Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Krad posted:

Okay, now I care about SC5 AND God Hand.

Someone remind me again why I have a PS3 when all I play are last gen games

Because you can store all your last gen games digitally on one console that also has native wireless gamepads and trophies that make you feel good when you do something.

And you can download them for cheap, sometimes MUCH cheaper than getting them physically used.

Legally.

Oh, gameshares. I'd start up a gameshare for a lot of these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Well, I didn't quite expect to wake up to this news. :v:

And yes, a gameshare would be much appreciated.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's too bad Okami isn't on that list. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope this means we'll get Okami in the future too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EC posted:

It's too bad Okami isn't on that list. :(

If God Hand made it on the list, you can almost guarantee the other clover games will show up sooner or later.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
God Hand loving owns. What a great game once you learn how it works.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Okay goons, should I jump straight to Dark Souls or is Demon Souls worth playing first? I'm leaning towards grabbing Demon Souls but not knowing much about the series I'm not sure what the deal is here. Educate me please.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Parkingtigers posted:

Okay goons, should I jump straight to Dark Souls or is Demon Souls worth playing first? I'm leaning towards grabbing Demon Souls but not knowing much about the series I'm not sure what the deal is here. Educate me please.
It's a straight-up action RPG with no bullshit, and no hand holding. The controls are precise and physical, and if you fail to use the controls to your advantage, skeletons will cave your head in with a pike. Repeatedly. It's also a game in which every single "If I did this in reality, bad thing X would probably happen" observation you'll make will actually happen in-game. You'll learn to not taunt the fire-breathing dragon by poking its nose, not try and get a closer look at that deadly arrow throwing contraption that is throwing deadly arrows at you, not experiment with whether you can survive a 20 foot steel pike being shot at you by a magical ball of goo without at least raising your shield, etc.

It's a great game - if you can get over dying in the process of figuring things out. You will lose some currency when you die that could have been paid toward upgrading yourself / your equipment, and you need to be able bridge the mental gap to realizing that said currency loss is largely irrelevant.

You'll also probably restart once, as you realize the choices you made early on weren't so great - or you'll just read a FAQ.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

TaurusOxford posted:

If God Hand made it on the list, you can almost guarantee the other clover games will show up sooner or later.

I hope this happens, because I will buy Okami every time it's released until the end of time.

I also hope that these games can also be played on the Vita, because I would kill someone just to get a portable Okami that isn't a DS sequel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Okami on a touch screen would be great.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
So according to a comment (scroll down to #3) on the Playstation Blog, these will be the original versions of the games, without any HD-ifying, or Trophies...

I was excited when I thought they were remasters, but now it just feels like they're being shady by not letting us play the original discs on the PS2 emulator they've clearly cooked up.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Parkingtigers posted:

I would say just get Demons Souls and play that. They have nothing to do with each other "Story"-wise, so that doesnt matter. But Demons Souls is a fantastic game that shouldnt be missed.

Ineffiable posted:

Because you can store all your last gen games digitally on one console that also has native wireless gamepads and trophies that make you feel good when you do something.

And you can download them for cheap, sometimes MUCH cheaper than getting them physically used.

If you are talking HD re-makes then yes. IF you are talking downloadable PS2 games, then no. Those have no trophies and are not hd versions.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ein Bear posted:

So according to a comment (scroll down to #3) on the Playstation Blog, these will be the original versions of the games, without any HD-ifying, or Trophies...

I was excited when I thought they were remasters, but now it just feels like they're being shady by not letting us play the original discs on the PS2 emulator they've clearly cooked.

Guess that means Odin Sphere will still be laggy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rirse posted:

Guess that means Odin Sphere will still be laggy.

Unless they use the EU version, which actually fixed most of the slowdown AND ran in 60hz mode, thus still making it US-compatible.

Edit: But yes, it's supremely scummy that they actually went and removed PS2 support from the console, and have apparently managed to restore it, but plan on selling it back to us on a per-game basis.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 3, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ein Bear posted:

I was excited when I thought they were remasters, but now it just feels like they're being shady by not letting us play the original discs on the PS2 emulator they've clearly cooked up.

gently caress...I would kill for a lag free Odin Sphere.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do we think this is the 10/5 announcement we were teased about with that video?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Unless they use the EU version, which actually fixed most of the slowdown AND ran in 60hz mode, thus still making it US-compatible.

Edit: But yes, it's supremely scummy that they actually went and removed PS2 support from the console, and have apparently managed to restore it, but plan on selling it back to us on a per-game basis.

On the flip side, it's a great thing because they're including many games that had limited retail releases and are very hard to find today.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Spermando posted:

On the flip side, it's a great thing because they're including many games that had limited retail releases and are very hard to find today.

That only works on the assumption that this is an either/or thing. If they've got a working software emulator, there's nothing stopping them from letting people with disc copies play via it, and then selling cheaper digital versions for those without the games, or those who want to replace physical with digital media.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

That only works on the assumption that this is an either/or thing. If they've got a working software emulator, there's nothing stopping them from letting people with disc copies play via it, and then selling cheaper digital versions for those without the games, or those who want to replace physical with digital media.

Sure there is, they want 100% of all proceeds instead of not getting any money from people who already have the game or buy a disk copy used. It may not be a customer-friendly reason, or a good one, but they really have no reason to let you play games that in general they will get no money from you playing, when the alternative is to get more money out of you by re-releasing it digitally.

