Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

netmazk posted:

I didn't see Allegaeon mentioned in this thread. That makes me sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtbyY3ke16I

The blank face the drummer has in the very beginning sums up the entire song pretty well.

To me the melodies and the boring vocals just really clashed badly together. They may want to look into that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

Turk February posted:

The blank face the drummer has in the very beginning sums up the entire song pretty well.

To me the melodies and the boring vocals just really clashed badly together. They may want to look into that problem.

I'd say biomech isn't their best song, but I think I really just like them because Ezra is hilarious and Greg is a really nice guy (actually they're all pretty good dudes). He also plays in my guitar instructor's band, and can rip up some classical guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP4k1S1zjYQ&feature=related

It's weird to think of them as anything but "that band I saw play in all sorts of shithole bars", haha.

22 Eargesplitten: I think you're thinking of this other CO metal band that starts with an A, has a chick who plays synth, does face paint, and has way more financial backing than they do talent. The name escapes me, but they went on tour with a bunch of big name bands and they are atrocious. It's like, Arcamambumburmngmbn or something.

Saikonate fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 30, 2011

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Is that the one with the extended keyboard intro? Because I thought they were either about to cover Pink Floyd or Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner".

It's not a bad album, but the lyrics are a fair bit weaker than everything before Blood Mountain. And I've seen Mastodon live enough times to know that their live vocals on this album are going to be.... probably not so good. Especially if Brent is "sick" again.

Yeah, whenever I hear that I'm all "It's the THX sound, time to watch Star Wars!"

The lyrics are pretty bad on that song. They're never really stellar throughout the album but I don't really care since they went back to writing good riffs again. The press around this album, the lack of a concept, the song titles, everything about this album just kind of says "eh, we made an album, here it is". Not that I mind since it's actually pretty good, but leading up to Crack the Skye all I heard was OMG MASTODON NEW ALBUM BEST THING ON EARTH SO PROG AND CRAZY CONCEPT PLAY THE WHOLE THING LIVE ALBUM OF THE CENTURYYYYYYYYYY whereas The Hunter I can't think of much hubbub.

Content: I'm going to a wedding so I'm going to miss Skeletonwitch when they come through :( Really sucks because they were playing with local Neurosis-worshipping badasses Wrath and Ruin, who just dropped an album. Check 'em out if you're into that sort of thing.
http://www.facebook.com/WrathAndRuin

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And what the hell is sumeriancore supposed to be?

Sumerian Records is a label that includes bands like After the Burial, Veil of Maya, Periphery, and Born of Osiris. Basically a lot of stuff that would belong in the djent thread.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

plester1 posted:

Sumerian Records is a label that includes bands like After the Burial, Veil of Maya, Periphery, and Born of Osiris. Basically a lot of stuff that would belong in the djent thread.

Years ago my old band toured with a band called Reflux, and I remember a number of times sitting with a permanent :stare: face while their singer went on long rants to me about various conspiracies and how he literally thinks that aliens came and created humanity and how we're all made out of stardust and stuff.

...turns out that guy is Ash Avildsen, the guy who runs Sumerian Records. He's crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Coincidentally, their guitar was Tosin Abasi, who's now the wonderchild behind Animals As Leaders, and is substantially less crazy. Small world.

edit-- This is one of the books I remember him recommending to me: Welp.

quote:

The author, former U.S. Naval Intelligence Briefing Team Member, reveals information kept secret by our government since the 1940s. UFOs, the J.F.K.. assassination, the Secret Government, the war on drugs and more by the world's leading expert on UFOs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saikonate posted:

22 Eargesplitten: I think you're thinking of this other CO metal band that starts with an A, has a chick who plays synth, does face paint, and has way more financial backing than they do talent. The name escapes me, but they went on tour with a bunch of big name bands and they are atrocious. It's like, Arcamambumburmngmbn or something.
Arcanium, that's what I was thinking of. Wow, I have had those mixed up for a while. I'd definitely rather listen to Allegaeon than Arcanium. But if I'm listening to CO metal, I'd rather listen to Cobalt, or even Drown the Sun (remember them?)

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I was hesitant to post this here, but then I remembered that this particular punk band is hard enough for the metalheads.

Sick of It All has packed 20 re-recorded tunes into an album called Nonstop, out Nov. 1st. Released "Built To Last" a few days ago. I can't wait to be aurally dropkicked in the face by "Scratch the Surface" and "Locomotive".

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCFuP3rM2w

Here's some nerdy metal cover of Skyrim featuring Charlie Sheen

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Arcanium, that's what I was thinking of. Wow, I have had those mixed up for a while. I'd definitely rather listen to Allegaeon than Arcanium. But if I'm listening to CO metal, I'd rather listen to Cobalt, or even Drown the Sun (remember them?)

