Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
p00p
Jul 17, 2005
There's a really great french label putting out classic sounding house tunes -- My Love Is Underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhncbP63Cc

So retro but so fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

p00p posted:

There's a really great french label putting out classic sounding house tunes -- My Love Is Underground.

So retro but so fresh.

Fresh indeed.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

p00p posted:

So retro but so fresh.

drat this is fantastic, major flashbacks to the likes of classic Kerri Chandler.

e: And also seriously folks, new Zed Bias album is pure amazing. Buy it now!

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 27, 2011

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Alex Nut + DJ Crises show on Rinse was fire today, if you dig deep dubby roots vibes do yourself a favour and get the podcast.

Related, this Mavado + Serani remix they played is a mad ting: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=JAH004 Anyone know where I can find it?

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
nvm, repost

unknown poster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 28, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Alex Nut + DJ Crises show on Rinse was fire today, if you dig deep dubby roots vibes do yourself a favour and get the podcast.

Related, this Mavado + Serani remix they played is a mad ting: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=JAH004 Anyone know where I can find it?

That's an old(ish) Kromestar bootleg so you'll probably not find it in any store anymore, though Discogs has a copy for sale for not much more than the original retail.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Here's a new Mosca track. Different than his last release, but I like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097BVAezbhw

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
Really digging the new Scuba(heard it in just about every mix i've listened to in the last few weeks).
Definitely a lot.....sunnier than his usual stuff?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

psychicsecession posted:

Really digging the new Scuba(heard it in just about every mix i've listened to in the last few weeks).
Definitely a lot.....sunnier than his usual stuff?

Scuba has really been soaking up those Berlin influences since he moved there a few years ago, very Techno-y. I know what you mean by sunnier though, but it's also a kinda literal thing as well, this kind of music definitely seems to go hand in hand with the seasons/weather. When the seasons change the mood of the music changes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Speaking of Scuba, managed to grab a test press of his new SCB stuff (hat tip to infinity2005 for the Surus rec, also picked up a dBridge test press that I'm even more pleased with). I figured he'd keep his techno-oriented material to that moniker but... Yeah, guess Berlin does that to you! "Adrenalin" definitely has a much brighter feel to it.

stationlost
Nov 27, 2010
Anyone catch the Chef show last night? had Loefah and Coki on!

Coki played this sick tune with a P Money accapella over it:

http://soundcloud.com/y-u-8/coki-dubstep-vs-pow-2011

That is Coki's soundcloud btw, he posts WIPs every once in a while, although i'm pretty sure a few of the songs on there are just jokes...like the macarena remix haha

Also I literally can not not buy Blawan tunes. I think I own all of them, and now he has started a record label with Pariah for their Karenn project. My wallet isn't going to be happy.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Went and saw Skrillex last night, one of the best shows I've been to in a while. My ears are still ringing and I wish I had a time machine to go back to the start.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Man this Pangaea track, I don't know why I haven't paid attention to a lot of his stuff previously, but Hex is a jam.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Went and saw Skrillex last night, one of the best shows I've been to in a while. My ears are still ringing and I wish I had a time machine to go back to the start.

Same.

Martyn's new LP is good, especially the last track on the album.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Dramatika posted:

This weekend is going to kick rear end... seeing Brenmar on Friday and Breakage on Saturday. Really excited about seeing Brenmar, I love his poo poo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-yqXMy-F4

Video is awesome too.

crazy track, really wish i didn't miss his show here a couple weeks ago. looks like he just posted a new song from his upcoming ep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqVWwvaAac

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

a milk crime posted:

Man this Pangaea track, I don't know why I haven't paid attention to a lot of his stuff previously, but Hex is a jam.

Been stuck in my head since I saw him almost two weeks ago. I can't wait for my copy to get here.

http://fadetomind.net/#mix-001-prince-william
Fade To Mind mix out by the label head that's not Kingdom. There are some really cool tracks on here. It's got a pretty serious night slugs feel but considering they're sister labels and almost all the tracks are night slugs artists, that's not too surprising. Some cool grimey stuff in there too- I hope Bok Bok does more of those.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
After finding the Linkwood Family and going through the Firecracker releases I found a track for all you goons out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwTZXc6rdc

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

JamesKPolk posted:

http://fadetomind.net/#mix-001-prince-william
Fade To Mind mix out by the label head that's not Kingdom. There are some really cool tracks on here. It's got a pretty serious night slugs feel but considering they're sister labels and almost all the tracks are night slugs artists, that's not too surprising. Some cool grimey stuff in there too- I hope Bok Bok does more of those.

