Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
It would work better as an animated movie. I get an anime vibe when reading Sanderson. There's this show called Guren Lagann that has so many similarities with Mistborn in terms of plot that it's eery, despite being nothing like Mistborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I would rather Hollywood/tv people/whomever leave it alone as well, but things like this seem inevitable these days with popular books and people looking to capitalize on that popularity. I just hope that if it's going to be done, it be done well. Lord of the Rings is my example, that I always use. I understand that due to the nature of books, some things simply have to be left out (Tom Bombadill). But despite the things that were left out, I feel like LoTR camptured the epic quest and the feel of the books. I hope that same thing happens with this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pakman posted:

I would rather Hollywood/tv people/whomever leave it alone as well, but things like this seem inevitable these days with popular books and people looking to capitalize on that popularity. I just hope that if it's going to be done, it be done well. Lord of the Rings is my example, that I always use. I understand that due to the nature of books, some things simply have to be left out (Tom Bombadill). But despite the things that were left out, I feel like LoTR camptured the epic quest and the feel of the books. I hope that same thing happens with this.

It seems to me that the fact that Sanderson appears to have some input in the scripting process is a good omen. Not that I'm expecting Lord of the Rings-level quality out of this, but assuming the movie actually gets made I don't think it'll be down to the level of Eragon bad. I'd expect something about on par with The Golden Compass, for better and for worse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The thing with a movie is that I really don't think Mistborn can be done live action, and I don't want to see it any other way because I hate anime.

There's just too much magic that involves moving people around to be done well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
They should get Nick to do Mistborn.

"The last time I watch Nickelodeon...again."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

quote:

We have an exciting announcement today. A novella I wrote—INFINITY BLADE: AWAKENING—has just been released as of this posting, and you can find it on all of the major ebook retailers. I hope you guys enjoy reading it! It's intended as a bridge story between the iPhone/iPad game INFINITY BLADE and the sequel to that game, though I did my best to write it in a way that one does not have to have played the game to understand the story. (Though you should totally play the game. It's heaps of fun.)

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1020/New-novella-INFINITY-BLADE-AWAKENING--Updates

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Came here to post this. Yet again, proof that Brandon Sanderson is, in fact, a cyborg.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Brandon Sanderson posted:

You might be asking, "Brandon, you are a big bestselling author. Why are you writing a video game adaptation?" My answer is simple: I can do it because I'm a big bestselling author.

Haha, that's a great line.

Also he apparently got some mention at the iPhone event. Anyone catch the event/reference?

subx fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 5, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Has anybody bought it yet? I haven't played the game and probably never will, but I'm curious his story is any good or just bad videogame fanfiction.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy. My head hurts. drat you Sanderson.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Cartoon Man posted:

Has anybody bought it yet? I haven't played the game and probably never will, but I'm curious his story is any good or just bad videogame fanfiction.

I bought it today and am about halfway through. It's good stuff, so far, nothing mind blowing, but a great trifle and well worth 3 bucks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

I bought it today and am about halfway through. It's good stuff, so far, nothing mind blowing, but a great trifle and well worth 3 bucks.

He probably told his wife that he would take a break for a day and spend some time with her and the kids.

And then went and wrote this.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

pakman posted:

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

Just have whomever did Crouching Tiger do it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Skellen posted:

Just have whomever did Crouching Tiger do it.

Keep in mind this is the same man who made the first Hulk movie.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm thinking specifically of the jumping and wirework and whatnot.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Anyone had any luck in grabbing Infinity Blade: Awakening from the Nook store? All the press releases claim it should be there, including Sanderson's own site, and it just... isn't.

I don't own a Kindle or any iProducts, and I want to read it because its Sanderson's work.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

shymog posted:

Anyone had any luck in grabbing Infinity Blade: Awakening from the Nook store? All the press releases claim it should be there, including Sanderson's own site, and it just... isn't.

I don't own a Kindle or any iProducts, and I want to read it because its Sanderson's work.

I've had the same issue. I assume Barnes and Noble is being slow about putting it up or something. I'm looking forward to being able to read it on my Nook.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

One of the best supers movie.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Just loving tore up the mistborn trilogy, felt hollow inside when it ended, palm slammed Way of Kings in like a week, fistpumping at the ending, and now I realy don't know what to do.

