Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Cicadalek posted:

I think unarmed probably remained separate because it's the only thing besides Survival which uses the Endurance stat. And Endurance needs all the help it can get because it would be a total dump stat if not for implants

It would just get rolled into various perks to retain its importance. For example, at 6 STR and 6 END and 25 Melee would grant you access to the perk for the basic kick/jab/etc with bonus damage/DT pen. Or at say 6STR/8END/6AGi and 70 melee skill you would get the perks for Hammer Punch/Paralyze Palm, and so on.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Obviously we require a separate skill, "improvised weapons".

Improvised weapons would be more like Zip Guns, I think for C4 we need a clayshaping or Pottery skill.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anyway my original point was while there are many valid reasons that unarmed and melee were kept separate skills (covered already by rope kid and cicadalek), "Swinging something and punching something are different" is not one of them. I don't know where we ended up after that.

edit: drat rope kid, just read up on the meaning behind the sprtel-wood's name. That's heavy.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 4, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Omnicarus posted:

Improvised weapons would be more like Zip Guns, I think for C4 we need a clayshaping or Pottery skill.

Man, every time I think of "zip gun" I think of the guy hanging out with Charles Bronson during the last big gun fight in Death Wish 3. And then I think it'd be cool if there was a Wildey Magnum to be used in this game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
God, Big Guns was so worthless in Fallout 3. Ammo was limited so you couldn't just blast away with impunity, so you ended up with a 30 lbs paperweight taking up inventory space. The damage bonuses weren't even especially great considering the insane criticals you could get with the other weapons (and I don't think any of the Big Guns even could crit). Was it as worthless in the original Fallouts?

At least in New Vegas they had the sense to make the questionably useful skills (Barter, Survival) tie to some completely awesome perk (Pack Rat, Travel Light).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Bozar was a big gun in Fallout 2.

Check mate.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Was it as worthless in the original Fallouts?

A crit with minigun, bazooka etc was almost a guaranteed kill, or if your enemy was lightly armored. It was very fifty fifty, especially if you ran into super mutants and the first of them to go drew a minigun and peppered you and your grouped companions with bullets.

Dogmeat and Ian, you will be missed.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Is anyone else having trouble with the gun runners arsenal challenges? Tin Grenades appear to make Cazadore adults invulnerable (Their life bar empties and suddenly they take no damage from anything) and I just stabbed three deathclaws to death with a switchblade and didn't get credit towards that challenge either!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

God, Big Guns was so worthless in Fallout 3. Ammo was limited so you couldn't just blast away with impunity, so you ended up with a 30 lbs paperweight taking up inventory space. The damage bonuses weren't even especially great considering the insane criticals you could get with the other weapons (and I don't think any of the Big Guns even could crit). Was it as worthless in the original Fallouts?

At least in New Vegas they had the sense to make the questionably useful skills (Barter, Survival) tie to some completely awesome perk (Pack Rat, Travel Light).
I don't think they were as useless, but I've played Fallout 1 & 2 multiple times, as well as Fallout: Tactics, and I've never played a Big Gun character. The problem is as you said, the ammo is too rare to be able to reliably use a big gun. However, I remember Big Guns being very useful in specific situations when you absolutely had to deal out a lot of damage quickly. For example, when you first encounter the robots in FoT.

Also, it's always fun to mulch people with a minigun.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 4, 2011

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

King Doom posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with the gun runners arsenal challenges? Tin Grenades appear to make Cazadore adults invulnerable (Their life bar empties and suddenly they take no damage from anything) and I just stabbed three deathclaws to death with a switchblade and didn't get credit towards that challenge either!

According to the wiki the Deathclaw hunter challenge is buggy as gently caress, and only counts towards specific Deathclaws. Like, for example, the blind Deathclaw in Primm Pass counts, but the regular one lingering outside Dead Wind Cavern doesn't.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Chainsaw is a pretty cool new weapon. It completely ignores DR/DT, and has a huge damage and "fire" rate.

You can hack up deathclaws like it ain't no thing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Ddraig posted:

The Chainsaw is a pretty cool new weapon. It completely ignores DR/DT, and has a huge damage and "fire" rate.

The chainsaw has always been around, it just didn't ignore DT/DR for the first couple of patches, and didn't have all the GRA mods that turn it into an unstoppable rape machine. Legionaires at the Fort carry around the original red one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wolfsheim posted:

The chainsaw has always been around, it just didn't ignore DT/DR for the first couple of patches, and didn't have all the GRA mods that turn it into an unstoppable rape machine. Legionaires at the Fort carry around the original red one.

Has it seriously been in the game all this time? I've been to the Legion camp a few times and never, ever found it.

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

Ddraig posted:

Has it seriously been in the game all this time? I've been to the Legion camp a few times and never, ever found it.

I dunno about the Legion, but I believe Motor-Runner for one carried a chainsaw.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, it was a personal favourite melee weapon while it was undamaged for me with my melee unarmed guy a few months back.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Oh man, don't forget the Ripper for early massacre goodness.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ripper_%28Fallout:_New_Vegas%29

If you are resourceful and committed, you can get one early in the game in Nipton.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Ddraig posted:

Deathclaws appear to have a bad case of retarded now. My sneak 100 character was able to use a switchblade to stab the five of them that lurk around just inside dead wind cavern to death from full health, and it was only the sixth literally walking over me that got me spotted. Before then the alert level never dropped below [CAUTION]. Also, the legendary deathclaw does count towards the challenge, but it has an ability to give you carpal tunnel syndrome if you start stabbing it.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 4, 2011

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Noted Literally posted:

I dunno about the Legion, but I believe Motor-Runner for one carried a chainsaw.

