Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Synnr posted:

Animals don't get tied to biomes in 1.9 pre-2 do they? I can't find anything but cows as far as the eye can see!

I don't think so; they do tend to spawn in groups, though. What probably happened is you got like 4-5 cow spawns, which while not common is far more likely than 20 animals all spawning as cows under the old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Should I just genocide them? I'm honestly not sure if it is still just a set number of active creatures per chunk.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
If in doubt always, ALWAYS, enact a bovine genocide. Clear the buggers out and make as much leathery poo poo as you can while feasting on steak. You'll feel like a big manly god.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

It sounds like Endermen are going to be a lot harder to kill in 1.9. I hope their spawn rate gets scaled back because I'm running into these bastards every single night. It's getting infuriating because I have to avoid their stares whenever I want to go somewhere. They're like cops.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Now I need little police hats on my endermen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JohnDonovanLiver posted:

It sounds like Endermen are going to be a lot harder to kill in 1.9. I hope their spawn rate gets scaled back because I'm running into these bastards every single night. It's getting infuriating because I have to avoid their stares whenever I want to go somewhere. They're like cops.

Wear a pumpkin.

Or just get a mod that makes Ender Pearls useful, since then they become a renewable resource that literally come to you to be harvested. :3:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wear a pumpkin.

Or just get a mod that makes Ender Pearls useful, since then they become a renewable resource that literally come to you to be harvested. :3:

So that's NOT a feature?
You.. Youtube lied to me
:negative:

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I made a statue of a harvest god:

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Ominous Jazz posted:

So that's NOT a feature?
You.. Youtube lied to me
:negative:

In 1.9pre2, you can throw ender pearls to teleport you to where they land, this hurts you.

In any other version they're useless.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ender pearls are kind of useful, though. Their ability to act as thrown teleports is both stylistically in keeping with their related mobs, and adds a nifty feature with no equivalent.

e;fb

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain_duck posted:

I made a statue of a harvest god:

Is that tower on the left side curving? I have been away for too long to remember what you can do to the game.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that tower on the left side curving? I have been away for too long to remember what you can do to the game.

It's just built that way. Been using the new bricks though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

redmercer posted:

It would be okay if it were geese, because geese are assholes.

Or turkeys. When god gave assholes to all animals, He was left with a few extras. Those He named turkeys.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Are there any goons who are on the Nations at War server?

I just went over there to submit and application to join (good lord here we go), and...I just. They take themselves so seriously. Right after submitting the application someone posted and said I should "flesh out" my application.

:negative: I...want to...troll them...

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Are there any goons who are on the Nations at War server?

I just went over there to submit and application to join (good lord here we go), and...I just. They take themselves so seriously. Right after submitting the application someone posted and said I should "flesh out" my application.

:negative: I...want to...troll them...

Actually yo, I do.

Which app are you, I'll vouch for you to get in. If you are on SA, you know how to act.

Edit: To be fair, a lot of people DO take this seriously because the drama with PVP is so rich, they want to avoid immature people because then it becomes a whinefest and just headaches for all. Surprisingly enough, we're having problems with population because we're a bit too ULTRA-LUXE.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 3, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

JoeyDK87 posted:

Actually yo, I do.

Which app are you, I'll vouch.

Thank god, I was hoping some goons played.

It's Arkitektbmw. Same as my name here.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xaiter posted:

Why so there is. I need to make this.
It works fairly well... but it helps if you have a door or something behind you because sometimes the chickens magically spawn behind you.

No issue at all if you control your throwing carefully, but that's kind of a pain.

On a related note:

I didn't know how many chickens I had in there, but it was a loving lot.

Then a friend fell in and tried to break his way out. This introduced an instability into the system and chickens started dying, so I shut the whole thing down and killed the lot of them.

That's the only way I know that there's over 200 chickens in that picture.

It's a really simple thing- chickens sometimes phase through a single block if there are too many of them... so I surrounded them with a two block thick wall of glass.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Eiba posted:

It works fairly well... but it helps if you have a door or something behind you because sometimes the chickens magically spawn behind you.

No issue at all if you control your throwing carefully, but that's kind of a pain.

On a related note:

I didn't know how many chickens I had in there, but it was a loving lot.

Then a friend fell in and tried to break his way out. This introduced an instability into the system and chickens started dying, so I shut the whole thing down and killed the lot of them.

That's the only way I know that there's over 200 chickens in that picture.

It's a really simple thing- chickens sometimes phase through a single block if there are too many of them... so I surrounded them with a two block thick wall of glass.

You, sir, are a goddamned genius. They can breathe inside transparent blocks, of course!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo the nations at war rules... it's something amazing.
http://nationsatwar.org/rules/

No mob farms plus an essay on why. No automated farms of any kind because all resources must be gained through horrible grinding, not fun building!

