Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Buhbuhj posted:

Pols not the one you should worry about, there's a couple other killers that have entered as well. I won't spoil the fun though.

It's me. I'm all of the other killers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So I finally took the plunge and ordered my first stick. I got a Hori V3 fightstick, after seeing that it wasn't too expensive for a starter stick and the shoryuken forums reported that it was pretty easily moddable if I so choose (I like to tinker, so the potential to go in and screw around is pretty important to me). I want to replace the buttons with some colored ones, preferably backlit, as my roommate is an artist and has offered to paint it, and knowing her artstyle it would look great with some glowing buttons on it. Are there any particular buttons people would recommend or recommend avoiding, along with any particular store recommendations?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Zodiac5000 posted:

So I finally took the plunge and ordered my first stick. I got a Hori V3 fightstick, after seeing that it wasn't too expensive for a starter stick and the shoryuken forums reported that it was pretty easily moddable if I so choose (I like to tinker, so the potential to go in and screw around is pretty important to me). I want to replace the buttons with some colored ones, preferably backlit, as my roommate is an artist and has offered to paint it, and knowing her artstyle it would look great with some glowing buttons on it. Are there any particular buttons people would recommend or recommend avoiding, along with any particular store recommendations?

Get sanwa or semeitsu, you have a bit (a lot) of reading to do, especially on how to do the lighting. You will probably end up with semeitsu, because they have more color choices (although sanwa is expanding). Get the stuff from lizardlick.com if you are in the USA.

Start here:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/tech-talk.6/

and http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
It's been a slow couple of days for me so I got back into my copy of Guilty Gear AC+. I'm thinking about changing my main from Jam (:laffo: 6x card chaining) to Zappa (ghosts) or May (3K). Not sure, though.

Also, I really wish Matrimelee got to the States. Who can't love a game whose final boss theme is a rock version of the Wedding March? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkA5E8DwTo

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Play Zappa, Zappa is the best. I need to get back into that game; I kind of fell off the Arc bandwagon entirely after deciding I hate BlazBlue, but I bet GG is still fun.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Groghammer posted:

It's been a slow couple of days for me so I got back into my copy of Guilty Gear AC+. I'm thinking about changing my main from Jam (:laffo: 6x card chaining) to Zappa (ghosts) or May (3K). Not sure, though.

Also, I really wish Matrimelee got to the States. Who can't love a game whose final boss theme is a rock version of the Wedding March? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkA5E8DwTo

May's 3k isn't really that good... it's pretty situational. I mained May from #R to AC and I pretty much regret it. To be fair I wasn't that good but I played with really good players (Alex G etc.) and there were matchups where it felt almost impossible to do anything as May such as May vs. Johnny (at least in #R and slash). Her combos were fun until AC until they threw out all her cool poo poo and gave her the "boring loop" which is effective but loving stupid.

Her 5HS is pretty good especially as a meaty and for counterhit fishing because it staggers on CH and it is + on block as well. I never really figured out how you're "supposed" to play her because high level May in tournament vids were rare back when GG was big. I think the most effective May I ever saw just kind of ran up from really far away and command grabbed, it worked because he could punish really hard if they tried to avoid it. In a lot of matchups you kind of have to IAD backward a lot and fish for j.HS counterhits. Vs. Potemkin and poo poo I never could figure out what to do at all. Basically her normals were okay in many situations but I specifically remember against my friend who was very good with Johnny I felt completely countered when it came to footsies. There seemed to be no optimal range where I had an advantage, he could 6HS MC from half screen and I just had no idea what to do. I wish I could go back and play the game again because I feel like I'm a lot better at FG's in general now and there's stuff I'd like to try out with May to see if it was the character or if it was just me. I quit right as AC came out basically but she seemed significantly better in that game for what it's worth.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Machine posted:

No, because most fighting games do not have a ruleset much longer than 'play 2/3 matches on default settings, dont pause poo poo or use turbo on your controllers'.