Legion troops and their blacksmith can spawn with it but it's random. I think the only guaranteed chainsaw spawns are Motor-Runner, Bonesaw (a marked man in Lonesome Road), and inside the Legion safehouse which requires high Legion reputation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Ddraig posted:

It has! The only reason I even noticed was that, during Boone and I's assault on the Fort, he suddenly stopped shooting and I turned to see him bust out a chainsaw and resume killing.

Boone :allears:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Wolfsheim posted:

It has! The only reason I even noticed was that, during Boone and I's assault on the Fort, he suddenly stopped shooting and I turned to see him bust out a chainsaw and resume killing.

Do they pick up weapons on their own or something? I've noticed a couple times I go to dump trader junk in their inventory that they're full up where they weren't before.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Do they pick up weapons on their own or something? I've noticed a couple times I go to dump trader junk in their inventory that they're full up where they weren't before.

Yeah, companions will pick up weapons they come across--and use them if the new weapon is somehow superior to the one they were previously using.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, companions will pick up weapons they come across--and use them if the new weapon is somehow superior to the one they were previously using.

So that's where that Power Fist went :argh:

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi goons, I'm currently re-installing the game, but I would like to know if Bethesda has fixed all the problems yet, before starting a new game.
Most notable of problems were the "Crash on saving" which only happened late into the game, ensuring you couldn't complete it.

If any one knows, I'd be grateful.

PS: Maybe the OP needs a link/list of know quirks, problems, crashes and so on. I couldn't find one in there.

Wolfsheim posted:

Boone and that Gladius blade. "Where you going you're a sniipeeerrrr!!..."

Death by Cranes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 4, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God, hahaha... if Caesar is dead and you shoot his dead body's head till his dead body's head blows off, then up pops "Et Tumor, Brute? Failed!"

Edit: Oh yeah, "Thumbs down, you son of a bitch," was an awesome line.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Death by Cranes posted:

Boone and that Gladius blade. "Where you going you're a sniipeeerrrr!!..."

"Melee's not my strong suit."

*runs around slaughtering everybody with a machete*

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Aurubin posted:

The phrase engraved on the slide of the pistol is from the Bible passage John 1:5, "And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not."

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It's the most bad rear end gun in a game ever.

Yeeep.

:jerkbag:

:clint:

RUN AWAY

:aaa:

:ocelot:

I wonder if it was a conscious design decision to give Graham a commander frame 1911.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Am I the only one seeing the thing with cazadores and tin grenades? It's seriously annoying, they get blasted to 0 health and then refuse to die.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder if it was a conscious design decision to give Graham a commander frame 1911.
Yes.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Wait Light That Shines in Darkness is actually good? I saw the +DAM compared to the normal .45, but this good?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A Light Shining in the Darkness with hand loaded ammo is basically the Easy Bake Oven of making motherfuckers dead. Even a child could completely depopulate the Legion in seconds.

e: I mean obviously a really big rifle type thing like the YCS or the AMR will kill people from a million miles away with one shot to the head, but for actual real people weapons, it's pretty choice.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 4, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sighence posted:

Wait Light That Shines in Darkness is actually good? I saw the +DAM compared to the normal .45, but this good?

It gets critical hits nonstop too. ALSITD is one of the best weapons in the game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So I have this problem where everything is retardedly difficult to kill and I have to shoot it like 10 times in the head.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Haha I love that one of the Legion thought this was going to be so easy that he stopped to have a Nuka-Cola, then :aaa:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

Haha I love that one of the Legion thought this was going to be so easy that he stopped to have a Nuka-Cola, then :aaa:

It's always time for a Nuka Break (tm)!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

A Light Shining in Darkness with hand loaded ammo is basically the Easy Bake Oven of making motherfuckers dead. Even a child could completely depopulate the Legion in seconds.

It cleared out Caesar's Fort pretty drat handily for me. I didn't kill 10% of them, I killed 100%, I'm 10 times the man Caesar iswas

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

rope kid posted:

Yes.

Oh you. :3:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

ravenkult posted:

So I have this problem where everything is retardedly difficult to kill and I have to shoot it like 10 times in the head.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy

Either quit usin' a scrub gun for idiots, or turn down the difficulty :smug:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I had to drop the chainsaw because it was so goddamn powerful and put my guns into shame. Installed a mod that forces it to use flamer fuel as ammo helped a bit. Still, it is a goddamn death machine when you need it (against BoS, deathclaws etc).

Cass is my favorite companion now because she fits well into the cowboy theme and i love the Whiskey Rose perk :clint:. Sorry Boone, without the infinite magical ammo you are just a money sink.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So does AG Supplementary Uniques have an .esp on FOMM?

I tried installing it but I can't find an .esp and I can't tell if the loot is inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

It cleared out Caesar's Fort pretty drat handily for me. I didn't kill 10% of them, I killed 100%, I'm 10 times the man Caesar iswas

Where do I find ALSID?