Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Just gone done changing the spark plugs and air filter on my bike and I thought I ruined some wiring. I turned my bike on after I put it back together and I got a check engine warning. Uh oh, tried turning the bike on/off a few times and nothing. Prop the gas tank back up and start unplugging/plugging back in and checking all the wires. My dad comes out to the garage and tells me to put my kickstand up and then turn the bike on. Yeah, like that will help. I try it and lo and behold, bike starts working! It was around that time I realized I left the bike in gear so it wouldn't roll while I was yanking the tank around. Stupid kickstand safety system! At least my dad thought it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yep. New rider here. Nothing like throwing your leg over your new bike in front of a jealous friend :smug: only to tap it into first and have the engine die instantly.

"Uhhhhhh yeah that's a safety feature, see...the kickstand...yeah..." :ughh:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

epswing posted:

Yep. New rider here. Nothing like throwing your leg over your new bike in front of a jealous friend :smug: only to tap it into first and have the engine die instantly.

We've all made that mistake. :v:

Whenever I feel the urge to show off, I remember what happened previously and stop showing off. Falling off the bike, etc etc.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
The only other time I've done that (which is how I know there is a kickstand safety system on my bike) was when I had to pull over very quickly because of a drat bee flying around inside my helmet. I was pulling over so quickly that I skipped N and went to 1st gear and hit the engine kill switch. Put down the kickstand and dance around shaking out my helmet on the side of the road trying to get that drat bee out. Sit back on the bike and it wouldn't start until I put the kickstand back up :downs:

Oh and if anyone needs a $20 off a $150+ order, use coupon code DN44UI73II4 for http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 5, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

epswing posted:

I was at a coffee meet once, everyone (20+) people a standing around ogling a guy's brand new 848 just after they were released. He starts it up, gives it a rev for everyone then goes to put it first. *CLUNK* *silence* Forgot the sidestand. People seriously had tears in their eyes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've drained a battery once starting the bike over and over because the kickstand was down. Was testing it after a long winter and just wanted to pull forward slightly to make sure the clutch/etc was working properly. "Durr, I'm just rolling forward, I'll just leave the kickstand down. Hey, why's this not working?"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Uthor posted:

I've drained a battery once starting the bike over and over because the kickstand was down. Was testing it after a long winter and just wanted to pull forward slightly to make sure the clutch/etc was working properly. "Durr, I'm just rolling forward, I'll just leave the kickstand down. Hey, why's this not working?"

This is exactly how I found out about this feature. Almost dropped it and got pretty concerned, as I had bought it a week earlier.

Why the MSF didn't cover that is beyond me. Course I could of missed it cause god that was boring. I understand they have to go over 'don't ride like a dong', but it seemed that was the entire class portion.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Bondematt posted:

This is exactly how I found out about this feature. Almost dropped it and got pretty concerned, as I had bought it a week earlier.

Why the MSF didn't cover that is beyond me. Course I could of missed it cause god that was boring. I understand they have to go over 'don't ride like a dong', but it seemed that was the entire class portion.

Did you read the manual?

(Rhetorically wondering why I am asking this.)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I only have the Clymers manual, and no, reading is for people who like to live.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Just put on new tires today. As soon as I pulled out of my friend's house, it starts raining and I had a class in 20 minutes across the city. As I was exiting the freeway, I saw a girl in tight jeans riding a Hawk GT and try to pull up next to her to compliment her bike before making the green light after the exit.

Long story short, I end up doing a rolling burnout past her while waving. Felt pretty good.. but I'm afraid I might have made the wrong impression..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

epswing posted:

I managed to do this twice within ~5 minutes at my last track day. Both times in front of various instructors and students.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Bondematt posted:

The MSF I went to covered it. They kind of had to since all the bikes we used would do that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

I managed to do this twice within ~5 minutes at my last track day. Both times in front of various instructors and students.
Heyyyy weren't you on a race prepped R6? That shouldn't have a kickstand :colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Heyyyy weren't you on a race prepped R6? That shouldn't have a kickstand :colbert:

Yes and you're right it shouldn't...didn't until 2 days before when my roommate took it up to the mountains.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Have some questions, can you guys recommend some after market wheels for the 06-09 GSXR600-750? The front-end that's being put on the SV1000 has arrived, now some rotors and a wheel need to be found.

