Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rasamune posted:

What was her deal, anyway? Was she a demon? A human that got turned into a crow? A talking crow who existed even before the cataclysm?

Whatever. I just know she loved bling and didn't try to kill me or trick me. That made her better than every other character in Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Whatever. I just know she loved bling and didn't try to kill me or trick me. That made her better than every other character in Demon's Souls.

Excuse me she was tied with Yuria for best character :colbert:. I didn't do the Mephistopheles quests forever because I felt bad killing Yuria ;-;.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Edge review was probably better written than the others so far. It didn't spend nearly as much time lingering on 'THIS GAME IS SOOOO HARD YOU WILL DIE THOUSANDS OF TIMES' and focused more on the fact that it's a beautiful, detailed, coherent world to explore.

Dark Souls - the worlds first action/horror/tourism simulator.

I like the focus on 'You know that you shouldn't do that, but you know you will' there, too, with the black knight anecdote.

MMania
May 7, 2008

Smelly posted:

I'd put warning messages about Sparkly down and everything.

This game needs Sparkly back. I just want to give her Sparkly Twinklys. :3:

Sparkly is in and she will give you amazing rewards for your Twinklys.

This review is awesome:

next-gen review posted:

...most of the game jettisons traditional musical accompaniment entirely. The metallic clang of a sword against a shield provides Dark Souls’ cymbal crash; the breeze through tree branches in Darkroot Garden, its woodwinds; the gamepad rumble of a giant’s footsteps, its bass drum.

And despite one of my coworkers being out this week I managed to get Wed off this week. gently caress yeah!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rasamune posted:

What was her deal, anyway? Was she a demon? A human that got turned into a crow? A talking crow who existed even before the cataclysm?

I think there's an entire race of birds like her that have the second small set of wings for "hands" and so on.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I liked most of the characters in demon's souls. The repeating voice clips somehow stayed endearing "so the world might be mended." Well except for stupid disappearing Ostrava who always gets stabbed. I never did the assassin quest.

Man I hope Amazon ships the pre order via ontrac. I dunno who ontrac is but they always show up on schedule and before 9am.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

MMania posted:

Sparkly is in and she will give you amazing rewards for your Twinklys.

This review is awesome:

And despite one of my coworkers being out this week I managed to get Wed off this week. gently caress yeah!

You've made my day, the wait is going to be even harder now.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I won't be starting until tomorrow and I hate this game already for making me want it so enragitatingly. I think I might get it from Gamestop in the morning if it isn't raining and return my Amazon preorder when it comes later.
Has anyone seen the guide yet? Is it worth it?

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I must stress again that Future Press are no Bradygames or Prima. They seem to really go all in with their guides. There's not that much info out there as to the content of the DS guide, but I'd bet dollars to dog biscuits that it's going to be amazing.

Here's the amazon review page of their 400+ page Bayonetta guide to give you an idea of the detail they go into in their guides. http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Official-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930039

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

It's almost 400 pages long. Also it's by the folks who did the Bayonetta guide which was awesome.

I almost never get guides but this one was a must-buy for me.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Just started up my stream again.

http://www.twitch.tv/zero000

gonna die~

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

I won't be starting until tomorrow and I hate this game already for making me want it so enragitatingly. I think I might get it from Gamestop in the morning if it isn't raining and return my Amazon preorder when it comes later.

http://i.imgur.com/HHIL4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tDCOt.jpg

Some preview scans from the Future Press facebook page. They were suppose to release another scan if they got enough likes, but it's like a day before the release of Dark Souls so I don't even know if it matters anymore to them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WHAT THE gently caress CANADA! God I hate this country so much when it comes to ordering things.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Revitalized posted:

http://i.imgur.com/HHIL4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tDCOt.jpg

Some preview scans from the Future Press facebook page

That map is really cool considering there's no mini-map for them them to draw off of in the game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

WHAT THE gently caress CANADA! God I hate this country so much when it comes to ordering things.

poo poo sucks bro :(

Did you have release date shipping or what?

Wizard Whateley posted:

That map is really cool considering there's no mini-map for them them to draw off of in the game.

Wow that just occurred to me. Impressive.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Wizard Whateley posted:

Here's the amazon review page of their 400+ page Bayonetta guide to give you an idea of the detail they go into in their guides. http://www.amazon.com/Bayonetta-Official-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930039

That's going for $350 new now, drat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We don't have that option up here, if they don't ship it out tomorrow I am going to go pick it up at a store and just cancel the above. CE be damned.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Vintersorg posted:

I sort of miss the UK because I'd get games at 10am on the release day. Play.com hooray!

I refuse to give money to gamestop so it's amazon for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mine doesn't even have a Delivery estimate yet. :ohdear:

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

YorexTheMad posted:

That's going for $350 new now, drat.

Holy poo poo. That's just bananas! Still, you can pry mine from my cold, dead fingers. No idea what accounts for the crazy secondary market for a guide that was published not that long ago.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
How do you get to the skeleton blacksmith? I can hear him working away behind a wall.

If Demon's Souls was harsh but fair, then Dark Souls is harsh.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 3, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Does the CE even have anything worthwhile? I don't care about the box the game comes in.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

wait so magic spells are items and if you don't have them equipped you can't use them? That's so terrible. I need a shield and dagger so that's two spells I can have readied? what is the point of a catalyst then?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Krinkle posted:

wait so magic spells are items and if you don't have them equipped you can't use them? That's so terrible. I need a shield and dagger so that's two spells I can have readied? what is the point of a catalyst then?