I was thinking maybe Amercrombie next.. I guess.

This guy is fantastic. I had been warned he was a little dragon-ball-z-ingy, but if he was a tad overkill on Mistborn he loving nailed it in the first Stormlight book. I can't wait for more!

How are his stand alone novels? I can't remember ever staying up all night with a book because I was too excited to stop since I was a kid. Sanderson is a legend in the making.

Umph fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 8, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Umph posted:

Just loving tore up the mistborn trilogy, felt hollow inside when it ended, palm slammed Way of Kings in like a week, fistpumping at the ending, and now I realy don't know what to do.

Wait a month and resist the urge to read the Alloy of Law preview chapters?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Umph posted:

How are his stand alone novels? I can't remember ever staying up all night with a book because I was too excited to stop since I was a kid. Sanderson is a legend in the making.

I just finished Elantris. It's very good: the writing isn't quite as polished as Way of Kings or his other later books, but it's good for his debut novel, and the story is excellent.

My only complaint about it was that because the map had pretty much no detail and the reason Aon Dor wasn't working was based on geography, you couldn't really figure out what was wrong. You could guess that it was something to do with the chasm, but without knowing what the map looked like, you couldn't predict what had to happen. Still, it's a minor complaint. I love the characters, especially Hrathen: "Nothing I do is just for show.".

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Umph posted:

This guy is fantastic. I had been warned he was a little dragon-ball-z-ingy, but if he was a tad overkill on Mistborn he loving nailed it in the first Stormlight book. I can't wait for more!

What I usually tell people is that while you shouldn't read Elantris first (because it's noticeably rougher than anything else he's published), it's worth a go after you've gotten used to his writing style. And Warbreaker is just fantastic.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I'll also mention Elantris, because I just powerhoused through Mistborn in a week at Kreeblah's recommendation, then followed up with that. The writing was noticeably rougher throughout the whole book, as was mentioned, and the POV switches become a noticeable issue with the pacing in the book. It's like, things start moving in one character's POV, then the action is brought to a screaming halt with the next two chapters. It speeds up substantially towards the middle of the book, and I'd say the it's still a decent read, despite its faults. It's definitely a world I would like to see Sanderson return to.

I still have Warbreaker and The Way of Kings to read, but I'm taking a break right now reading Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy, then back to Sanderson.

Oh, and I would immediately read the Infinity Blade novella if the drat thing would show up on the NOOK store. I'm assuming B&N is at fault for this, those bastards.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elantris is definately worth reading, mostly for Hrathen's POV. He's one of Sanderson's better charecters in all of his books.

Edit: Also, if you're going to NYC Comicon on 10/15, here is Brandon's schedule.
http://brandonsanderson.com/events/

quote:

1:00 p.m.
Signing at Premiere Collectibles booth #2617

4:00 p.m.
Signing & MISTBORN Giveaway at Tor Books booth #945

6:30 p.m.
Panel: Winter is Here: Epic Fantasy Takes the Throne, room 1A15
Brandon Sanderson, Peter V. Brett, David Chandler, Nils Johnson-Shelton, Philippa Ballantine, Rae Carson

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 8, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Umph posted:

Agreeing with the other posters on Elantris, it's pretty good. I didn't really care for Warbreaker that much, a couple of the main characters just completely flopped for me. But, if you enjoy Sanderson's ... unique ... :airquote: sense of humor :airquote:, you'll love the characters I was bored to tears by.

As for Abercrombie, I highly recommend reading everything he's ever written. He tells stories in a very different way, extremely character-driven vs. Sanderson's plot-driven style, but his characters are so alive you can't help but love each and every one of them (except maybe Ferro) no matter what kind of horrible bastards they are (and they are).

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

Kreeblah posted:

What I usually tell people is that while you shouldn't read Elantris first (because it's noticeably rougher than anything else he's published), it's worth a go after you've gotten used to his writing style. And Warbreaker is just fantastic.

I loved Warbreaker, although I would agree with wellwhoopdedoo that it has more of Sanderson's cringe-worthy 'wit' than other books of his. Still, it sometimes seems like the LEAST popular Sanderson novel amongst goons and I never really understood why. I can't wait for him to return to the world.

