Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felk
Jun 25, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

Regarding sequels, Adventures of Skullball in Desert World seems a little narrow compared to the scope of Nier.

There already was a sequel of sorts, but it was only printed in that NIER book thingy that came out in Japan. If I'm remembered right, ending D from the game is the canon and Emil gets a new magic body or something and Kaine keeps remembering bits and pieces of Nier but still can't fully remember him. They both end up going to that forest village place where there's some kind of shade-producing generator (I think?) in that big-rear end tree and destroy it. I'm pretty sure it ends up bringing Nier back and it ends with that.

Edit: Did a little searching and I found it, I totally forgot there actually was an addition that pretty much details what you said too haha.

Around the world in 80 days Emil's adventures as a head: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19D5Qry8Z40BMa0VcMdlhcGH8l3nW5PwesiQmmOtP50w/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Ending E summary: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VEIsGCY-qhAteyDzNqiITvCqH0D5seatCOYbfWDd9pU/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Felk fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Doesn't, like, every drat game get its own concert or something? Persona 3/4 sure did.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is this game supposed to be ugly and the combat be weird zelda/bullet hell homages? Also is the storyline/setting supposed to be this interesting? Because I feel like it really shouldn't but it is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is this game supposed to be ugly and the combat be weird zelda/bullet hell homages? Also is the storyline/setting supposed to be this interesting? Because I feel like it really shouldn't but it is.

Yes and yes.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

NonsenseWords posted:

This being Nier, though, I imagine hope is going to be crushed in short order.

Hope crushing is go.

Although I was honestly expecting the 'major announcement' to be about the piano arrangement album, so at least it was something new.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The gameplay is serviceable; competent, is the best way I can think to put it. The reason all of us here fawn over the game is the story.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How the everloving gently caress do you fish? I get an hp bar for half a second then nothing...

edit: I was on the wrong beach

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 1, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How the everloving gently caress do you fish? I get an hp bar for half a second then nothing...

Look at your minimap. If you're not on the red X you're fishing in the wrong spot. Yes it's loving stupid that the spot right next to the tutorial is the wrong spot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you "level up" fishing? is it a thing? I don't understand.

Now I know what to do it's pretty easy. This bloom is killing me though.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Coughing Hobo posted:

The gameplay is serviceable; competent, is the best way I can think to put it. The reason all of us here fawn over the game is the story.

And the music, and the setting.

It's really an indescribable experience and I don't think there's anything quite like it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you "level up" fishing? is it a thing? I don't understand.

Now I know what to do it's pretty easy. This bloom is killing me though.

Complete quests for the guy who gave you the fishing tutorial to increase your fishing skills.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

tooooooo bad posted:

Complete quests for the guy who gave you the fishing tutorial to increase your fishing skills.

Or just plain don't bother because it's completely optional, and I don't even think you really get anything all that drat good if you do all the fishing sidequests either, except for funny banter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

For me it was the atmosphere even more than the story.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Or just plain don't bother because it's completely optional, and I don't even think you really get anything all that drat good if you do all the fishing sidequests either, except for funny banter.

You get a few trophies/achievements out of it. Also, banter is one of the things that make this game so cool, if not just fish until they run out of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Moon Monster posted:

For me it was the atmosphere even more than the story.

And the music. Goddamn, the music!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fuzz posted:

And the music. Goddamn, the music!

I convinced a few people who thought that all videogame music was still Gameboy sounds or arcade bleeps and bloops, to listen to Nier's OST.

It totally blew their minds.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wow, I was fishing for those black things in the village lake in part 1 and caught a catfish that was 150in long and 967lbs on the first one :pwn:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I love the music in this game, and really want to know where to find more like it. I have been looking for orchestrated music to add to my collection.

Anyone have any Ideas where I can get more music like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Games I have already gotten music from:
Halo series
Metal Gear Solid 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Mario Galaxy
NieR

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LordIronHat posted:

I love the music in this game, and really want to know where to find more like it. I have been looking for orchestrated music to add to my collection.

Anyone have any Ideas where I can get more music like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Halo series
Metal Gear Solid 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Mario Galaxy
NieR

Lost Odyssey - With some relxaing music, and some pumping battle themes. [e] How could I forget motherfucking "Neverending Journey"!
Any of the Shadow Hearts games
Xenosaga - Sinister, oddly enlifiting and blood pumping action music
You put SOTC, how about Ico? Ominous, creepy, and with a sort of rural innocent charm.
The orchestrations of the various Final Fantasies are also quite decent.
Any Legend of Zelda music. Any music. All music.

