Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I should add that if you're going to use a moving coil (?) cartridge like the DL-160 with the Debut III, you have to get the acrylic platter. The magnet in the cartridge will literally stick to the steel platter that the table comes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I should add that if you're going to use a moving coil (?) cartridge like the DL-160 with the Debut III, you have to get the acrylic platter. The magnet in the cartridge will literally stick to the steel platter that the table comes with.

Oh for the love of god this. An aluminium platter will be fine too.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

just got Era Extraña in the mail. Its a much more solid album than Psychic Chasms.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I dunno if it's been like this for a while, but Newbury Comics (and Amazon through NC) has the the Pavement "Brighten the Corners" 4 disc box set thing for $20.

I grabbed one last week in store at NC, there's a handful left in stock online.

http://www.amazon.com/Brighten-Corners-Nicene-Creedence-Vinyl/dp/B0026T4RS4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317059026&sr=8-3

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So does anyone know if any of these Pink Floyd vinyl reissues are analog remasters?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

So does anyone know if any of these Pink Floyd vinyl reissues are analog remasters?

They're all digital.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

They're all digital.

Lame.

leavingharvard
Apr 21, 2006

You were never supposed to touch the turntable or the record. You'd ruin it.

CPL593H posted:

Lame.

Probably worth tracking down original copies as opposed to the new remasters. Wouldn't it take more work to digitize the analog masters than keep it analog and master then?

Seems retarded.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Most likely the masters are in poor condition and doing a digital remaster is the only viable way to preserve them while remastering the sound.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leavingharvard posted:

Probably worth tracking down original copies as opposed to the new remasters. Wouldn't it take more work to digitize the analog masters than keep it analog and master then?

Seems retarded.

It's tough to get decent copies of them because all you ever find are beat to poo poo copies people dug out of their basement (this is why I have three copies of most Led Zeppelin albums). And then of course when you do find them in playable condition, people overcharge through the rear end. Also, I've heard some analog remasters that blew my loving mind. Like the (insanely overpriced) Classic Records edition of Quadrophenia.

leavingharvard
Apr 21, 2006

You were never supposed to touch the turntable or the record. You'd ruin it.

CPL593H posted:

It's tough to get decent copies of them because all you ever find are beat to poo poo copies people dug out of their basement (this is why I have three copies of most Led Zeppelin albums). And then of course when you do find them in playable condition, people overcharge through the rear end. Also, I've heard some analog remasters that blew my loving mind. Like the (insanely overpriced) Classic Records edition of Quadrophenia.

Oh that's completely why I was hoping for analog lineage on this, but you rarely get the quality of boutique labels on label remasters. Save for the Beatles, anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leavingharvard posted:

Oh that's completely why I was hoping for analog lineage on this, but you rarely get the quality of boutique labels on label remasters. Save for the Beatles, anyway.

Yeah, those Beatles remasters sounded great. I was thinking that if the new Pink Floyd ones are of similar quality I'll pick them up gradually.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BaDaBingRecords posted:

Hello friend!

NMH Records here, just emailing to let you know that we did get your order and that your box set is currently in production. We'll email you with updates as they arise. Thank you so much for ordering!

-NMH Records

:neckbeard:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:neckbeard:

:hf:

I'm so excited.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Have A Nice Life's DEATHCONSCIOUSNESS is getting reissued on vinyl. Good news for us fans who held out on buying the first pressing secondhand for the low low price of $100 on Discogs. Get it while the gettin's good, this is guaranteed to sell out fast.

If I may pimp this for a bit, this is probably the best release of the last decade that almost nobody knows about, and you really owe it to yourself to check it out if you're a fan of bands like Joy Division, Sunn O))), Xasthur, Death in June, and My Bloody Valentine. I have no idea how they get all those disparate influences to come together so well, but dear god it's loving glorious. Also comes with a 75-page booklet detailing the (probably fabricated) history of a super-obscure Medieval pseudo-Christian death cult!

