Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CyanideRush posted:

So I just buy this repair box once and can repair myself infinitely at bonfires?

Correct. It costs souls to do repairs mind you, but if you repair every time you reach a bonfire it's like, 4~10 souls per item. Whereas if you wait til you have time/inclination to reach a blacksmith it could end up be like 50 or even 100 for an item. There's much more gear like this in the game which makes more sense to me. The Homeward Bone and other tiny magical trinket type things are consumable but the stuff that's like, a physical tool you generally just get one and are good to go.

Speaking of which, stuff is definitely much lighter here than in Demon's Souls, which is awesome since I find myself actually carrying and switching between different stuff all the time instead of just rolling in with a halberd everywhere. The different forward+R2 and kick moves are so awesome. If you use the scimitar the kick move both phases an enemy AND lets you do a backflip, I love it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Haha, you deserve this.

Hahaha. I've quit the game out of rage 4 or 5 times now, but I never do it by pressing the power button, and I'm not trying to cheat I'm just boiling with anger.

I always quit the game, or switch off the console, via the XMB. I hope I'm not risking my save file by doing this... :/

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any way to get at that corpse up the crumbling stairs in the tutorial area? It is taunting me, but I can't climb up there.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Is there anything that can "screw you over" in some way while playing online? I mean in the sense that in DeS, the World Tendency could shift pretty easily. I mostly played offline for this reason, but it seems like there will be a lot of interesting online stuff in Dark Souls and I don't want to miss out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there any way to get at that corpse up the crumbling stairs in the tutorial area? It is taunting me, but I can't climb up there.

Do a search, I forget which page it's on here but there's a convoluted way to have your avian friend fly you back to the Undead Asylum later on.

Big L posted:

Is there anything that can "screw you over" in some way while playing online? I mean in the sense that in DeS, the World Tendency could shift pretty easily. I mostly played offline for this reason, but it seems like there will be a lot of interesting online stuff in Dark Souls and I don't want to miss out.

World Tendency is completely gone. The color of the phantoms and type can help you denote what's going on though, like if you're being hunted down for breaking a covenant by the computer or a live player, etc. I'm sure griefing-specific builds will appear as more people play the game but for not just "relax" and enjoy. :)

For single player, there's no real screw-overs either except that some equipment can only be had by attacking certain parts of bosses and sub-bosses. So once you learn a boss enough that you're ready to kill it you might want to double check the wiki to make sure you're not missing anything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 4, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Does it give you a big message if you break a convenant?

It'd be neat if you had no idea you just broke one and suddenly Purple Phantoms out of loving nowhere!

Edit: Spelling

Draven fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Want this game so bad! Canceled my not-yet-shipped Amazon order, will be getting it at Gamestop tonight.

Now, what class to play...someone earlier said a Knight can get a lightning bolt spell/miracle? Seems like a good idea...my first class in Demon Souls was a Royal, but I rarely spammed my spells, only at the occasional enemy giving me a hard time, or when I was trying to kill things I shouldn't have been yet (like that drat Red Eye Knight in world 1-1.) Most of the time I tried to go in with a longsword or, in tight locales, a rapier.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Smelly posted:

Does it give you a big message if you break a convenant?

It'd be neat if you had no idea you just broke one and suddenly Purple Phantoms out of loving nowhere!

I wish I was far enough to know this, I haven't joined any covenant yet they're all so awesome, but I don't want to pay that demon $$$ to leave one without reprisal.

I'm hoping that the purple phantoms load up and appear, like, the second you break it like the death eaters in later Harry Potter books or something.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What is the little gauge that comes up while fighting skeletons?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Want this game so bad! Canceled my not-yet-shipped Amazon order, will be getting it at Gamestop tonight.

Now, what class to play...someone earlier said a Knight can get a lightning bolt spell/miracle? Seems like a good idea...my first class in Demon Souls was a Royal, but I rarely spammed my spells, only at the occasional enemy giving me a hard time, or when I was trying to kill things I shouldn't have been yet (like that drat Red Eye Knight in world 1-1.) Most of the time I tried to go in with a longsword or, in tight locales, a rapier.

Anyone can get that miracle and no one starts with it. I think knight is a decent starting class for a faith based build though.

