Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So it takes up your limited use items necessary to invade even if the game (silently) fails to find a world to invade. And even when you do it's so laggy that it's practically unplayable and you'll get backstabbed from the front. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Chaos341 posted:

I killed the armored boar but I didn't get its head for a helmet. Do you have to kill it a certain way to get it?

It's random. There's more to kill later on.

How the heck do you quickly descend a ladder?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Hit the combo at the same time to do the move.

So WTF, I put in my CE code to download the digital extras and they downloaded corrupted. I got back to the site to re-download them, and it says I've already downloaded them. :argh:

I'm having similar trouble, except I didn't close the download window so I'm still trying. I got the map, and I'm trying to get the guide now since it's the next smallest thing, but everything is downloading so slow I think it just gives up before it's actually done. Guess they're getting hammered since everyone who preordered the game got the CE for free.

So far my only big annoyance is when I run into an enemy that seems to be turtling behind his shield, usually a spear guy, and I have to figure out ways to make him attack so I can hope for an opening. Also bosses keep smashing me into dust, but that's what I paid for :v:

Edit: Got the mini-Guide now, let's see if I can get the OST. VV Yeah, that's what I've been doing since my last run through to the boss, so good to know I'm doing it right now.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 5, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Brightman posted:

So far my only big annoyance is when I run into an enemy that seems to be turtling behind his shield, usually a spear guy, and I have to figure out ways to make him attack so I can hope for an opening. Also bosses keep smashing me into dust, but that's what I paid for :v:

Kick them to break their guard (Up on the stick + R1). Better than waiting for him to attack.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Brightman posted:

So far my only big annoyance is when I run into an enemy that seems to be turtling behind his shield, usually a spear guy, and I have to figure out ways to make him attack so I can hope for an opening.

Light attack to bait him to counter attack, parry, riposte. Spear dudes have not touched me since I started doing this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple quick questions.

1. Is rolling just nerfed or is it something I can speed up by leveling up now? If so what stat would would I want to boost to roll faster?
2. Why did I have 10 Esus flasks and now I have 5?
3. Why do vendors have 4 different prices for the same item on the right of the buy screen?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Brightman posted:

I'm having similar trouble, except I didn't close the download window so I'm still trying. I got the map, and I'm trying to get the guide now since it's the next smallest thing, but everything is downloading so slow I think it just gives up before it's actually done. Guess they're getting hammered since everyone who preordered the game got the CE for free.

Edit: Got the mini-Guide now, let's see if I can get the OST. VV Yeah, that's what I've been doing since my last run through to the boss, so good to know I'm doing it right now.

Welp, don't close that window, from what I can see searching around forums is that there is no way back to that loving page. You also only get to download for 24 hours, so you need to try and get them all before that happens.

Hoping someone can post them up online with non-draconian limitations.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Jesus Christ. I wish there was a suicide command, because if you get poisoned early in the game before you have means of dealing with it, you're dead. What's the point of putting in a little down-ticking status bar when it lasts three goddamn minutes and is going to kill you regardless?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
There aren't enough people summoning white phantoms.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

3. Why do vendors have 4 different prices for the same item on the right of the buy screen?

2. Resting at a kindled bonfire grants more flasks.
3. The price is lined up next to the item it applies to, so the second price you're seeing is the price for the second item on the list, notice how they move together. It's weird at first, yeah.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

It's not the same item. It's the prices of the items below.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

YorexTheMad posted:

Yeah, last night I waited around for a long time waiting to be summoned for the iron giant fight (so that I could get humanity, so I could summon people to help ME), and it never happened.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Welp, don't close that window, from what I can see searching around forums is that there is no way back to that loving page. You also only get to download for 24 hours, so you need to try and get them all before that happens.

Hoping someone can post them up online with non-draconian limitations.

Yeah, I don't know about getting them all within that time limit myself. The soundtrack currently sits at 8 hours left going at 6~7 kbps, which is insanely low for my connection and I'm not doing anything else besides using the forums, so they're most likely just getting hammered. Hopefully it will clear up and I can get it all, and then later maybe there will be mirrors or maybe they'll open it up again if enough people complain.