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I finally got around to hearing that whole record the other day, aside from some tracks being really meandering and long it's pretty great.

e: not gonna spend 30$ for it, but it's cool that it's getting a (small) reissue anyway.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 29, 2011

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Is there a single good resource for old worldwide stuff? I want something in particular from Malaysia printed in the 70s but can't find a 320 or the LP itself from just google

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
My haul over the past 7 days :

Pulp - This Is Hardcore (Original release)
Batman - Radio Show LP (still sealed)
Times Square - Soundtrack (A great mix of punk and new wave from a movie I never want to see)
North By Northwest - Original Motion Picture Score (Simply cool)

Live Stiff Live - Comp album from this little label that signed mostly "Pub Bands".
Buddy Holly - Self explanatory
Elton John - A MINT copy of Yellow Brick Road
The Undertones - Positive Touch

The biggest score. A JVC JL-F45, great condition and in very good mechanical shape. Direct drive, whisper quiet and a repeat function. Best TT I've owned so far. I really need to pick up a better preamp for around ~$200. Suggestions?

midge fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 1, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Some how I just scored the Names' Calcutta/Postcards 7" for 2 bux! My teeny post-punk collections keeps getting better and better by the day. Also got a too far into their careers 2 Live Crew maxi with a Three 6 Mafia feature (and a KC & the sunshine band feature for some reason) which I'm surprised I've never heard

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

midge posted:

I really need to pick up a better preamp for around ~$200. Suggestions?

Pro-ject Phono Box II, they're great.

Also for people in Perth, Western Australia tomorrow is the RnR Collectors Club Record Fair. (All genres on offer though)

9AM - 3PM, at the Victoria Park Leisurelife Centre. Cnr. Kent & Gloucester St. East Vic Park.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

moss piglet posted:

Is there a single good resource for old worldwide stuff? I want something in particular from Malaysia printed in the 70s but can't find a 320 or the LP itself from just google

Doesn't exist. There's specialty dealers for specific areas/genres, but even they aren't a big resource or anything. If you've tried gemm, cdandlp, musicstack then that's about it. Maybe try Yahoo JP auctions? I know a few people who've resorted to yahoo for SE asian stuff that doesn't show up stateside/ebay.

Set up an eBay watch list entry and be prepared to wait/pony up. Or buy a plane ticket. (Do this.) I mean it's 40 year old OOP record from the other side of the world. It's rare by it very nature, so it's not going to be an easy pull.

Curious what it is, though.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

JehovahsWetness posted:

Doesn't exist. There's specialty dealers for specific areas/genres, but even they aren't a big resource or anything. If you've tried gemm, cdandlp, musicstack then that's about it. Maybe try Yahoo JP auctions? I know a few people who've resorted to yahoo for SE asian stuff that doesn't show up stateside/ebay.

Set up an eBay watch list entry and be prepared to wait/pony up. Or buy a plane ticket. (Do this.) I mean it's 40 year old OOP record from the other side of the world. It's rare by it very nature, so it's not going to be an easy pull.

Curious what it is, though.

Thanks for the info JW

Here's what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGN3QuPxUP8

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Pro-ject Phono Box II, they're great.

Thanks for the advice. I know precious little about all this stuff. I'm on a budget build here and slowly getting things together. Will this work OK with a Shure M97xE?

I can't believe just how complex analog really is when you start looking at all the different components.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yup, these play well with everything I've ever thrown at it, AT95, Stanton 500, M97, Ortofon OM5 etc... It takes moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. This thing has been sitting behind my SL-1200 for years powered on. They make a USB version, but it's function is pretty moot. An RCA to 3.5mm cable will do an ample job.

I also bought that Times Square OST today :)

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
For the past couple of years, I've been picking up vinyl copies of stuff I really liked, figuring I'd eventually pick up a turntable and should pick up stuff I really like when the opportunity presents itself.