I found these rotors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EBC-...#ht_1527wt_1165
Which seem expensive I guess? I also don't know anything about the company that makes em so this kinda feels like a crapshoot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300596853506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_894wt_939

And again, same thing with the wheel, this one is OEM but drat that seems pricey for a single wheel compared to say a cars.

I found these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270824790165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1182 which include the rotor but ugh chrome.

Anywhoo it's been fun helping this bike come together, it's going to be an awesome streetfighter looking thing when it's all done.

e- It's an 03 1k, silver framed with some blue bits and a orange underbelly cover. The tank needs to be undented and repainted, but I'm thinking of keeping the gold/blue theme with it, painting the wheels powder gold, front-end is already gold and the rest in blue but keeping the frame silver.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Morphix posted:

Have some questions, can you guys recommend some after market wheels for the 06-09 GSXR600-750? The front-end that's being put on the SV1000 has arrived, now some rotors and a wheel need to be found.

I found these rotors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EBC-...#ht_1527wt_1165
Which seem expensive I guess? I also don't know anything about the company that makes em so this kinda feels like a crapshoot.

Those are really good discs. IIRC Z3n has a line on cheap EBC parts.

Morphix posted:

And again, same thing with the wheel, this one is OEM but drat that seems pricey for a single wheel compared to say a cars.

I found these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270824790165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1182 which include the rotor but ugh chrome.

After market wheels are going to be at least $2k for a pair, going up from there.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Awesome, that's what I love about this forum. Goons helping goons

edit: I'm like a page behind :)

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Those are really good discs. IIRC Z3n has a line on cheap EBC parts.

After market wheels are going to be at least $2k for a pair, going up from there.

Oh wow, that's awesome. Gonna have to get in contact with z3n, too bad EBC only makes brakes.

Wow, I had no idea motorcycle wheels were so expensive. Can you name some after market wheel companies so I could shop/look around? I tried googling it, but I kept coming back to terribly managed sites that would only ever let you look at what wheels they had for sale after you put in the correct year/model, and apparently GSXR 600-750 06-09 aftermarket wheels are like unicorns.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Morphix posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. Gonna have to get in contact with z3n, too bad EBC only makes brakes.

Wow, I had no idea motorcycle wheels were so expensive. Can you name some after market wheel companies so I could shop/look around? I tried googling it, but I kept coming back to terribly managed sites that would only ever let you look at what wheels they had for sale after you put in the correct year/model, and apparently GSXR 600-750 06-09 aftermarket wheels are like unicorns.

Contact speedaddictcycles.com through their webform here. They've got EBC stuff but it's not listed on their website, mention you're a friend of Conan and he'll get you my discount. Just tell him you've got a GSX-R 600/750 front end from 06-09 that you need rotors for.

Aftermarket rim companies that have been alive, dead, and alive again over the last decade or so:
Marchesini
Dymag

...I know there are more that I'm forgetting but I can't recall what they are.

Edit: Oh, OZ and Brembo make wheels too, but they're generally OEM makers, not aftermarket. High end Aprilias typically run OZ wheels, and some Triumphs run Brembo wheels.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

xd posted:

Awesome, that's what I love about this forum. Goons helping goons

edit: I'm like a page behind :)

I actually haven't heard back from him yet, so don't praise the gooniness yet :v:

I'm just kidding IHatePancakes, you're the best

edit: there we go, deal in motion :keke:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 6, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Morphix posted:

Wow, I had no idea motorcycle wheels were so expensive. Can you name some after market wheel companies so I could shop/look around?

