Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Kudos to QuantaStarFire for the thread title!

Gold Roger, The Pirate King, had Power, Fame, and Fortune. Before he was executed he uttered these words to the world, "You want my treasure? Search for it! I left it all in that place!" These words ushered in the Great Pirate Era, where any pirate will attempt to sail the Grand Line in search of it. 20 years later, a young boy departs from home in order to gather a crew and find One Piece, the greatest treasure of them all...

One Piece Anime Thread 4: Our Time Skip is better than your Time Skip (Jimbot)
One Piece Anime Thread 4: This Isn't The Manga Thread (Captain Invictus)
One Piece Anime Thread: Hyperbolic Time Chamber-Free since 1999 (appletonoutcast)

Welcome to the new One Piece anime thread! It's also the first anime thread to cover The New World, the second part of the One Piece story that takes place 2 years after part 1.

I haven't watched One Piece or I'm still not caught up and want to get into the second part. Could you sum up part 1?

Certainly, although you should probably watch Part 1 anyway because I am only giving a pretty "basic" overview of Part 1. There are tons of plot points/characters/locations/other things that I will not mention.

:siren::siren:ABOUT TO SPOIL PART 1:siren::siren:

So following the nice little intro up above One Piece is about Monkey D. Luffy, a 17 year boy with the power of the Rubber Rubber devil fruit; who leaves his hometown to become a pirate. He dreams up gathering a crew and conquering the Grand Line, becoming the Pirate King.

His adventures begin in East Blue, one of the four seas that surround the Grand Line. Luffy goes around and recruits 4 crew members before hitting the Grand Line: Ronoroa Zoro, three sword swordsman and First Mate; Usopp, scaredy cat Marksman; Sanji, ladies man/legs only martial artist and Cook; Nami, money hungry bitch and Navigator. They have adventures, defeating foes and making a name for themselves, Luffy even gets a starting bounty of 30 million berri. Eventually, they reach the Grand Line, where the majority of Part 1 takes place.

The Grand Line as an ocean has only been conquered by one man before: Gold Roger. The Straw Hats go on bigger, epic adventures as they traverse this dangerous ocean. Their ranks increase as well with the introduction of 4 more crew mates: Tony Tony Chopper, talking reindeer and Doctor; Nico Robin, depressing woman and Historian; Franky, manly cyborg and Shipwright; Brook, perverted gentleman skeleton and Musician. The Straw Hats' actions in the Grand Line start shocking the world: Not only did they prevent an uprising in the country of Alabasta by defeating Crocodile, a Warlord (government sanctioned pirate); but they also declared war of the World Government and successfully raided its judicial island Enies Lobby to save one of their own.

The breaking point in the series takes place right before the end of the 1st half of the Grand Line on the Shabody Archipelago. In a fit of rage, Luffy attacks a World Noble: The highest nobility in the world, with the authority of summoning a Marine Admiral. They also run into "Dark King" Rayleigh, the First Mate of Gold Roger, who takes an interest in the Straw Hats and gives each of them a piece of the Vivre card, a special piece of paper that will lead the crew to Rayleigh if something happens. An Admiral comes and with assistance of a new type of soldier utterly wipes out the Straw Hats. Before the final blow was struck, the Warlord Bartholomew Kuma appears, and using his strange Paw Paw Devil Fruit seperates the crew to places all around the world. Luffy lands on Kuja Island, a land of only amazonian women. After "conquering" the leader of the island (Warlord Boa Hancock), Luffy wants to reunite with his crew but something else comes up.

During one of their adventures, the Straw Hats' run into Luffy's brother Portegas D. Ace (not in blood we find out later), a commander in "The Strongest Pirate in the World" Whitebeards' pirate crew. Ace is pursuing a man named Blackbeard, a former crewmember of Aces' that committed the grave sin of murdering a fellow crew mate. Ace eventually confronted Blackbeard on Banaro Island, who reveals that the reason he murdered his crewmate was to take a devil fruit that he found: The Dark Dark Fruit. Using this strange fruit, Blackbeard overpowers Ace and captures him, using his bounty to be granted a Warlord from the World Government. The World Government decides to publically execute Ace at the main base of the Marines: Marineford. They do this in order to lure Whitebeard out and execute him as well. Luffy, hearing this news, rushes into the prison where Ace is being held, The Impregnable Impel Down, to bust him out. This ultimately fails, but with a gathering of both new and old enemies and allies they engineer the single greatest breakout in the world. As they escape, they encountered Blackbeard, who used his new status to break into Impel Down as well. Luffy ultimately runs past them as saving Ace is a higher priority. As they break out Whitebeard, who wields the power of the Quake Quake fruit, attacks Marineford and the War of the Best begins.