If you haven't used the digital content code yet, best to wait on it until this stuff gets resolved.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

People need to be more courageous in using their humanity to run around all human-like.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Canceled my Amazon pre-order -- I will not be paying $10 for faster shipping and I will not wait another two weeks even with free shipping -- and bought the game at Best Buy. This means I missed out on the Collector's Edition, but digital bonuses are kind of lame, anyway.

Demon's Souls was the only PS3 game I managed to get into, and Dark Souls is the first game in a long time I've plunked down a full $60 for. Take my money, Best Buy, because I'm ready to die.

FAKE EDIT: Picked up the Future Press guide, too. Thing's a beaut. :)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

1. Is rolling just nerfed or is it something I can speed up by leveling up now? If so what stat would would I want to boost to roll faster?

1. You need under 25% of your equip weight to get the fastest roll. Even so, it has less invincibility than in Demons Souls. If you want to roll faster, Endurance will raise your equip weight making it easier to gain a fast roll. Supposedly Dexterity grants you a very fast roll at a certain point. There is a ring that does the same thing too.
2. The first bonfire is pre-kindled. You need to do this yourself to other ones to make them give 10+ flasks.
3. It's showing the prices for items you can see. It isn't just for the one you have highlighted.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

1. Your roll speed is based on your equipment weight in relation to your max equip weight. If you wanna roll faster in heavier armor you need to boost your endurance. Unlike in Demon's Souls where you could roll as fast as possible so long as you were under 50% of your equip weight limit it now seems to vary more, where even 25% of max weight is slower than 10%.

2. If you kindle a bonfire it makes it burn hotter and you can get more estus flasks from it. 5 is default and you get 5 more each time you kindle it. This applies only to the specific bonfire you are at.

3. No idea.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Are you still better off dead?
I think I was in body form for a good 5 minutes all Demons Souls.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a stockpile thomas in this game?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

keyframe posted:

Is there a stockpile thomas in this game?

I think there's no longer a limit on how much you can carry, so a stockpile is totally pointless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also there are no returning characters whatsoever...as far as I know.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cyberbob posted:

Are you still better off dead?
I think I was in body form for a good 5 minutes all Demons Souls.

Honestly I'm not quite sure what being alive does for you. Being able to summon people I guess?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I think there's no longer a limit on how much you can carry, so a stockpile is totally pointless.

This is true, but you can still buy a box that gives you a stockpile at bonfires at some point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

evilalien posted:

This is true, but you can still buy a box that gives you a stockpile at bonfires at some point.
Also you can still sell/repair/upgrade items that are in the box and not on your person. There's no reason to carry around any but the equipment you are going to use right there, so equipment switching is much faster.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Welp, Sorcerer seems to be no match for Taurus Demon.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK
I must be stupid or I missed something, I keep seeing talk about a gargoyle in the Undead Parish, but I looked all around there without finding anything. Eventually wandered my way into a lower section of Undead Burg where a Capra Demon is slaughtering me. Any tips to help me proceed? Should I not be at this boss yet?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

There are more stages to fast/slow rolling in this game. If you are above 50% encumberence you do the good old fat roll where you basically flounder on your back for a second. If you are between something like 30% and 50% you do the 'normal' speed roll that is slightly slower than in demons souls. If you are below 25-30% or so you do the fast roll which is actually a bit faster and takes you farther than in demons souls. I believe this is because in Dark souls armor is significantly more important/better/upgradable, so they added in a balancing act of sorts between how much hitstun immunity you want and how fast you can tumble out of the way of impending doom.

If you get above a certain threshold (25-30?) in dexterity and endurance, you can start doing backflips and poo poo in lighter armor.

