Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Simon Draskovic posted:

The Brienne chapters really threw me off, because for so long the books were about high-level politics, royalty, and intrigue. Then all of a sudden we're supposed to give a gently caress about the peasants? They were barely mentioned in the first three books and suddenly they're the focus of an entire POV that (as you said) is completely useless because we know she's going to fail. If Martin was a better writer, he could have worked in some O Henry-style dramatic irony (like, I dunno, having Sansa leave the Vale and try to find her mother, and inadvertently tracing Brienne's path. "Oh, a maid of three and ten with auburn hair? Some fugly hag was looking for you, she went thataway".) But as it is we're stuck with something that feels like some kind of political message, but is too vague and incohate to actually make any sense, and is completely alien to the style, tone, and themes of the rest of the series.

I've re-read the first three books several times. If I ever go back and re-read the series, I'll probably skip about two-thirds of AFFC and ADWD. I knew things had gotten bad when I found myself dreading the Tyrion chapters... "A Tyrion chapter! I wonder what kind of dumb bullshit he'll fail to talk his way out of this time?" :downs:
As has been said by myself many times before, the books are more than just high politics, royalty, and intrigue. Brienne's travels highlight that Westeros, above all, is the most important part of the story. I dunno how you came away from AFFC thinking that it was trying to tell you a political message -- all it's saying is that the common people are hosed over by the game of thrones, and you've never seen that before. It adds a huge level of depth to the story by giving ground-level perspective.

In other words, it was necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
It gives depth and adds something to the but I wouldn't say it was necessary. I think its in GoT but someone sums up the whole viewpoint of the smallfolk in a conversation. Combined with the Brotherhood Without Banners bits and Gregor literally raping the countryside I feel we already had a good view of what wad going on with the common people.

Personally I find Bran to be way more boring that Brienne though and he actually may have a role in the big picture.

Edit: doesnt brienne also go putzing around some uninhabited coastline too? That was pointless.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Assuming the show ever gets to that point they might be able to make Brienne's bullshit search seem less boring by leaving a little bit more ambiguity about where Sansa is, especially if the bulk of Brienne's searching is done during one episode, with Sansa's departure in the previous episode and "Alayne's" arrival at the eyrie the next episode, or something, and then have like the thing with the singer and what's-her-face dying happen through alayne's eyes and then Brienne gets news of it or something like that.

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine
WHAT THE gently caress MARTIN.

BRAN? RICKON? FDFUIOH DSIPOH

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hailthefish posted:

Assuming the show ever gets to that point they might be able to make Brienne's bullshit search seem less boring by leaving a little bit more ambiguity about where Sansa is, especially if the bulk of Brienne's searching is done during one episode, with Sansa's departure in the previous episode and "Alayne's" arrival at the eyrie the next episode, or something, and then have like the thing with the singer and what's-her-face dying happen through alayne's eyes and then Brienne gets news of it or something like that.

The singer is Marillion, who almost rapes Sansa, so I really really really hope he doesn't get cut, because Gurm books are all about rape. But he would be pretty hard to cut since that's who Petyr blames for Lysa's death. I still don't see how you match the timeline up to Brienne's pointless search.

You could seriously do away with that plot in a single episode then have her show up again to get super obviously not-hanged by zombie Cat. If you want a "cliffhanger" even more obviously bullshit than Jon dying, I guess. But I doubt the show will get that far.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

IRQ posted:

The singer is Marillion, who almost rapes Sansa, so I really really really hope he doesn't get cut, because Gurm books are all about rape. But he would be pretty hard to cut since that's who Petyr blames for Lysa's death. I still don't see how you match the timeline up to Brienne's pointless search.

You could seriously do away with that plot in a single episode then have her show up again to get super obviously not-hanged by zombie Cat. If you want a "cliffhanger" even more obviously bullshit than Jon dying, I guess. But I doubt the show will get that far.

As far as I can remember, Brienne's search isn't super tied in with the rest of what's going on as far as timeline.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

It's only ASOIAF that GRRM gets his rape on.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 30, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But can you honestly say that after having read ASoS, that is a meaningful/relevant catch phrase?

I mean yeah, it was so cool that it is used about a thousand times (I just made that number up) in ADwD.

Of course it's meaningful. It's a reference to homicidal-vagina-shadow-babies. I've always considered homocidal-vagina-shadow-babies to be extremely important.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
so has anyone tried the game? is it as horrible as I think it is?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Rosscifer posted:

Of course it's meaningful. It's a reference to homicidal-vagina-shadow-babies. I've always considered homocidal-vagina-shadow-babies to be extremely important.

Hell yeah bro, I have green dreams of me as Davos under the castle checking out Melisandre's shadow vagina but sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat.

IRQ I think in the show Marillion got his tongue cut out so I dunno what the gently caress they are going to do with that, probably a different singer.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Affi posted:

so has anyone tried the game? is it as horrible as I think it is?
I can see it sell very well in Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBYVlG6EA4

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Edit: doesnt brienne also go putzing around some uninhabited coastline too? That was pointless.