Of course a more brilliant alternative would be to allow PS2 disk emulation as a PSN+ feature and/or with a monthly fee, then they get the best of both worlds.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since these are going to be the original version, can anyone with a 60 GB PS3 tell us how the games look with their "smooth and upscale" option?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dominic White posted:

"There's nothing stopping them from letting all users use Playstation+ for free."

"There's nothing stopping them from just giving away the emulated titles for free."

"There's nothing stopping developers from giving away DLC for free"

Etc.

There is a cost associated with making that emulator, as with everything else, and this is a for-profit business. This is a feature/product, so yes, they're going to charge for it - hopefully it'll just be a reasonable cost.

Rirse posted:

Since these are going to be the original version, can anyone with a 60 GB PS3 tell us how the games look with their "smooth and upscale" option?
Pretty much identical to how you remember them looking on CRT televisions.

That smooth-and-upscale really doesn't make them look noticeably better, it just makes things look better on sharper LCD/plasma big screens.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 3, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I didn't realize that Japan wasn't in on this. That's odd, since if its an apology for the downtime then they have a lot more to apologize to Japan for.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Okay, I was excited about God Hand, but how much are they going to charge for those games? Considering they aren't remakes, they shouldn't be more than $10-$15. Even $15 sounds like a lot, but then again, it is Capcom...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Krad posted:

Okay, I was excited about God Hand, but how much are they going to charge for those games? Considering they aren't remakes, they shouldn't be more than $10-$15. Even $15 sounds like a lot, but then again, it is Capcom...

Hearing the price is :10bux: in the PS3 Share thread.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Sold.

Now give us Okami, I never got to play it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dominic White posted:

You have a point but there is a very good chance that they're actually having to get each game up and running individually with specific optimizations for each game to get them running solely via software emulation. Just because a few games are going up doesn't guarantee that they have something that can run everything you know? It might be a similar situation to the Xbox 360's backwards compatability where they've only got limited titles running and they need to be worked on individually to get proper compatability.

Still, we can only wildly speculate right now but I do share the frustration that if they do have a proper solution then they should let people play their own PS2 games rather than having to rebuy them.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I had never heard of God Hand, so I went to youtube to find some gameplay footage.

I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOGyzdJXzo

If ign said it was bad, it must be good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ramsus posted:

I had never heard of God Hand, so I went to youtube to find some gameplay footage.

I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOGyzdJXzo

If ign said it was bad, it must be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAga2AjfZlg

The game could've just been this on a DVD and it would've deserved a better score than IGN gave it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Ahahaha, holy poo poo!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey guys I heard about a great way to play those games remastered in HD

Emulation on PC :smug:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stuff like this and this and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufKRjpftmI

make God Hand worth playing, if you have even the slighest love of beat-em-ups. (watch until the end - there's a poison chihuahua)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 3, 2011

revolther
May 27, 2008
So Deus Ex just forced me to download and install an update which called itself Deus Ex: Additional Content, wassup with that? I'm in Montreal and it's feeling pretty end gamey, am I missing cool free stuff they added?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If all of this is just to lead up to PS2 Classics then gently caress yeah, I've wanted PS2 Classics for ages. $10-15 for God Hand and Odin Sphere? Yes please. Gonna pick up a $50 card when I get Dark Souls tomorrow.

revolther posted:

So Deus Ex just forced me to download and install an update which called itself Deus Ex: Additional Content, wassup with that? I'm in Montreal and it's feeling pretty end gamey, am I missing cool free stuff they added?

Europe just got the pre-order DLC as regular purchase items, so I imagine America is getting those soon too. It's probably just a patch to support the purchase versions.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is great, I have a ps3 slim so I couldn't play my old ps2 games on it. Maximo Ghosts To glory, Godhand and Odin Sphere? drat my wallet is crying with joy!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ring of Red and I will be together again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I own all those games and I'm considering purchasing them again. I am a bad person.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

I own all those games and I'm considering purchasing them again. I am a bad person.

Wanting God Hand makes you a good person, no matter the circumstance.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

You enjoy that Ball Buster. Nothing about that makes you a bad person.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
So my copy of Ico/SotC is supposedly coming in the mail today. Super-excited for both, but especially Ico. It was one of the first games I bought for my PS2 back in the day, and the experience has stuck with me more than just about any other game I can remember. That cutscene at the end with the long shot of the huge castle crumbling away as that beautifully simple guitar theme plays is, I think, one of the most satisfying and iconic moments in any video game, and I'm super excited to experience it again in HIGH DEFINITION. Sure the controls can be janky, Yorda's pathfinding isn't perfect, etc., but goddamn, in terms of the emotions it evokes and the utterly engrossing environments it creates, I think it's still unparalleled.

Also, does anyone else pronounce it "EYE-KO" instead of the correct "EE-KO?" I know it's wrong but that's how I pronounced it for years until I learned it was wrong, and now I refuse to pronounce it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hirsute posted:

Also, does anyone else pronounce it "EYE-KO" instead of the correct "EE-KO?" I know it's wrong but that's how I pronounced it for years until I learned it was wrong, and now I refuse to pronounce it correctly.

Is "EYE-KO" not correct? I've been pronouncing it that way, too.

• Locked thread