Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
How the hell can I do Longo is I am out of the 'interact this ghosts' itens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God, finally got to play this...roommate was monopolizing the PS3, and I"m not enough of a jerk to kick him off of it, even though it's mine.

So, just starting out in the asylum, still retarded, because there were a couple of messages on the ground on the upper level after talking with that knight who freed you saying "illusionary wall ahead" yet...there isn't? And I can see a corpse on the stairs with some loot, but I can't get to it from below because the stairs are smashed up, and I can't get to it from above because I need a key I don't have, even though I have the master key...lot of good that does...what doors does it even open?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Killed Taurus Demon. Am I supposed to get a demon soul? Anything? He just died via melee and I went about my way.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
yo Sanders apparently one character from DS returns....supposedly. He's/She's probably pretty well hidden though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

DeathSandwich posted:

You were on the right track, go back to where you got your mystery key, there should be some ladders up. The caped knights are just the next step up in the enemy toughness progression and shouldn't give you *too* much trouble if you've gotten this far. If you are still having problems go back and grind some in the earlier areas.

If the big guy in the church is giving you problems, lure him back into the front room of the church with all the caped knights (after you kill then naturally) The big mace knight is scary and he hits really loving hard, but you can easily backpedal out of his BIG OBVIOUS ATTACK ANIMATION and give him a heavy attack while he recoils from his attack.

I thought I pored over every inch of that area but I'll try to get back there without dying to the combination of arrows and swords.

homeless snail posted:

Those dark knights aren't unkillable. Just lure them out into an open space and fight conservatively, you can take them down. You're on the right track, keep going!

I backstab them four times and their health bar doesn't move I'm clearly not able to kill them

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I love how this thread is full of questions. I haven't found a place to learn more miracles. But then again, I'm level 4.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Argh Im so jealous of all you guys already on this. Amazon shipped my PS3 game out yesterday and it still didn't get here.
To ease my wait: http://goo.gl/sdwxp

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Grondoth posted:

I love how this thread is full of questions. I haven't found a place to learn more miracles. But then again, I'm level 4.

that's easy. in the starting area there's a man talk to him four times and he'll teach you miracles(they are all expensive and dumb miracles)I don't know what deserves a spoiler tag or not

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 5, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krinkle posted:

I thought I pored over every inch of that area but I'll try to get back there without dying to the combination of arrows and swords.

I backstab them four times and their health bar doesn't move I'm clearly not able to kill them

If it's the black knight at the top of the spiral staircase, do NOT FIGHT HIM, it's a newbie trap, there is literally nothing up there, come back later on when you're a boss and slaughter him. Go back where the boar was standing, there should be a staircase right behind him leading down. Follow that around and there should be two ladders up toward the back of the room.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

DeathSandwich posted:

If it's the black knight at the top of the spiral staircase, do NOT FIGHT HIM, it's a newbie trap, there is literally nothing up there, come back later on when you're a boss and slaughter him. Go back where the boar was standing, there should be a staircase right behind him leading down. Follow that around and there should be two ladders up toward the back of the room.

earlier in the town there are two at the bottom of other staircases. or maybe just one. I know not to try to stab him in the back... now

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Killed Taurus demon and now I don't know what to do. Talked to a guy afterwards and accepted his task, but I double clicked once and missed whatever he told me to do, and now there's a large dragon in my way and I think I've explored the whole area?

No idea where to go next

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Good Citizen posted:

Killed Taurus demon and now I don't know what to do. Talked to a guy afterwards and accepted his task, but I double clicked once and missed whatever he told me to do, and now there's a large dragon in my way and I think I've explored the whole area?

No idea where to go next

this is just what I found out: run halfway down that bridge, dive into the stairs on the right. when you get stuck again look for ladders apparently?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jesus, this thread moves insanely fast - I'm going to re-ask my question (that has surely already been answered but isn't in the OP and I haven't seen it in the pages I've read so far)-

What does the code you got from solving the preparetodie.com glyph puzzle do??

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If you come to the Dragon Bridge, suck it up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Good Citizen posted:

No idea where to go next

The item he gave you is an item you drop when you're hallowed to be summoned into another players game for co-op.

To get past the dragon, I've had him not activate if I just walked across the bridge, honestly. Every time I tried to sprint across it he would burn my rear end before I made it 3/4ths the way.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Good Citizen posted:

No idea where to go next

Run across the bridge along the right side. Around where all those guards are is a staircase on the right. If you're quick you can get down that before the fire comes, and even if you do get it it should be glancing and not outright kill you (provided you didn't eat too many arrows running in). From down there you can access the top of the bonfire room and kick a ladder down to make a shortcut. Then you can cross under the bridge and into the undead church area.