Conventional FGs usually only ban unlockable bosses (Omega Rugal, Akuma, Gill), who are blatantly not meant for competitive play. I can't really think of a conventional fighter where a main roster character has been banned.
I know I'm late to the party, but Hilde in Soul Calibur 4.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

The Rokstar posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but Hilde in Soul Calibur 4.

soul calibur 4 is taken about as seriously as smash brawl, so.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Policenaut posted:

Ahahahahahah oh gently caress this is amazing.

New Bloody Roar announcement was a hoax pulled by some dude impersonating Hudson Soft

Ono should pull this next time he wants to announce something stupid (for SFxT probably)

I'd say that's impressive to troll the whole fighting game community, but it's not that hard to irritate anyone who plays fighting games and takes this stuff seriously.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
http://images.challonge.com/STgoonsgarden.png
^^Final ST goon tourney bracket^^

Congrats to babyburps69 on this weeks ST ggpo tourney. I got second, and congrats to ZerodotJander as well for placing 3rd. After we figured out who the dropouts were we had a decent number of matches, so this might become somewhat more regular if interest continues. Thanks for participating, those who did!

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Groghammer posted:

Oh my god, Matrimelee. An arcade around here had that for a while in some sort of custom oldschool Neo Geo cab. I don't even remember most of the cast, just Poochy, Mr. Jones and the guy that only kicked.

That game is so fuckin weird, I'm surprised anybody has heard of it.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I don't even remember how I found out about it. Probably through Let's Go, Onmyouji.

And thanks for the support, guys, I guess I'll start running with Zapps. First things first: A metagame.

VV Yeah, I should learn to be as annoying with the dog as I am with the Stooges. I may have a habit of spamming 8D and its followup too much, but it helps the dog stay in the right place and punish jumpers.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 4, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Groghammer posted:

I think you mean Zappa(that loving dog), or Zappa(Zeus always wins)

Ghosts were good for zoning and stuff but the dog was a loving nightmare, and if he ever pulled out Zeus it was over.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Groghammer posted:

May (6P)

This is not an actual pro strategy but if you show up to an arcade with this button and you can do 2x HCB you can make believe it's the early 90s again because somebody will beat you loving senseless

E: youtube comes through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCytwRbzwQA

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

SpaceBees posted:

Its OK, its nice of you to step out of a tournament where you would mercilessly body everyone. :)

Hahaha no but judging by the results and how rusty Fingers seemed when we played the other day I think 2nd was a possibility. babyburps69 is like at least 10 times better than me though.

Cat Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure Pol went 0-2 in the last ST tournament iirc

I don't remember this which either means it didn't happen or it was so long ago that I'm a lot, lot better now anyway.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Mio Bison posted:

This is not an actual pro strategy but if you show up to an arcade with this button and you can do 2x HCB you can make believe it's the early 90s again because somebody will beat you loving senseless

E: youtube comes through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCytwRbzwQA

That is the best thing ever.

6P stuns everyone, not just Chipp, right?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

On counter-hit it does a lot more stun. Usually if you counter-hit with it once and then hit them with it again at all they'd stun. I don't think it stunned in one CH against anyone but Chipp though.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

systran posted:

On counter-hit it does a lot more stun. Usually if you counter-hit with it once and then hit them with it again at all they'd stun. I don't think it stunned in one CH against anyone but Chipp though.

I'm pretty darn sure Dizzy has the same stun rate as Chipp so it should work against her too.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

40 OZ posted:

Get sanwa or semeitsu, you have a bit (a lot) of reading to do, especially on how to do the lighting. You will probably end up with semeitsu, because they have more color choices (although sanwa is expanding). Get the stuff from lizardlick.com if you are in the USA.

Start here:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/tech-talk.6/

and http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html

seimitsu isnt easily mounted in that stick, the sanwa is (maybe ls 56 if you gotta do seimitsu)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I'm pretty darn sure Dizzy has the same stun rate as Chipp so it should work against her too.