All the major powers of both the Whitebeard Pirates and the World Government collide in the battle. Luffys' group joins in, and through blood, sweat, and tears manages to free Ace from the WG's grasp. However, during the escape from Marineford Luffy (after basically running on empty for the past 20 hours) finally collapses. The Marine Admiral Akainu tries to deal the final blow on Luffy, but Ace instead takes the blow and is killed. Whitebeard in a rage separates him and the WG from everyone else so that his allies can escape. However Blackbeard, sporting new crewmembers, appears and finishes off Whitebeard. The horror is not over yet, as Blackbeard uses a secret technique to acquire Whitebeards' devil fruit to become the first person to every successfully wield two devil fruits (doing so normally kills the user). The battle finally comes to the end when Red Hair Shanks, a powerful pirate and Luffys' childhood hero, appears and allows the Whitebeard Pirates, allies, and Blackbeard to leave. Luffy, with his new friend the Warlord Jimbei , escape to Kuja Island.

Luffy goes into a fit of depression, stating that he is too weak to become the Pirate King. The story then gives us a flashback into the story of Luffy and Ace growing up, along with the third brother Sabo. Jimbei reminds Luffy that he still has his crewmembers, breaking Luffy's depression. Afterwards Rayleigh swims to Kuja Island to meet up with Luffy and decides to give him an ultimatum: Go back to Shabody now and face annihilation again, or take time off to power up and be better prepared for the New World: The second half of the Grand Line. Luffy decides to wait, and sends out a secret message to his crew that they will reunite in Shabody in two years. Rayleigh takes Luffy to a nearby dangerous island where the training begins And Part 1 Ends

Or you could watch this which sums up most of Part 1 Special Thanks to Himuro for the link. Now with 4 EXTRA MINUTES

Now why should I watch this, why shouldn't I just go ahead and read the manga?

With thanks to Oxygen Deficiency:

quote:

One Piece Anime-only Goon Review by Oxygen Deficiency
Where to begin?
Basically, whatever you thought you knew about Shounen anime before you started watching this show, prepare to have those thoughts completely obliterated. One Piece takes the Shounen genre to a place that no one thought possible. Take any other series currently running the same milage as One Piece and you'll see quite clearly that it outstrips them all in character development/design, plot progression, humour and above all, 'MOTHER OF GOD THAT WAS AWESOME' moments.
I became a die-hard One Piece anime fan a few years ago and I haven't felt the need to touch the manga, not ONCE. The anime is able to keep me waiting patiently each week because I know that it IS going to be yet another stellar episode. Even the filler is way above average for a shounen series. Getting sick of those stupid Zanpakuto stories in Bleach? You won't find any of that poo poo here.
If you've ever wanted to see a bunch of misfit crazy young pirates (and a skeleton) journey across some spectacular looking environments, beating up assholes with insane powers and sticking up a giant middle-finger to the government, then this is the series for you.

I would personally say something, but I figured I would let an anime only viewer to speak for me.

Tell me a reason why I shouldn't watch this series?

Well... this is a long series. A VERY long series. like as of this post there are 516 episodes. It doesn't help that early One Piece is just decent and not the amazing series that it will eventually become. To give yourself a good test if you will like this series watch up the end of the Arlong Park arc (I believe it's around episode 30 or so when it starts) and if you don't like it by that point, you can just stop. It gets better and better from that point, but if you don't like it then you can feel free to abandon ship. Also, as being a long running shonen series, you will run into typical problems seen in this field (weird animation, filler, etc.)

Ok, I'm convinced. Now where can I view this series

Funimation has dubbed the series up until the G8 arc. After that the sub groups kinda bounce around until the crew gets to Shabody Archipelago in which Funimation started subbing those episodes. Funimation simulcasts the series, putting a new episode up every Saturday night an hour after it's debut in Japan. You can catch the new episodes at Funi's One Piece Site

bondster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget a link to The One Piece Official site to watch all the latest episodes!

Good job on the new OP OP. Time to un-bookmark the old, and do-bookmark the new!

One Piece is definitely my favorite on-going anime series. The sense of fun, adventure, excitement, camaraderie and humor makes it great to watch even after 500+ episodes. I can't believe we'll (potentially) have another 500+ to go before Oda will wrap things up. x_x

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I'm glad to hear that the fakehats are voiced by other straw hats. I was always hoping for that! Usopp or Sanji would do a good Luffy.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Don't forget a link to The One Piece Official site to watch all the latest episodes!

Good Point!

Also its a little early but The Opening

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'm glad to hear that the fakehats are voiced by other straw hats. I was always hoping for that! Usopp or Sanji would do a good Luffy.

