Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I visited like 10 stores in northern MA and no sellers :( Ah well, soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
am up for getting one from a place that breaks street date, then selling it when I get my CE. I REALLY want to play it. Living in the SF bay area (San Jose). A friend of mine said to try seven eleven, but I don't know which one has video games. I tried calling a couple and they were all like 'what? no!'

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So curse status doesn't go away when you get killed? There's a line between challenging and simply unfair, and that seems to fall squarely on the latter.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Funkmaster General posted:

It'll stack a third time, too.

Awesome.

I did have to look that up now, and it seems I am indeed hosed and have to start over, because the healer is in an area I can't survive in that state and the only vendor who sells an item that can heal it is behind a boss I haven't beaten yet.

I knew I was getting a difficult game, but this is pretty much permadeath.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

InnercityGriot posted:

Found a place that broke street date in LA, am currently excited as gently caress to play this game. Anybody in the Los Angeles area looking for a place to break street date, let me know.

The other store I checked in LA did not have any copies for PS3 (Though I am weighing my options on 360, if it is not much different), so I am interested.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found an alternative.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 1, 2011

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

GhostDog posted:

Awesome.

I did have to look that up now, and it seems I am indeed hosed and have to start over, because the healer is in an area I can't survive in that state and the only vendor who sells an item that can heal it is behind a boss I haven't beaten yet.

I knew I was getting a difficult game, but this is pretty much permadeath.

That is pretty hosed up, I know it's supposed to be difficult but that's just too much.

toa5t
Apr 12, 2004

Of course I am.
here is my code
http://goo.gl/YA3iz

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Gonna get intentionally cursed and have it stack ten times and then complete the entire game naked, in-game and IRL cause I'm not a babby. The real dark souls starts here.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bland posted:

That is pretty hosed up, I know it's supposed to be difficult but that's just too much.

It certainly sucked all my motivation away right quick. There's challenging and then there's flat out unfair. You should not be able to get into the area with the cursing enemies before you opened up a vendor that sells a healing item for it. Fighting and running back out of the area is hard enough in itself, getting past a boss is flat out impossible.

Anyway, I'm going to put the game aside for a few days, hopefully I'll feel like going back in at some point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Regarding being cursed, apparently it has at least one upside. A guy in the sewer says that you can fight the ghosts if you are cursed somehow? I haven't tested it myself though, and I'm not going to purposefully get myself cursed to find out.

edit: vvv I don't follow...

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Samurai Sanders posted:

Regarding being cursed, apparently it has at least one upside. A guy in the sewer says that you can fight the ghosts if you are cursed somehow? I haven't tested it myself though, and I'm not going to purposefully get myself cursed to find out.

transient curse

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes you can. I tried getting past them because that one healer is supposed to be somewhere down there, but they can of course one-shot me, always come at least as a pair, and have a far reaching grab attack.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah you get that item on the way into the ghost section, and they occasionally drop it too, it's hardly a bonus being able to go through that area though, cause that part sucks hard.

Edit re the post above mine: Are you loving kidding me? I'm going to need to go through that lovely ghost lake to get the curse cured?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Leyburn posted:

Yeah you get that item on the way into the ghost section, and they occasionally drop it too, it's hardly a bonus being able to go through that area though, cause that part sucks hard.

Edit re the post above mine: Are you loving kidding me? I'm going to need to go through that lovely ghost lake to get the curse cured?

There's also supposedly a vendor somewhere in the bell tower? I haven't beaten the gargoyles yet, so that's kinda my problem. There is of course the possibility that not all the ways to heal it have been found yet.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: vvv I don't follow...

It's an item you can buy. It's like getting cursed but it's temporary.

Also, to Leyburn: You can visit the guy on the roof with the bell and he'll sell you an item for 4k to cure yourself.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I have no idea if this is helpful or not as I haven't played the game but here's a guide to removing curse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJq3Dz46Tso

Apologies if it's of no help

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
How do you kick or use a jumping attack in this game? It said left stick and R1/R2 in the tutorial by I can't get that poo poo to work. I'm playing on PS3.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

InnercityGriot posted:

How do you kick or use a jumping attack in this game? It said left stick and R1/R2 in the tutorial by I can't get that poo poo to work. I'm playing on PS3.

Press up on the stick and R1 or R2 at the same time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bland posted:

I have no idea if this is helpful or not as I haven't played the game but here's a guide to removing curse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJq3Dz46Tso

The best way to not worry about being cursed is when you see the curse frogs, run the gently caress the other way. You don't have to go through there to get to the boss anyway.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bland posted:

That says a patch was released (at least for the JP version) that makes an easier to access merchant sell the cure as well. So maybe they realized being able to get cursed before you can reliably reach a cure was an oversight.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
My code: http://goo.gl/vk0hL

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

The.GreyWolf posted:

Also, to Leyburn: You can visit the guy on the roof with the bell and he'll sell you an item for 4k to cure yourself.