She visits Crackclaw Point with Ol' Dick Crabbe, which is one of my favorite parts of the book. Dick :(

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Rosscifer posted:

homocidal-vagina-shadow-babies

Singing this to the tune of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles right now.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

She visits Crackclaw Point with Ol' Dick Crabbe, which is one of my favorite parts of the book. Dick :(

Sorry :( How could I forget about a guy named Ol' Dick Crabbe?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Toplowtech posted:

I can see it sell very well in Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBYVlG6EA4

The lone comment was probably the only thing worthwhile about that video.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I can't wait to play that game. I bet it sucks more than AFFC, but less than ADWD.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raserys posted:

The lone comment was probably the only thing worthwhile about that video.

Yeah, video seemed rather bland. Definitely no Empire: Total War.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've just stumbled through the book after getting it about two weeks ago. I think I must of glazed through half of it because I really don't remember that much. I feel like sperging about it and praising bits while damning other parts, but I reckon that's already happened a million times.

Overall I enjoyed it when stuff was actually happening and when the plot was being advanced, but there was so much clutter and so much plot which felt as if it had been rewritten a million times. I mean, at this point do we really need new characters and plotlines? Dany's chapters were especially annoying because nobody ever gave two craps about Meereen. Her entire story is focused around the Dragons and they're hardly even mentioned, locked up in a dungeon like the plot, only to break free at the very end. I get that Meeereeeen was there to teach Dany a lesson but that didn't stop it from being boring.

Jon Snow's ending was just dumb. I know we need a cliffhanger but him suddenly deciding to lead a wildling army south because of a letter? It was a lame arse out of character plot device, and it didn't fit in with anything we've learnt about him from the last few books. He's obviously not dead, and that just means we aren't going to have him involved with saving the ships/wildlings or killing off Bolton.

Also, Please freaking god stop calling it 'Sex' while having characters mouth off oval office every other chapter.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 1, 2011

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Fogtripper's read-a-long update.

Dany's day after wedding;

quote:

I hate this, thought Danaerys Targaryen (because we may have forgotten her entire name by now).
How did this happen, that I am drinking and smiling with men I'd sooner flay?

I want to step into the book, grab her by the throat, smash the book (another copy mind you, because I am literally inside one already) into her fact opened to a previous chapter where she was all "PEACE, NEED PEACE, MAH CHILDREN AH SUFFERIN!"

Oh, but she has to continually ask herself "How did this happen?"
Why? Because every chapter includes her catchphrase:

quote:

If I look back, I am lost!

I would be right back into loving the book, if only a lowly peasant would catch her in the side of the face with a large rock, rendering her (more) braindead.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Your post is harder to get through than any Dany chapter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yet infinitely more entertaining.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Yet infinitely more entertaining.

I'd rather read Dany complaining, honestly.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think they're both pretty irritating.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think this thread's harder to get through than any Dany chapter.

I'd rather read The Bad Thread, honestly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

At least Fog Tripper doesn't go off onto 5 page tangents about ~~~***~DAAAAAARIO~***~~~ and his gold toof :swoon:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

At least Fog Tripper doesn't go off onto 5 page tangents about ~~~***~DAAAAAARIO~***~~~ and his gold toof :swoon:

This is true. But it is ~Daario~, so at the very least it's entertaining.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Maybe he should, ~Daario-sama~ is the coolest character that I don't remember being in the series before Dance. He is Adonis reborn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is true. But it is ~Daario~, so at the very least it's entertaining.

Only if you imagine him as Gurm's intern Ty and Gurm as Dany.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Only if you imagine him as Gurm's intern Ty and Gurm as Dany.

Not to actually give any credence or reverence towards The Bad Thread, but I would kind of want to see a picture made of this.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

bigmcgaffney posted:

Maybe he should, ~Daario-sama~ is the coolest character that I don't remember being in the series before Dance. He is Adonis reborn.

But is he of the night? No. :colbert:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

YES bread posted:

But is he of the night? No. :colbert:

Second best behind Darkstar, of course. Tied with Gay Edd. But Darkstar Dayne is the personification of the term 'arousing'.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I have a question: what the gently caress is a buttboy? Its not a gay thing is it? I took it as kind of squire to non-knights in sell-sword companies.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It's gay as gently caress, dude.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Wait Loras wasn't "praying" with Renly? :monocle:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rosscifer posted:

Wait Loras wasn't "praying" with Renly? :monocle:

welcome to the real world Neo.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

Skrotum posted:

I have a question: what the gently caress is a buttboy? Its not a gay thing is it? I took it as kind of squire to non-knights in sell-sword companies.

According to urbandictionary.com
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Butt+Boy

It's either a servile sycophantic underling (like a lickspittle)

or

a catamite

Quick, somebody look up the date of the first recorded usage of "buttboy". It feels like this word might be a bit too modern to be appropriate for use in ASOIF, but I can't prove it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The target you shoot arrows at is called a butt

So, I assume it has something to do with that.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's nothing sexual about butts.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Scrubber posted:

Quick, somebody look up the date of the first recorded usage of "buttboy". It feels like this word might be a bit too modern to be appropriate for use in ASOIF, but I can't prove it.

Quick somebody resurrect an old argument and fail at appearing clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

Maytag posted:

Quick somebody resurrect an old argument and fail at appearing clever.

I'll be the first to admit that post was not particularly clever but for the record not all of us have been around for every argument which occurred in the last 1000 or so pages of ASIOF discussion on SA.