Cheapest you'll get are Carrozzeria. Past that, OZ are cheapest (they've been pushing their Piega wheels pretty hard). Marchesini and PVM after that are quite exxy, then you get to carbon-fibre BST wheels which are ~$4k a pair. Dymag are making bike wheels again, but I think they're only doing some older style magnesium wheels, which leads me to the next point. Do not buy magnesium wheels for a street bike. You'll need a new pair very quickly, they're too soft to deal with hard road use.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I sent an email to a shop looking for a quote for tires/fluids/chain and 7500 mile valve check for a Ninja 250J. I got it 3rd owner and I don't think the previous owners did poo poo for maintenance. I'm trying to get an idea for costs while debating whether I wanted to get the tools and learn to do it myself (the valve check, I can handle the rest sans tires) or just get everything done in one go at a shop, since it needs so much. Short clip of the conversation, after he quoted me on 140/xx/17 rear tire (bike takes a 130/90/16):

Me: posted:

For the 250, it has 16in wheels so I think I'd need the 130/90/16 size. Do you guys not get in the Bridgestone bt-45? Fluid changes on it would be brakes, coolant, and oil, yes. It is also at it's 7500 mile valve check, if you guys do that. It could probably use a new chain as well, I don't think the PO ever lubed it and while I cleaned it up, it's still stiff.

Him: posted:

Yeah we can get the bt 45. The rear is a 130-90-16 and the front is a 110-90-16. The set is $190 We can def get you a chain and do all the fluids. The valves are probably fine but can be checked if they sound loud. Let me know when your wanting to get this done and we can go from there.

A Good Guy trying to save me a few bucks, or a shop I now won't even buy tires from? You decide!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

I sent an email to a shop looking for a quote for tires/fluids/chain and 7500 mile valve check for a Ninja 250J. I got it 3rd owner and I don't think the previous owners did poo poo for maintenance. I'm trying to get an idea for costs while debating whether I wanted to get the tools and learn to do it myself (the valve check, I can handle the rest sans tires) or just get everything done in one go at a shop, since it needs so much. Short clip of the conversation, after he quoted me on 140/xx/17 rear tire (bike takes a 130/90/16):

A Good Guy trying to save me a few bucks, or a shop I now won't even buy tires from? You decide!

The tire thing could be an honest mistake...but motorcycle valves generally get quieter as they get tighter, not louder.

I have sort of trust issues because I know that any mechanic worthwhile generally doesn't keep working for a shop, simply because they typically don't pay poo poo.

I say, learn to do it yourself. Valve adjustment isn't too difficult, and I'm pretty sure blugu64 will loan you the valve adjustment tool for the cost of shipping, check the 250 thread.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Morphix posted:

Basically, it costs a lot of money to make a lighter than OEM wheel with acceptable strength (think of all the cheap forged tooner car rimzz out there that are heavier than stock and only approximately round), and the market simply isn't big enough for affordable mass-market alternatives. What is out there is marketed to race teams or people for whom money is no object.

As with cars, psychology is also at work - people will pay $2,000 for a blinging exhaust but won't pay $1,000 for the same performance gain through weight saving.

Unless you pay more than the bike's worth for a set of dymags and track down a fitting kit, buying an aftermarket wheel used (or in some cases new) you're going to have to get one with a compatible axle, a disc bolt pattern and mounting position that will work with your calipers, it has to be set up to receive a speedo drive if the TL drives it off the front hub, and then you may have to make up spacers anyway.

I would just get a GSX-R front wheel from e-bay and call it good. Just powder-coat the existing rear and the new front so they match (that's if you care). IF the matching GSX-R rear will mate up with the TL rear end, obviously you could get a used rear as well and keep the existing one for a track wheel.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

The tire thing could be an honest mistake...but motorcycle valves generally get quieter as they get tighter, not louder.

I have sort of trust issues because I know that any mechanic worthwhile generally doesn't keep working for a shop, simply because they typically don't pay poo poo.

I say, learn to do it yourself. Valve adjustment isn't too difficult, and I'm pretty sure blugu64 will loan you the valve adjustment tool for the cost of shipping, check the 250 thread.

Right, I didn't really fault him too much although it kinda looks that way, I was actually being nice and just responding to statements and questions in his email 1 by 1.

It was more I read it like this, except Chumlee is actually fairly informed.

Yeah we can get the bt 45. The rear is a 130-90-16 and the front is a 110-90-16. The set is $190 We can def get you a chain and do all the fluids. The valves are probably fine but can be checked if they sound loud. Let me know when your wanting to get this done and we can go from there.

