Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Smelly posted:

Huh, I was skimming the miniguide that was posted, and apparently you can hold 1984 items.

So there IS a limit, even a ridiculously high one.

Big brother is keeping a watch on that illegal contraband of yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Sputnik posted:

If people are intending to click eachother's links, perhaps we should have a compiled list of all goons who want the clickthrough? We could click eachother's links once per day - that's worked well in the past to help everyone out.

This is pages 12-26 (up to Jammer Jones), if someone is willing to scour the front of the thread to compile it as well. A firefox extension such as Multi Links makes selecting everyone a snap. If this could be added to the top of the thread (maybe the second post or so??) it would be easy to help everyone daily.

Jumping in on this bandwagon. Clicking away in support of goons.

http://goo.gl/Gl9Wz

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

literallyincredible posted:

Demon's Souls had a bunch of gear (and a few spells) that were either *only* for PvP, or primarily for PvP. The Scraping Spear and Acid Cloud are one obvious, super-irritating example, but there was also stuff like the Sword of Moonlight which outside of the occasional knight (like the Valley of Defilement boss), was primarily just used for one-shotting other players when they tried to block, Firestorm was better than Fireball for PvE but impossible to get off in PvP if your opponent was any good, etc. etc.

I thought the sword of moonlight was actually pretty bad against Garl Vinland since he had super high magic resistance, which is where most of his damage came from. Its huge range and shield ignoring traits made it amazing for world 1 though. Just don't use it against the bosses since it has really long animations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the sword of moonlight was actually pretty bad against Garl Vinland since he had super high magic resistance, which is where most of his damage came from. Its huge range and shield ignoring traits made it amazing for world 1 though. Just don't use it against the bosses since it has really long animations.

LSoM comes out of my pack on my faith guy in Boletaria. It's my favorite way to fight Phalanx.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Sheep-Goats posted:

I was looking at the wiki and it looks like for weapons there's both a long spear called a pike and a mirdan hammer renamed "lucerne." Next to the hammer the wiki people wrote "You didn't think there'd be a mirdan hammer?"

Not too surprising, the Bec-de-corbin and "Lucerne hammer" are historical weapons, and the "Mirdan" part of Mirdan hammer was an in-world Demon's Souls thing. Not that Dark Souls has a Lucerne, Switzerland, but whatever. I heard they changed up the attack animations on it though, and while I'd hate it if they took away the R1 two-handed combo... it's a little warranted.

Anyway, more historical info on the weapon here.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

FisheyStix posted:

Big brother is keeping a watch on that illegal contraband of yours.

Just don't let them take away my shield :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My brother who barely even plays video games, doesn't read reviews and has probably never posted on a message board just told me he was thinking about getting Dark Souls cause it looks really cool. The dude literally just has an Xbox to play an occasional baseball game here and there, and I think this is the first time he has considered dropping 60 dollars on a game in his life. It's weird to think that everyone's little pet video game has truly hit the masses and become a triple A title.

It's really amazing when you think about it. Most games buy their way into fame but From has really loving earned it here. I think there is going to be a large group of people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, but that's beside the point.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

My brother who barely even plays video games, doesn't read reviews and has probably never posted on a message board just told me he was thinking about getting Dark Souls cause it looks really cool. The dude literally just has an Xbox to play an occasional baseball game here and there, and I think this is the first time he has considered dropping 60 dollars on a game in his life. It's weird to think that everyone's little pet video game has truly hit the masses and become a triple A title.

It's really amazing when you think about it. Most games buy their way into fame but From has really loving earned it here. I think there is going to be a large group of people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, but that's beside the point.

Honestly I feel like I should write a thank you note and mail it to them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's good to be able to say, "We were there in the start." :unsmith:

From deserves all the praise they get from this -- it's a solid loving video game that is fun. I don't play much these days and rarely buy video games but I'll make an exception for their studio from now on. I loved both Demons Souls and their ultra retro Zelda-clone (which I need to pick up, stopped playing a while back cause of that loving dragon boss).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ever played their Lost Kingdoms games for Gamecube?

They're like (Demon's Souls - 80% budget) x Pokemon Cards.