No, magic works the same as Demon's Souls but with set number of uses instead of a mana bar.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Leyburn posted:

No, magic works the same as Demon's Souls but with set number of uses instead of a mana bar.

in this stream I'm watching right now he has a flaming hand spell in his items and equipped it. and it says there are 7 charges left.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Krinkle posted:

in this stream I'm watching right now he has a flaming hand spell in his items and equipped it. and it says there are 7 charges left.

That's a glove he has equipped, not a spell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Krinkle posted:

The firey hand is the pryomancy spell weapon; the pryomancy version of catalysts and talismans.

tn
Aug 12, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Sup fellow Canadian goon.

I'm on the same boat as you. I did contact Amazon.ca regarding this a couple of days ago and here is their response:

quote:

I have investigated your order, and it appears that the estimated shipment and delivery dates listed on your order confirmation e-mail are incorrect. I apologize for any concern these erroneous dates may have caused.

We expect to ship your order by October 04, 2011. Once this item has been released and we receive copies, we will be able to ship it to you. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay of several weeks between the release and distribution of a new publication.

We will e-mail you when your order ships. If you do not receive a shipment confirmation by October 05, 2011, please write back to us by visiting:

I don't think we'll get the game for October 4th :smith: but I'm assuming we'll be playing it by the 6th the latest :unsmith:...

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004
I primarily played with the Royal in Demon Souls and used the gently caress out of his/her initial blasting spell.

It sounds like cast is EXTREMELY limited. Should I be an archer instead, so I can buy bales of arrows and play my ranged game or what?

How limited is casting?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm not entirely sure, as I've only bought two spells and I only use one of them and only in specific circumstances. I have only come across one way of increasing the number of casts you have, and that is by using a ring that halves your health but doubles your casts.

However, there are loads of spells so you should be able to equip a ton of spells at a time if you pump your souls into Intelligence. I've not tried it though, so I couldn't say for sure.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Does the CE even have anything worthwhile? I don't care about the box the game comes in.

It also comes with and art-book and some codes for digital stuff. So whether or not it's worthwhile depends on whether you care about any of that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CyanideRush posted:

I primarily played with the Royal in Demon Souls and used the gently caress out of his/her initial blasting spell.

It sounds like cast is EXTREMELY limited. Should I be an archer instead, so I can buy bales of arrows and play my ranged game or what?

How limited is casting?

Each spell has a certain number of charges, like a consumable item. When it runs out, you cannot cast it anymore. However, you can carry multiple copies of the same spell, and the spells fully recharge at bonfires, which are typically speaking much closer to each other than the length of a stage in Demon's, but far enough away from each other that you aren't tripping all over them or anything.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

CyanideRush posted:

How limited is casting?

I think you get like 30 casts of the basic soul arrow per memory slot. Which seems like plenty!
Pyromancy spells seem much more limited.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So are the trophies for collecting all rings/weapons/spells back in?

I wanna know how easy this one will be to Plat.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

This is one instance where you should not blame Canada. I'm not there and mine hasn't shipped either.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Smelly posted:

So are the trophies for collecting all rings/weapons/spells back in?

I wanna know how easy this one will be to Plat.

There's one for collecting all the secret weapons, and then for individual weapon types there are only ones for getting the "best" (highest upgraded?) weapon with certain properties. There are, however, some for collecting every spell in certain categories (all pyromancies, all miracles, etc).

Full list here.

The trophies and achievements are the same (including an achievement that is an analog to the platinum trophy).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Arrrrgh my campus' mail has a PO box so I'm unable to do anything but standard shipping, and that means I probably won't get this until next week at the earliest :arghfist::qq::arghfist: #firstworldproblems

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

a foolish pianist posted:

The CE was a free upgrade, if that gives you any hints. (No, there's nothing really worthwhile included.)

quote:

Holy poo poo. That's just bananas! Still, you can pry mine from my cold, dead fingers. No idea what accounts for the crazy secondary market for a guide that was published not that long ago.

Video game collectors will pay that much (well, maybe not that much), so that's what people sell it for. Even lovely Brady and Prima guides can sometimes fetch three or four times their MSRP once they go out of print.

quote:

This is one instance where you should not blame Canada. I'm not there and mine hasn't shipped either.

The hand-wringing over shipping in this thread is getting absurd. If you paid for release-date delivery, Amazon will send you a shipping confirmation sometime this evening, perhaps even close to midnight. There are these wonderful things called airplanes that can get poo poo from one side of the country to the other pretty fast, and chances are your game doesn't need to travel that far since Amazon has distribution centers all over the country!

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 3, 2011

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Just a Souls noob question from someone who relied far too much on the wiki in my first playthrough of the original. Are the damage bonuses from weapons that are based on stats communicated by the S, A, B etc. grade on the stat screen? Is it the same in Dark Souls? I just want to make sure I completely understand how this works before I jump into this one blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does anybody else have a Dark Souls: Collector's Edition order from Amazon's guaranteed release day delivery service that's not even shipped yet?

Because apparently my order hasn't been shipped yet either.

edit: just checked... everything's cool. Apparently emails aren't supposed to go out about this order until tomorrow. Huh.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 3, 2011

• Locked thread