It's PvP, but the pvp is optional and everyone's buildings are reverted if they are damaged.

They're super serious about role playing.

Man, this sounds like the opposite of Lost Shard. I'd love a middle ground server. Something with a theme people take mildly seriously and the ability to build little towns and kingdoms or what ever, but also with a real sense of danger.

Why do I want to join the server? I have both the will to troll it, and play it super seriously. Help.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 3, 2011

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Thank god, I was hoping some goons played.

It's Arkitektbmw. Same as my name here.

There. I got your back. But, like they said, it wouldn't hurt to be a little more descriptive. Being a goon is good for me, but you got to impress some pretty hardass people. Some people can't appreciate it. :ohdear:

Baronjutter posted:

:words:
Yeah, the mob farming is pretty strict, eh, some people like to grind like that.

I am defending the server. Sure it's a little strict, but get past the whole initial 'wall' and you got a pretty creative and fun server.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

JoeyDK87 posted:

There. I got your back. But, like they said, it wouldn't hurt to be a little more descriptive. Being a goon is good for me, but you got to impress some pretty hardass people. Some people can't appreciate it. :ohdear:

Yeah, the mob farming is pretty strict, eh, some people like to grind like that.

I am defending the server. Sure it's a little strict, but get past the whole initial 'wall' and you got a pretty creative and fun server.

Thanks, you're a gentleman and a scholar. I get what you mean though it seems like a steep slope to get in, which makes me :negative: but the server itself seems really awesome.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Baronjutter posted:

No mob farms plus an essay on why. No automated farms of any kind because all resources must be gained through horrible grinding, not fun building!

It's PvP, but the pvp is optional and everyone's buildings are reverted if they are damaged.

Man, this sounds like the opposite of Lost Shard. I'd love a middle ground server. Something with a theme people take mildly seriously and the ability to build little towns and kingdoms or what ever, but also with a real sense of danger.

Why do I want to join the server? I have both the will to troll it, and play it super seriously. Help.

Though honestly really only like 3-4 people are active on my server anymore, if you check out reticulated splines in pgs you might like it. Its no mods, pure vanilla, pvp and all that. There are no rules but generally we build stuff together or have little villages. We don't take things super serious, mob farming is allowed but if anyone is a poo poo heel they get a prompt boot.

Although I just realized arkitekt was the one posting about that spergy server and he used to play on mine so maybe we're doing something wrong :(

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Baronjutter posted:

Holy hell, I didn't think Minecraft could get any spergier, but there you go.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Senator Woofington posted:

Though honestly really only like 3-4 people are active on my server anymore, if you check out reticulated splines in pgs you might like it. Its no mods, pure vanilla, pvp and all that. There are no rules but generally we build stuff together or have little villages. We don't take things super serious, mob farming is allowed but if anyone is a poo poo heel they get a prompt boot.

Although I just realized arkitekt was the one posting about that spergy server and he used to play on mine so maybe we're doing something wrong :(

Hell no you're not woof. poo poo I love your server, I was just on it a minute ago to be honest.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

Holy hell, I didn't think Minecraft could get any spergier, but there you go.

The admins are super strict and the kind of people you'd expect to run something like this. Which is to say they're like 15 year olds given a taste of power on the internet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Baronjutter posted:

I liked the part about building unprotected shacks that should not be destroyed, depending on your mood.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone know a highly effective compact mob spawner design? Something we could conceal at the bottom of the world, and build quickly? wait

Build a quantum chicken stack.

Or fifty.

Cook and harvest the chicken meat. Collect the feathers. Set out to the surface with our machine gun bows and eliminate all resistance.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What's sad is that I would probably play on it if they had a faq explaining how we get build material. They seem pretty DON'T gently caress WITH THE PERFECTLY CONSTRUCTED WORLD, so does that mean we get creative mode?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Ah, talking about N@W, are we?

It's not as super serious as you might suspect. Role play is middling to low, though it does happen. Resources are found out in the world much as a normal Minecraft server -- we just don't want you stripping the big ol' troll made of netherrack for his goods. Something that's a clear monument should be left alone, while normal stuff is fine.

We're actually fairly laid back in practice; the hammer's coming down a bit harsh this week because we have all manner of 13-year-olds who can't read applying for the thing. Most of the people on the server are pretty chill, and people who get too worked up over blocks are in the minority.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
/\/\/\/\ edit: so are you willing to help fellow goons who legitimately want to play out with a vouch?

Xaiter posted:

Does anyone know a highly effective compact mob spawner design? Something we could conceal at the bottom of the world, and build quickly? wait

Build a quantum chicken stack.

Or fifty.

Cook and harvest the chicken meat. Collect the feathers. Set out to the surface with our machine gun bows and eliminate all resistance.

