Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So has anyone had their pre-order ship from Newegg yet? My status still says "On Hold," I'm worried I might not get it until next week :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes. I think you done hosed up.

Hahaha, well, I killed him and got The Book of the Guilty Anyway, so I think I might be okay??

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
250 new posts :stare:

Things are getting reaaaally spoilery up in here so I'm going to try and stay away until I get the game in my hands. :ohdear: Good luck with the souls, everyone

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
My copy finally arrived. Installing to my 360 right now.

I haven't bought a game in 5 months. I have just been waiting. I'm gonna die

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Christ. I'm playing as a Bandit and I'm having a grand old hard time with the skeletons in the graveyard at the starting bonfire after the tutorial.

I can't seem to get the timing right on parries. :psyduck:

Also, these undead souls that I pick up from corpses. I should only be using them when I'm going to level up something, right?

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

Hahaha, well, I killed him and got The Book of the Guilty Anyway, so I think I might be okay??
He has three other functions that I know of: removing you from covenants, paying to have your guilt lessened, and selling anti-curse items (for 4000 souls each though). The first two are unique to him, I believe.

edit: You really shouldn't go around attacking people who are just standing there. The game doesn't do anything to prevent you from killing even the most important NPCs. Also not all important NPCs are human.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 4, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

YorexTheMad posted:

One of the white phantoms had a spear that absolutely murdered all the preboss monsters and took out the boss in 2 or 3 hits. I'm not sure if I'm crazy underleveled, he was crazy overgeared, or if there's already some kind of item exploit out in the wild.

He probably spent a lot of time grinding souls and jacking up a weapon with upgrades, while leaving his soul level low. I remember stepping into people's games in Demon's Souls at SL 12 and killing the Tower Knight in one knockdown using a weapon that I dumped ludicrous amounts of souls and hardstone into. Considering most people run around with unupgraded vanilla weapons they got off a merchant, the disparity in effectiveness can be pretty staggering.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
If you're used to demon's souls, the enemies in this game will throw you off. I'm still not used to how enemies turn toward you as they're swinging down their attack. Bosses do this too, and it's just brutal for me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Darth Windu posted:

Thank you, whoever put a "sniper spot" and "weakness: tail" near the dragon. Thank you. Thank you. God bless you and keep you.

You're welcome. :)

Seriously the framerate is Blightown is rough as hell. Is this something that they can patch out? So far its the only negative thing I have to say.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

He has three other functions that I know of: removing you from covenants, paying to have your guilt lessened, and selling anti-curse items (for 4000 souls each though). The first two are unique to him, I believe.

edit: You really shouldn't go around attacking people who are just standing there. The game doesn't do anything to prevent you from killing even the most important NPCs. Also not all important NPCs are human.

Look man, I thought he was a statue at first. He was standing really still, I was descending the ladder, and I figured I had missed him on the way up since it was a small room. Whatever, I got TWO twin humanities from him, gently caress that guy.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Who Dat posted:

Christ. I'm playing as a Bandit and I'm having a grand old hard time with the skeletons in the graveyard at the starting bonfire after the tutorial.

I can't seem to get the timing right on parries. :psyduck:

Also, these undead souls that I pick up from corpses. I should only be using them when I'm going to level up something, right?

I just went the other way because clearly those two skeletons are there to make a point of how you are not supposed to go that way early in the game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

This game is so loving hardcore that my brakes just went out on the way home from picking it up. It's trying to kill me before I've even opened the game.

No kidding, my wife had the car today and she grabbed the game when she left to get me. We almost got into an accident on the way home because some dick spaced out behind the wheel and was headed straight towards us.

I didn't know prepare to die meant my actual life. :ohdear:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I decided to grab the strategy guide, and I must say this is a thing of loving beauty. It's hardback (25 bucks), well very structured and polished as far as a visual physical product goes.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Getting this game is a definite for me, but getting around to playing it...

In any case, a number of CE's are sitting in the Gamestop, and they're going to be calling to confirm or deny pickup, so I might get me one without a preorder. Got the guide while I was there, though. Not going to open it just yet.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
For people wondering wether or not to install:

I got my copy today for the 360. I've been playing all afternoon with no issues. There was one time early on when I entered a new area, and the framerate got a little clunky for about three seconds, but not anywhere near enough for me to say "I need to install this on my HD!".

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Maybe I should have picked Pyromancer rather than Sorcerer. I'm stuck at the first bonfire in the undead place.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What stat should I upgrade to use the bow?

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

der juicen posted:

Maybe I should have picked Pyromancer rather than Sorcerer. I'm stuck at the first bonfire in the undead place.

How are the controls working for you?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

der juicen posted:

Just so you know, the entire game is "the undead place".

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
gently caress the Iron Golem, by all rights I should I have killed this prick by my third go. Except it's really easy to fall off with the camera always focusing on the boss and never showing you your footing, and his attack where he picks you up and slams you into the ground is a bit loving cheap since he can pick you up even if you're clearly a ways out of the reach of his hand.

This time, you big metal prick.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Has anyone else had the big gate shortcut behind the boar randomly closed on them again for no reason?