I'll get back to you with some others.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 1, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just got Kaine, this owns

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

LordIronHat posted:

Halo series
Metal Gear Solid 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Mario Galaxy
NieR

El Shaddai is the closest game post-Nier that sounds like Nier.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you're looking for orchestrated video game music there's always Castlevania: Lords of Shadow in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm continually impressed by how long this thread has survived. Goes to show how awesome the game is imo.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm loving this game. Just got ending B and going to make this my first Platinum.

I've gotten all the fishing quests completed and the trophies that go with it, but i'm looking for advice on what/where to grind for weapon materials

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LordIronHat posted:

Halo series
Metal Gear Solid 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Mario Galaxy
NieR

I don't know why, but I can't get into game soundtracks unless I've played the actual game. They just don't do it for me otherwise when they have no context for me. Anyone else like that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I don't know why, but I can't get into game soundtracks unless I've played the actual game. They just don't do it for me otherwise when they have no context for me. Anyone else like that?

I know exactly what you mean. I can still like the soundtracks, but I always like game music a lot more when I know its context.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wow, I was fishing for those black things in the village lake in part 1 and caught a catfish that was 150in long and 967lbs on the first one :pwn:

Just wait until you start fishing for 1-ton+ sharks

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wait, specifically for certain weights or just in general? cause I caught a few that were only 200 lbs.

Also how or where do I go to increase my health bar? Can I even?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You increase your health and magic bars by levelling up. Experience is gotten from killing enemies.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GUI posted:

You increase your health and magic bars by levelling up. Experience is gotten from killing enemies.

No I meant the physical bar GUI

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Vadun posted:

I've gotten all the fishing quests completed and the trophies that go with it, but i'm looking for advice on what/where to grind for weapon materials

GameFAQs has a weapon guide that will tell you everything you need to gather. As for where, they're all over the place, but your main grind spots are going to be the Junk Heap and the Shinjuku area that you're sent to by talking to the fortuneteller in the Forest of Myth. The former will supply you with the vast majority of everything you will need, while the latter is good for Shade drops (kitchen knives, metal bats, handsaws, etc).

I'd suggest equipping your best item drop words, and bumping the difficulty to Hard for the duration of your hunt. I'd also suggest doing it at the very end of the playthrough, once you have the key to the final dungeon, just so you have easy access to everywhere you need to be.

I'd also suggest keeping a laptop at hand specifically to watch videos or DVDs because it gets tedious, and for the rarer drops quite frustrating. Having some passive entertainment made it much easier.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No I meant the physical bar GUI
It's increasing in length, but it's not really noticeable at lower levels. You'll see a marked difference if you compare what you have now to what you'll have later, but it's pretty subtle level-to-level.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got to the forest....what the gently caress just happened? :psyduck:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got to the forest....what the gently caress just happened? :psyduck:

Genius, that's what just happened.

Crappy Jack smirked as he typed out his answer, but was disturbed to see that somehow, his own reactions had been added to the post.

"What the hell? I don't remember typing this," he said. But deep in his heart, he didn't mind, because he was just glad to know that somewhere out there, someone had been exposed to the sheer amazingness that was the tree section in Nier.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What I want to know is what that dude meant in the Mayor's dream.

Also it seems I'm about to finish part 1, how long is part 2? I've spent like 15 hours so far...

51% of sidequests :c00l:

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

NonsenseWords posted:

GameFAQs has a weapon guide that will tell you everything you need to gather. As for where, they're all over the place, but your main grind spots are going to be the Junk Heap and the Shinjuku area that you're sent to by talking to the fortuneteller in the Forest of Myth. The former will supply you with the vast majority of everything you will need, while the latter is good for Shade drops (kitchen knives, metal bats, handsaws, etc).

If you need minerary drops instead you should try the Barren Temple in the desert. Turned out really good to hunt for piryte and meteorites. And yeah, get something to do while you run back and forth villages for the rarer drops. GOD, THOSE GIANT AND EAGLE EGGS!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

*enters the Manor*

*gets mad Resident Evil vibes*

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mad Surge posted:

If you need minerary drops instead you should try the Barren Temple in the desert. Turned out really good to hunt for piryte and meteorites. And yeah, get something to do while you run back and forth villages for the rarer drops. GOD, THOSE GIANT AND EAGLE EGGS!

You get heaps of eggs in the DLC. If you're gonna platinum this game, buy the DLC, the rarest drops from the core game are really common in it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why give me a choice if there's no choice to be made?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why give me a choice if there's no choice to be made?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Correct.

I don't understand.

Also why is Nier wearing a mask? I don't remember him getting hit in the eye.

• Locked thread