Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
I personally hope the next game is in a location close enough to California that we get to hear a little bit about previous games. Since NV moved east, maybe the next game can go north and we'll have it set in Washington state and northern oregon. It could be full of barren pine forests, rocky coast lines, and just try and tell me the Space Needle doesn't look like a goofy Fallout set piece anyway. My only problem is that it wouldn't have the deserts that really define the setting, but unless the games just keep going east and we have Fallout: Texas, they're going to run out of desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fallout: New York City. It would be exactly like New York, except the people would be friendlier.

Also fighting super mutants in a busted-up statue of liberty would be awesome. :allears:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CommanderCoffee posted:

Hawaii, Midwest, Deep South. You got 3 'untouched' locations. Well, I think Tactics lightly handled the midwest. Still, 3 very clean-slate locales.

We've got military bases and abandoned silos all over the midwest too; not to mention a great mix of dense urban areas and open fields with scattered farmlands. rolling hills, long stretches of highway, it all makes for some great opportunities for scenic vistas and interesting story locales. Plus, that 1950's Americana feel just sort of fits out here still in the more rural areas.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

NeurosisHead posted:

We've got military bases and abandoned silos all over the midwest too; not to mention a great mix of dense urban areas and open fields with scattered farmlands. rolling hills, long stretches of highway, it all makes for some great opportunities for scenic vistas and interesting story locales. Plus, that 1950's Americana feel just sort of fits out here still in the more rural areas.

If we're talking about military bases, well, Hawaii's got them too. Pearl Harbor and whatnot. The real question is what do people want: Tropical vistas with ghouls in Hawaiian shirts, or rural vistas with silos?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

jvempire posted:

The thing is if Fallout was set in a new area with a new theme, new everything, it wouldn't be a Fallout game because it doesn't need to be a Fallout game. It would be like if Skyrim was placed in a feudal Japan setting with all reference to the past games thrown out the window. While this could still be good, it's not an Elder Scrolls game anymore.

It would totally still be a Fallout game! It just wouldn't have vaults, vault suits, deathclaws, super mutants, the BoS or any other factions, or power armor! It might still have energy weapons and ghouls and raiders I guess?

Yeah, I hate the "the next fallout should be set in ____" discussion, too. Its basically just fallout fanfiction.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Assumethisisreal posted:

I personally hope the next game is in a location close enough to California that we get to hear a little bit about previous games. Since NV moved east, maybe the next game can go north and we'll have it set in Washington state and northern oregon. It could be full of barren pine forests, rocky coast lines, and just try and tell me the Space Needle doesn't look like a goofy Fallout set piece anyway. My only problem is that it wouldn't have the deserts that really define the setting, but unless the games just keep going east and we have Fallout: Texas, they're going to run out of desert.

There's plenty of desert type areas east of the Cascade range.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I would like to see a Fallout game set in Europe. Surely they had vault-equivalents.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

CommanderCoffee posted:

If we're talking about military bases, well, Hawaii's got them too. Pearl Harbor and whatnot. The real question is what do people want: Tropical vistas with ghouls in Hawaiian shirts, or rural vistas with silos?

All I know is I want to see a nuclear warhead rise out of a farming silo.

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
How exactly does respawning in NV work? If I get a hankering to fight Deathclaws, will they respawn in the Quarry? Or are they extinct now? :(

Edit: And am I the only one having trouble with VATS since GRA came out? I'm on the 360, and about a third of the time I use VATS since I installed it, my character decides to just chillax when after I try and fire. It'll go into third person, and sometimes he'll aim down the barrel like he's thinking about firing, other times he holds the gun like he's just walking around. Meanwhile the loving Cazador is like right there on my rear end stinging me. Usually 15-20 seconds later (Also possibly when I get a broken limb. that seems to snap me out of it) I'll exit VATS without firing a shot and without spending any AP. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Assumethisisreal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 2, 2011

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The ones in Quarry Junction don't respawn, but there are some in other places that do. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They respawn in Dead Wind Cavern, and around the entrance to it

pro tip: Do Not fast travel to Dead Wind Cavern

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Holy crap, the Courier's Mile. Do not go there unless you have a high red resist and plenty of Rad-X and Radaway.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, I hate the "the next fallout should be set in ____" discussion, too. Its basically just fallout fanfiction.

What else are we supposed to discuss? Most of the talk in this thread was redundant long ago, even in the old thread. Now that shop (:() has completely closed on New Vegas it seems completely legit to speculate on the inevitable next game.

I'm hoping for a radical departure myself, assuming the team behind it is competent. I don't want them to ditch the iconic Fallout stuff or even America as a setting, but there is still an entire country to explore and populate.