Binbin
Jul 15, 2003

Welp this game is great but locks up like every 15 minutes, rendering it unplayable. I read about the problems it had with freezing online so I tried playing offline, but to no avail. The only other time Ive ever had hard locking problems was with red dead, but red dead was also extremely buggy. Is anyone else having this problem or is my PS3 preparing to die?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

First time playing this type of game and boy am I getting wrecked. Currently stuck trying to beat Some black knight looking person on top of tower after the dragon bridge Did I pick the wrong way to go I'm having my doubts on this path. To top it all off I still haven't seen any of these merchants or repair guys that I see you talking about. I wanted to buy some arrows to shoot that dragon's tail but I still haven't found a vendor

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skunk Ape posted:

Has anyone else had the big gate shortcut behind the boar randomly closed on them again for no reason?
Look carefully, one of the enemies is seeing you, running through the gate, and closing it from the other side.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

So I think I'm on the path to ring the cathedral bell but there's some big rear end in a top hat with a pitchfork who keeps spawning enchanted zombies or something, and even if I manage to lure enough of them away to approach, he one shots me. I'm pretty sure I have to take him out, because if I go forward he shoots me with soul arrows. What am I missing here?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Picked this up from kart as they give you a $20 instore credit for buying there to use within the next two months.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that you have to be a club member, and I just wanted to get home and play so I didn't sign up at the store. No $20 credit for me :( I haven't even unwrapped the game yet and it already kicked my rear end.

Trimangle
Dec 4, 2004
Front de Libération de Québec
For any of those that haven't bought it or pre-ordered it yet. In Canada, futureshop is giving out a 10 dollar gift-card when you purchase this and you also get 10 dollars off Skyrim when it comes out with the receipt. Not sure how that compares to other deals out there but I thought that it wasn't bad.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009
This game trolled me into rolling off a cliff. Almost half a dozen times. Like an idiot I kept trying to figure out how to jump and failing, and sometimes dying to skeletons in the area. Looks like I need to track down the guide.

On the bright side, I made one fine looking horse-woman with bright purple hair. :wink:

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I contacted Amazon in the nicest way I could muster why in the gently caress my copy, which I ordered almost a month ago hasn't been delivered OR shipped. He blamed the manufacturer. They can't even make copies fast enough apparently. :effort:

It's supposed to be here tomorrow.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The Wise Teen posted:

So I think I'm on the path to ring the cathedral bell but there's some big rear end in a top hat with a pitchfork who keeps spawning enchanted zombies or something, and even if I manage to lure enough of them away to approach, he one shots me. I'm pretty sure I have to take him out, because if I go forward he shoots me with soul arrows. What am I missing here?

You aren't missing anything. I didn't have any problem killing him, but he also didn't shoot any soul arrows at me. He just did some kind of buff to the zombies. I ran up close to him, maybe that forced him into melee mode? Block his attacks and then smash him up. I used a +3 spear, dunno what you have or whether that happened to be the best choice or what.

Also, what is the easiest way to intentionally gain humanity? I keep getting some when I don't particularly need it but I need some now to become human and get help with the bell gargoyles.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Rakanakle posted:

How are the controls working for you?

I chill back and range them for the most part, and roll. A lot. It's working alright though. I might try hunter for range and attack though, I run out of my spell too quickly.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I just killed the two black knights in the burg and the parish.

Oh my god the weapon they drop is amazing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

keyframe posted:

I just went the other way because clearly those two skeletons are there to make a point of how you are not supposed to go that way early in the game.

If you get a mace/club (and there should be one hidden nearby) the skeletons are a joke. Just keep heavy attacking them and they'll fall down, so you run up and heavy attack one, then the other and keep doing it right as they put their heads back on, or kick them off the cliff. Of course they still can kill you in a combo or two and drop no souls.

On the topic of controls, I like them for the most part but I have noticed one thing that kinda irritates me, when locked on to an enemy all of my roles seem to be towards the enemy. Like even if I hold a side direction instead of rolling left I roll forward left.

It also seems like more playstyles are supported. In addition to the talk about heavy armor being more viable most shields seem to block 100% physical, and some shields seem more forgiving about the parry timing/animation. Of course you still get wrecked if you miss it.

Also since someone asked:
No the soundtrack names do not spoil anything, except for the names for a few NPCs.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Leaf Lock posted:

I contacted Amazon in the nicest way I could muster why in the gently caress my copy, which I ordered almost a month ago hasn't been delivered OR shipped. He blamed the manufacturer. They can't even make copies fast enough apparently. :effort:

It's supposed to be here tomorrow.

Was your estimated deliver date today?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just taught the Iron Golem a loving lesson.

Wow, this game world really is loving gorgeous, and it's size, scope and detail are just stunning.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

der juicen posted:

I'm thinking the opposite. Fireball is complete poo poo, the range is absolutely pathetic as is the splash damage radius (they have to be on top of each other) and you only start out with 8.

So, how do you get past the Taurus boss? That bridge doesn't give me much room to maneuver and I always get stuck on the boss when I try to pass him. I'm getting loving tired of running through the gauntlet of annoying firebomb undead.

I think I prefer Demon's Souls to this one so far. The controls feel worse and the character is more clunky. There are too many recover frames in anything you do compared to the enemies - which are numerous and have no friendly fire whatsoever. This game also has a horrible habit of queuing up my commands so a quick tap of double dodge in a panic situation means I dodge twice or attack twice

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
So, should I be buying this on PS3 or 360?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Well I found a merchant to buy from but is there one to sell too?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Jimbot posted:

So, how do you get past the Taurus boss? That bridge doesn't give me much room to maneuver and I always get stuck on the boss when I try to pass him.

Two easymode ways to kill him:
1) Keep running back to the ladder, climbing up, and fall-stabbing him in the face. This will require that you lure him away a little bit and then running around him, which you said you have problems with, though.
2) Lure him backward to the gap in the bridge railing and trick him into sidestepping off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Finally beat the first boss. Spent way too much time thinking I could get it to topple the roof on itself. Figure it out, walk out feeling like a complete badass only to find a the real Demon's Souls starts here moment.

This is what I signed up for.

• Locked thread