Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I'm getting the feeling the whole reason they are out there is to oust/get clues on who/what the traitors are. Didn't the sentient titan appear on a flank where one of the maps said Eren would be?

Oh, almost definitely. Commander Irvin is really smart guy. He realized immediately, after the two captured Titans were killed, that there's an infiltrator. Remember, when he talked to the new recruits he revealed the fact that they were going to Eren house's basement. Everyone was wondering why he would revealed something like that to the newbies and now we know, to lure out the infiltrator. He even asked Eren if he noticed anything unusual during the same scene

By the way, the most unnerving thing about this manga is the shorts that they wear, grown men shouldn't wear those things indoors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

davidHalestorm posted:

By the way, the most unnerving thing about this manga is the shorts that they wear, grown men shouldn't wear those things indoors :colbert:

They're not actually shorts! They are wearing white pants and that black thing I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but it attaches to the belt.

To me the weirdest thing is that they're 15, but I guess that goes hand in hand with the demographic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kusaru posted:

They're not actually shorts! They are wearing white pants and that black thing I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but it attaches to the belt.

To me the weirdest thing is that they're 15, but I guess that goes hand in hand with the demographic.

I think the characters being so young makes sense for the early 19th century type society that the author seems to be going for. Fifteen would be considered a bit young for entry into the military, but not unusual or unheard of, especially in a society constantly under siege like this one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kusaru posted:

The black straps are so they can shift their body weight to maneuver with the three-dimensional gear.

Erin's group is mostly young, because they signed up young for various reasons (joining the police or stationary troops to support their families, mostly). If someone displays amazing ability at such a young age, like Mikasa or Armin, they (the government) would be fools to turn them down, especially since one of the walls was breached a few years before. The government needs all the good soldiers it can get.

Erin's friends are all a bit loony, too, seeing as they joined the scouts. Every other recruit joined the police or the stationary troops.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Schubalts posted:

Erin's group is mostly young, because they signed up young for various reasons (joining the police or stationary troops to support their families, mostly). If someone displays amazing ability at such a young age, like Mikasa or Armin, they (the government) would be fools to turn them down, especially since one of the walls was breached a few years before. The government needs all the good soldiers it can get.

Erin's friends are all a bit loony, too, seeing as they joined the scouts. Every other recruit joined the police or the stationary troops.

The recruitment age is 12 for everybody: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/13/17. I understand why they're so young, it's just that once in awhile it hits me, especially when guys like Reiner look much older. Maybe they lowered the recruitment age after the first wall broke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haven't seen anyone comment yet on (huge spoiler)the loving talking titan. I honestly don't really have any idea what's going on with that. I'm pretty sure that titans (probably all of them) have humans in their neck area, since Eren was there and that would fully explain it being their weak point.

Regarding the age - modern perception of the mid-teen years is totally different than it was hundreds of years ago. You were an adult by the age of 15 back then. The biggest reason we see 15 year olds as children now is due to the way modern education is structured (well, that and knowledge that people's brains aren't nearly fully developed by then).

I really like this manga. Something about the general tone/presentation really pulls me in. Like Zorak said, the back and forth time skips work really well; the past segments do a good job of being both interesting and relevant to whatever is going on in the present. I was very disappointed to find out that the vast majority of the latest addition was old material (not sure what was up with that).

By the way, another manga with very different presentation/art but a similar sort of surreal/desperate feel to it is "I am a Hero." It takes a really long time to get going, I think it works better that way. I think it's by the same author that did that manga Ressentiment, though I like this a lot more.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
Don't know if I missed it or what but here's volume 5 at Mangareader

EDIT: It's not new. Someone really needs to label these chapters more coherently.

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 15, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
That translation is new, at least to me. "Yomiru" - so I guess it's not Ymir, which would be "yumiru", but rather Yomiel? One of the leaders of the fallen angels described in the Book of Enoch, who took human wives and fathered giants that ate people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yomiel would be more like Yomieru. I think Ymir is closer to Yomiru than Yomiel is.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/23/193
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/23/194

Um... :psyduck:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:catstare: :dogstare: :stare:

Thats certainly a thing!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
It's "yumiru" in the katakana, anyway.

A couple of the tankobon have joke "next volume" pages. One has Sasha mad about soup.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/198

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 15, 2011

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Kusaru posted:

Welp, that'll teach me to trust anyone translating Giants to not be crushingly incompetent in the most astounding ways. :downs:

Eponym
Dec 31, 2007
I haven't been this interested in a manga since Fullmetal Alchemist ended.

I hope to God that no one ever animates this, ever. I used to think that the "uncanny valley" phenomenon was solely a computer animation thing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

So here's a thing.

ANN - Kamikaze Girls' Nakashima Helms Film About Invading Giants posted:

The official website of Itako, a city north of Tokyo, posted an October 3 casting call for extras on the latest film by award-wining director Tetsuya Nakashima (Confessions, Kamikaze Girls, Paco and the Magical Picture Book). According to the casting call, the crew is looking for 80 "healthy male and female" extras "to play people fleeing in panic from 'giants' who suddenly appear in a peaceful shopping district."

Seiichi Yamazaki, a businessperson in electronic book/video/app distribution and development, wrote on his Twitter account on Tuesday that Nakashima has begun shooting a Shingeki no Kyojin film. However, he quickly added with chagrin that this has not been made public yet.