Darth Windu posted:

I think if it fills up you get the bleeding status effect. Speaking of which, I don't think that ever happened to me in Demon's.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Well I just contacted Amazon because my order was still showing as shipping soon and it is 8AM over here. Glad I did because it turns out that the order was actually not going to ship today. I just canceled it because I really don't care about an art book and will be going to Walmart or something to pick it up now.
If your order is in a similar status you may want to hit up their live chat and check to make sure everything is ok if you actually care about getting it today.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

God I feel stupid. I've run through the very first loving area (Undead Burg) like ten times, I've gotten past the dragon by going the lower route, and then I can't find a bonfire, I can just see one through a gate that I think I had to go the upper way to get to. What the gently caress.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The little bar that pops up is your resistance to status effects. The higher the resistance, the bigger the bar is. It's super useful, because now you can see how long you can stay in a poison swamp before being poisoned, for example.

Emron posted:

God I feel stupid. I've run through the very first loving area (Undead Burg) like ten times, I've gotten past the dragon by going the lower route, and then I can't find a bonfire.

Hahaha, when you go down the staircase to get below the dragon, have a look around.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

UPS delivered my Amazon Collector's Edition early. There are 2 stickers/seals on the top and bottom of the tin case attached to a plastic sleeve. Removing them left some sticky white stuff residue on the tin case even after using a hair dryer. Gonna scrub it later. :mad:

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Anyone noticed an increase in 2-handed swing speed with higher strength? The wiki is saying it's unconfirmed at the moment but there might be a slight increase at 20 strength then again at 30.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

Ledneh posted:

Yep Amazon just refunded me a whole ninety nine cents for failing to ship today, and now when I try to cancel it says "We're sorry. An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Please try again in a few minutes."

Of course it's been an hour, and I've got to go to work, so by the time I get home (scheduled early, to play Dark Souls :downs: ), it will claim to have shipped

Real slick, Amazon, real goddamn slick t:mad:

Same here. I'm upset that I pre-ordered two other games through Amazon. Never again! They're 0/3 for me for getting release date delivery games on time.

Edit: Just read through the OP, and didn't see anything, but perhaps I missed it. Does this game still have the world tendency stuff where you have the play the game in soul form to make sure a death isn't going to turn the world black and thus prevent it from being full-white?

Fitret fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 4, 2011

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
gently caress, none of the gamestops near me got a copy of the strategy guide, nor are they getting any. Also amazon already says its out of print, and the big bookstore here chapters is not getting any.

Is there any other way to get it?

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

Rhadamanthus posted:

:woop: Guess whose Gamestop lied about having a midnight release! :woop:

:woop: Guess who had this fact work in his favor when he told this very same Gamestop that he canceled his Amazon CE! :woop:

edit for clarity: they gave me their only CE 'cause I complained.

Rhadamanthus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 4, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Fitret posted:

Edit: Just read through the OP, and didn't see anything, but perhaps I missed it. Does this game still have the world tendency stuff where you have the play the game in soul form to make sure a death isn't going to turn the world black and thus prevent it from being full-white?

No, tendency is entirely replaced by living/undead and the covenant system. Some covenants don't like you being a zombie, some do.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Ralconn posted:

Well I just contacted Amazon because my order was still showing as shipping soon and it is 8AM over here. Glad I did because it turns out that the order was actually not going to ship today. I just canceled it because I really don't care about an art book and will be going to Walmart or something to pick it up now.
If your order is in a similar status you may want to hit up their live chat and check to make sure everything is ok if you actually care about getting it today.

I did the same, my CS guy credited 5 bucks to my Amazon account since I can't cancel--it'd cost me more money to drive into the city and pick it up than to just wait an extra day. :\

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Gyoru posted:

UPS delivered my Amazon Collector's Edition early. There are 2 stickers/seals on the top and bottom of the tin case attached to a plastic sleeve. Removing them left some sticky white stuff residue on the tin case even after using a hair dryer. Gonna scrub it later. :mad:

Spray it with some Goo Gone and let it sit for a minute. poo poo comes right off. Of course, then you have to wipe everything down again to remove the citrus oil sheen.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
My order doesn't even say "Shipping soon" just "not yet shipped." Preordered on the 21st. Probably just gonna wait it out though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Their weapons are dipped in poison. The gauges show your resistance to poison, plague and such. If you get hit enough times that it fills up then you get whatever status effect the weapon has on it.