The truth is I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda to integrate Fallout to Hawaii or Florida, but I'd love to see the insanity that's going on over there. The Commonwealth could be awesome too, but a straight skip to replicant style androids from the clunky Mr. Gutsies would be a hard sale.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CommanderCoffee posted:

Did I say those that were not NCR/Mojave citizens were not slaves? May have been implied, but then again, there is an advantage to keeping captured enemy in the camp and actual Legion Baby Breeders away from it.
Well, yeah, you seemed to be using the idea "they're slaves, therefore they're NCR/Mojave citizens." Which would imply that non-NCR/Mojave citizens are non-slaves.

But anyway. I don't see any reason captured NCR people wouldn't be used as Legion Baby Breeders, given that the Legion is all about forced assimilation.

Akalies posted:

The truth is I don't have a lot of confidence in Bethesda to integrate Fallout to Hawaii or Florida, but I'd love to see the insanity that's going on over there. The Commonwealth could be awesome too, but a straight skip to replicant style androids from the clunky Mr. Gutsies would be a hard sale.
Turns out the 'androids' are actually just brainwashed humans.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2011

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

It would totally still be a Fallout game! It just wouldn't have vaults, vault suits, deathclaws, super mutants, the BoS or any other factions, or power armor! It might still have energy weapons and ghouls and raiders I guess?

Hm, yes, fans speculating on where the franchise is going would definitely be based on fictive knowledge without any announcement.

It is more fun to speculate the fiction than to speculate the fact, which is that it's going to be made and it is going to probably involve everything we've had in previous iterations, regardless of how appropriate it is to have them there.

I mean, it wasn't appropriate for there to be Super Mutants on the East coast, but here we are.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hey guys, I played Fallout New Vegas and pretty much loved the game. Would getting Fallout/Fallout 2 be a good decision, or are they too dated to really be enjoyed these days? In other words, have they aged well for someone who is playing them +10 years later?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Hey guys, I played Fallout New Vegas and pretty much loved the game. Would getting Fallout/Fallout 2 be a good decision, or are they too dated to really be enjoyed these days? In other words, have they aged well for someone who is playing them +10 years later?

Did you like the original Deus Ex? If the answer is yes, then definitely. I would say that FO1 is better, but FO2 is still worth getting. If the answer is no, what kind of person are you?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Democrazy posted:

Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game. When I picked up and played both the originals, I basically swore off it forever. New Vegas is a return to form, though.

Basically, if you like good games with quality writing and humor (and can stomach isometric and slightly dated gameplay), you'll love them.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Democrazy posted:

How much can you tolerate turn based combat and really old graphics? There are mods out there that help with some resolution issues. There is also a lot less hand holding unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I couldn't play F1 and 2; they were just too plodding for me to actually play :/

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Democrazy posted:

Those are still good games but going back can be kind of rough. The combat is in comparison brutally slow. It improves as your guns get better and you can kill people faster but at the start you are more or less hitting one to two shots a turn probably without even killing the other guy and then the other enemies take their turns which with ten or more enemeis is painful to wait through. It isn't even that tactical when compared to other turn based games like jagged alliance. Its just dull. When you have good guns its much more bearable so if you do go back be prepared for a few bad hours.

Prize Chicken
Feb 21, 2007

Has anyone else ended up with two copies of ED-E as a bug feature?

I'm not sure whether it happened after Dead Money or Honest Hearts(I fast traveled from one into the other) and it was before the other two were installed. When I returned to the Dead Money BOS bunker after HH I found ED-E hung up on an nearby cliff. I thought that was weird, because I sent him back to Primm prior to Dead Money. It wouldn't bring up the companion control when I pressed E, just the dialog. I could get it to follow through the dialog.

I told it to go back to Lucky 38 and then fast traveled to Gun Runners, and it fast traveled with me but continued on to New Vegas through Freeside. I decided to watch ED-E from a distance with pride as he killed not only the Freeside punks in his way, but even took out a Securitron Mk II at the gate. I think they went hostile because he opened fire on a punk too close to the checkpoint.

Once it got to the Presidential Suite it still did not have a working companion control screen so I used the dismissal terminal and it went back to Primm. I went back to Pick ED-E up and there were now two. One had the working companion control and other the dialog only version.

Maybe there were two ED-E's all along, like a robot version of that footprints poem.

Prize Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 2, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Democrazy posted:

I'm currently playing Fallout for the first time and loving every minute, it's definitely worth a go especially since they're so cheap. It's definitely not dated, it's a little slow but the humour is top-notch.

Also: there is an "always run" setting. Only discovered it today. Makes the game so much quicker. :doh:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

Tagging Small Guns and Melee Weapons and having a high AG helps out a lot for early-game combat in FO1, and FO2 to a lesser extent.

Also, turn up the combat speed in the settings to the maximum. It doesn't actually affect the combat, just how fast the animations go.

