Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

:stare:

Why would Muscowy do this?

They didn't really occupy a lot of land and Muscowy had a bunch of war exhaustion from another war. They did their job by wiping out half the Armenian army before I even declared war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ibntumart posted:

My Arabic is rusty, but I have been trying to recapture it, so I'll help out if you still want assistance. Though PMs might work better, given that I don't know when I'll be able to do IRC today.

I have a working method now, but when I finish I will post my file of names and you guys can correct any blatant errors.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

That's the fun of EU3. You can be kicked down a dozen times, but it only takes one successful war to utterly crush your current nemesis. Then your borders expand and you will find a new nemesis, continuing the cycle until you face an 'end-boss' super-blob.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

A coastline! Time to get on that sweet New World pie!... Eventually.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Wiz, I don't really like your colonial rule changes since it means that you can't colonize as Glorious Courland. :colbert:

e; Seriously though, looking good.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Wiz posted:

eu3ai.jpg

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
In the name of Allah, the All Merciful and All Righteous...

Truly shall the name of Sharizhor be spoken alongside those of Badr and al-Qadisiyyah. Allah has shown his favor to those that submit, gaining us much booty and beating back the lands of jahiliyah. Truly great are the ways of Allah.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Finally things align to our advantage. Nice to see us back in good shape.

Just a quick note about battle performance.

We have a shock 4 general:

Wiz posted:

Afterwards, some Azeri soldiers would claim that Allah sent an army of angels to aid Kasim, while others swore that they saw Khalid ibn al-Walid riding at the forefront of the Azeri army holding the banner of Jihad. Which of these stories is true cannot be known, but what everyone agrees on is that the Armenian army collapsed utterly upon the charge of the Azeri cavalry, turning the battle into a rout. Thousands of Armenians were slain, and thousands more captured and sold into slavery.

Once again, Kasim defeats them on the field of battle, but even as the Armenians retreat, tragedy strikes.

The second one being won with a minus 2 handicap.

They have a shock 4 general:

Wiz posted:

They are defeated, but at a very high cost. Sieges and battles have bled Azerbaijan's manpower dry, and there are no more men to replace the fallen.

The Armenians also make a sally, attacking Ertan in Trapezus and winning a minor victory.

The second they had a disadvantage. Also, look at the losses in each case, we only one the first one due to having more cavalry.

Also, to have a decent general at the moment we have to risk our ruler.

Apologies for the semi rant, I'll leeave it at that. People overlooking battlefield commissions is one of my pet peeves... It so often gets ignored.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Kainser posted:

e; Seriously though, looking good.

I agree, those colonies are making so much sense to me that I don't even care that Portugal's gone all snakey in Inca.

Wiz, could you post/re-post the gist of your colonial changes? Because it's obviously working really well.

EDIT: Also is it just me not paying attention to the maps or has Kangsu grown a fair amount?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I get what you are trying to say - getting the mil tradition idea would have been better, right? But I'm pretty sure the general assumption amongst the voters (includining me) was we wouldn't actually fight their main forces since the Armenians would be locked in a fight with the Russians and we would just wipe the floor with our manpower sponge. And ultimately, that bet (quite risky, I'll admit) was right. The fact that the Muscowians failed to turn the war into another expansion is a nice unexpected bonus.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 4, 2011

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Recap of colony system:

Wiz posted:

I'll give you a brief outline.

I've designated 25 different regions in the world as colonization targets, these regions are for example Indonesia, the Caribbean, the Thirteen Colonies, Atlantic Ocean Islands and so on.

An AI country that is a colonizer and lacks a colonization target will get an event that picks one of the 25 regions that they have discovered and have range to as their colonization target. What this means is that the event feeds the AI instructions to colonize the region via the add_ai_strategy command.

The AI will continue to focus mainly on this region for an average of 50 years, or until the entire region is colonized. After they finish with a region, their priorities for colonizing that region get removed and eventually another event fires picking a new target for them.

