Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Fallout: Detroit.

They could do an exact 1:1 replica and it would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

rope kid posted:

Whether you think it's a "legit" reason or not, it's actually to ensure that the Legion breeds as many new legionaries as it can at the fastest possible rate. The way it is communicated in game often comes across as "traditionally" sexist instead of "follow these gender roles for army min-maxing".
Caesar probably should have said something about that. That did occur to me, playing through, as a half-passable excuse - that the limited role for women both avoids putting them in direct danger and avoids any delay of child-bearing for professional reasons. But then they also have them carry those giant packs, which is kind of weird and not totally coherent with that perspective.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Strudel Man posted:

Caesar probably should have said something about that. That did occur to me, playing through, as a half-passable excuse - that the limited role for women both avoids putting them in direct danger and avoids any delay of child-bearing for professional reasons. But then they also have them carry those giant packs, which is kind of weird and not totally coherent with that perspective.

The ones carrying the packs were slaves, yeah? So maybe, because they're captured NCR/Mojave citizens, they're not worthy of breeding Legion military men. The Legion childbearers would probably be back in Phoenix and Two Sun anyways.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm playing through OWB for the first time and I just gotta say... they're invisible now?!?!? Are you kidding me?

On Hard those things are nightmares even when I can see them coming. On the other hand, it's so over the top Science! that it's funny.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CommanderCoffee posted:

The ones carrying the packs were slaves, yeah? So maybe, because they're captured NCR/Mojave citizens, they're not worthy of breeding Legion military men. The Legion childbearers would probably be back in Phoenix and Two Sun anyways.
It's my understanding that all women in Legion territory are slaves, not just captures.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Strudel Man posted:

It's my understanding that all women in Legion territory are slaves, not just captures.

Did I say those that were not NCR/Mojave citizens were not slaves? May have been implied, but then again, there is an advantage to keeping captured enemy in the camp and actual Legion Baby Breeders away from it.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

RandolphCarter posted:

I kinda hope for Fallout 5 to be set in the Commonwealth.

Fallout: Hong Kong. Let's see how the other half lives.

To be honest though, i'd like to see the next Fallout revisit the Enclave, and delve into it's motives. Namely, power.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's absolutely no reason at all to have the Legion's women anywhere near the frontlines (which their camp in the mojave is). Far too much risk.

It's pretty much guaranteed that all the slaves in the camp are people who were captured and refused to cooperate or they had no other use for.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Lonesome Road spoilers: Talking with Ulysses after the DLC about House/Caesar and everything was pretty great. I wonder if he says anything about meeting Graham. He's really quite a pleasant stalker once you get to know him. :3:

Sankis posted:

Reinstalling completely with no mods or altered anything didn't help.

So I narrowed it down a bit more. I made a new character, did tmm 01 in the console and started dead money just fine. What the hell? What could possibly be the issue with my one character?

Does anyone know of a way to "fix" my character? I really don't want to restart :(

If you haven't fixed this yet, have you tried getting rid of all of your stuff before triggering the DLC? I had a similar problem where my game would always crash upon loading Dead Money and putting all my stuff in the mail slot (to the left, down the hallway before the DLC triggers) fixed it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I started Lonesome Road. Riot Gear is easily the best looking armor.

Boone's looking pretty snazzy in it too.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schlegel Mach posted:

Lonesome Road spoilers: I wonder if he says anything about meeting Graham. He's really quite a pleasant stalker once you get to know him. :3:

He does. He basically says he's seen him, but did nothing, and to leave him be if you find him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it possible to miss out entirely on finding out what the deal with the Marked Men is? Finished Lonesome Road but didnt get much backstory on those guys. Are they just sandblasted ghouls?

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

SynthOrange posted:

Is it possible to miss out entirely on finding out what the deal with the Marked Men is? Finished Lonesome Road but didnt get much backstory on those guys. Are they just sandblasted ghouls?

That's actually basically it. The sandblasting basically makes them in-pain constantly because they have no skin. Consequently, that makes them tougher because they don't feel the pain. As for where they came from, they're just some sorry suckers who wandered into the Divide.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They're NCR and Legion soldiers who united in their pain and hate or some poo poo. Also the radiation in the divide is magic and they'll die if they try to leave.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks. I also went through as an energy weapons guy, so I didnt find out, but how good is the nail gun? And can you nail dudes to walls with it?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The first time I played Dead Money I noticed something that I want to call a level design trend where goodies were hidden out of line of sight of the player eg. first aid kits around corners or behind doors. You really didn't see a lot of that in the main game for whatever reason (evolution of design, or just economically easier to polish a discrete DLC environment?)