If you're going to listen to metal from Colorado, you cannot discount Execration.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Years ago my old band toured with a band called Reflux, and I remember a number of times sitting with a permanent :stare: face while their singer went on long rants to me about various conspiracies and how he literally thinks that aliens came and created humanity and how we're all made out of stardust and stuff.

...turns out that guy is Ash Avildsen, the guy who runs Sumerian Records. He's crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Coincidentally, their guitar was Tosin Abasi, who's now the wonderchild behind Animals As Leaders, and is substantially less crazy. Small world.

edit-- This is one of the books I remember him recommending to me: Welp.

What is it with djent dudes and people who think stuff like this? My drummer's way into any overproduced same-y bullshit he finds online and he'd agree with all of this and more.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Turk February posted:

If you're going to listen to metal from Colorado, you cannot discount Execration.
It's never too late to continue the Satan's Host blowjob festival

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
In other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSODmImPpM

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 1, 2011

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Wow the new Skeletonwitch album loving rules.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just saw Blind Guardian in Melbourne. They were loving awesome.

I am currently trying to figure a way into Valhalla. WHO WANTS TO COME WITH ME?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Defiant Sally posted:

Wow the new Skeletonwitch album loving rules.

It's solid start to finish, they have made 3 entirely consistent albums, one of my new favorites.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Early heads-up for Londoners: Agalloch are playing the Underworld on 11th April next year. It's going to sell out (if last time is anything to go by) so get your tickets soon. It's their only UK date, too :(
http://www.last.fm/event/2071749+Agalloch+at+The+Underworld+on+11+April+2012

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Hammer Floyd posted:

I am currently trying to figure a way into Valhalla. WHO WANTS TO COME WITH ME?!

They absolutely destroyed in Sydney, too, in spite of the fact that Hansi looks way too much like a maths teacher, or your best mate's dad playing at being metal.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I need advice on doing corpse paint. At stores I see grease makeup and cream makeup and I'm not sure what's best. I've read about more professional stuff like Kryolan and that is cream (Behemoth uses Kryolan Supracolor apparently). I've looked at guides online, but they don't really talk about the materials to use. Any and all advice on other materials is welcome too!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno if you people have noticed, but there seems to be a rather big boom of new bands emerging everywhere to play really drat old-school sounding metal. A boom to the extent that I have seen it called NWOTHM, for "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal". And I don't mean old-school as in "mid-tempo so it kinda sorta sounds like 80s hard rock", I mean real bloody denim-vest-and-spiked-leather-bracers-in-your-face sound.

And while I've discovered quite a few good new bands lately thanks to this phenomenon, at the moment there's one that stands head and shoulders above the rest:

White Wizzard. God's bleeding arse this is some fantastic stuff. I mean, pretty much the only way this could be more loving METAL would be to add a gratuitous nonsensical umlaut to the name and make it White Wizzärd.

So excuse me, I'll be over there, sharpening my sword and punching holes in the air. ->

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nordick posted:

I dunno if you people have noticed, but there seems to be a rather big boom of new bands emerging everywhere to play really drat old-school sounding metal. A boom to the extent that I have seen it called NWOTHM, for "New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal". And I don't mean old-school as in "mid-tempo so it kinda sorta sounds like 80s hard rock", I mean real bloody denim-vest-and-spiked-leather-bracers-in-your-face sound.

And while I've discovered quite a few good new bands lately thanks to this phenomenon, at the moment there's one that stands head and shoulders above the rest:

White Wizzard. God's bleeding arse this is some fantastic stuff. I mean, pretty much the only way this could be more loving METAL would be to add a gratuitous nonsensical umlaut to the name and make it White Wizzärd.

So excuse me, I'll be over there, sharpening my sword and punching holes in the air. ->

If you're posting about White Wizzard, you should post about what video goons will love (as example of the last thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnIBnz2_zw

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

KingKapalone posted:

I need advice on doing corpse paint. At stores I see grease makeup and cream makeup and I'm not sure what's best. I've read about more professional stuff like Kryolan and that is cream (Behemoth uses Kryolan Supracolor apparently). I've looked at guides online, but they don't really talk about the materials to use. Any and all advice on other materials is welcome too!