Oh poo poo that's just awesome on so many levels! I hope Luffy voices Fakehat Chopper.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hooray! I'm happy that you picked my suggestion. :dance:

bondster posted:

Good Point!

Oh man, I'm so pumped now. 30 minutes to go!

Liar posted:

Oh poo poo that's just awesome on so many levels! I hope Luffy voices Fakehat Chopper.

I'm hoping that Fake Luffy is voiced by Franky.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 2, 2011

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So, as someone who enjoyed the first part of this but got to about episode 94 before getting distracted and completely forgetting about it, is there a specific episode I should start back up on? Or should I just try to find the last thing I remember watching and start from there?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Naelyan posted:

So, as someone who enjoyed the first part of this but got to about episode 94 before getting distracted and completely forgetting about it, is there a specific episode I should start back up on? Or should I just try to find the last thing I remember watching and start from there?

The Drum Island arc is probably your safest bet at that point. It starts at about episode 78.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Its out

Edit: I say that, but for some reason the video won't load

bondster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 2, 2011

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So... Sanji is Fake Luffy, Chopper is Fake Nami, Franky is Fake Usopp, and Brook is Fake Franky. Interesting choices. I'm curious to see the others now. I'm guessing that Fake Robin is going to be voiced by Luffy.

Also, it's nice to finally know that it was actually Cipher Pol agents chasing Robin and not Revolutionaries like I'd originally thought.

Also, I still find it amusing that Brook was able to become a world famous musician without anyone in the World Government noticing. It makes me wonder if fights with the Marines are going to be interrupted by requests to sign autographs.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, I still find it amusing that Brook was able to become a world famous musician without anyone in the World Government noticing. It makes me wonder if fights with the Marines are going to be interrupted by requests to sign autographs.

There's not much connecting Brook to the Straw Hat crew. No one even saw him with them until Kuma came alone to slap them apart, and I doubt Kuma went back to put in some official report. And it's not as if anyone looking at his 50 year old wanted poster would easily put two and two together to figure out who he is.

I hope the Fakehats get their own drat filler saga.

managa spoiler... maybe...What happened to the flash back of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time? I thought that happened when he started training Luffy, but I never saw it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

managa spoiler... maybe...What happened to the flash back of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time? I thought that happened when he started training Luffy, but I never saw it.

I thought so too at first, but then I remembered that it comes as they're departing. You actually see Young Roger in the new opening though before he spins and transforms into Shanks.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wonder if the eyecatch change is permanent... I was also a little surprised they showed Zoro being the first to arrive. Oh well, not a big enough difference from the manga to matter, shouldn't break any of the upcoming gags anyway.

I'm really looking forward to the next couple episodes, should be a lot of fun.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Great start! Love the angle that they're having the Straw Hat VAs voicing other fake-Hats. The fact the opening spoiled the appearances was a tad disappointing, but it seems like they added filler this episode to show all the SHs. As I don't think Zoro showed up until later on.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Teek posted:

Great start! Love the angle that they're having the Straw Hat VAs voicing other fake-Hats. The fact the opening spoiled the appearances was a tad disappointing, but it seems like they added filler this episode to show all the SHs. As I don't think Zoro showed up until later on.

I love the irony that Zoro of all people is the one to get back to the bar first. Maybe Mihawk taught him some basic navigational skills.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

bondster posted:

Good Point!

This is the first opening that doesn't feel like it should've ended halfway through. I liked the last one, but this one flows a lot better.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh cool, you kept my review!

That was an awesome episode! I'm glad I didn't spoil any of the new designs for myself. Franky looks to have changed the most, but ripped Usopp was pretty surprising as well.

I guess it's a manga thing, but i'm not as attached to the Fakehats as the rest of you seem to be. I assume they'll be around for a while?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oh cool, you kept my review!

That was an awesome episode! I'm glad I didn't spoil any of the new designs for myself. Franky looks to have changed the most, but ripped Usopp was pretty surprising as well.

I guess it's a manga thing, but i'm not as attached to the Fakehats as the rest of you seem to be. I assume they'll be around for a while?

Some people did some fan art and they became a mini meme in the Manga thread, which made them more popular than they would be to an anime only person.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Franky has been the best character since he was introduced and continues being the greatest part of this story.

There's just something about a guy who can survive being hit by a train in the middle of the ocean and go on to rebuild himself into a cola-powered cyborg that wears a speedo.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Teek posted:

but it seems like they added filler this episode to show all the SHs. As I don't think Zoro showed up until later on.

Zoro was the first to show, much to his own delight as you'll see later on. But his showing up is filler because before it was just stated that he was already there.