Bonus Weapon Spoiler: From under the bridge you may notice the dragon's tail waving about, all vulnerable-like. Shoot enough arrows into it and you'll cut it off and earn the Dragon Saber, a 200dmg sword that will tear poo poo up early in the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anyone know if the online is busted on 360? I am having no luck summoning white phantoms, there's about a half dozen signs in the forest at SL15 and they all error out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

There are more stages to fast/slow rolling in this game. If you are above 50% encumberence you do the good old fat roll where you basically flounder on your back for a second. If you are between something like 30% and 50% you do the 'normal' speed roll that is slightly slower than in demons souls. If you are below 25-30% or so you do the fast roll which is actually a bit faster and takes you farther than in demons souls. I believe this is because in Dark souls armor is significantly more important/better/upgradable, so they added in a balancing act of sorts between how much hitstun immunity you want and how fast you can tumble out of the way of impending doom.

If you get above a certain threshold (25-30?) in dexterity and endurance, you can start doing backflips and poo poo in lighter armor.

Also: Higher dexterity makes you move faster in general too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is exactly what I needed to know.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So is it bad if I killed the who talks to you after the tutorial?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Mysterious, mysterious Dark Souls. I was on a long, winding, narrow spiral staircase fighting harpies when I decided to just cut past them and run to the top, hoping to find a better place to fight. After a while I realized they weren't chasing me anymore. I turned around, no harpies. I continued to the top and got the item there, still no harpies. I went back down the stairs and found them all dead on the floor at the bottom of the staircase. It appears that when I went past the harpies I knocked them off the staircase and they fell to their deaths. Harpies.

Oh Dark Souls, you so crazy.

Wait, wouldn't you see yourself getting souls when they fell to their deaths?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Guliani is HOT posted:

So is it bad if I killed the who talks to you after the tutorial?

No, he kills himself after you leave the room anyway. The only thing that happens from killing hims is making him all :smith: like with his dying words. Disregard, you said *after the tutorial*. That guy is plot unimportant IIRC, but for future warning, you really need to mind your trigger finger, if you do that to someone legitimately important you can bone yourself easily.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 5, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Gonna have to ask again. I'm looking for somewhere to buy arrows, before ringing the first bell. The merchant in the undead burg is dead. Are there any other options?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ugh, am I the only one who feels the game is unfair?
I've died more to deaths that don't even feel like they where my fault in the first 4 hours than how many times I died at all in the entirety of Demon's Souls.

Anyway, has From recognized that there are framerate problems (not PvP)? I can barley stand walking around Firelink due to how jittery it gets (and OCD).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wait...so those two, kind of nasty skeletons right after the tutorial don't even give you any souls?! Why am I wasting my time with them?!

(I would have got it the third time, but the second one riposted me when I was so close to finishing him off.)

Edit: Oh, some soul items...but then, like, four more of them that kill me because I didn't notice them there.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 5, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:sigh: Looks like my copy was late. I want to die, too!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait...so those two, kind of nasty skeletons right after the tutorial don't even give you any souls?! Why am I wasting my time with them?!

(I would have got it the third time, but the second one riposted me when I was so close to finishing him off.)

Kill the first set and follow the path up to the right, grab the shiny, run like a school girl, that's all you need from that area for now.

Edit: So since we're up to the point where most of the day 1 purchasers have the game now, would it be worthwhile to start a new thread?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure you can buy arrows from the smith near the church. Or maybe you hosed youself! I really can't recall offhand sorry :(

also there's some good treasure in the graveyard and a new zone past it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Finally got to put in a few hours with the game. It rules! A lot!

Started out as a Pyromancer with the Master Key, have had almost no trouble so far. Died a couple of times while I was still getting my bearings but I beat both of the bosses on the way to the first bell on my first try. Killed the Taurus demon by repeating impaling him in the head, and beat the Gargoyles by letting that NPC dude you can summon go all Zeus and chuck lightning bolts at them while I messed them up from behind. Getting the sword from the Dragon's tail helped immensely. That thing is brutally powerful this early in the game.

DeathSandwich posted:

Ehhhhhh he's not that bad. It took me a couple of tries but I beat him before I moved on from that area. I ended up killing him by pulling him all the way down the tower to give myself some room to manuever, then straffing around him and stabbing him in the back 3-4 times :smuggo:

Got nothing for it but a Titanite Chunk though.