Everything I read about Sanderson makes me think, 'drat, what a cool guy.' Every time I check out this thread there's something else posted that blows me away with how down-to-earth yet ridiculously productive he is.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I would agree that Warbreaker is my least favorite book of his but It is still a really good book. The sequel to that book is the one I am most looking forward to though.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Just finished the Infinity Blade book and it was great. I really liked it.

The problem, and ALMOST a reason not to read it: It's a lead in to the second game, not a self contained story, or at least, not totally one. It has a good ending, which is contained in a sense, but there's a ton left hanging, things you're like gently caress WHAT HAPPENS. Instead of being able to grab the next Sanderson book, you have to play the game to continue the stories, and he didn't have anything to do with the game. So it's like a snippet of Sanderson awesome, and then we have to play some lovely game to find out how everything ends. Meh.

Still good stuff, though.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Man, I love my new Kindle. I'm going to buy all the brandon sanderson books I haven't read yet from the kindle store. This guy can't have enough of my money.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Clinton1011 posted:

I would agree that Warbreaker is my least favorite book of his but It is still a really good book. The sequel to that book is the one I am most looking forward to though.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel, the two characters I actually liked look like they'll be the stars, the two incredibly annoying characters are dead, and the two meh characters will hopefully be taking a back seat.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel, the two characters I actually liked look like they'll be the stars, the two incredibly annoying characters are dead, and the two meh characters will hopefully be taking a back seat.

Honestly, he kinda wrote himself into that problem in the first book. Not to get to spoiler-y, but he pretty much had the same problem that Hideo Kojima had in MGS2, especially regarding the Vivenna chapters. Good in theory, mildly annoying in practice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pakman posted:

Man, I love my new Kindle. I'm going to buy all the brandon sanderson books I haven't read yet from the kindle store. This guy can't have enough of my money.

warbreaker is free as a PDF on Sanderson's website

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Since we're told in Hero of Ages that those gods are composed of a mind (usually a mortal conscious), a spirit (that seems to manifest as a magic system), and a body mist and atium respectively. I'd guess from this example it'd be a fair guess that the highstorms are one of the god's bodies?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

keiran_helcyan posted:

Since we're told in Hero of Ages that those gods are composed of a mind (usually a mortal conscious), a spirit (that seems to manifest as a magic system), and a body mist and atium respectively. I'd guess from this example it'd be a fair guess that the highstorms are one of the god's bodies?

That was the impression I got during the storm, yes.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

warbreaker is free as a PDF on Sanderson's website

I tried this, but I'm definitely not a fan of how PDF shows up on the kindle. Is there something that will change the format so I don't have to zoom the page and pan around?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

That was the impression I got during the storm, yes.

That said, wouldn't the shards be pieces of the god(s) as well? I've only read WoK and the Mistborn Trilogy so far, but judging by that (the atium), I would imagine the shards would be in that vein as well. Possibly even the spren in some way.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

pakman posted:

I tried this, but I'm definitely not a fan of how PDF shows up on the kindle. Is there something that will change the format so I don't have to zoom the page and pan around?

The PRC files on this page are ebook formats and much better for the kindle (PRC = MOBI so no conversion is necessary).

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

pakman posted:

That said, wouldn't the shards be pieces of the god(s) as well? I've only read WoK and the Mistborn Trilogy so far, but judging by that (the atium), I would imagine the shards would be in that vein as well. Possibly even the spren in some way.
There's supposed to be a lot of magic systems in Stormlight. There's 10 just in the different orders of the Knights Radiant, though we've only really seen surgebinding and soulcasting so far (there was mention of "dustbringers" that seem to have some sort of fire based power in the prologue). That's why when Kaladin was asking about what the radiants were supposed to be able to do, the accounts were so confused, some of them could teleport or fly, but the powers were split according their orders so an individual knight is limited to their own powers.

It's been hinted in one of Dalinar visions that the whatever is behind the desolations are split into 10 factions as well. Then there's stuff like the old magic, sprens, the guy with a reversed shadow, lucky fish, etc.

Algid fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 10, 2011

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

just gonna leave this right here...

(it's quite good so far, had it for about a week and only getting around to reading it now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

just gonna leave this right here...

(it's quite good so far, had it for about a week and only getting around to reading it now)

Please, spoil me: Does TenSoon actually show up, or are the "Faceless Immortals" just mentioned offhand a couple times?

Yes or no will be fine, I don't want to be spoiled THAT much.