Hajime Isayama launched a Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) manga in Kodansha's Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine in 2009. The story follows the life of humans after giants suddenly appear and take over the entire world. To keep out these invaders who eat humans for food, the humans erect huge walls, but at the cost of their freedom in the outside world.

The manga has become a sleeper hit, selling over 3 million copies since last year. The fifth volume shipped in August.

Hopefully it'll be better than the live-action Yamato(or Death Note or Kaiji or nearly every other anime/manga adaptation) movie.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Probably going to be really bad, but who knows. The idea of "giants invading a peaceful shopping district" doesnt particularily hype me...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, a completely original story based in modern Japan? I will probably never actually watch this movie regardless of its quality, but that really doesn't inspire confidence.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, a completely original story based in modern Japan?

Maybe the scenes in the shopping center will take place in the past where the giants first started the chaos and whatnot?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, they could go with the whole fall of civilization thing and after several thousand years mankind is at the brink of extinction. It be silly though if the manga took that rout and has the scout crew reach the ruins of tokyo or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd let this thread go unnoticed until I saw it linked from the Finer Arts sticky in GBS. From reading the first chapter, it looks like the artist...isn't very good, he's not HORRIBLE, but his human characters are in a really, really rough style. I hope that he refines his style over the course of the series(similar to how Arakawa and Oda significantly evolved theirs over the years), because it is an interesting concept, and I'll be reading more most definitely! Avoiding reading the rest of the thread until I catch up.

edit: 9 chapters in and this is pretty incredible, really REALLY rough artwork but honestly, it's such a fresh concept that it's forgivable. I do also think it's hilarious that they tried to get something like this put in Shonen Jump.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 2, 2011

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, they could go with the whole fall of civilization thing and after several thousand years mankind is at the brink of extinction. It be silly though if the manga took that rout and has the scout crew reach the ruins of tokyo or whatever.

"Ah god drat it! You ate it all up, didn't you? Ah god drat you all to hell!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd let this thread go unnoticed until I saw it linked from the Finer Arts sticky in GBS. From reading the first chapter, it looks like the artist...isn't very good, he's not HORRIBLE, but his human characters are in a really, really rough style. I hope that he refines his style over the course of the series(similar to how Arakawa and Oda significantly evolved theirs over the years), because it is an interesting concept, and I'll be reading more most definitely! Avoiding reading the rest of the thread until I catch up.

edit: 9 chapters in and this is pretty incredible, really REALLY rough artwork but honestly, it's such a fresh concept that it's forgivable. I do also think it's hilarious that they tried to get something like this put in Shonen Jump.

Yeah, his art is pretty loving terrible but whatever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Captain Invictus posted:

He is bad at drawing people but good at unsettlingly twisted near-human giants and action. Creating a story that played to his strengths so well was a stroke of genius. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like Sasha. :smug:

edit: why does Imgur have a cropping option when it never loving works.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Because it does.

You have to include the "?####" at the end.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There's only a single Asian and no black people, so it'd be a safe bet that the setting is in Europe.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It's set in Anime.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
I love this comic. I'm stuck on the page where the giant PUNCHES the other giant in the face, the first image of giant against giant, and I can't move to the next page yet because I'm still :aaa: about it.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I don't have any problems with the rough art style. It doesn't detract from the action or drama at all, and it's only noticeable during boring dialogue sections. But who really cares about how those are drawn anyways?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The only problem I have with the art is I sometimes think a throwaway character is one of the main characters. Then they get eaten.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And when someone's entire hands are smaller than their eyes, but yeah, the action stuff is well-made.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh man, I almost had a heart attack when Reiner looked like he got pulped.

The art is...okay. I mix up characters every now and then.

Have we ever learned anything about the king?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Chapter 26 is out: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v06/c026/1.html

The only possibility I can think of for her identity (among the people we have met, it could be some random or a "famous" person we don't know) is the blond-hair-and-glasses soldier who was the only survivor of the squads that helped Eren plug the hole.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Kusaru posted:

Chapter 26 is out: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v06/c026/1.html

The only possibility I can think of for her identity (among the people we have met, it could be some random or a "famous" person we don't know) is the blond-hair-and-glasses soldier who was the only survivor of the squads that helped Eren plug the hole.

Last few pages surprised the hell out of me. No idea who she'll end up being but either way I can't wait to find out.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Man I just cannot get enough of this manga, what a great chapter.

Really liked the symbolism of them all biting their own hands too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Looks like the scout force agrees with us that the hyper-intelligent / strange Titans are likely "piloted" one way or another, if not Titans in general.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They do a really good job of building tension but not overdoing the flashback to piss it away. What a nice chapter.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Rivaille's perma-rapeface lessens the impact of the last panel a bit, but it was still really good. Now hyped as gently caress for the next chapter.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zorak posted:

Looks like the scout force agrees with us that the hyper-intelligent / strange Titans are likely "piloted" one way or another, if not Titans in general.

I was surprised that for once the characters can reason like normal people and come to the same conclusions as the readers, unlike every other manga ever :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
They actually come to that conclusion a few chapters ago. The moment that they saw that Eren is able to transform into a Titan, they immediately assume that the Colossal Titan and the Armour Titan worked the same way since they appeared out of nowhere.

As for the latest chapter, loving love the way Hanji freaked out when she saw Eren transform into a titan for the first time. My completely dumb and unfounded specualtion on the identity of the female Titan is that it's Anne, the kicking girl. On the basis that she's a woman and an excellent hand to hand fighter