I found a used Technics SL-1200MK2 on Amazon in "very good" condition for $350, and submitted the order this afternoon.

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s for a while, and really like them. I'd be happy enough just using those headphones instead of speakers for now, but I'd like the ability to use both.

Other than knowing that I have a pair of headphones, a turntable and a bunch of records I'd like to listen to, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

What else am I going to need? The first page of this thread makes me think I'll need a cartridge, but other than the few models listed there, I don't really know what to look for. Can I reasonably assume that those cartridges will fit with the SL1200?

The first page also says I'll need a pre-amp, and that generally a $30 unit from Amazon would be okay. Will I need to purchase a unit that's compatible with the turntable I have, and that offers the 1/8" audio jack that my headphones use?

I hope my questions aren't too dumb, I just don't know what I'm doing :blush:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

juggalol posted:

For the past couple of years, I've been picking up vinyl copies of stuff I really liked, figuring I'd eventually pick up a turntable and should pick up stuff I really like when the opportunity presents itself.

I found a used Technics SL-1200MK2 on Amazon in "very good" condition for $350, and submitted the order this afternoon.

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s for a while, and really like them. I'd be happy enough just using those headphones instead of speakers for now, but I'd like the ability to use both.

Other than knowing that I have a pair of headphones, a turntable and a bunch of records I'd like to listen to, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

What else am I going to need? The first page of this thread makes me think I'll need a cartridge, but other than the few models listed there, I don't really know what to look for. Can I reasonably assume that those cartridges will fit with the SL1200?

The first page also says I'll need a pre-amp, and that generally a $30 unit from Amazon would be okay. Will I need to purchase a unit that's compatible with the turntable I have, and that offers the 1/8" audio jack that my headphones use?

I hope my questions aren't too dumb, I just don't know what I'm doing :blush:

You might be able to keep whatever cart you already have, do a bit of research and see if it's any good. If it is, just buy a new stylus. Although if you have a DJ cart on there, I'd recommend replacing it. DJ carts often use heavy tracking force and this can wear away your records.

Unless you already have something connect the turntable to, you're going to need a stereo receiver. Having the receiver also eliminates the need for a preamp. I don't know a whole ton about receivers, I just happened to buy one that has a good brand reputation/product reviews. There are also differing opinions on what makes a good receiver. Some people here prefer vintage models. In any case you should consider buying used because you will save money(although buying used is a given if you should go the vintage route). Until someone more knowledgable comes along the best advice I can tell you is to pick something with peak wattage that matches whatever speakers you plan on buying. This gets tricky with old receivers, because I'm told the wattage was measured differently way back when (the 70s).

And don't buy Bose speakers. They're the least bang for your buck speakers out there. They have a great marketing team, though. Good choice on the 1200.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Unless you already have something connect the turntable to, you're going to need a stereo receiver. Having the receiver also eliminates the need for a preamp.

That is not true. What you need is
1) record player
2) phono pre-amplifier (with RIAA equalizer)
3) amplifier (I assume this is what many people call a receiver)

Now the thing with number two there is that it can be built into the record player (there isn't one in the SL-1200 Mark II), a separate box, or built into the amplifier. Whether or not the amplifier has a built-in phono pre-amp greatly depends on it's age (and price). If an amplifier has a phono input at the back, it has a phono pre-amp (with RIAA equalizer). If it doesn't, you can buy a separate phono pre-amplifier to go between the player and the amplifier. It will cost 20-2000 monies, but more expensive is usually not any better. If you get a cheap one and it hums, buzzes, or distorts the sound, it's defective (most likely a grounding issue or a bad solder) and you should return it.

A separate phono pre-amp will put out a regular line-level signal which will allow you to connect it to basically anything that has a line-in connector - including your computer's sound input with the right cable.

I haven't seen a phono pre-amp with a headphone jack but that's not to say they don't exist. If they don't, there are probably cheap headphone amplifiers you can get.