The chances of a country getting a particular target is weighted based on their culture. For example, Iberian culture countries are much more likely to get South American regions as their colonization target than North American ones. They're also weighted based on the general desirability and location of targets, so Brazil will usually be picked before the Andes, and so on.

Wiz posted:

It's not so much as not wanting to share as it simply being a lot of info to type out. Here is the event file if you want to dig into it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I get what you are trying to say - getting the mil tradition idea would have been better, right? But I'm pretty sure the general assumption amongst the voters (includining me) was we wouldn't actually fight their main forces since the Armenians would be locked in a fight with the Russians and we would just wipe the floor with our manpower sponge. And ultimately, that guess was right.

Grand Army was very useful, gave me the troops needed to both siege AND fight them on the field, instead of having to choose one or the other.

Not to say Battlefield Commissions wouldn't have been good, but it all worked out quite well.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I've seen some hints that, to colonize, you have to have a certain amount of coastal provences. What is that amount needed?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vander posted:

I've seen some hints that, to colonize, you have to have a certain amount of coastal provences. What is that amount needed?

4 ports and in our case, 16 naval tech, which is a fair bit away.

I also really don't think Azerbaijan is gonna colonize.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Having good generals is great once you have a big enough army to use them.

Azerbaijan needed to get over that hump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wiz posted:

4 ports and in our case, 16 naval tech, which is a fair bit away.

Even if we were beyond the tech threshold, would there be any colonies within our range? I mean, eastern Africa is obscenely far away since the game calculates naval routes, right?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That was amazing. I am so glad we have Georgians to tolerate the poo poo out of again. Man I don't know what you'll do now. More Armenians to tolerate or a coast line :D

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Even if we were beyond the tech threshold, would there be any colonies within our range? I mean, eastern Africa is obscenely far away since the game calculates naval routes, right?

No, we'd have basically no colonial range since we lack naval NIs, and our naval tech is gonna continue to be crap because of Lack of Naval Interest.

In short, we're not gonna colonize.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

No, we'd have basically no colonial range since we lack naval NIs, and our naval tech is gonna continue to be crap because of Lack of Naval Interest.

In short, we're not gonna colonize.
Maybe if there's a scramble for Africa in 1890...

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Dibujante posted:

Maybe if there's a scramble for Africa in 1890...

Azerbaijan will most likely not be invited to the cool kids club at Berlin. :(

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, to allow a bit of colonising by OPMs and semi-lanlocked nations is it possible to limit the number of colonies a country with less than 4 ports can maintain at any one time?

If they could have only one active colony at any one time it would allow them to get the odd colonial toehold whilst still allowing the major colonisers to dominate.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Munin posted:

Btw, to allow a bit of colonising by OPMs and semi-lanlocked nations is it possible to limit the number of colonies a country with less than 4 ports can maintain at any one time?

If they could have only one active colony at any one time it would allow them to get the odd colonial toehold whilst still allowing the major colonisers to dominate.

Honestly I don't see the need for OPMs to colonize. Historically colonies by small countries were so tiny and insignificant that really wouldn't deserve being represented on the EU3 map. They were also nearly all commercial and economic failures.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Look at that loving beautiful border, and a nice lovely 2pm right there to act as a buffer. Best war.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Also there is no way they would have the population necessary to set up colonies.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wooo :D Go Azerbaijan. Grand Army paid off for sure. Whether Battlefield Commissions would've been better, I dunno. Grand army worked brilliantly though :D

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I just want Iceland and Friesland to colonize :smallcountries:

How big is Frieslands capital? There is so much trade going through there that I'd imagine it being quite the metropolis.

e; Any chance that Iceland won't spend the entire LP not doing anything and not being invaded at any point?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

I just want Iceland and Friesland to colonize :smallcountries:

How big is Frieslands capital? There is so much trade going through there that I'd imagine it being quite the metropolis.