Well that's good to know at least. I'm probably done for today. 10 hours is probably more than enough. So far I've killed the bridge taurus monster, the gargoyles, the goat skull guy with the two swords and dogs and a big motherfucking hydra. The Gaping Dragon has destroyed me a few times now, I'll get him though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, there is some bug or something going on that makes target switching way, way less reliable than in Demon's. I have gotten used to simply un-targeting and then re-targeting to grab the nearest enemy.

Switching targets in Dark Souls requires a double-tap up or down on the right stick.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The crypt area is just full of laugh out loud deaths, due to its darkness and weird looking enemies like skeleton wheels. First one of them just ran me right over from behind, and then later when I was doing pretty well fighting them off until suddenly flying black knight attack out of nowhere.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
What is the best covenant? They all sound so cool :ohdear:

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Scoobi posted:

What is the best covenant? They all sound so cool :ohdear:

Every single one of them is awesome as gently caress it is seriously going to be the hardest decision.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are all covenants mutually exclusive?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Do covenants carry over into New Game Plus?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren:How to heal a curse if you have no access to the healer or vendor:

You need to be able to get back to the undead asylum, which requires the elevator in the back of the firelink shrine to be active. Here's how you get back to the undead asylum (copied from the wiki):

To do so, you must have access to the elevator that goes down to Fire Shrine from the Church, from the bottom, when the elevator starts moving up, you must move forward and drop on top of the area where you exit/enter the elevator at the bottom, follow the path to the right, on top of a little green patch, look down, and you will see a broken column, do a roll towards that broken column and land on it, and go across the beam, from there climb up the stairs all the way to the top, where you will find the craw's nest, when you step in, you will get a prompt to "Curl Into a Ball", if you crawl into a ball, about 30 seconds or so, the craw will pick you up, and bring you back to the Undead Asylum.

Then trade one red invasion stone with the crow for two purging stones.

Phew, that was close. Happy again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GhostDog posted:

To do so, you must have access to the elevator that goes down to Fire Shrine from the Church, from the bottom, when the elevator starts moving up, you must move forward and drop on top of the area where you exit/enter the elevator at the bottom, follow the path to the right, on top of a little green patch, look down, and you will see a broken column, do a roll towards that broken column and land on it, and go across the beam, from there climb up the stairs all the way to the top, where you will find the craw's nest, when you step in, you will get a prompt to "Curl Into a Ball", if you crawl into a ball, about 30 seconds or so, the craw will pick you up, and bring you back to the Undead Asylum.

This is literally incredible.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Neo Rasa posted:

This is literally incredible.

It's some genuine Castlevania II poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I need to stress is how incredibly vertical this game is. I haven't seen anything like it since Super Metroid, it's something that frankly I wondered if it was gone from gaming forever (other than maybe Minecraft). The various areas are SO FAR UP or SO FAR DOWN from each other, and inside the same area you can look waaaaaaaaay up or waaaaaaaaay down and see the faint, faint lights of where you came from or where you are going. It's really incredible.

If you imagine the big chasm in 2-2 of Demon's that if you go straight down it you bypass the entire stage, you're getting the tiniest taste of what every area in Dark Souls is like.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
I can't believe I just bought a ps3 for this game. I own a 360. I am an idiot.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

GhostDog posted:

:siren:How to heal a curse if you have no access to the healer or vendor:

You need to be able to get back to the undead asylum, which requires the elevator in the back of the firelink shrine to be active. Here's how you get back to the undead asylum (copied from the wiki):

Then trade one red invasion stone with the crow for two purging stones.

Phew, that was close. Happy again.

Wow, that's awesome information and I'm going to put that in the OP right the hell now so no one has to restart a game due to curse-stacking. Curses-stacking is really one of the only "What the gently caress were they thinking?" decisions so far, even though they thought the impact of curses would be dulled a bit by internet communities/online functionality.

It's good you managed to find that trick before restarting the game. poo poo like that really is unfair.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I guess now you can buy Demon's Souls too!

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

InnercityGriot posted:

Found a place that broke street date in LA, am currently excited as gently caress to play this game. Anybody in the Los Angeles area looking for a place to break street date, let me know.

This would make my day, lordsofplague at gmail dot com.

Are there more spears in this one? And have they changed the animations at all?

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

InnercityGriot posted:

Echoing the above - in case you missed my post earlier.
edit: Thanks

pvax fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 2, 2011

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

fivetwo posted:

I can't believe I just bought a ps3 for this game. I own a 360. I am an idiot.

Sounds like someone has a good 48 hours to get through Demon's Souls. Get cracking.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Bonesnap posted:

Are there more spears in this one? And have they changed the animations at all?

There are at least four different spears that I've seen so far, with there being possibly more. The animations don't seem to be changed much, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Updated goon master list for pages 12-23.

• Locked thread