All the components are usually connected with regular RCA stereo cables. The record player will also have a ground wire which should be attached to the grounding screw on the phono pre-amp or the amp (it's usually right next to the phono input).

EDIT: Also, if you need a new cart, just get an Audio Technica AT95e. It's cheap (should be around 20-30 monies), readily available, and works really well with the SL-1200 Mark II. You can think about getting something pricier when you've got everything else sorted out - if you feel like it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 3, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I personally wouldn't recommend getting too wrapped up in what receiver/amplifier or even cartridge you buy. It absolutely will affect the sound that you get in the end, but both are such wide-open categories with so few absolutes because of how subjective sound quality is (especially with receivers since cartridges generally have well-notated frequency response ranges etc.) that I would recommend getting what you can and slowly upgrading from there. Those two, along with your speakers, will all have an effect on the sound that comes out and there's no definitive way to say that what you get in the end will be the "best" sound.

So just get yourself what you need to get your recordings making racket, guess at where to go from there if you even feel that you need to

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

stuff

Yeah I glossed over the fact that he should make sure the receiver has a "phono" input. Assuming that whatever he purchases does have this, a pre-amp will not be necessary.

Actually the best advice I can give is to piece together whatever you can afford for the moment and if you decide you have a taste for this, gradually update your system as your budget allows. That's certainly what I did.

h3xis
Dec 26, 2008
Picked this 'ol thing up for a decent price.

I'm not sure if all of these contain this, but this has the Warp catalog number and mastering engineer's name hand-etched in the inside.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Most if not all records have something etched around the label. I always thought it was so it can be identified by cat number if the label is destroyed.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Most if not all records have something etched around the label. I always thought it was so it can be identified by cat number if the label is destroyed.

Matrix numbers are normally used to refer to filing/storage/whatever of the pressing plant to keep track of stampers/mothers, since cat numbers are normally determined by the record label and generally aren't helpful to the pressing plant. Label info/engineer stuff can get engraved on the lacquer before a stamper is made, though.

(Some plants have helpful matrix systems, like Dixie in Nashville (RIP) started all their matrix numbers with the year so it's easy to date poo poo from there.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

moss piglet posted:

Here's what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGN3QuPxUP8

...and now I'm looking for it, too. See you in the ring, chump.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I've got a question. Why the hell do some of my 2-record albums have sides 1 and 4 on one record, and sides 2 and 3 on the other? What kind of sense does that make? Why the hell do I need to switch records twice instead of just once? :argh:

(I'm not actually that angry about it. It's just a minor irritation, but I am curious about it.)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

...and now I'm looking for it, too. See you in the ring, chump.
hahaha I was kind of thinking the same but that's not what I need right now

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Back_From_Termina posted:

(I'm not actually that angry about it. It's just a minor irritation, but I am curious about it.)

It's for the period when stacking/changer players were the norm. Disc 1/4 on the bottom, disc 2/3 on the top. Bottom disc drops, plays, top disc drops, plays. Then you'd just flip the whole stack over and side 3 would be the bottom disc. So you'd hear all 4 sides and only have to flip the records once.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Back_From_Termina posted:

I've got a question. Why the hell do some of my 2-record albums have sides 1 and 4 on one record, and sides 2 and 3 on the other? What kind of sense does that make? Why the hell do I need to switch records twice instead of just once? :argh:

How else are you going to play them continuously on your two record players?

Also, do people really care about track order?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

How else are you going to play them continuously on your two record players?

Also, do people really care about track order?

I do, especially if it's a concept album. But even if it's not, most albums seem to have a certain flow to them that seems to work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I do, especially if it's a concept album. But even if it's not, most albums seem to have a certain flow to them that seems to work.

Probably depends a lot on the kind of music one listens to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Probably depends a lot on the kind of music one listens to.

You're probably right. I honestly never really considered this because It's never occurred to me to listen to an album out of order.