Listened to the mix today. Great track selection. Love the Mike Q tracks. Some of the mixing near the end wasn't too great, but it's forgivable (lots of clashing low end!!! "wow this totes ruins an entire party!!!" - not me).

I hope anyone in LA is going tomorrow night to see the Fade to Mind show, btw. Should be great: Kingdom, Girl Unit, Bok Bok, the Nguzus, Prince William, Total Freedom (who is totally slept on, btw - he's great).

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I was at the Dallas show and agree, but I honestly think that 12th Planet outdid Skrillex. His set was sick and that dude knew how to get the crowd goin. Throwin out basslines that gave me the ability to feel every corner of my sinus cavity. Foreign Beggars got me pretty excited too, I didn't think I would get to see them play and promote Grime in Texas.

Not to say Skrillex was bad by any measure and that MoCap stage set was pretty awesome.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Foreign Beggars are UK Hip Hop.

EDIT: ANd they suck.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Foreign Beggars are UK Hip Hop.

Correct!

Foreign Beggars posted:

Alright how many of you out there know about Grime?

A fraction of the crowd cheers, they explain what it is, rap over some Grime and the show goes on. That's called promoting :eng101:

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Holy gently caress, y'all! I just heard this really amazing track from Submorphics called, "The Moment That Builds"...I am lovin' the hell out of it.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

HatchetDown posted:

I was at the Dallas show and agree, but I honestly think that 12th Planet outdid Skrillex. His set was sick and that dude knew how to get the crowd goin. Throwin out basslines that gave me the ability to feel every corner of my sinus cavity. Foreign Beggars got me pretty excited too, I didn't think I would get to see them play and promote Grime in Texas.

Not to say Skrillex was bad by any measure and that MoCap stage set was pretty awesome.

Was 12th Planet the guy right before Skrillex, cause I did enjoy the poo poo out of his set. I did not enjoy Foreign Beggars though, if that was the 3 guys rapping over bass lines, thought one or two songs were alright and the rest of the time I concentrated on getting drunk and looking at all the fine ladies.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
The new joker album is pretty good, but I think it would be WAY better without vocals. Apparently an instrumental version is going to be released, so that's a good thing. Nothing against vocals in dance music, but in this case, they're all rather poorly done and get in the way of the music.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Was 12th Planet the guy right before Skrillex, cause I did enjoy the poo poo out of his set. I did not enjoy Foreign Beggars though, if that was the 3 guys rapping over bass lines, thought one or two songs were alright and the rest of the time I concentrated on getting drunk and looking at all the fine ladies.

Yep that was him, and with ya on the ladies part. During 12th Planet's set this couple just started straight up banging. Not even all that gracefully either, like the world was about to end. So the DJ and/or the precise mixture of drugs they were on must've been doin somethin right. I did the sensible thing and gave him dap :mmmhmm::respek::huh:

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 1, 2011

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Number Two Stunna posted:

The new joker album is pretty good, but I think it would be WAY better without vocals. Apparently an instrumental version is going to be released, so that's a good thing. Nothing against vocals in dance music, but in this case, they're all rather poorly done and get in the way of the music.

I'm kind of disappointed by it, the best songs are ones I played out in early 2010. Need to give it more plays though, but my expectations were high.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

We made a new juke track, hope you dudes like it.

DJ CHUMP CHANGE + IBYSS - BANGIN IT

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/dj-chump-change-ibyss-bangin

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Anyone in the LA area get a chance to check out Eagle Rock last night? Surprised me for a free show, Low End Theory was bangin. Toki, FlyLo, Nosaj Thing, and D-Styles killed it. Heard some new Rustie, kinda surprised me. LA is finally catching up?

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Anyone know what the track on the latest Elijah + Skilliam podcast is that uses this sample?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

unterdude posted:

Anyone in the LA area get a chance to check out Eagle Rock last night? Surprised me for a free show, Low End Theory was bangin. Toki, FlyLo, Nosaj Thing, and D-Styles killed it. Heard some new Rustie, kinda surprised me. LA is finally catching up?

Was there too and loved it. Listen to the podcasts too if you're not already. Them and MAH are how I got into this music to begin with. They plaayed pretty much the while Rustie album across everyone's sets. Have newfound respect for Jonwayne too.

And I did stare down and shake my head at a guy for complaining about when Nosaj would just "drop the beat already."

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Ben UFO's Rinse mix is a lot more house-y than I thought it would be. It's really good, though, so check it out. High hopes for Elijah and Skilliam's!