I also managed to beat Havel before heading to the Taurus demon (you need the Master key to get to him at that point) and he drops a sweet ring that increases your max equip burden. It let me put on a better piece of armor while still keeping my fast roll.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Reive posted:

Ugh, am I the only one who feels the game is unfair?
I've died more to deaths that don't even feel like they where my fault in the first 4 hours than how many times I died at all in the entirety of Demon's Souls.

Anyway, has From recognized that there are framerate problems (not PvP)? I can barley stand walking around Firelink due to how jittery it gets (and OCD).

No you are not the only one it feels like that to me too.

Framerate is also terrible. God I wish this was also released on the pc :(

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

DeathSandwich posted:

Kill the first set and follow the path up to the right, grab the shiny, run like a school girl, that's all you need from that area for now.

Edit: So since we're up to the point where most of the day 1 purchasers have the game now, would it be worthwhile to start a new thread?

how do you get there? I saw a guy go there from the starting location in a feed but I cannot for the life of me find that graveyard. I can only find an elevator to ghost town.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just spent 10 min getting the drake sword and I need another 4 str to use it 1h. I was trying to throw my pyro spell at the drat boar and some rear end in a top hat skeleton snuck up behind me and pushed me over the ledge and then the boar charged me and I died.../sigh

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So my fire in Firelink shrine is out. Apparently the fire keeper has been killed. I have a black eye orb, but how do I use it?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I checked the first post and God forgive me if this is in the OP, but I don't have a gold xbox account and as such cannot play multiplayer. Will I run into problems because of this? I only ask because Dark Souls has a very....unique, to say the least, online component and I don't want to drop $60 and find out I'm missing 50% of the game.

For example, will I be able to see player messages if I don't have gold? Apologies if this is a stupid/ignorant question as I hardly use my Xbox and don't know poo poo about how xbox live fully works in regards to multiplayer/co-op.

*fake edit* Any news on a PC release? I HIGHLY doubt it but I said the same regarding L.A. Noire and boy was I surprised.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Funkmaster General posted:

Gonna have to ask again. I'm looking for somewhere to buy arrows, before ringing the first bell. The merchant in the undead burg is dead. Are there any other options?

No, you will have to find a merchant further into the game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So my fire in Firelink shrine is out. Apparently the fire keeper has been killed. I have a black eye orb, but how do I use it?

If you have the miniguide that came with the CE you can see how that particular event is supposed to be played out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So, what should I be doing about upgrades(reinforcing)? Should I just reinforce whatever I happen to be using or stockpile the items for later? I killed a crystal gecko so I have some upgrade parts lying around.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krinkle posted:

how do you get there? I saw a guy go there from the starting location in a feed but I cannot for the life of me find that graveyard. I can only find an elevator to ghost town.

We're thinking of the wrong thing it seems. Get back up the elevator, the stuff down there is not meant for you yet, bad poo poo will happen there.

From the first bonfire there are three ways you can go. From the first guy you see, if you follow the wall left toward the cliff, you go down a staircase that leads to the elevator (that I think you're at) with the very bad stuff at the bottom, don't go that way unless you're looking for the asura long sword (w/masterkey). To the right of the sitting dude there are stairs leading up to a ruined little church, follow it around to the right side and you hit the skeleton graveyard with the thing I mentioned before, don't go here unless you feel really ballsy and want the loot in the back of it because the skeletons are hard as poo poo for someone just out of the asylum, and drop no souls. Behind where the crow drops you along the cliffside there is a stairway up, this leads to the "first" section of the game, the way the game wants you to go, progress lies that way on the backs of skeletal soldiers and knights.

Actually, that may be a good candidate for something to go in the op

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is actually a long side event if you didn't kill the Yurt-look alike you rescued in the church. You'll be able to use the black eye orb in Amor Lando, around the half point of the game.

The good thing is you'll get two extra sets of armor not obtainable anywhere else if you do this side event instead of killing the NPC back at the church. The downside of course is that you need to find another NPC to upgrade Estus flask and you lose the Firelink bonfire for half of the game.

Once you kill Yurt 2.0 in Amor Lando, the Fire Keeper will be revived.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Made it to the first bon fire in Undead Burg. God drat this game is everything I hoped for. So drat happy. Also, the CE tin is pretty neat. Glad it was a free upgrade though. Don't know if the art book and tin would warrant any extra money really but I'm happy I have them.

Obligitory Game Porn Shot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Welp; Finally got my shipping notification, looks like my release day delivery with Amazon Prime has earned me an entire day of my friends playing this and telling me what a great time they're having while I sit and fester sulkily.

I preordered this the day they announced it. :(

• Locked thread