Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

Can you post a pic of your blob head? I am having a tough time getting a mental image of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

NESguerilla posted:

Can you post a pic of your blob head? I am having a tough time getting a mental image of this.

Spoilers of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxqU9HIIp9k

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How bad is changing covenants? I've been afraid to change because I think that the members of the old one will come looking for me or something. I want to join the nice white spider lady's covenant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haha. Does it actually have any disadvantages/advantages?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It looks horrific, and I don't think I can equip headgear anymore... http://tinypic.com/r/k9aurr/7

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For those of us in the UK this is going to be a loving unbearable week.

I can't remember the last time I was genuinely hyped for a game this much.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Leyburn posted:

It looks horrific, and I don't think I can equip headgear anymore... http://tinypic.com/r/k9aurr/7

I want to go chaos for this thing so badly. Are you really not allowed to equip head gear anymore if you get it?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah it's not longer an option. tbh I'm not sure I even know what I did to deserve it. I know this thread is going nuts about covenants, but about 17 hours into the game and they've been mentioned once or twice and never once explained.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't suppose anyone in the Las Vegas, NV area has had any luck finding a street date breaker? This is turning into a miserably slow Sunday :(

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Gyoru posted:

NPC quest spoiler from the guide:
Solaire Of Astora (Knight of the Sun) has one of the most complex quest branches that lasts throughout the entire game. He can be summoned to help you out for a bunch of boss fights including the dreaded Dragon Slayer+Executioner fight. You can even get him to help you with the final boss battle if he survives that far and the right conditions are met.

So, I go into the Belfry Gargoyle fight in Body Form and right before the white doorway there is a soul sign to summon this npc, he straight trivialized the fight, like Biorr and Penetrator in Demon's Souls. He didn't die though, ported out after the kill.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pierson posted:

Hell, there's been a few EU goons that have gotten a hold this game already. :(

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

From something I read while looking to see if this game was interesting to me to want to spend $60 on (it totally is!) Your egghead might actually hatch something

edit: I just saw the picture he posted, is that the same thing as the egg head? It looks AWESOME

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

VanillaGorilla posted:

Or not! Here you go, bonus content from the LE of the game:

http://ce.preparetodie.com/index.php?redeem=7ba5299bd35e1145e0b03ad3bd15a47e

What's this suppose to be?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Revitalized posted:

What's this suppose to be?

It was a link to download the content you get with the CE, using someone else's redemption code. It doesn't work anymore, and it was borderline :filez: as it was.

You're not missing out on a lot, though. The mini-guide is barely anything and the soundtrack has all be ripped to youtube by now.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I haven't been keeping up with any streams or news for a while but does anyone know if there's an equivelent to Maiden Astraea in Dark Souls?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dear Watson posted:

From something I read while looking to see if this game was interesting to me to want to spend $60 on (it totally is!) Your egghead might actually hatch something

edit: I just saw the picture he posted, is that the same thing as the egg head? It looks AWESOME

This link was posted just a bit ago but I assume some of you didn't get to the best part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxqU9HIIp9k&feature=player_detailpage#t=169s

It's a video so there are spoilers durrrr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Pierson posted:

I feel your pain - it's doing my brain in :britain:

I might crack open Yakuza 4, seeing as it's been left untouched on my shelf since I bought it. Hopefully it'll fill that Monday to Thursday void.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Anyone in Glasgow doesn't need to wait.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Pierson posted:

I have to try my hardest not to read this thread after the 4th. :norway:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Full on D&D bitches:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hope someone tries to join and break as many covenants as possible and turn their game into a PPP (Purple Phantom Partyzone).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pierson posted:

I hope someone tries to join and break as many covenants as possible and turn their game into a PPP (Purple Phantom Partyzone).

This will probably be me. My alt-itis is legendary and spreads to every orifice it can find, be it character, class, or covenant :v:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Fffffffffffffffuck I want to play this game so bad. Only two more days!

What classes are you guys planning on playing first? I'm thinking I might try pyromancer first, but I might end up going with wanderer or knight or something. that way I won't just die as soon as a baddie runs up on me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

apophenium posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck I want to play this game so bad. Only two more days!

What classes are you guys planning on playing first? I'm thinking I might try pyromancer first, but I might end up going with wanderer or knight or something. that way I won't just die as soon as a baddie runs up on me.

I'm doing pyromancer first and am going to go after at least the Chaos Servant and Gravelord Servant covenants.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Are you able to join covenants, reap their physical benefits, and then break them for "free" phat lewtz? I know the summoning ring the cat gives you for the forest hunter covenant crumbles if you betray that one, but that particular item is more of a part of the covenant itself than a reward.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Probably thief beacuse I want a master key and the pendant.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Either Pyromancer or Warrior. The Pyro starts with fire magic which will hopefully help to take on enemies rather than a straight melee character. I can also somewhat tune him to how I want as he starts as level one while the warrior starts at level four or five.