If anyone is worried about the sticker residue on their case, remember the case is (albeit cheap) metal. Use formula 409 or a tile cleaner to get the stuff off instead of goo gone, it will take a few more minutes to let it sit but not leave any extra sheen/oil/whatever on it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 4, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Baggot posted:

Spray it with some Goo Gone and let it sit for a minute. poo poo comes right off. Of course, then you have to wipe everything down again to remove the citrus oil sheen.

I scrubbed it down with some rubbing alcohol earlier and it's gone now. :)

1337_CroniX
Nov 22, 2005
The Warrior Of Ruin
While I wait 1 more day till the Australian release date, I've got 2 kind of random questions that have been bugging me for a while now.

1)Is the netplay global? If I buy the Aus PAL version can I still invade, get help from etc. US/Japanese/European players or is it only Aussies?

2)In a PVP video I was watching the players character had a shield in their left hand and held a sword over their right shoulder instead of the default stance. How do you do this? This is the video for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumI_I4jeTM

Can't wait for this game, I've convinced all my friends to pick it up too so we can all die together :3:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
1) It apparently is, this time! It wasn't in Demon's Souls.

2) That's a characteristic of sword size. Larger swords can't be held at your side and will always rest on your shoulder... including the TRULY HUGE swords.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I started the game as a sorcerer, and just beat the dragon boss in the tutorial (pretty easy) and I haven't been able to use my spell. How do I use it/when am I able to?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

TheQat posted:

My order doesn't even say "Shipping soon" just "not yet shipped." Preordered on the 21st. Probably just gonna wait it out though

Same day, same scenario here. Pretty disappointing but I guess I'll deal with it. I really wanted to grab the guide too with my next paycheck, sucks that it's out of stock. I'm hoping my local GS will have it then.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Funkmaster General posted:

The game runs perfectly smoothly, even not installed.

Can anyone else with the 360 version chime in on their experience with this and if they're installed or not? I'm getting lots of slowdown and I'm wondering if it's maybe better optimized to not be installed or something. Seems some people have the issue and some don't.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy poo poo. Now I can't even get past the dragon. The first time I did it, I just ran all the way through, and somehow survived the flame, since you can't time it like you did in Demon's Souls. Now, I just get roasted no matter what happens, and I'm not doing anything different.

This game is making me feel like an idiot and I love it.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
This games trash mobs are definitely tougher. I have the hardest time with the simplest of enemies. Question regarding the area right after the first non tutorial boss. So I killed that boar, and I was able to get up to the other side of that gate and hit the switch thinking and seeing that it was opening and giving me a "HOORAY!" Checkpoint...then I died horribly. When I came back, to my surprise the boar was dead but the gate was closed. I spent the next 2 hours trying to get back to it. I got incredibly lucky my first time through apparently because these assholes with the capes are loving me up hardcore. Am I missing something? Shouldn't that gate be open? Also, is there an easier way to kill these guys with capes?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Neo Rasa posted:

Their weapons are dipped in poison. The gauges show your resistance to poison, plague and such. If you get hit enough times that it fills up then you get whatever status effect the weapon has on it.

If anyone is worried about the sticker residue on their case, remember the case is (albeit cheap) metal. Use formula 409 or a tile cleaner to get the stuff off instead of goo gone, it will take a few more minutes to let it sit but not leave any extra sheen/oil/whatever on it.

No no, It's bleeding, though with skeletons you usually wont get that far, you'll kill them or die first. Poison is noticeably more......effective.The bloodsplat is bleeding, light drop is poison, dark is -deadly- poison, and a skull means quit loving with the cursed frogs or you'll die and be cursed and have to pay a few (4-8?)k souls to have it fixed. :smug:

Edit:

Loofa08 posted:

This games trash mobs are definitely tougher. I have the hardest time with the simplest of enemies. Question regarding the area right after the first non tutorial boss. So I killed that boar, and I was able to get up to the other side of that gate and hit the switch thinking and seeing that it was opening and giving me a "HOORAY!" Checkpoint...then I died horribly. When I came back, to my surprise the boar was dead but the gate was closed. I spent the next 2 hours trying to get back to it. I got incredibly lucky my first time through apparently because these assholes with the capes are loving me up hardcore. Am I missing something? Shouldn't that gate be open? Also, is there an easier way to kill these guys with capes?

