Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

closeted republican posted:

Karma and the like has always been a bit wonky in the Fallout games. In F1 and F2, attacking someone like a random junkie or prostitute would often have an entire town, including named NPCs, start trying to kill you in a turn or two. I remember one of the sleazy Brahmin guys in Klamath trying to attack me, and as soon as I hit him, the entire city, including Sulik, went nuts and tried to kill me. Apparently people take their sleazy Brahman barons very seriously.

The best part was throwing a rock at someone right before taking the tanker to the endgame in Fallout 2, resulting in the entire town of San Francisco going hostile and them getting the worst ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The best part was throwing a rock at someone right before taking the tanker to the endgame in Fallout 2, resulting in the entire town of San Francisco going hostile and them getting the worst ending.

You can also do that with Vault City, which is even more hilarious because Vault City's worst ending states that everybody was killed and everything was stolen, even if you just threw a rock at the first guard you saw and ran back to the world map.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Penguingo posted:

Steam menu -> right click new vegas -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of steam cache -> see if it downloads a new file.

I can't tell what it's doing exactly, but it's taking it's sweet time validating.

What it's doing is crashing every so often- usually when I fast-travel or change from inside to outside, or vice versa, it seems. Lonesome Road and the main game are both fine, though.

Edit: All it did was replace the "fallout_default.ini" file I had changed to fix the mouse weirdness in menus. Oh well.

Also, is there a console command to respawn ED-E after Lonesome Road?

TShields fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 3, 2011

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Xguard86 posted:

I lucked out in ME and was super satisfied with my Commander. Looks like a space badass without looking cartoonishly pretty or overly cavemanish.

1st: Is Hardcore annoying with needing water and what not, or does it add a fun challenge? I played fallout 3 and it got a little too easy after a while, so I wouldn't mind a little more tension. I really don't have time to play through games 2x, so I'd like to take the best option for my run.

2nd: Is there any DLC that I should get before I start that will integrate really well, or is it all kind of optional side stuff I can buy?

I made Abe Lincoln: Space Cop in Mass Effect 2. On accident. Only realized he was Abe about halfway through the game.

On topic: Hardcore's general consensus seems to be that it's a fun little addition if you want a bit more of a challenge. The DLC has a nice story arch (Besides Honest Hearts), changes how you play the game, and, probably happiest of all, adds some nice new weapons that are just great fun. If you can only get one and you don't want to add like 15 hours of gameplay, get the Gun Runner's Arsenal, which just adds a bunch of new guns and ammo types to the base game. Recommend all, though.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
So I am finally getting round to my second playthrough at New Vegas. This time I am playing it on my new PC rather than my PS3 though! So I was wondering if there is any mods that would be a good add to my second playthrough, but don;t change the game too drastically? I haven't touched the game since about 5 days after it was released and I powered my way through it. Also, any reccomendations on a build for a second playthrough? I was thinking about going melee weapons/speech/lockpick and I plan on being a dick to as many people as I can :D.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Pogue_Mahone posted:

So I am finally getting round to my second playthrough at New Vegas. This time I am playing it on my new PC rather than my PS3 though! So I was wondering if there is any mods that would be a good add to my second playthrough, but don;t change the game too drastically? I haven't touched the game since about 5 days after it was released and I powered my way through it. Also, any reccomendations on a build for a second playthrough? I was thinking about going melee weapons/speech/lockpick and I plan on being a dick to as many people as I can :D.

Shortlist? Nevada Skies, Conelrad 640-1240 or Existence 2.0, and maybe Fellout or Requiem for a Capital Wasteland (RfaCW if you have Fallout 3).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
cool guess I'll go hardcore. Since the game was only 10 bucks, I'm more likely to splurge and go for the DLC. Especially with everyone saying its well done.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Just popping into say that I will be returning to New Vegas soon and looking forward to getting back into it. I only play games during the fall and winter and have been daydreaming about getting the dlcs and starting a new playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the reasons I think Yes Man is the best "essential" character in the endgame is because he isn't essential. At any point before you upload him to House's computer and use the chip after removing him from power, if you feel like taking out any anger, just kill the gently caress out of Yes Man! Then, leave the area, change to a different endgame quest in the quest log, change back to Wild Card, and boom, he's alive again! He doesn't even react to your violence if you've got Very Good karma! Nice for stress relief. :allears:

(spoilers just in case there's someone out there that doesn't like having one of the many possible end paths spoiled for them in this years-old game)

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

CJacobs posted:

this years-old game

Game's not even a year old.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

jvempire posted:

The Mojave is quite strange...