Mundi
Sep 19, 2011

Your voice is ambrosia
Pretty satisfied with the episode, as someone who only watches the show but knew of a time skip coming soon, I was pretty near about to explode out of anticipation for it.

The Fakehats thing was pretty entertaining, just hope they don't drag it out for too long.
I just want the crew to get back together and have everything go back to the old lighthearted adventuring of way back when.

Only thing that bothered me was:The image change with Nami and Robin was basically: Less cloths, bigger tits.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mundi posted:

Only thing that bothered me was:The image change with Nami and Robin was basically: Less cloths, bigger tits.

Well, they did have Usopp comment on it. Of course they also had Robin's "One Piece" in the OP be across her tits.

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that each of their One Piece individual backgrounds had one odd background object. Most of them are kind of blah, but Franky's is hammers with one speedo and Usopp's one off item is a rubber band.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't notice that each of their One Piece individual backgrounds had one odd background object. Most of them are kind of blah, but Franky's is hammers with one speedo and Usopp's one off item is a rubber band.

These are the easter eggs / odd ones out:

Zoro - Onigiri for Zoro

Nami - Coin

Usopp - Rubber band

Sanji - Forl

Chopper - Cotton candy

Robin - Flower

Franky - Speedo

Brook - Shark-guitar

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
How much time is covered between the start of the series and the time skip? It has to be at least a year, right? Is there anything to indicate how long it actually was?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Anony Mouse posted:

How much time is covered between the start of the series and the time skip? It has to be at least a year, right? Is there anything to indicate how long it actually was?

2 years (Time Skip) + Less than a year (Presumably)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Somewhere there's a pretty precise timeline done up for the first part. If I remember the end consensus is from start to time skip was really only a few months. Like, three or four.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kingtheninja posted:

Somewhere there's a pretty precise timeline done up for the first part. If I remember the end consensus is from start to time skip was really only a few months. Like, three or four.

So basically in his first week Luffy defeated every threat in the East Blue, another week later slapped around Wapol, only to spend the next couple days defeating Baroque Works and Crocodile, and then cooled by spending a day showing Bellamy that he could throw a punch. About half a week after that he'd overthrown loving God, and finished out the week by defeating CP9. I think it probably took at least a week to build the new ship. That downtime put Luffy in a rush, so he beat Moria about three days later, and finally headed off for half a day of rest at Sabaody before taking on Kuma. I guess everything left including all of the war between Whitebeard and the Navy occured over like two or three days.

In the end all of One Piece up to the current arc was like two months.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There was four days of sailing between meeting Aokiji and getting to Water 7 and an undetermined amount of time between Thriller Bark and meeting Caimie.

However, you're right. The longest passages of time are actually in between the islands and, thus, off screen.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

My guess is that what is shown is only a few months, but that there are several months of travel time between everything. Oceans are big!

(not months between each adventure, but total)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure they were together for more than just two months. I would guess the adventures took place throughout a little under a year.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm pretty sure they were together for more than just two months. I would guess the adventures took place throughout a little under a year.

This is my guess also, although I might have to give the series a re-read and check. I'm sure there's at least a week of sailing between almost every adventure, though, unless stated otherwise by time pressure.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It has to be less than 3 years overall because the characters have only aged two years. Luffy was 17 when the show started and he is 19 after the timeskip.

Spiderguy186
Jun 10, 2010
I like their new looks a lot but I'm really going to miss a lot of their old looks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderguy186 posted:

I like their new looks a lot but I'm really going to miss a lot of their old looks.

I am assuming you are talking about Franky's hair? That was pretty disappointing for manga followers too when we first found out.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Thought it was a very great introduction to the new world, and I'm loving the new eyecatch!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Himuro posted:

Thought it was a very great introduction to the new world, and I'm loving the new eyecatch!

It's not bad...but we've had eyecatches of the individual Straw Hats for over a decade now. It feels weird to have this, though understandable given that they probably didn't want to do 9 new ones in preparation for the leadup to the New World.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's most likely temporary. If I remember back when they introduced the new eyecatches about 5 years ago, they had one for Luffy for like 5 episodes until they showed some for the rest of the crew.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Himuro posted:

It's most likely temporary. If I remember back when they introduced the new eyecatches about 5 years ago, they had one for Luffy for like 5 episodes until they showed some for the rest of the crew.

That's my bet. They'll keep this one a while, it's good for showing off the whole crew, and they'll slowly add more for individual crew members as they can.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Himuro posted:

Well, Luffy was the only Straw Hat at the time, so that makes sense. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What I was thinking is that the eyecatches will be different variations of all the Strawhats walking, with someone's "item" in the foreground. Like Zoro's swords, Nami's tangerines/pinwheel, maybe Sogeking's mask.