I used to play a lot against a Dizzy and I don't remember getting a stun in one CH but who knows it was too long ago :/

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Robolizard! posted:

seimitsu isnt easily mounted in that stick, the sanwa is (maybe ls 56 if you gotta do seimitsu)

Er, yeah, sorry I was talking about the buttons. I wasn't sure if he was talking about the V3 SA or the V3.

You are right, the Sanwa JLF is the best choice for the joystick.

I meant Semeitsu for the buttons because he wanted to add LED's. Lizardlick has gotten in some of the new Sanwa translucent buttons, so you do have some options there for Sanwa, but Semeitsu has more colors right now.

I have never done LEDs (i prefer basic/minimal designs) and they look like a (relative) pain in the butt in terms of wiring. If you have never done any stick mods you need to educate yourself quite a bit.

I have the 6-button V3 with a JLF and semeitsu buttons. I love that stick. (yellow ball and buttons for faux namco look ^_^)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

http://images.challonge.com/STgoonsgarden.png
^^Final ST goon tourney bracket^^

Congrats to babyburps69 on this weeks ST ggpo tourney. I got second, and congrats to ZerodotJander as well for placing 3rd. After we figured out who the dropouts were we had a decent number of matches, so this might become somewhat more regular if interest continues. Thanks for participating, those who did!

Here's the archived stream on Youtube. Lot of blackscreen inbetween matches and some trouble spectating on GGPO, couldn't edit it out because doing video editing on FLVs is a bitch and finding a way to convert it to something without losing sync on the audio is impossible. Also some framerate issues because I forgot to change a setting before going live and nobody told me it was lagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoZ9mwKG_0

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm finally trying to put some actual effort into ST. I played it a while back and used Fei, but then I stopped and then whenever someone randomly had it running at a meetup I would play and use Boxer because he was so easy to use. I'm started to learn Honda now because he actually seems fun, had fun playing with him so far except when I went up against Claw who I swear breaks everything fun about this game at least until I learn the matchups against him I guess.

I don't really understand his character design and why his wall dive moves work well even without a knockdown. It seemed like if he did one randomly while I was standing I could headbutt to just dodge it, get away, and build meter (reset the situation basically), and if I tried to butt slam I'd usually just get hit and sometimes trade. I tried to anti-air it with j. fierce but that didn't seem to work at all because I'd just get grabbed.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Skullgirls Twitter posted:

@SE_Sauvie We're headed to GameTrailers in an hour to record Ms. Fortune's debut!
:woop: Hopefully we'll get something later today or even tomorrow. I've been on a total Skullgirls binge. I've been digging through tons of old design documents and old rear end Livejournal accounts looking up stuff from the way past. There's like a dozen other characters planned for Skullgirls that are no more than a few sketches.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bebopaloobop posted:

Here's the archived stream on Youtube. Lot of blackscreen inbetween matches and some trouble spectating on GGPO, couldn't edit it out because doing video editing on FLVs is a bitch and finding a way to convert it to something without losing sync on the audio is impossible. Also some framerate issues because I forgot to change a setting before going live and nobody told me it was lagging.

Vega is really one of hondas best matchups. Once you get s knockdown on vega you should be able to keep pressure on him until he dies, or turtle him out, either way. If you see him walldiving, do jump back jab early to knock him away. Just remember that once you have advantage vega can't do anything to scare you. Learn how to doubletap with two fingers on a single button so you can maximize hands usage. If you're using n.honda, the best button for hands is mp, do it fast enough and you'll just whiff one quick s.mp and move forward with hands. Hit me up on aim or irc if you want to talk st honda.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Honda can just sit in the corner with stored ochio and jab headbutt, it's pretty hard for Claw to deal with.

