Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SpacePig posted:

Is "EYE-KO" not correct? I've been pronouncing it that way, too.

In Japanese, the letter 'i' is always pronounced as a long 'e'. I've always pronounced it EYE-ko, though, simply out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hirsute posted:

Also, does anyone else pronounce it "EYE-KO" instead of the correct "EE-KO?" I know it's wrong but that's how I pronounced it for years until I learned it was wrong, and now I refuse to pronounce it correctly.
Almost everyone I know says Eye-ko. I don't even correct people now, I just truck along saying it properly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

I own all those games and I'm considering purchasing them again. I am a bad person.

Nothing wrong wtih Dragon kicking your rear end into the Milk Way..

Milky Way

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
When pronounced correctly (ee-ko) it also sounds like the Japanese for "[let's] go".

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
PSN Plus is getting some good deals lately, with 20%-50% off on the first week of release. I'm considering buying a subscription.

Damnit. I'm gonna need a bigger HD.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just got my copy of the Team Ico Collection AND just got an email notice from Gamefly that they've sent Dark Souls. It's an awesome gaming overload!

When I was renting Demon's Souls I didn't play any other game for a solid month. I'm expecting it to be much the same with Dark Souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Taratang posted:

When pronounced correctly (ee-ko) it also sounds like the Japanese for "[let's] go".
Well, but without the long vowel, which makes a big difference in Japanese. I don't think that was intentional.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's probably intentional with all the times you have to yell at Yorda NO YOU loving RUN OVER HERE DON'T LET THE SHADOW GRAB YOU AAARGGH *quit to title screen*

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unless I had to make her climb stuff I always just dragged around by her hand.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Policenaut posted:

It's probably intentional with all the times you have to yell at Yorda NO YOU loving RUN OVER HERE DON'T LET THE SHADOW GRAB YOU AAARGGH *quit to title screen*

That's how I felt with this game. Still doesn't stop me from playing it though.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sega is bringing Daytona USA to PSN (and possibly XBLA too) at the end of October.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/03/playstation-plus-october-offers-free-costume-quest-and-discounts-galore/

quote:

Mystery Title – 30% off – 10/25 (Hint from Sega: It’s a Sega title which is about to announced. Go to sega.com/sweepstakes for more information. Good luck!)

Sega's "announcement" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmZL_D-c_qM&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA&hd=1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man it sure was great when SEGA actually developed fun games instead of getting lucky with other people's work and just publishing them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
...was Sega EVEN trying with that?..I wonder what's more stupid, this announcement or the Sonic announcement trailer.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, but without the long vowel, which makes a big difference in Japanese. I don't think that was intentional.

Disclaimer: I don't speak Japanese, when I watched an interview with one of the developers it sounded the same to my western ear ...and there I was thinking I'd noticed something clever :downs:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Taratang posted:

Disclaimer: I don't speak Japanese, when I watched an interview with one of the developers it sounded the same to my western ear ...and there I was thinking I'd noticed something clever :downs:
Eh, it's just because English doesn't have vowel length distinction in meaning, not all that many languages do. The few that do are scattered all over the world (other examples are Finnish, Sanskrit and Hungarian). As you grow up you lose the ability to detect distinctions between sounds that aren't in the languages you speak. It's nothing in particular about being Western.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Shindragon posted:

That's how I felt with this game. Still doesn't stop me from playing it though.

I'm kind of having ARRGH! :argh: moments with Shadows of the Colossus. The camera is wonky and I just died getting tossed off the drat things head. I heard this game was good but i'm already getting frustrated on the first one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm kind of having ARRGH! :argh: moments with Shadows of the Colossus. The camera is wonky and I just died getting tossed off the drat things head. I heard this game was good but i'm already getting frustrated on the first one.

Hhaha yeah it will do that to you. If it makes you feel any better, took me 5 tries to beat the first guy. On another note, I was looking for my headset, and well..it seems I had a ps2 slim.. hahah poo poo..

Well, I might still double dip on games being offered on PSN.. but man it makes me happy being able to play DMC3, Godhand and ZOE again.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

BigRed0427 posted:

Try switching both of the settings for camera control to Inverted in the options menu. I normally never play with inverted controls, but that's the only way I could get the game to feel like it controlled naturally.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

This is completely normal if you've never played the game before. You aren't Kratos taking on the Titans; you are some random, determined guy taking on wild giants.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guess what Gamefly just sent me and I played 5 minutes of and will never touch again.

Shadows of the Colossus.

I mean, sure I bet I'm missing out on a very serene, deep experience, but gently caress those controls so hard.