I do not think doctors are suppose to leave camp if they have wounded patients.

Ok so Diane of the Great Khans decided to spawn in front of black mountain, then when I try intercepting her while she is trying to walk back to the Great Khans base, I saw that she was being chased by a deathclaw. And if she dies the quest to stop the Great Khans from joining Legion ends. Just another day for the Gunslinger I suppose.

On my current run-through, Canyon Runner and Decanus Severus decided to stroll on up to see the dinosaur at Novac, and were summarily wasted by the town guards. Captain Whosis, who was supposed to be manning the gate into the NCR/Khan siege at Boulder City, first was murdered at his post by a Legion veteran, then on reload headed towards Novac and got Cazador'd. There's also a Boomer wandering around Black Mountain in plain view of the Super Mutants (respawning). I've got a random Wasteland Traveller trapped in the storage closet at the Dino Dee-lite. For a whilem, the Mick 7 Ralph's crier was missing - last seen heading east out of the gate by Gun Runners, but apparently he came back; the Kings runner who gave me assorted poo poo tried to follow me into the Strip, and got blitzed by Securitrons.

I *think* that's all in the current run. I know the last one, Mrs. Hofstadtler <sp?> was seen going to knuckletown with Lakelurks just down the road from Camp Golf. And I found the holdout Great Khan dead by the eastern Water Treatment Plant after talking him out of his cave. :smith: That run also had 2-3 Centaurs spawning by No-Bark's shack every three days. And a Viper Gunman who was spawning *inside* Helios One and eventually killed Fantastic and the Followers guy. (This run, he spawns by the food tent in Novac and is usually massacred immediately.)

This doesn't take into account the usual random Radscorpion spawning at the fast-travel point in Goodsprings, or the Geckos at the Viper hangouts near the railroad tunnelsouth of Novac, or the Highway 95 ambush. At least the Giant Radscorp that was spawning in the middle of Goodspring during the single-digit levels finally went away...

Fallout :catdrugs: Edition

Oooh, forgot about that Followers chick who fixed up Yes Man, running into the Lucky 38 to check on my progress in bugging the place. (Someone else had that happen, as well.)

Big_Daddy_Fabio
Oct 26, 2010
In my most recent playthrough, Ruby Nash decided to spawn directly behind me in a firefight south of Primm at the abandoned police station, and due to me only having melee weapons, she didn't stand a chance. In her defense, however, I'm pretty sure she wasted at least 2 of those Vipers, so good for her.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Dear god... And I thought I was having problems for when a cazador spawns at the Hoover Dam fast travel point (causing everyone in the Dam to freak out).

These glitches are very weird, because I don't think I had these problems occur when I first played New Vegas at release. It's also scary to think that any NPC could possibly at any moment decide to run off and die.

Obviously, this is Radiant AI 2.0 for Skyrim being tested on in New Vegas.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I have some sort of weird obsession with Ratslayer. I think it's because this is the first playthrough I found it on. I haven't quite figured out why some things die so quickly to it and others are so resilient.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I picked up the Left My Heart quest the other day and headed down to Cottonwood Cove to find the family. I also had Render Unto Caesar in my questlog, and as a result Canyon Runner refused to talk to me until I went to see Caesar. That really irritated me, since if I freed the slaves they'd all die and if I wiped out the Legion there any way other than dumping the radioactive cannisters I'd be shunned by the Legion and unable to speak to Caesar.

So I ended up getting onto the ferry and going to the Fort, where my stuff was taken from me and was told to go see Caesar. Instead I immediately fast travelled back to Cottonwood Cove and tried talking to Canyon Runner again, but apparently Caesar frequently radios him to let him know if he's talked to people recently, so he told me to get my rear end back to see Caesar.