I had a lot of fun with them but, like King's Field, they're just so dated at this point I can't really play them.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Just beat what I think was a secret boss back in the asylum, the asylum demon's mummy by the looks of things. Worth a cool 20,000 souls and a great fight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

Just beat what I think was a secret boss back in the asylum, the asylum demon's mummy by the looks of things. Worth a cool 20,000 souls and a great fight.
Aw man, I had been working on that boss for hours with no success. That fireball thing it does, I can block it if I know which direction it is coming from, but I can never tell. There isn't any way to do a falling attack on it is there?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw man, I had been working on that boss for hours with no success. That fireball thing it does, I can block it if I know which direction it is coming from, but I can never tell. There isn't any way to do a falling attack on it is there?

Not that I know of, there's a tactic to the fight though, that once I got the hang of made it a lot easier. I put on some fire resistant armour so it couldn't one shot me with that fireball attack. There's a Dark Knight in a narrow hallway in the exit of the fight, so I've yet to make it out with my souls... fingers crossed

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Samurai Sanders posted:

You have to stay behind it at all times and not use the targeting system because strafing is too slow.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've also got a key for a door in the asylum that I can't find. Any ideas?

CrazedLlama
May 9, 2005

Wagh?!
I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a video game. I'm probably going to skip my five hours of classes on Tuesday. As I am typing this I just got a text saying there's going to be a midnight release available.

I think I'll be doing the same thing I did with Demon's Souls: make a mage/fighter class first (probably start as a thief this time around for the master key) and then do Berserk mode where I only use the biggest two-handed sword possible and no magic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

I've also got a key for a door in the asylum that I can't find. Any ideas?
Well, it's upstairs anyway, just wander around and you will find it.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I got Demon's Souls back before it was even announced for release in North America (so, the Asian version) and thought it was great. The new one sounds just as good, and I'm totally looking forward to picking it up in a couple days. I'll probably get it for the PS3 for familiarity's sake.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Ever played their Lost Kingdoms games for Gamecube?

They're like (Demon's Souls - 80% budget) x Pokemon Cards.

I had a lot of fun with them but, like King's Field, they're just so dated at this point I can't really play them.

I was genuinely unsure about picking this game up day 1 for $60 but you just sold me. LK2 was my favorite gamecube game by a huge margin. I can't believe I forgot A) From made it and B) how much it resembles Souls.

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Just finished clicking on all the links in the master referal list posted on the last page, and throwing mine in for good measure!

http://goo.gl/h32PF

Cheers and hip-hip in advance, mates.

PS anyone know what this stuff unlocks or even does?

edit: vvvv ooo neat-o

dudeman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dudeman posted:

Just finished clicking on all the links in the master referal list posted on the last page, and throwing mine in for good measure!

http://goo.gl/h32PF

Cheers and hip-hip in advance, mates.

PS anyone know what this stuff unlocks or even does?

Speculation is that the top five people will get twelve inch pewter statues that Namco commissioned of different Dark Souls stuff. But nobody really knows.

http://gamerant.com/dark-souls-trailer-statues-revealed-mole-106843/

Please add this to the bottom of that click queue, Mr. Click Queue guy.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2011

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Great time to have the 50% off 3 months of xbox live offer come up on the dashboard.

http://goo.gl/jZCJk add me please!

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
If i'm having trouble with a section, what do you guys recommend I do?

I'm grinding souls right now near a bonfire very safely so I can use them to:

1. Level-Up
2. Restore Humanity (once)
3. Kindle (once)
4. Buy items

No access to a blacksmith right now unfortunately.

Very early in the game

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

VanillaGorilla posted:

Or not! Here you go, bonus content from the LE of the game:

http://ce.preparetodie.com/index.php?redeem=7ba5299bd35e1145e0b03ad3bd15a47e

Thanks! Won't get the game until Thursday, going to put this soundtrack on and play Demon's Souls until then. Just got the Northern Regalia sword and lowered my character tendency to full black in order to get all the bonuses (135 + 135 physical damage and 135+135 magical damage), the Maneater and Old King Doran were easy prey in NG+. :black101:

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 2, 2011

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Sheep-Goats posted:

Speculation is that the top five people will get twelve inch pewter statues that Namco commissioned of different Dark Souls stuff. But nobody really knows.

[url]

Please add this to the bottom of that click queue, Mr. Click Queue guy.