The guys are closing the gate on you. Ask Sanders he figured it out (in the thread) first. :3:

Talran fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 4, 2011

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

doomfunk posted:

1) It apparently is, this time! It wasn't in Demon's Souls.

2) That's a characteristic of sword size. Larger swords can't be held at your side and will always rest on your shoulder... including the TRULY HUGE swords.

Just to add to 1) a little bit, Demon's Souls was published by Sony in Japan, Atlus in the US, and Namco Bandai in Europe(not sure about Aus), this time around Namco Bandai is publishing in all regions but Japan which is being handled by From Software(the developers).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Talran posted:

:smug:

Oh okay. :)

Loofa08 posted:

Am I missing something? Shouldn't that gate be open? Also, is there an easier way to kill these guys with capes?

For that enemy, wait until they assume a defensive stance (they'll hold their weapon straight out ready to parry), get a bit of distance and then do the forward+R2 jumping attack. This will stun them for a second and you can follow up and even stunlock them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So apparently I'm a moron and (early game) locked myself out of the undead parish with the portcullis right where you fight the armored boar. Is there any way to get back in?

Edit:

Emrom posted:

Holy poo poo. Now I can't even get past the dragon.

What worked for me is ignoring your gut feeling to run at full tilt past the dragon, and just walk, shield up. Dragon never bothered attacking

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 4, 2011

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nigulus Rex posted:

I started the game as a sorcerer, and just beat the dragon boss in the tutorial (pretty easy) and I haven't been able to use my spell. How do I use it/when am I able to?

I started as a Pyromancer and got a "hand of flame" or whatever it was called right before the Asylum Demon, which let me use my Fireball spell. I would think they'd make sure you had all your basic equipment before letting you leave the Asylum, but maybe not? (I'm assuming you're talking about the Asylum as the tutorial?)

Also, I'm just kind of sitting around grinding up souls in the Undead Burg to get some basic equipment like the Key, Repair Kit, and a Heater Shield. 5000 souls is a lot of money when most kills only get 20 or 30 souls, and that's before possibly getting a couple levels. :( At least it's really easy to make everything respawn, and I get to heal and top off the flask at the same time.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hrm, I wonder why my copy of the Dark Souls guide hasn't shipped? I mean the amazon page says it releases on the 4th right? Let me che-

Amazon posted:

Out of Print--Limited Availability.

WELP :stare:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Artix74 posted:

I started as a Pyromancer and got a "hand of flame" or whatever it was called right before the Asylum Demon, which let me use my Fireball spell. I would think they'd make sure you had all your basic equipment before letting you leave the Asylum, but maybe not? (I'm assuming you're talking about the Asylum as the tutorial?)

Also, I'm just kind of sitting around grinding up souls in the Undead Burg to get some basic equipment like the Key, Repair Kit, and a Heater Shield. 5000 souls is a lot of money when most kills only get 20 or 30 souls, and that's before possibly getting a couple levels. :( At least it's really easy to make everything respawn, and I get to heal and top off the flask at the same time.

Well I don't know how to cast that spell. It's in the "up" slot on my d pad as default but I can't cast it (unless I'm doing it wrong?) I really could use some help...

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm, I wonder why my copy of the Dark Souls guide hasn't shipped? I mean the amazon page says it releases on the 4th right? Let me che-

WELP :stare:

The bad news is also good news. Congrats From!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nigulus Rex posted:

Well I don't know how to cast that spell. It's in the "up" slot on my d pad as default but I can't cast it (unless I'm doing it wrong?) I really could use some help...

You need the equipment first. I couldn't use it until I got the Hand of Fire or whatever, and when I equipped that it became usable. It's like the catalysts in Demon's Souls.

• Locked thread