I was pissed off and ready to go and do a quest I hadn't wanted to do yet when it FINALLY clicked for me - this is my game and my choice. Why should I see Caesar just to avoid a "mission failed" message? Why should I ignore my instincts to kill every motherfucking Legion soldier I find? So I wiped out Cottonwood Cove, and then Boone finally told me about Bitter Springs, and then we went to Bitter Springs and wiped out more Legion there and now me, Boone and Ed-E are going to arm up, take that ferry and see Caesar after all. But we're not coming to complete a mission, we're coming to kill every last motherfucking one of them. I was an idiot, letting the game dictate missions and where to go and who to speak with. It's a sandbox world, it's my game to decide what to do and who to kill, and it's about time I finally figured that out. I can't balance everyone forever and get the benefit of doing all their quests, sometimes some guys just have to die.

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.
Similar to you, I decided it was my sandbox game and I could make my own quests. it only took caesar sending a hit squad after me once for me to take that ferry across and show him the consequences of his actions.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ygolonac posted:

Oooh, forgot about that Followers chick who fixed up Yes Man, running into the Lucky 38 to check on my progress in bugging the place. (Someone else had that happen, as well.)

No one's allowed inside the Lucky 38 except for you (and me). This actually startled me because I wasn't expecting somebody to appear behind me and start dialog while I was messing around in the suite.

Aside from this I've never really had very many spawning bugs with this game, everybody is usually where they're supposed to be. These stories remind me of the STALKER games where you'd follow a marker to a quest giver and discover they wandered off into an anomaly or spawned inside of a flaming barrel or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just hope Caesar and the others appreciate the symbolism when a guy carrying A Light Shining In The Darkness and another guy wearing Joshua Graham's clothes bring death with them to the Fort.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In my current Energy Weapons run, the NCR guy that gives you the emergency radio spawned when I was cleaning out Vault 3. Imagine my surprise when I see the Fiends getting their asses kicked by somebody I've never seen before. He finished off the Fiends attacking him, ran over, gave me the radio, and left like nothing happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

closeted republican posted:

In my current Energy Weapons run, the NCR guy that gives you the emergency radio spawned when I was cleaning out Vault 3. Imagine my surprise when I see the Fiends getting their asses kicked by somebody I've never seen before. He finished off the Fiends attacking him, ran over, gave me the radio, and left like nothing happened.

In Freeside the other, I saw the Kings member who gives you stuff rushing towards me, then suddenly peel off wildly to the right and disappear around a corner. I followed him around and found him blasting away into a cowering Freeside Thug. Once he'd blown his head off, he turned to me, told me to keep up the good work and gave me.... maize. :3:

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

Jerusalem posted:

I just hope Caesar and the others appreciate the symbolism when a guy carrying A Light Shining In The Darkness and another guy wearing Joshua Graham's clothes bring death with them to the Fort.

I just hope Caesar appreciates how I shot him the dick with my brush gun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pogue_Mahone posted:

So I am finally getting round to my second playthrough at New Vegas. This time I am playing it on my new PC rather than my PS3 though! So I was wondering if there is any mods that would be a good add to my second playthrough, but don;t change the game too drastically? I haven't touched the game since about 5 days after it was released and I powered my way through it.

Preface: Check out the New Vegas Modding thread. Pretty much everything I have in the OP is vouched for by the SA community, and I give some details on each mod so you can tell right away if it's something you'd be interested in.

Since you don't want to drastically change the gameplay, I'd assume overhauls like Project Nevada are out of the question. As CommanderCoffee said, the extra radio stations are nice to have (Existence 2.0 and CONELRAD) and fit the game nicely.

Graphically, you might want to check out Arenovalis' WRP (Weapons Retexture Project) and NMC's textures. WRP uses the same resolutions as the originals, but his work is basically incredible and there isn't much of a reason to not use it since it has no effect on performance. NMC's pack comes in three flavors and overhauls virtually every worldspace / object texture in the game. The smallest version uses the same resolutions as the originals, with the medium and large versions being twice and four times larger, respectively. Additionally, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul is pretty cool, and adds a bunch of vegetation to the the world that can really change the atmosphere of certain areas.