Groningen is 187k

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

e; Any chance that Iceland won't spend the entire LP not doing anything and not being invaded at any point?

It's Iceland. What do you honestly expect them to do?

I can give them a decision to colonize Greenland if it'll make you happy.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Wiz posted:

Groningen is 187k

Ahaha that's only 3k less then what we're on right now.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

I think Armenia is a paper tiger and not nearly as strong as they look.

I don't want to be all 'I told you so', but...

Armenia was able to appear much more threatening than they actually were by opportunistically jumping on temporarily weak neighbours. Their large size came from taking a lot of dirt-poor uncored grain and wool provinces in Russia that would have contributed little except raising their tech and stability costs. Any half-competent EU III player would have hosed them up eventually.

Now Persia, there's a threat. They're Sunni, and have lots of rich tax base provinces producing good trade goods like cloth and spices, and their position in the Middle East means it would take time for Moscowy's armies to help us in a war.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hey, did Kabul form Mughal? Finally?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

Hey, did Kabul form Mughal? Finally?

Yep.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Portugals being Spain, Spains being Portugal, Englands being England and Norway is being France.

How exciting.

I for one would much rather have been forced to learn Norwegian for nine years rather than French. :canada:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Wiz posted:

That would make me happy. I mean, why wouldn't they want to colonize Greenland? That's about the only thing they can do.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kanthulhu posted:

That would make me happy. I mean, why wouldn't they want to colonize Greenland? That's about the only thing they can do.

Done.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^That sounds cool as well.

Wiz posted:

It's mainly that I think really static areas of the map (like Iceland ends up being 90% of the time) are pretty boring. It makes total sense though obviously what with Iceland being really isolated and there not being any particular reason to own the place beyond prestige. And Iceland would for obvious reasons (really small population even for a 2 province minor) not be much of an expanding power.

Maybe add a mission for Norway to conquer Iceland which they can get if they have more than X provinces in North America or something? That could be something for Victoria 2 with it's imperialism anyway if Norway retains an empire.

vvv: It's time we renamed the caspian sea to the Azerbaijani sea.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 4, 2011

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Fantastic! We've got more territory and access to the sea. Question is what happens now? Do we expand westwards towards Byzantium and Greece or south towards Syria and Egypt? Or do we cross the caspian sea and start taking some rich trading provinces from persia?

Actually what are our current provinces worth? Do we have any good trade resources/high tax base/manpower provinces? Or is it mostly all chaff.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Two updates in one day? You're spoiling us, Wiz. Again.

Contrary to what other folks have been saying, I'm glad to hear that we won't be colonizing and I don't really want to see us expand a whole lot more, at least not for a long time. I really like the idea of a hippie Azerbaijan that's an economic/cultural powerhouse. Forwards with Operation Tolerance!

One thing I am worried about is that we won't get any news for a long time about what's going on in the world because we're far from the ocean and a medium power. Will we ever start getting news of what's going on in Africa, the Americas, and East Asia?

Also, I realize it's only a few updates since the last "State of the World" but I was wondering if you could post those pie charts for Azeri ethnic and religious make-up, given how much our country has just changed. You can just post the numbers if you like.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

It's mainly that I think really static areas of the map (like Iceland ends up being 90% of the time) are pretty boring. It makes total sense though obviously what with Iceland being really isolated and there not being any particular reason to own the place beyond prestige. And Iceland would for obvious reasons (really small population even for a 2 province minor) not be much of an expanding power.

Maybe add a mission for Norway to conquer Iceland which they can get if they have more than X provinces in North America or something? That could be something for Victoria 2 with it's imperialism anyway if Norway retains an empire.

Yeah, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
That ought to learn 'em. And, methinks the lands Muscowy neglected to take in this war will be just as easily taken from the Golden Horde. Russia ought to be around soon.

Too bad Ikko-Ikki hasn't done anything (if I'm reading the map right).

• Locked thread