There's a thread about FO1/2/Tactics here. Might be a good idea to add that to the OP. I don't have PMs.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
If the Skyrim engine is used for the next Fallout game then I want the setting to be the middle america "open fields, farmland, small towns", so then we can have some legion type faction with cavalry riding across the wastes. The thought of fighting a squad of cavalry with fallout weaponry just seems so ridiculously fitting to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Akalies posted:

The Commonwealth could be awesome too, but a straight skip to replicant style androids from the clunky Mr. Gutsies would be a hard sale.

Forget the realistic replicants, I want an army of Festuses (Festii?).

For information about the robot uprising, say "Silly ol' armed insurrection"!

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

jvempire posted:

If the Skyrim engine is used for the next Fallout game then I want the setting to be the middle america "open fields, farmland, small towns", so then we can have some legion type faction with cavalry riding across the wastes. The thought of fighting a squad of cavalry with fallout weaponry just seems so ridiculously fitting to me.

I want FO4 to have horses and/or motorcycles, because anything post-apocalyptic isn't complete without that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mechanical horse-cycles

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mechanical horse-cycles

Yeah, I actually kinda want this.

I've asked myself why motorcycles/mutated horses weren't available for use in FO3 and FNV. I hope they add something like this in there.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

Yeah, I actually kinda want this.

I've asked myself why motorcycles/mutated horses weren't available for use in FO3 and FNV. I hope they add something like this in there.
If you remember the horses from Oblivion, it didn't feel like you were riding anything, it was more you were gliding around. With a new engine that could be fixed.

And really there's a lot of things you could possibly ride in fallout (RADSCOPRIONS!!)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there any way to re-enable the crazy old world blues spawns after you finish the DLC?

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
Has anyone ever seen any opinions or writeups by Bethesda on Obsidian's take on the franchise? I'm guessing any public comments like that would be discouraged because it'd fuel rumor mills like mad but I'd love to know what they think about the different gameplay mechanics and plotting and so on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

DieLaughing posted:

Has anyone ever seen any opinions or writeups by Bethesda on Obsidian's take on the franchise? I'm guessing any public comments like that would be discouraged because it'd fuel rumor mills like mad but I'd love to know what they think about the different gameplay mechanics and plotting and so on.

All the official announcements show up on Bethesda's blog, but its all just kinda generic marketing talk.

Semi-related, but one of the questions asked when Skyrim was announced was if it had a branching main plot like New Vegas, and the official response was something like "we just want to focus on telling a specific story really well, since that's what we're good at." So in case you were hoping Obsidian might've actually taught them a thing or two about game development, the answer looks to be not really.

I would expect Fallout 4 to follow more closely to the 'choices' present in Fallout 3 than anything meaningful, unless they hand it off to Obsidian, which they won't. But hey, I understand New Vegas made them quite a bit of cash, maybe they'll ask Obsidian for another offshoot in six years.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Wasn't there a quote from a Bethesda dev that said something like 'Wasn't the Mojave fun - seems like there might be more to do there...'?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Rather Dashing posted:

Wasn't there a quote from a Bethesda dev that said something like 'Wasn't the Mojave fun - seems like there might be more to do there...'?

Don't toy with my heart :allears:

For anyone who's wondering about sales figures, I just saw a couple things:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/941/941189p1.html

quote:

Since its release, Fallout 3 has received widespread critical praise from several publications on top of fantastic sales. Bethesda announced in early November that the game had already shipped 4.7 million units since its October debut.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/11/8/fallout-new-vegas-rakes-24300-million-at-launch2c-2450m2b-online.aspx

quote:

The launch results of Fallout: New Vegas are in, and they're quite impressive. Bethesda Softworks, a ZeniMax Media company shipped five million units for the launch. The game was available for Microsoft Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and the PC platform through Microsoft's Games for Windows program. Furthermore, the game was available through digital distribution services such as Steam and Games for Windows: Live, with Steam presumeably carrying the bulk of digital sales.

So yeah, New Vegas did good :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

"we just want to focus on telling a specific story really well, since that's what we're good at."

This sounds like a nice way of saying "We can barely fit a specific story together without Lucas sized plot holes. So we're going to stick with that."

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Clearly what you guys need is Fallout: South America. Heck sometimes I feel we are in a post-apocalyptic setting already.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

CommanderCoffee posted:

Deep South

Well, now I know where I want the next Fallout game to take place. Possibly make it take place in the Appalachians. Get involved with all the feudin' between different families, have an abundance of moonshine, maybe meet some hillbilly squids what talk like they is Unknown Hinson. Throw some references to "The Hills Have Eyes" (preferably the 1977 version) and some jokey Petticoat Junction stuff and we're golden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout: Detroit. The twist is it has become a Utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

turboraton posted:

Clearly what you guys need is Fallout: South America. Heck sometimes I feel we are in a post-apocalyptic setting already.

A FAVELA FULL OF SUPERMUTANTS :ohdear: