Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is pretty much the best sword of its kind in the game that's been discovered so far, high stat requirements but its damage is absurd.

The stat requirements actually aren't that bad. It was 16 STR and 10 DEX I think? I was only 1 STR away from being able to use it one-handed when I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Okay, I've got an incredibly retarded question about the bridge right before Dead Parish.

How do you manually aim with a crossbow? I'm trying to attack the dragon's tail but there's nothing I can find anywhere that says how to just aim at something. :(

You can't, the crossbow doesn't have free-aiming, but the bow does.

The crossbow does however only occupy one hand.

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
I'm loving the game so far, but a quick question:

I'm in the undead burg, just past the first fog door and a little before the bonfire, on that walkway the dragon lands on just to give you a scare and there's that opening that looks like you can jump to a broken off walkway. I've been trying but keep landing just short - am I wasting my time or do I just have the timing down wrong? Or option c) come back when my character's dexterity is in the double digits?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it! Still don't know if that jump is possible, but there's another angle you can take later.

squirrelnow fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 5, 2011

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Unknown_PC posted:

There is a NPC in the belltower after you ring the bell that can make you friendly with hostile NPCs.

He want's 40k souls :psyduck:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is it worth trying to kill havel in the Burg? I'm level 15 right now.

What who is this, where is this guy?

And just when I think I've cleared out the Burg and Parish.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Never played demon souls but I'm loving this on 360. Kinda regretting going hunter off the bat though as knight seem to have got all the cool armor ='(. Everytime I'm at a bonfire, some other phantom knight is there and I just get sad in my pathetic pretty leather armor.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

why won't anyone summon me? I don't want to fight this boss sight unseen. I'm right hereeeeee

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Professor Latency posted:

What who is this, where is this guy?

And just when I think I've cleared out the Burg and Parish.

On the floor bellow the door to the Taurus Demon there's a locked door that you can open with the master key. Behind it is a looooooooong winding staircase and he's waiting at the bottom.

There's also another door leading somewhere next to him but I didn't check that out since I just wanted to push onwards to the church.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I want to start again without having my Covenant chosen for me (stupid Clerics :argh: ). Is there any guidance anywhere yet on what the different Covenants give you/do for you/let you do, and how they get their vengeance on you for breaking oath?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Znorps! posted:

Made it to the first bon fire in Undead Burg. God drat this game is everything I hoped for. So drat happy. Also, the CE tin is pretty neat. Glad it was a free upgrade though. Don't know if the art book and tin would warrant any extra money really but I'm happy I have them.
That tin is going to be my new joint-rolling tray/kit. :420:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Crowbear posted:

On the floor bellow the door to the Taurus Demon there's a locked door that you can open with the master key. Behind it is a looooooooong winding staircase and he's waiting at the bottom.

There's also another door leading somewhere next to him but I didn't check that out since I just wanted to push onwards to the church.

Oh right. I went down the stairs for a bit then pussed out because I figured I shouldn't have gone down there. Thanks dude!

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Is that the armored guy with the big rolling pin weapon? Dude killed me three times and took all my souls :negative:

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
*Enters fog and sees the Asylum Demon staring down below*

Me: "Oh hey look, it's you! Can't get me from up here can you?!"

*Asylum Demon proceeds to leap up and shatter the tiny platform I was standing on thus killing me*

Me: :stare:

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm still a little confused as to all of what humanity does. The upper left corner shows the humanity counter which I will lose from if I die. I can unhollow with one humanity at a fire to become human. Once human I can kindle a fire wither another humanity to make it give 10 Estus flasks. Human form lets me invade players and get invaded. Am I missing anything?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Nevermind, found it...6k souls though, ugh.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 5, 2011

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jaros posted:

I'm still a little confused as to all of what humanity does. The upper left corner shows the humanity counter which I will lose from if I die. I can unhollow with one humanity at a fire to become human. Once human I can kindle a fire wither another humanity to make it give 10 Estus flasks. Human form lets me invade players and get invaded. Am I missing anything?

Having extra humanity also increases item drop chance and apparently some other stats that I can't remember.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SixtySix posted:

Is that the armored guy with the big rolling pin weapon? Dude killed me three times and took all my souls :negative:

Yeah that's him.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Streaming from the beginning if you want to come laugh at me and watch me die: http://www.twitch.tv/evilgamer

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
OK I've been playing for a few hours and I've only leveled up. How do I know when I have a skill point to assign? My humanity randomly goes to 1 and I assume it's based on how many guys I've killed. I can't seem to find a correlation between the two. Can someone explain it to my dumb rear end?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major spoiler about NG+:
It's Resident Evil style NG+, the enemies don't get any tougher, it's pretty much just a "take your revenge on the game" mode, not like Demon Souls' "hard mode" NG+.

The game is a lot longer though, and while in DS1 your stats only made a subtle difference and your true strength was in skill, in this game your stats and equipment can get pretty absurd.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Just started a new character and played up to the first undead burg bonfire before giving it a rest for a few hours. After getting stuck at the bell gargoyles for a while I realized that killing the merchant was a huge mistake. I didn't realize when I decided to try it that there wasn't going to be any others for a while.