Never again.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did you try inverting them? I mean, the controls aren't great but there's options to help offset that. You can even turn off the 'cliff follow' or whatever they call it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For some reason, my camera controls were inverted when I started and turning them to inverted made them normal.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
As far as I'm concerned, inverted is normal :colbert:.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Feenix posted:

Hey guess what Gamefly just sent me and I played 5 minutes of and will never touch again.

Shadows of the Colossus.

I mean, sure I bet I'm missing out on a very serene, deep experience, but gently caress those controls so hard.

Never again.

I will never, never understand people who say this.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Man I don't need any more encouragement to buy $60 of stuff on PSN in October. The hard part is standing back and being able to see if I'll ever have time to play all of these. New NBA Jam, PJ Side Scroller and that infamous thing stand out. Not sure if fall is the time to be reaching back to PS2 games though. Dungeon Defenders looks interesting too. Now if only some good Rock Band songs would come out.

Can I fit in any of those between Batman and Rage/Dark Souls (I still don't know which one I want to pick up tomorrow, such a hard fucken choice, and to think Twisted Metal was originally coming out tomorrow, good choice on the delay.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Shadows of the Colossus.

Never again.

At least you have it a fair chance :jerkbag:

Speaking of :jerkbag:, I know I literally did this a week ago with the Team Ico Collection, but why the gently caress has Dark Souls not shipped yet? To be fair, last time I was complaining at 4 in the afternoon. It's 10:30 at night and it's not even saying "shipping soon"...it's still on "not yet shipped". I swear to god amazon...if I have to wait an extra day to play Dark Souls :argh:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Its gonna be a bit before I get Dark Souls and I have been meaning to pop Demon Souls back it. I am kind of worried though that no one is gonna be on it anymore because of the new game. :smith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

...! posted:

The controls are why Killzone 2 is only a good game, instead of a amazing game for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

...! posted:

Why would you understand it? You don't know me.

You don't know that I'm 34, getting married in a week, and when I DO get around to getting back from my honeymoon, I will have a poo poo ton of really awesome Winter 2011 games. You don't know that my time is limited, and archaic HD remakes with no effort paid to fixing something as simple as controls just don't vie well for my time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress, I asked Amazon support and they are apparently out of stock of Dark Souls despite the fact I loving preordered it. :suicide:

It's good to know they don't loving understand the point of preordering stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

axleblaze posted:

Well gently caress, I asked Amazon support and they are apparently out of stock of Dark Souls despite the fact I loving preordered it. :suicide:

That is really poo poo. Sorry to hear that. I guess maybe take a tiny sliver of solace that the game is extremely popular or something? :)

Seriously though, you need to complain till they do you right.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

axleblaze posted:

drat that sucks. Thank God mine got shipped out earlier this evening, I don't know what I'd do if I had to wait for it any longer :ohdear:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

archaic HD remakes with no effort paid to fixing something as simple as controls just don't vie well for my time.

The controls don't need fixing. Hope this helps.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though...I'm REALLY loving pissed. Here's hoping I can somehow find a store that has this in stock.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

...! posted:

I do. I played the PS2 version and thought it was an incredibly boring game with lovely controls. I'm not saying you can't enjoy it for what it is, but a game is first and foremost, well, a game. I don't care how realistic or "justified" it is, if it results in something that detracts from the play experience, then it's not good game design.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jamesman posted:

The controls don't need fixing. Hope this helps.

Considering it has been one of the criticisms since the game was first released, I think that is highly debatable.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Seriously though...I'm REALLY loving pissed. Here's hoping I can somehow find a store that has this in stock.

Me too. Newegg royally hosed me over this afternoon with the email they sent out. I was hoping to play the game during my days off. :(

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Instead of people complaining back and forth about if SotC needs improved controls, can we just agree that it's not a game for everyone?

If you're interested in the game but can't deal with the controls, you might want to check out the LP of it. I don't know if said LP is any good since I haven't watched it, but it's on LParchive and it's video, so I'm sure it shows off the Colossi fights well enough, and you can skip the in-betweens if you don't want to watch travel.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

sentrygun posted:

Instead of people complaining back and forth about if SotC needs improved controls, can we just agree that it's not a game for everyone?

I think you should know better that no one can agree to that in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Palleon posted:

I think you should know better that no one can agree to that in this thread.

I can try. :negative:

Seriously though, this is an issue that will never be resolved if we keep bickering about it. SotC isn't my favorite game ever, but I enjoyed it enough to look past the control scheme (which I ended up getting used to) and got a lot out of it. Other people might get bored steering a horse around a large, open area and decide it's not a fun game, or get tired of falling hundreds of feet to their death off the heads of Colossi. Those people stop playing and play something they like.

Videogames. :v:

• Locked thread