EDIT: Gamest Mook, is it this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9CCTU1SPI&feature=related

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 3, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

air- posted:

Have newfound respect for Jonwayne too.
Jonwayne's full length is more enjoyable than those of any other Low End Theory-affiliated act.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Caught the Clicks & Whistles guys in DC on Saturday at U Hall, had a great time hearing them play that system. They had a full crowd too, really in to it. I wanted a couple track ID's, but didn't want to run up in the booth for a second time after saying hello.

If any of you have a chance to catch them, do so, fun times.

And if any of you are in DC, I'm playing U Hall this Thursday night.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

And if any of you are in DC, I'm playing U Hall this Thursday night.

I hear that is a great venue.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
Need some knowledge, guys! I'm pretty sure this tune came up earlier in the thread but I just can't find it.

Who can recognise the track that comes in at 00:10 of this fantastic Oneman vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79sCihyRgQ&feature=player_embedded

Yes, the part where he breaks into double gun fingers.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Symptomless Coma posted:

Need some knowledge, guys! I'm pretty sure this tune came up earlier in the thread but I just can't find it.

Who can recognise the track that comes in at 00:10 of this fantastic Oneman vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79sCihyRgQ&feature=player_embedded

Yes, the part where he breaks into double gun fingers.

On this page: Pangaea - Hex

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Good news folks, the next part of the UK Bass Guide is almost ready to drop. Almost, but not quite. After our brief stop over at Broken Beat Land we return to UK Garage with the next part, in particular the 2-Step sound of the late 90s/early 00s. And let me tell you it's shaping up to be the biggest yet. It's also been the hardest part to tracklist yet as well. Now I know I say that all the time, but I really mean it this time.

Now this era of UKG was really popular, with many compilations released, tunes in the charts etc. And it's also the part where I personally come into the scene as an new and avid listener and admirer. So I've really been trying to find some more obscure and lesser heard examples. Not exactly rare tracks mind you, more than a few come from the Locked On and Public Demand stables, but just some that you may not have heard before, as well as some that take me back to my youth, listening to my small handful tape packs and CDs, frantically trying to find and listen to more of this amazing music that seemed to be so exotic, powerful and mysterious. Music that seemed like it was made by total space aliens in some far off corner of the galaxy.

Anyway, of course as usual by the end it got fairly bloated, so sadly some bits had to be chopped off at the last minute. So here as a little treat for you guys, is a little segment I'm calling:

U.S. Alliance
"All I Know (Da Grunge Mix)"
(Locked On, 1998)

An early Dem 2 alias, and this mix is probably the most well known version of this particular tune. As good as the more 'normal' mixes of this tune are, this just blows them out the water. Dem 2 take a hatchet to the original, cutting off all the fat and leaving nothing but a skeletal framework of drum and bass. What more do you want really? Another thing this shows is Locked On's sneakiness at pointing out this is the mix to have, done by giving this an entire side all for itself. Now admittedly I would doubt that it's intentional, but still, it wouldn't be the first time Locked On gave the best (quite often hardest or less commercial) mix it's own side while sending the rest of the mixes to double up. Definitely one that was hard to cut, though I felt less bad once I remember this is a popular tune so it's not like it's disappearing back into the dungeon, never to be seen again.

Underground Solution
"Deep, Sweet, Love (2 Step Jazz Mix)"
(Sound Of Underground London Records, 1999)

Of all the tracks that I had to get rid of, this was the one that upset me the most. I utterly, utterly adore this single, and this mix especially. A sweet, soulful, laid back track with some divine vocals provided by Andrea Wright and a sax riff that doesn't overpower, pierces into the sonic landscape before evaporating away into nothingness before it returns again. Just perfect I'm telling you. One of those tracks that are just made for a post-club wind down session. Sadly that's the reason I left it out of the final tracklisting, it just didn't fit in with the mood of entire thing. But it's still way too good to be left out.

Partners In Crime
"Inside Out (Magical Passionate Dub Mix)"
(Quench Recordings, 1999)

Quench is sadly kind of forgotten about in the modern UKG world. An offshoot of Jungle big boys Suburban Base Records, it actually had a number of really good artists working with them, and a number of really good tracks released. But I guess standing in the shadow of Sub-Base is too hard a thing to escape from. Often the Quench stuff veered more into the 4/4 side of Garage - as can be found in the alternate mix of this track - but here we're into some nice skippy 2-Step that's definitely a bit more 'mature' sounding than a lot of later 2-Step tracks. While it was good enough to make it to the final rounds, when I had to think hard and make one final cut the tune perhaps was just lacking in that little something extra, that little bit of edge to keep it in the final list.