I also find the Path of the Dragon to be the most awesome. I cannot wait to try my hand at this game and die several hundred times.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

My brother who barely even plays video games, doesn't read reviews and has probably never posted on a message board just told me he was thinking about getting Dark Souls cause it looks really cool. The dude literally just has an Xbox to play an occasional baseball game here and there, and I think this is the first time he has considered dropping 60 dollars on a game in his life. It's weird to think that everyone's little pet video game has truly hit the masses and become a triple A title.

It's really amazing when you think about it. Most games buy their way into fame but From has really loving earned it here. I think there is going to be a large group of people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, but that's beside the point.

This is why I almost want to buy the Xbox version alongside PS3. I really really want to drink those newbie tears.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Funkmaster General posted:

Are you able to join covenants, reap their physical benefits, and then break them for "free" phat lewtz? I know the summoning ring the cat gives you for the forest hunter covenant crumbles if you betray that one, but that particular item is more of a part of the covenant itself than a reward.

I hope that everything crumbles as you abandon your covenants, personally, as that will add more variety to the PvP meta (instead of basically forcing you to do covenants A B and C before you have an effective PvP character once the game is a few months old).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Probably thief beacuse I want a master key and the pendant.

This or the Bandit with a master key for some two hander action.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
If anybody cares, I'm streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/zero000

help im bad

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
^^^reported for trolling

Early game stream as a thief with multiplayer thrown in, if you're interested. http://www.twitch.tv/zero000

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I'm going to go Bandit with black firebombs to try and use that huge rear end club from the asylum demon as soon as possible. I have a feeling I'll probably start several characters before I beat the game though.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Is the master key really that useful if you have no interest in sequence breaking? e.g. There isn't any unobtainable loot if you don't have it, is there?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm going to go Bandit with black firebombs to try and use that huge rear end club from the asylum demon as soon as possible. I have a feeling I'll probably start several characters before I beat the game though.

You won't even be able to use it because it requires 46 strength.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
I was able to get my hands on a copy yesterday and so far the game exceeds my expectations--I'm having an awesome time. However I haven't progressed very far into the game and I already feel stuck. No matter where I go I encounter enemies that are far beyond my ability to defeat them. And I don't mean that as in I don't know HOW to fight them, it's more a matter of me doing pitiful damage to them while their attacks do 60% or more of my max HP..so obviously I'm overshooting my limits a bit.

To be more specific for those who also already have their hands on the game: I started as a Bandit with the Master Key, and after leaving the Asylum I explored around a bit and talked to the few NPCs in the area. I went through the Undead Burg and defeated the Taurus Demon, however now my path is blocked by a dragon who kills me instantly and a door that my Master Key won't open, so I can't go any further there. So I went to the graveyard near the Firelink Shrine and can handle the skeleton's reasonably well with the Zweihander I picked up, but they're still a bit much. The Catacombs appear short and end with a dead end--it doesn't help that the skeletons just come back to life after you've killed them, so that path appears to be out. So I went and tried the New Londo(sp?) Ruins, but the ghosts there are too strong for me and I only have one Transient Curse left, so I can't go there either without just blitzing past all the enemies. The Valley of Drakes is also far too difficult (though I snagged a few good items by running past enemies), as is the Basin at the bottom of the Undead Burg (you need the Master Key). So I'm at sort of a loss. I'm at level 17 with a pretty formidable arsenal of equipment--I even went and killed that Dark Knight in the Undead Burg without too much trouble.

If anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it. Also, since I have the game early, is it safe to go on Xbox Live or will that put me at risk for getting my account banned or something. I obtained the copy legitimately, but obviously I'm not supposed to have it till Tuesday.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I was going to go knight, but the more I think about it, the more I want to go as Deprived.

Even stats to do with what I want? Yeah.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gyoru posted:

You won't even be able to use it because it requires 46 strength.

Really? I had heard 30 somewhere. Maybe I should rethink my plan. Know how much it takes if you're 2-hand wielding it?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Pomale posted:

To be more specific for those who also already have their hands on the game: I started as a Bandit with the Master Key, and after leaving the Asylum I explored around a bit and talked to the few NPCs in the area. I went through the Undead Burg and defeated the Taurus Demon, however now my path is blocked by a dragon who kills me instantly and a door that my Master Key won't open, so I can't go any further there.

Yeah you can, half way across the bridge with the dragon you can go under it and progress to the next part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? I had heard 30 somewhere. Maybe I should rethink my plan. Know how much it takes if you're 2-hand wielding it?

31 Strength if you are 2-handing. 2-handing gives you a 50% boost to strength when it comes to item requirements.

• Locked thread