Random walldive not as a meaty or a punish should never work really. To AA Claw walldive you have to look at Claw's trajectory to the wall and AA him appropriately. Midscreen or further, if he goes toward your wall, you can jump and fierce him before he can touch the wall, so he can't do anything about it. If he's going to his wall, you can look to AA jab headbutt or get out of the situation. In your corner, if he goes to your wall, you can still jump back or up and hit him before he touches the wall. If he's going opposite screen, he has so far to go that you can strong headbutt or jump forward and take the wall away from him so he never goes off of it. If you have him in the corner, you can watch for walldive just like you would for him to jump out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bebopaloobop posted:

Cool tip for dudes watching this video: You can skip from like 3:20 to about 5:20. Trust me on that.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

systran posted:

I'm finally trying to put some actual effort into ST. I played it a while back and used Fei, but then I stopped and then whenever someone randomly had it running at a meetup I would play and use Boxer because he was so easy to use. I'm started to learn Honda now because he actually seems fun, had fun playing with him so far except when I went up against Claw who I swear breaks everything fun about this game at least until I learn the matchups against him I guess.

I don't really understand his character design and why his wall dive moves work well even without a knockdown. It seemed like if he did one randomly while I was standing I could headbutt to just dodge it, get away, and build meter (reset the situation basically), and if I tried to butt slam I'd usually just get hit and sometimes trade. I tried to anti-air it with j. fierce but that didn't seem to work at all because I'd just get grabbed.

Consider Claw as "that guy", the truth is that even when you learn what makes that match difficult for Claw, you must still account for the fact that his jump back HP and myriad of other options kind of make the match more of a stalemate at times than anything else.

So, yeah, being that Claw is basically "That guy" in some cases, know that he isn't unstoppable. He'll definitely be a proving ground for a lot of players, and really I try not to play the match that much unless I'm wanting to train for it. In which case I just play a good friend of mine and suffer for a few hours. Unless you plan on being super competitive with Super Turbo, I say just learn the game and enjoy how good it is and consider Claw that caveat conversation folks seem to bring up about all fighting games.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 5, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Bebopaloobop posted:

I love the part where I almost near-perfected DeeJay (53:16) and then cracked and got destroyed. Seriously, I could've thrown one fireball and won. :ughh:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Cross posting from the SF4 thread:

:regd08: OH LOOK loving GOON TOURNAMENTS FOR SF4 STARTING UP AGAIN!!! :regd08:

MONDAY, OCTOBER 10TH and we're running this junk on PC AND Xbox how mothershitting dope is THAT?

YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR BOTH, THAT'S COOL. We're running them simultaneously but I don't anticipate having any problems just because someone is signed up for both. You're gonna be in IRC either way and god forbid your Xbox is another room and you have to walk there and plug in your stick like some kind of goddamned neanderthal.

Rules and poo poo (including IRC info) are on the sign-up page.

Gonna try to get goons to stream both tournies if I can! Should be super hype! Worst case scenario we'll probably only have one stream :ohnoes:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
New Japanese ST vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hUxpfuYew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax2-O7fU8J8

XSPR is a super old school USA player, his Sim is pretty unique.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-miss-skullgirls/721769

Miss Fortune walkthrough. She's pretty awesome in her own ways. Not at all what I was expecting, and as the video goes on it gets more and move obvious how powerful she is.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Broken Loose posted:

Miss Fortune walkthrough. She's pretty awesome in her own ways. Not at all what I was expecting, and as the video goes on it gets more and move obvious how powerful she is.

Honestly if you're not hype for this game at this point and you are for like, SFxT or UMvC3 what the gently caress is wrong with you.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Broken Loose posted:

:holymoley: this is gonna own

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Broken Loose posted:

This owns. Mike Z and Co. own. This is the new Marvel.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Gamest Mook posted:

Honestly if you're not hype for this game at this point and you are for like, SFxT or UMvC3 what the gently caress is wrong with you.

I am hype for all things because I am hopelessly optimistic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing which dampens my hype is the knowledge that I will never be good enough to be able to play it at any level above "Just barely not mashing buttons." I can already write Ms. Fortune off the list of characters to try for that reason.

I like that Parasoul color scheme in the video, though.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm actually looking forward to playing Cerebella because I can finally use a grappler that's (relatively) easy to use on keyboard.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Holy poo poo Miss Fortune looks insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
HD version is up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-ms-skullgirls/721769

• Locked thread