Now on this run I can actually get the dragon sword and have firebombs to use on poo poo, plus with prior knowlege the first areas don't feel too much harder than they were with my stronger character. I'll spend most of the night grinding souls to get myself back up to the level I was at, but I swear I won't call it a night without ringing that first bell.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You guys weren't kidding about the Drake Sword. It does over twice the damage of my heavy axe, and it's way faster. I guess trying to kill dragons early always pays off!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jaros posted:

I think that's it, though I think you need to be hollow to assist other players. One thing I'm unsure of, after you kindle abonfire, does it stay kindled?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that's it, though I think you need to be hollow to assist other players. One thing I'm unsure of, after you kindle abonfire, does it stay kindled?

Yeah it's persistent.

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

OK I've been playing for a few hours and I've only leveled up. How do I know when I have a skill point to assign? My humanity randomly goes to 1 and I assume it's based on how many guys I've killed. I can't seem to find a correlation between the two. Can someone explain it to my dumb rear end?

Leveling up has nothing to do with your humanity. You sometimes get humanity from items or randomly from enemies and can use that to reverse hollow and get to human form, or kindle a bonfire.

You use souls to level up. Once you have enough souls you can drop a point into whatever stat you want. The cost per stat goes up as you level.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 5, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Jaros posted:

You've got most of it. Being human also gives you curse resistance, allows you to summon/be summoned by other players, and certain NPCs won't talk to you if you're hollow.

@Macdeo Lurjtux; Yes, once you kindle a bonfire it will stay kindled forever.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Crowbear posted:

Yeah it's persistent.

Leveling up has nothing to do with your humanity. You sometimes get humanity from items or randomly from enemies and can use that to reverse hollow or kindle a bonfire.

You use souls to level up. Once you have enough souls you can drop a point into whatever stat you want. The cost per stat goes up as you level.

So if I have like, what, 1000 souls I should check at a bonfire to see if I can level? That sounds..odd.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What exactly does this Seek Guidance miracle do?

I don't think bonfires stay kindled forever, or rather it doesn't affect other people's games forever. I got some free kindles on some of my bonfires, and they faded soon after.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Good loving god. The combat feels so slow in this game compared to demons souls. Is there a way to make weapons swing faster?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So if I have like, what, 1000 souls I should check at a bonfire to see if I can level? That sounds..odd.

Yeah pretty much. I think it started out at 650-ish souls for my first level, and it's up to about 2000 now a few hours later.

WalletBeef posted:

Good loving god. The combat feels so slow in this game compared to demons souls. Is there a way to make weapons swing faster?

Strength increases your swing speed supposedly.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm having trouble. Where is the darktown vendor?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

This took me a while to sink into my brain, but each stat point you increase "is" a level up. Let's say you're level 10. It takes x souls to increase your strength from 10-11. So you purchase it. You're now level 11. I hope that makes sense.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Reading the 360 board on gamefaqs is great

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/60532038?page=1

The OP got mad at the game beacuse he killed a merchant.

[e]

"I'm an average guy that has a very large collection of xbox games but only play for fun. So If there are a few designers here for DS I have a few questions. Did you think we read minds when it comes to playing this game. I have no idea what the hell is going on from the character to why I'm alive, who I'm suppose to kill and why. I mean its not even in the book that came with the game.The intro looked great but said nothing! Those of us that are used to the more popular games atleast have a simple basic game fundamentals explained to them. Like no experience points but souls, and what i'm suppose to exchange souls for? Humanity? And how do I capture them? To include theres no pause, no jump, it takes you forever to drink an energy drink while on the run for your life which only take a couple blows to die. Listen, I really don't care about the $65 I just spent, its the 6 hrs of playing the same thing over and over. Trying everything I can think of to survive to no avail, and then realizing and I'm still at the beginning (Undead Burg). Theres nothing wrong with giving a game with a higher degree of difficulty (much higher than any other game ever), but you have to understand is theres a fine line between making a game difficult and making it impossible to enjoy. What I'm trying to say, I have never played a game this frustrating and I walked away from a game this disappointed...ever! Hence this post."

It's Demons Souls all over again :allears:

Agnostic watermelon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 5, 2011

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

WalletBeef posted:

Really? This game feels just as fast, if not faster than Demon's Souls. The controls sure feel more responsive at least.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Beat the first Bell boss on my first try while Human.

The item behind the locked door on top of the Asylum could be very useful in a couple places. Also, make sure you revisit your cell.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Would you guys recommend strength or dex for a melee character? I'm not wearing heavy armor (though I'm sure I will eventually when I buy it). But I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my other stats and would like to focus on dex or str, but I'm not really sure what gear requirements there will be later.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

coyo7e posted:

That tin is going to be my new joint-rolling tray/kit. :420:
Dank Souls: Prepare To get High :2bong:

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Does anybody know where the key is to free the NPC near the (early boss) Capra Demon.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Haha this guy invaded me and spawned 5 feet behind me. So I backstabbed him while he was spawning with a 2 handed Drake Sword and then stunlocked him to death. Free souls and a new shield!

^^^ You can buy it from the merchant in the burg

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is killing the first merchant easy to do accidentally? If I accidentally kill the first merchant, will I even know that I've done it? :psyduck:

I mean, I don't think I've even reached that point, but I need all the help I can get, and I've already restarted once, so I really don't want to screw this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

Would you guys recommend strength or dex for a melee character? I'm not wearing heavy armor (though I'm sure I will eventually when I buy it). But I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my other stats and would like to focus on dex or str, but I'm not really sure what gear requirements there will be later.

A bit of both. Personally, I'd lean it toward DEX slightly, because spear + shield is awesome and spears require DEX.

• Locked thread