I've used stuff from halloween stores every year without a problem. I'm not sure what kind it is but it's cheap and seems to dry after a little bit, it doesn't seem to rub off on too much stuff. The dust can get on a black shirt and stand out but what can you do...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nordick posted:

White Wizzard :words:

White Wizzard does rule, but Anderson keeps getting fired :(

Is Jon Leon impossible to work with because christ, WW can not keep a lineup together at all

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DOOP posted:

White Wizzard does rule, but Anderson keeps getting fired :(

Is Jon Leon impossible to work with because christ, WW can not keep a lineup together at all
Yeah, some bands just seem to be like that. I had to look up who this Anderson actually is (I just discovered this band like, yesterday and haven't gotten over the ZOMG THIS poo poo IS TITS phase to actually familiarize myself with the band info yet) and yeah, I have to say he is pretty much superior to the other vocalist. Guy's got some serious pipes.
Maybe it's a thing with metal bands with frontmen named Jon, to have trouble keeping their good vocalists.

Oh btw, WW's cover of We Rock is one of the best Dio covers I've ever heard.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Holy Grail is pretty good too. They are the guys from the first White Wizzard EP that all got fired.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Holy Grail are loving awesome. Crisis in Utopa has some really kick rear end songs on it.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Holy Grail and White Wizzard are pretty solid live bands. The singer from Holy Grail told one of my favourite lovely metal jokes I've ever heard when the guitarist was fixing a string or something.

What do metalheads and Jews have in common? They both prefer the Old Testament

I find a lot of those bands are a lot of fun to see live but I can never really listen to more than a song or two on record before I get bored. I saw Cauldron at a small pub here on Friday and they were great but I just can't listen to them at home. Ditto for Holy Grail opening for Blind Guardian last year, great show, but I get three songs into their album and I'm not paying attention anymore.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Weaponized Cum posted:

In other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBSODmImPpM

This owns, by the way.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
The newest Absu album is streaming for the next week:

http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-absu-levy-6115/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Where is a good place to start with Blind Guardian?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Start from Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Then, if you find it a little overproduced, move backwards to the earlier albums; if you find it a little rough, move onwards to the later albums.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Start from Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Then, if you find it a little overproduced, move backwards to the earlier albums; if you find it a little rough, move onwards to the later albums.

I would say start with Night at the Opera, because IMO lyrics about Galileo and Judas and the Crusades are better than a concept album about the Simarillion.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Their newest album is excellent and well worth a listen.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Somewhere Far Beyond and Nightfall in Middle Earth are my favorite albums, and are a good representation of their earlier and later styles, respectively.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Early heads-up for Londoners: Agalloch are playing the Underworld on 11th April next year. It's going to sell out (if last time is anything to go by) so get your tickets soon. It's their only UK date, too :(
http://www.last.fm/event/2071749+Agalloch+at+The+Underworld+on+11+April+2012

Got mine. Any goons also heading along? I don't know if my Scottish mates will make it down.

Plus £16 is a steal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm actually going to recommend Tokyo Tales as a survey expedition of their older work. It's easily one of the best metal live albums ever released.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Could anyone recommend any bands similar to Leprous (that Norwegian progressive metal band someone posted a link to near the end of the last thread)? I'm really liking their stuff.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

fozzy fosbourne posted:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Blind_Guardian/Live/20218

My personal favorite. Great sound, awesome tracklist, crowd interaction.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Hammer Floyd posted:

Blind Guardian's Battlefield is amazing. I have yet to find any other songs that I really like though.

So what do people think of Disturbed?
And I take it that nobody even knows who Volbeat are? (Danish band)

Corroded are really good too. Let me post some examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynG8uwY_D7k

Seems like most of you guys are into the heavier stuff so I doubt anyone will like Volbeat since it is rather different. They sort of have an 50s vibe or whatever you call it. Inspired by Elvis and whatnot. But they do have some heavier stuff too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFaRQCu5q4
Here's a more "rough" song made by Volbeat as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxAg3UReToQ

I do like some heavier stuff like The Haunted but there aren't that many I reckon.

Hence why I came here, to find new favorites!

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 4, 2011

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Totally forgot about Tokyo Tales and Live. Amazing, amazing live albums, and both really good introductions to a good range of Blind Guardian's stuff.

Of course, neither has When Sorrow Sang, which is objectively the best Blind Guardian song :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005
re: blind guardian - this, which I think I found in the related videos on a clip linked in the previous thread, is what got me started with BG. After seeing that video, I went out to the record store with the intention of buying whichever album it was that had that song on it (Follow the Blind). I have since bought pretty much everything else they've released. It's all good.

Torabi - most "real" metal people (which is to say metal snobs, which are about half a step above hipsters imo) despise Disturbed, and, for that matter all nu-metal bands. I like their first three albums quite a bit myself, but they've gone downhill lately. Hopefully this "extended hiatus" they're going on after this tour will inject some new life into the band. Volbeat's not bad, but they're nothing really special either, at least to my ears.

kaosAG fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 4, 2011