Yeah only they disabled drops from mobs that are killed by means other than the player physically killing them.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Baronjutter posted:

I tried even talking with them in IRC and was denied, you have to FILL OUT AN APP TO EVEN TALK IN IRC. Way to open yourself up to the public guys :thumbsup:

It's an elitist, MY BLOCKS style server that can't handle getting millions of YT hits and wondering why they have so many idiots applying. And from what I see on the server it's no different quality wise than what I've seen on Wilson's, goonimati (while it lasts) and any number of clusterfucked 4chan and reddit servers.

Cyster posted:

Ah, talking about N@W, are we?

It's not as super serious as you might suspect. Role play is middling to low, though it does happen. Resources are found out in the world much as a normal Minecraft server -- we just don't want you stripping the big ol' troll made of netherrack for his goods. Something that's a clear monument should be left alone, while normal stuff is fine.

Get block logging, and ban offenders then do a localized rollback. It works wonders and takes seconds.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Arkitektbmw posted:

Hell no you're not woof. poo poo I love your server, I was just on it a minute ago to be honest.

Its so laggy with this pre-release 2. :(

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Arkitektbmw posted:

so are you willing to help fellow goons who legitimately want to play out with a vouch?

I'll give you a nod, sure.

And sorry, Minarchist, but IRC has been remarkably stupid the past few weeks, hence the voicing thing -- the signal-to-noise ratio's been pretty terrible. We know very well why we have a metric ton of idiots applying; it's just a matter of handling said idiots, and as a result we may seem like our pants are on too tight. I apologize for my crew. The administration just had a bit of a changeover and we're still getting settled.

I wouldn't say that N@W is something exceptional, but it's a good community with an interesting premise, and some of the nations have built some pretty solid things.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Cyster posted:

I'll give you a nod, sure.

And sorry, Minarchist, but IRC has been remarkably stupid the past few weeks, hence the voicing thing -- the signal-to-noise ratio's been pretty terrible. We know very well why we have a metric ton of idiots applying; it's just a matter of handling said idiots, and as a result we may seem like our pants are on too tight. I apologize for my crew. The administration just had a bit of a changeover and we're still getting settled.

I wouldn't say that N@W is something exceptional, but it's a good community with an interesting premise, and some of the nations have built some pretty solid things.

Thanks. I honestly think it looks interesting past the initial wall. By nod did you mean a negative one? Looks like you down-voted me.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Cyster posted:

What I was seeing in IRC was a pretty tight shop. I would have commented in probably a nicer fashion but being told in semi-polite terms to "fill out paperwork or get out" is kind of a turn off.

In any case, did you guys use voxelsniper or worldedit to make the terrain work out? I've been wanting to do that kind of thing again since our previous vanilla map, but :effort: since the Oceanator tool takes flippin ages.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Arkitektbmw posted:

Thanks. I honestly think it looks interesting past the initial wall. By nod did you mean a negative one? Looks like you down-voted me.

Nah, hadn't cast my vote when you looked. You have it now, it's positive.

Minarchist posted:

In any case, did you guys use voxelsniper or worldedit to make the terrain work out?

A combination of both, as far as I understand it. It was a pretty long build process.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
/\/\/\ Thanks

Minarchist posted:

What I was seeing in IRC was a pretty tight shop. I would have commented in probably a nicer fashion but being told in semi-polite terms to "fill out paperwork or get out" is kind of a turn off.

In any case, did you guys use voxelsniper or worldedit to make the terrain work out? I've been wanting to do that kind of thing again since our previous vanilla map, but :effort: since the Oceanator tool takes flippin ages.

IS there any sort of single player voxel sniper? I want to create a floating skylands bleeding into normal terrain map with airships and what not but I can't really find anything aside from MCEdit which is sort of a pain switching between that and MC constantly.

edit: \/\/\/ :effort:

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 3, 2011

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Arkitektbmw posted:

IS there any sort of single player voxel sniper? I want to create a floating skylands bleeding into normal terrain map with airships and what not but I can't really find anything aside from MCEdit which is sort of a pain switching between that and MC constantly.

Run a server.exe, get bukkit, find plugins. You can always access your server locally with a 192.168.0.1 or whatever IP. It's technically multiplayer, but if you're the only one on it may as well be singleplayer. I did this when I made a custom map, then just uploaded the finished product to the online server for public use.

Cyster posted:

A combination of both, as far as I understand it. It was a pretty long build process.

Took me 3 weeks, and it was mostly just a big ocean.

The lag when editing large amounts of blocks was unreal. Anyone who takes the time to terraform that much of a map has my respect.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 3, 2011

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I cannot figure out how to feed animals to make them want to humpty-hump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hold wheat, right click on animal. Hearts come out of animal. Make sure you're on the right version?