Anyway, LR has a lot of this. The small section between the Canyon Wreckage entrance and the Hopeville base front door actually has three duffel bags, a suitcase, and a crate tucked away (possibly more!) all of which I completely failed to find on my first run through.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
The next Fallout should take place in Asia.

Perhaps in a neat Korea/China/Japan triangle. The US had/has a bunch of large military installations in the latter two so you can easily explain the gringos/enclave-likes. I could see all kinds of awesome things to see and do here. Instead of deserts, you could have radioactive super-jungles overgrowing and cramping into humanity, the oceans boiling in giant volcanic island crater whirlpools, and underwater cities. The former cities of Shanghai and Seoul would be explorable, but even the original Hiroshima/Nagasaki sites for some awkward moments of irony.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks. I also went through as an energy weapons guy, so I didnt find out, but how good is the nail gun? And can you nail dudes to walls with it?

It's a silenced rapid-fire low damage sub-machine gun, no special death effects like FO3's railway rifle that I noticed. The ammo is incredibly easy to come by though, since you can make it with scrap metal.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You know what this game needs? A captive bolt gun.

Chigurh will live on. Plus it would be a neat way to open locks.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Berk Berkly posted:

The next Fallout should take place in Asia.

Perhaps in a neat Korea/China/Japan triangle. The US had/has a bunch of large military installations in the latter two so you can easily explain the gringos/enclave-likes. I could see all kinds of awesome things to see and do here. Instead of deserts, you could have radioactive super-jungles overgrowing and cramping into humanity, the oceans boiling in giant volcanic island crater whirlpools, and underwater cities. The former cities of Shanghai and Seoul would be explorable, but even the original Hiroshima/Nagasaki sites for some awkward moments of irony.

I don't understand why people think putting Fallout in China / Asia is a good idea. Do you know what the 50s China looked like? It was a shithole. No suburbs, no cars, no industry, nothing. There was massive famine in China until the 80s.

- No vaults
- No retro music
- No recognizable weapons, other than ~katanas~ or AKs
- No pop culture
- No English (I guess you could subtitle everything, haha)

It wouldn't be a Fallout game.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
The retro 50s America theme is just that, a theme. The Fallout world didn't actually end until 2077 in Nuclear War. Nothing says a Fallout in an Asian region has to be retro 50s China.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The next Fallout should be set in Iceland.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Berk Berkly posted:

The retro 50s America theme is just that, a theme. The Fallout world didn't actually end until 2077 in Nuclear War. Nothing says a Fallout in an Asian region has to be retro 50s China.

Pretty much. As a Scandinavian I didn't even notice that Fallout was supposed to be retro 50's Americana until I started reading about Fallout 3 pointing out how important that element was to the game. It was very much a revelation for me. It was just a funny representative of a bleak future outlook to me.

It fit for how the rest of the world sees America anyway and I think for other parts of the world, it could easily just represent the way that part of the world is most easily remembered, ideally or not.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Can we put something in the OP about "where should the next Fallout be" discussions? The last thread had identical arguments every five pages.

"It should totally be in [city]! Imagine [iconic city landmark] infested with raiders! And then you'd have to fight [distinct population group associated with city] as GHOULS!"

Then maybe say that what sets the Fallout franchise apart from other post-apocalyptic games is the pre-war American iconography evoking the hubris unique to boomtown mid-century America, which creates a distinctively ironic backdrop for the desolate misery of the wasteland it helped bring about. You could theoretically change that cultural backdrop to something more location-specific, but then you'd just have Hellgate:London or STALKER. It's like saying the next season of Mad Men should take place in the 1980s, or that the next James Bond should be a German agent working for the BND.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Or put it like this: If Fallout strays too far from the original design path poo poo like this happens.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or put it like this: If Fallout strays too far from the original design path poo poo like this happens.

Well, no, that isn't what we are talking about. BoS is pretty classic fallout in theme and location, it just attempted to translate it into an Action game instead of the isometric TBS-RPG.

Note that Bethesda did a similar thing, rehashing all the previous content and regurgitating it as a RPG-FPS, set in the capital wasteland. New Vegas brings us back to the American South West, but now with a splash of Pulp-Western and lots of fan-service/nostalgia.

Then again, maybe New Vegas is the last real Fallout game for a long time. I know LR was supposed to be the last content heavy DLC. In five or ten years we can rehash it all again with rose-tinted glasses. We will laugh about how bad the engine was(like we don't already).

