have to take a step back and realize that even redstone dust and torches are just blocks stuck to other blocks, albeit with funny-shaped hitboxes. It's ALL just blocks, even if it looks like mostly air.

My first little baby redstone project was to make twinkle twinkle little star in note blocks. It took an hour or so, but it turned out perfectly after some tweaking. It was simple enough, the end result was something I'm already familiar with, it only uses one z-level, and I used the Minecraft Forums redstone guide PDF to jump a couple hurdles such as needing to make the repeaters line up with the dust trails. You can find that here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544827-redstone-guide-v121/

I would 100% suggest that project to anyone that wants to learn redstone, it really isn't hard at all. I'm working on piston doors now and feeling a bit like it's over my head.

The Yogbox was like a fresh coat of paint, It introduces many more mostly aesthetic variables to the base world which certainly help relieve boredom. But redstone is not random. It is based on a set of impossibly complex rules, like it's own little language made out of blocks. It makes me feel like a loving stupid little kid again. It's brilliant, and I get the satisfaction of actually seeing myself improving at a skill through my constructions that no mod can give.

Except maybe technic. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Point is, I want alchemy and maybe enchantments to be as complicated as redstone. I want them to be mechanics that are simple to learn, with a small curveball to being proficient with them, and they should be fiendishly difficult to master. That's what will keep me playing.
I like redstone for the same reason but a lot of its properties in compressed circuit-building are basically bullshit. It could really do with an upgrade so that a) redstone snaps to any adjacent device and actually sends power to it and/or b) you placed redstone as nodes that wire to adjacent nodes rather than wires, could place nodes on the bottom and sides of blocks and have it power any block it was on.

If you want some pre-built doors to look at I just built a bunch of relatively small, colour-coded latching piston doors (2x3, 2x2 in a bunch of sizes, 1x2, 1x3) that I could put up on mediafire.

EDIT: ^ I'm pretty sure there's no repeater clock that will survive reloading a world. However, some guy made an adventure map called Kingdom of the Sky where he found a method of automatically resetting repeater clocks using minecarts and pistons. Basically he had a 3x4 rectangular track with 2 powered track pieces on opposite sides (with an equal length of track between them) and a detector track piece next to a piston. The piston would raise its arm into the block beside the frozen repeater and the state-change would (most of the time) reset the repeater. It works because minecarts keep their momentum between exiting and loading a world, so the minecart constantly activates the piston.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 1, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

EDIT: ^ I'm pretty sure there's no repeater clock that will survive reloading a world. However, some guy made an adventure map called Kingdom of the Sky where he found a method of automatically resetting repeater clocks using minecarts and pistons. Basically he had a 3x4 rectangular track with 2 powered track pieces on opposite sides (with an equal length of track between them) and a detector track piece next to a piston. The piston would raise its arm into the block beside the frozen repeater and the state-change would (most of the time) reset the repeater. It works because minecarts keep their momentum between exiting and loading a world, so the minecart constantly activates the piston.

I could have sworn I've had piston-based clocks survive restarting, it's just that all the designs I know and understand for them are gigantic.

I guess I'll see if I can find a way to jump-start the entire system with a button. At least then I won't have to place and remove the torch every time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's the smallest redstone repeater clock that doesn't have to be reset every time you load the game? Doesn't matter what the period is, in fact a slower clock that produces less lag might even be better.

a 3x3 minecart track with a sensor and a powered rail

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

crazylakerfan posted:

a 3x3 minecart track with a sensor and a powered rail

Perfect, my current (non-restart-safe) design is 2x3, and I've got space for one more row. Thanks!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stokes posted:

Is... is that written in Standard Galactic?

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
You could probably use 2 pieces of sloped track with another cart at the bottom to bounce another cart back up the slope. That would only be a 1x3 footprint.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Schwarzwald posted:

Is... is that written in Standard Galactic?

Yes it is.

Well played internet/You are good
These names will be/Random and confusing
Each spell costs/Experience levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Enzer posted:

Though what is really interesting is that Notch's in game level is displayed on the EXP bar and that the enchanting system doesn't cost exp but rather FULL levels (full bars).

I'm glad that they've used exp levels for enchanting - I'm less stressed out about exp if I think of it as a currency to be spent rather than as experience points to be hoarded, particularly when I can spend it on something semi-permanent like enchanted items. It would be nice if they could use a slightly more forgiving exp-loss-on-death system than fuckin' Demon's Souls, though.

Also: 9 redstone dust should be craftable into a redstone block, which does constant lightning damage to anything touching it when it's powered. (Keep out of reach of creepers.)