WME / WMX (use one or the other) overhaul the weapon modding system, basically doing what the GRA DLC does, but to everything...and for free. Pretty much every weapon now has three available modifications. AG Supplementary Uniques hand-places a bunch of (at least 70, last time I checked) really cool unique weapons to the game that all use vanilla assets, and are surprisingly well done and balanced. It'll keep you looking behind every desk and rock, like some sort of wasteland treasure hunt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Is A Light Shining in the Darkness a reference to anything besides that one ink blob at the start?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Is A Light Shining in the Darkness a reference to anything besides that one ink blob at the start?

The phrase engraved on the slide of the pistol is from the Bible passage John 1:5, "And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not."

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
It's the most bad rear end gun in a game ever.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

After the current one, which I still have hours upon hours of things to do, I'm planning on taking a break from New Vegas and then, one day, do a run where my character's the most cold hearted bastard ever, but I'm playing Lonesome Road for the first time and I don't think I could ever bring myself to be mean to ED-E :3:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It's the most bad rear end gun in a game ever.

Nope, that's This Machine. I would say A Light Shining in Darkness is the most badass pistol in a game ever, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else noticed that the guy at the Gun Runners Booth Reloading Bench just ups and vanishes once you arrive at the place for the first time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He just goes home and usually stays there the rest of the time. It's in the cluster of houses to the east of the gun runners.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sam. posted:

Nope, that's This Machine. I would say A Light Shining in Darkness is the most badass pistol in a game ever, though.

If I wasn't such a whore for energy weapons, this would be my ideal loadout. I think I'm going to scrub this current run halfway then do another quick start but this time do Honest Hearts first and grab A Light Shining in Darkness ASAP. Or just grab Lucky and use signature weapon. Or maybe...

...gently caress WHY CAN'T I JUST STICK TO ONE THING

Ok gently caress this run, going with a Guns/Melee Cowboy run using the Signature Weapons/Armor mod and hand loader for ammo. No more rifles or sniping.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 4, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just wrapped up Old World Blues and if there's one thing I took away from it it's that scientists drink and smoke a lot. I mean a LOT a lot. There must have been a pack or carton of cigarettes in every desk, box, or filing cabinet I searched.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I just wrapped up Old World Blues and if there's one thing I took away from it it's that scientists drink and smoke a lot. I mean a LOT a lot. There must have been a pack or carton of cigarettes in every desk, box, or filing cabinet I searched.

Don't forget Mentats. Mobius' room :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I left OWB with approximately a million mentats.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't forget Mentats. Mobius' room :stare:

Those motherfuckers are all mine, though I'll probably sell them.

Also it was kind of weird that I conspired with my brain for it to rejoin me after I dealt with Dr. Klein back at the Think Tank but since the ending slides trigger before you can do so you're told that you and your brain never reunite.. I made the game a liar. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had literally over a hundred Mentats by the time I left Old World Blues.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Anyone else find Energy Weapons boring? Guns are alot more fun to use.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Melting people with Energy Weapons never gets old, especially if the game slows down while they're disintegrating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah I'm dropping my energy weapons run mid-through because by level 16 you win the game with poo poo like Meltdown, Vigilant Recycler, the new Optimal GRA ammo, and a quick to find unique like Elijah's LAER or the Repconn HQ Plasma.

I'm now debating what weapon I should make my signature weapon. Preferably something I can pick up ASAP before I jump and do Honest Hearts at like level 3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the gun. A plasma pistol is a pretty stylish sidearm and it's hilarious murdering things with what looks like a toy gun with ridiculous max charge cells. A scoped laser rifle is my favourite sniping tool. No deviation, hits where it's aimed, unlimited range (or as far as your actor clipping is enabled).

GRA Trip report. Holy balls are the uniques expensive. The Nuka Breaker seems to be a reskin of the fire axe. Seems a lot smaller in-game than in the release screenshots unfortunately, and it's really AP heavy to use. The Katana on the other hand, there is no finer weapon for a goon. Wandering the wasteland, slicing poo poo up.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

I keep trying to make unarmed/explosives/energy weapon characters but I keep going back to guns.

This game just has the best guns. A .44 Magnum, lever-action shotgun, Thompson, and a Garand? It's like an all-time greatest hits collection of firearms.