Ray Hurley
"The Real Thing (Sovereign's 24 Carat Dub)"
(Sweeter Groove, 2000)

No relation to Steve 'Silk' Hurley (though gently caress me would it be cool to hear him make UKG), this is Ray Hurley's first release on his own Sweeter Groove imprint, set up after a string of nice releases on the likes of Quench. Now Ray Hurley is a good producer, but the show here is stolen by Sovereign, who turns the track into a massive basslined, breakbeat beast. Shades of Grime (and Dubstep I guess) aplenty in this track, with it's general fast and attacking sounds. It's still just a bit on the light side, but we're getting there. This particular track may have been jettisoned, but look for more of Sovereign's work in the next part of the guide.

Oris Jay
"Biggin Up The Massive"
(Urban Underground UK, 2000)

Ah such a classic, and yet another one that was hard to leave out. One heavy, heavy track. You can kind of understand why a lot of Garage folk didn't like tracks like this, with it's lack of overt, on-its-sleeve soulfulness like the earlier stuff had, instead it's replaced with a core of raw, powerful, dark energy. But yet despite this (and unlike what we see with a lot of modern attempts), it still contained that dance-ability, it was still rooted in what came before, still of dance culture and what came before. If you were to strip down a lot of the more 'mature' tracks from before this, I wouldn't be surprised if this is roughly what you'd come up with every time. Oris Jay truly is a legend, though more so under his Darqwan alias, which makes an appearance on the main list. Maybe not quite as visible like he would be if I included a tune like this, but he's there and no doubt we'll hear more from him in the future.

Blond
"If I Was Your Girl"
(N/A, 2002)

Sovereign makes another appearance here, this time on a rather mysterious, minimally marked single which contains nothing bar artist, title and a contact number (yes an actual phone number). Well apart from the other side of the label with the nice cartoon of (surprise) a blond girl wearing very little. For some reason I decided this violated my policy of trying not to include the same artist twice. Despite the fact I think I've broken that policy more than once. Ah well, it's more a guideline than a rule really and despite the scantily clad drawing out it went. We've got some other gems from 2002 though so don't be too disappointed.

Now I hope that'll tide you over until the weekend which is when I hope I'll have the next part up.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
^^^Eagerly awaiting the 2-step guide!

Anyone know anything about this track off of the Four Tet Fabriclive? (Other than it owns.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tP1OLUK6dg

lycheeee
Jan 14, 2011

what up meat puck
Gosh the new Rustie is really good. New L-Vis 1990 LP is also pretty fun though not really the same category at all. This has been a good freaking week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
This is a pretty nice mix http://soundcloud.com/yetiinthebasement/dubloke-in-the-basement-020811

tracklist:
Leasy – Make The Move [Unreleased]
Zomby – Natalias Song [4AD]
Maya Jane Coles – What They Say [Real Tone]
Unknown - Unknown [White]
Crazy Cousinz – Funky Anthem (Instrumental) [Funky]
Groove Chronicles – Stonecold [DPR]
Ramadanman – Glut [Hemlock]
Girl Unit – Wut (Claude Von Stroke Remix) [Night Slugs]
Addison Groove – This Is It [Tectonic]
Mala – Lean Forward [DMZ]
Cotti & Cluekid – Legacy [-30]
Skream – Afeks [White]
Coki – Mood Dub [DMZ]
Spooky – Joyride [Slew Dem]
Aaliyah –Are You That Somebody [Atlantic]
Martyn – Shadowcasting [Revolver]
Apple – Mr Bean [White]
Nolay – Unorthodox Daughter
ID – Akusitive [Cool & Deadly]
Dark Angel – Cool & Humble (Untold Remix) [Boka]
Skream – Losing Control [Tempa]
Kromestar – Kalawanji [Deep Medi Musik]
Coki – Earth A Run Red [Soul Jazz]
Headhunter – Drop The Waste [Tempa]
Benga – Drumz West [Tempa]
S-X – Wooo Riddim (DJ Q Remix) [Butterz]
Bok Bok – Silo Pass [Night Slugs]
P Jam – Real [Dice]
Wizzbit – Oldskool [Road]
DJ Oddz – Champion Re

the website its from is worth keeping an eye on too the recent video interview with elijah and skilliam is good http://www.yetiinthebasement.com

• Locked thread