Also: Higher dexterity makes you move faster in general too.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Gary Dupre posted:

I must be stupid or I missed something, I keep seeing talk about a gargoyle in the Undead Parish, but I looked all around there without finding anything. Eventually wandered my way into a lower section of Undead Burg where a Capra Demon is slaughtering me. Any tips to help me proceed? Should I not be at this boss yet?

If you found the elevator back to Firelink Shrine, there are stairs right next to that elevator in the Undead Parish that lead to the Belfry Gargoyles fight.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Hopefully this comes into work tomorrow (UK). Originally I was learning towards the PS3 version for teaming up with friends but as you can't do that and it seems they are identical graphically, I've decided on Xbox as I hate the PS3 controller with a passion.

I only dabbled with a friends Demons' Souls but I really liked what I did play so am looking froward to this a lot.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Chaos341 posted:

I killed the armored boar but I didn't get its head for a helmet. Do you have to kill it a certain way to get it?

You have to kill the boar without backstabbing it. I ran mine into the fire a couple times.

I might add that Endurance lowers your equip weight so that might help you roll faster.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Mysterious, mysterious Dark Souls. I was on a long, winding, narrow spiral staircase fighting harpies when I decided to just cut past them and run to the top, hoping to find a better place to fight. After a while I realized they weren't chasing me anymore. I turned around, no harpies. I continued to the top and got the item there, still no harpies. I went back down the stairs and found them all dead on the floor at the bottom of the staircase. It appears that when I went past the harpies I knocked them off the staircase and they fell to their deaths. Harpies.

Oh Dark Souls, you so crazy.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

evilalien posted:

If you found the elevator back to Firelink Shrine, there are stairs right next to that elevator in the Undead Parish that lead to the Belfry Gargoyles fight.

I don't remember an elevator, I took a stairway down through the dragon bridge and opened up some gates that led me back to Firelink Shrine. Where is the elevator in the Parish?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Where's the first bonfire in the Undead Parish? Is it past the caped, rapier-wielding knight?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is there another way to get miracles early besides joining the way of the white? My bandit wound up leveling his faith some in order to use Astora's Straight Sword and I feel it's going to waste without some spells to back it up.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Do (undead parish spoiler) fire keeper souls upgrade your esk flasks forever or just temporarily?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Gary Dupre posted:

I don't remember an elevator, I took a stairway down through the dragon bridge and opened up some gates that led me back to Firelink Shrine. Where is the elevator in the Parish?

One floor below the dragon is a doorway that takes you underneath the bridge. If you proceed along the left side you should see a doorway that you need to take. The path is pretty straightforward from there.

UserMan posted:

Do (undead parish spoiler) fire keeper souls upgrade your esk flasks forever or just temporarily?

It's permanent.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

can anyone give me a hint what I'm supposed to do? I killed the taurus demon, I killed a pig, I got a mystery key, and..... ????? every staircase up or down ends in an unkillable dark knight and when I went the other way some ghosts slit my throat for me while taking zero damage even with transient curse. I'm soul level 12. where should I be?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Krinkle posted:

can anyone give me a hint what I'm supposed to do? I killed the taurus demon, I killed a pig, I got a mystery key, and..... ????? every staircase up or down ends in an unkillable dark knight and when I went the other way some ghosts slit my throat for me while taking zero damage even with transient curse. I'm soul level 12. where should I be?

You should be going down the staircase near the boar.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krinkle posted:

You were on the right track, go back to where you got your mystery key, there should be some ladders up. The caped knights are just the next step up in the enemy toughness progression and shouldn't give you *too* much trouble if you've gotten this far. If you are still having problems go back and grind some in the earlier areas.

If the big guy in the church is giving you problems, lure him back into the front room of the church with all the caped knights (after you kill then naturally) The big mace knight is scary and he hits really loving hard, but you can easily backpedal out of his BIG OBVIOUS ATTACK ANIMATION and give him a heavy attack while he recoils from his attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Those dark knights aren't unkillable. Just lure them out into an open space and fight conservatively, you can take them down. You're on the right track, keep going!

• Locked thread