Now I'm feeling kind of depressed. The second age of Fallout is over. :emo:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of want a Fallout game set in the NCR and there's a sudden invasion by the Chinese who survived the Great War, rebuilt, and intend to finish what was started over 200 years ago.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

Well, no, that isn't what we are talking about. BoS is pretty classic fallout in theme and location, it just attempted to translate it into an Action game instead of the isometric TBS-RPG.

Note that Bethesda did a similar thing, rehashing all the previous content and regurgitating it as a RPG-FPS, set in the capital wasteland. New Vegas brings us back to the American South West, but now with a splash of Pulp-Western and lots of fan-service/nostalgia.

Then again, maybe New Vegas is the last real Fallout game for a long time. I know LR was supposed to be the last content heavy DLC. In five or ten years we can rehash it all again with rose-tinted glasses. We will laugh about how bad the engine was(like we don't already).

I would expect Fallout 4 within the next couple of years.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Hahahaha, can you loving believe Obsidian only let us decide the fate of the Mojave? loving amateurs only had one independent path!"

:shepface:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Snark posted:

It's like saying the next season of Mad Men should take place in the 1980s, or that the next James Bond should be a German agent working for the BND.

Just as a preface: I actually think these would be kind of rad. "Vodka marteenee. Shaken, nicht stirred."

But I disagree that Americana is any more vital to the *~Fallout Experience~* than Bloody Mess or the Vaults or plasma guns. It's an element that helps ground the experience of the game in a specific setting, but it doesn't define that setting to such a degree that it's immutable. Especially with the fact that the games aren't set in that 1950s inspired retro-future, they're set in the post-apocalyptic aftermath where remnants of the old world are few and far between.

It could go either way, really, and changing the American setting could be a mistake. But I don't think it'd be a fatal one.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SynthOrange posted:

The H&H Tools Nail Gun will nail limbs to walls, but I think it only does that in VATS.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

The best part about New Vegas for me was how much it continues the Fallout universe. While I haven't played much of FO1, I played a lot of FO2. The references to the older games don't feel so much as references, but more of continuing a story. Being able to decide the fate of groups like the NCR, Great Khans, etc feels like I'm actually making important choices in the games world. Compare that to FO3 where the only thing you can possibly do is save a tiny bubble of BoS people.

So theoretically, if there ever is another Fallout game it should be at some level of progression from the past games. I'm not saying that the same exact characters need to be in it, but there should be relation somehow (ie a faction that was once part of Legion, an evolved form of Enclave).

Although, probably the biggest reason why I would be excited for a new FO game would be a new engine. The possibilities are endless with what could be done compared to Gamebryo.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Berk Berkly posted:

Bethesda has a project lined up after Skyrim. I think we can all guess what that is.

If they can successfully incorporate the improvements and lessons from New Vegas, I think Fallout 4 will be pretty great. The only problem is trying to decide the location.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

HoveringCheesecake posted:

If they can successfully incorporate the improvements and lessons from New Vegas, I think Fallout 4 will be pretty great. The only problem is trying to decide the location.

Pacific Northwest. I want some loving greenery and some trees for once.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

antidote posted:

I would expect Fallout 4 within the next couple of years.

If the sales figures from eg. wikipedia are correct, I would expect that too. The problem is that it will probably be Bethesda again, and well after seeing what they do with the franchise I'm not all that excited. Best thing that could happen is an announcement that Obsidian has already been working on Fallout 4 using the Skyrim engine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

If they can successfully incorporate the improvements and lessons from New Vegas

What, like "try to make a coherent world" and "have divergent plots"? If they haven't learned it before then why would yet another game that does those well make a difference

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

The thing is if Fallout was set in a new area with a new theme, new everything, it wouldn't be a Fallout game because it doesn't need to be a Fallout game. It would be like if Skyrim was placed in a feudal Japan setting with all reference to the past games thrown out the window. While this could still be good, it's not an Elder Scrolls game anymore.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

HitTheTargets posted:

It could go either way, really, and changing the American setting could be a mistake. But I don't think it'd be a fatal one.

I think it'd have to be done carefully. Does the official lore talk at all about the UK? I could see a US occupation happening right before the bombs fell, with military bases and forced US culture providing a lot of the tension, and it'd give them the excuse to do London and the Southeast justice. Plus playing with all the rest-of-the-UK-vs-England tension might be fun.

Very few overseas settings would work, but I think the UK would, as long as the US influence is still the overall driver.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Paciencia = my new favorite weapon, thanks rope kid :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Hawaii, Midwest, Deep South. You got 3 'untouched' locations. Well, I think Tactics lightly handled the midwest. Still, 3 very clean-slate locales.