I've made it up pretty high in that listing, but I'm afraid to play the souls minigame thing anymore in case they're doing anything for the top 20. That drat thing has some brutal swings, but it's also addictive as gently caress....sounds familiar?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Two things:

1) I got my preorder payed off, yay!

2) A friend of mine called me to say he found a retailer who broke street date (not that unusual), and claims that you can use party chat on the 360 version as long as you are playing in offline mode, which should calm down a lot of the people mad about that because they want to talk to people playing other games. He also says private chat isn't blocked during online gameplay.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Funkmaster General posted:

2) A friend of mine called me to say he found a retailer who broke street date (not that unusual), and claims that you can use party chat on the 360 version as long as you are playing in offline mode, which should calm down a lot of the people mad about that because they want to talk to people playing other games. He also says private chat isn't blocked during online gameplay.

That doesn't surprise me. Party Chat is a system level thing. The only thing I've seen devs be able to do to circumvent that is the not actually allow players in a party to be able to join certain modes/playlists.

They can't actually "block" the party chat function.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While you can chat with friends what purpose does it serve if they cannot join with you? So you can chit chat with buddies like it was vent on a non-MP game?

I guess I dont "get it".

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Some people like to just hang out in party chat and talk with their friends. So yeah.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Arrrrgh, I think I just aggroed some idiot I wasn't supposed to, after ringing the second bell there was a note on the floor pointing out a secret area, so I hit the wall and the secret area opened up revealing a bonfire and one of those guys with eggs standing in the way. So I attacked him and the fucker can talk. I was wondering why it wouldn't let me target him at first.

I tried to shut it down quickly before it could save, but no such luck. The prick is dead now. Was he important? Have I hosed something up?!

Edit: Some creepy mute spider lady on the wall reinforced my estus flask and has now turned my head into a blob! It's gone from bad to worse.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 2, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Skimmed through the 46 page mini-guide PDF that comes with the Collector's Edition. It's a few pages taken directly from the official Future Press guide, which means it's pretty detailed. Tells you how much HP things have and how many souls they give when killed along with possible drops. Stats, maps, lists, and all that good stuff.

NPC quest spoiler from the guide:
Solaire Of Astora (Knight of the Sun) has one of the most complex quest branches that lasts throughout the entire game. He can be summoned to help you out for a bunch of boss fights including the dreaded Dragon Slayer+Executioner fight. You can even get him to help you with the final boss battle if he survives that far and the right conditions are met.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leyburn posted:

Arrrrgh, I think I just aggroed some idiot I wasn't supposed to, after ringing the second bell there was a note on the floor pointing out a secret area, so I hit the wall and the secret area opened up revealing a bonfire and one of those guys with eggs standing in the way. So I attacked him and the fucker can talk. I was wondering why it wouldn't let me target him at first.

I tried to shut it down quickly before it could save, but no such luck. The prick is dead now. Was he important? Have I hosed something up?!

Edit: Some creepy mute spider lady on the wall reinforced my estus flask and has now turned my head into a blob! It's gone from bad to worse.

After your egg grows up a little bit try doing a push/kick :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This sucks I am trying to pre-order the guide from B&N and they don't even have a listing for it. Do they not do pre-orders or does there strategy guide selection just suck?

If this is true that makes me even happier I went with PS3. People playing on Xbox are literally going to get a private chat invite from every goober that joins your game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 2, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I just read up on the covenants and there's one that lets you turn into a motherfucking dragon?! And another one that eventually turns you into a lich?!

This drat game, man.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

After your egg grows up a little bit try doing a push/kick :3:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

I just read up on the covenants and there's one that lets you turn into a motherfucking dragon?! And another one that eventually turns you into a lich?!

This drat game, man.

This game just keeps surprising me. Monday is gonna be one hell of a wait.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Updated Goon Master Referral ClickList for the rest of page 26/27.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

You finally meet someone who really wants to stick with you and right away you're trying to get rid of him? Come on, be nice to your new little buddy.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Two things:

1) I got my preorder payed off, yay!

I'm torn on what version to get. Did I hear your primary attack is mapped to right bumper? That's loving awful and enough reason to go PS3 right there. On the other hand if chat is open...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Apparently, that covenant I mentioned which lets you turn into a dragon looks like this. (SPOILER IMAGE LINK)

• Locked thread