(I just told him in the email previous when I'd like to get it done)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epswing posted:

I do that every time I get on the wife's BMW. Can't see it. I like the vstar's gigantic chrome thing that sticks out like 8 feet. Can't miss it.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

I do that every time I get on the wife's BMW. Can't see it. I like the vstar's gigantic chrome thing that sticks out like 8 feet. Can't miss it.

I prefer sprung sidestands that auto-retract and hit you in the shin on the way up. Whee!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Saga posted:

Basically, it costs a lot of money to make a lighter than OEM wheel with acceptable strength (think of all the cheap forged tooner car rimzz out there that are heavier than stock and only approximately round), and the market simply isn't big enough for affordable mass-market alternatives. What is out there is marketed to race teams or people for whom money is no object.

As with cars, psychology is also at work - people will pay $2,000 for a blinging exhaust but won't pay $1,000 for the same performance gain through weight saving.

Unless you pay more than the bike's worth for a set of dymags and track down a fitting kit, buying an aftermarket wheel used (or in some cases new) you're going to have to get one with a compatible axle, a disc bolt pattern and mounting position that will work with your calipers, it has to be set up to receive a speedo drive if the TL drives it off the front hub, and then you may have to make up spacers anyway.

I would just get a GSX-R front wheel from e-bay and call it good. Just powder-coat the existing rear and the new front so they match (that's if you care). IF the matching GSX-R rear will mate up with the TL rear end, obviously you could get a used rear as well and keep the existing one for a track wheel.

Thanks, this is all pretty informative. Used stock wheels it is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga :love:

Postin' words, givin' good infos.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
How long should I run at particular throttle openings for a plug chop? I'm finding answers ranging from half a mile to five miles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Good or Bad I'm so used to people coming into my lane and driving like poo poo I don't even bother hitting the horn anymore. See it coming 95% of the time so I just move over or get around them.

quote:

How long should I run at particular throttle openings for a plug chop? I'm finding answers ranging from half a mile to five miles.
I usually try for a half mile. Seems to be plenty of time/distance.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

AncientTV posted:

How long should I run at particular throttle openings for a plug chop?

:wtc:

Please explain.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

epswing posted:

:wtc:

Please explain.

As spark plugs can be read to get an idea of how your engine is running, they can be used more accurately to test the fuel/air mixture of particular throttle openings, and thus the tuning of your bike.

A plug chop is when you ride your bike for a certain distance (what I was asking about) at a single throttle opening (1/4, half, 3/4, WOT). At the end of that distance, you disengage your clutch, hit the kill switch (while keeping the same throttle up until this point) and coast to somewhere safe. Now when you remove your plugs, they will give you an idea about the air/fuel mixture at that throttle opening, allowing you to tune your bike pretty accurately.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 7, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So you try to hit the kill switch with the throttle still turned? Or you throttle down and immediately hit the kill switch, and that half-second in between doesn't matter.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
As far as I know, you do it with the throttle still turned. You clutch in and kill the bike simultaneously.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don't get it. Left hand is busy holding the clutch, right hand is busy holding the throttle. So you hit the kill switch with your nose, then? :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
At a neutral throttle position, after a necessary regrip, my thumb can reach over to the killswitch with ease, and I've got tiny babby hands :v:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

epswing posted:

Don't get it. Left hand is busy holding the clutch, right hand is busy holding the throttle. So you hit the kill switch with your nose, then? :v:

Where the hell is your killswitch? You should be able to reach all of your buttons and switches without removing your hands from the grips.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I had to read up on it and found this:

quote:

“Plug Chop Plug Chop Plug Chop” I cry!
“Until you learn to feel me,
You’ll have to do it by eye.”

When it's dirty and black, it's got the shits,
You have too much gas you are running rich.

When its hot and white, but looks pretty clean,
You're 'bout to blow your poo poo up; you're running lean.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Plug_chop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Where the hell is your killswitch? You should be able to reach all of your buttons and switches without removing your hands from the grips.

For some reason I thought it was further. Never mind!

In other news my GS500 idles at about 1600. Methinks that's a bit high. The gstwins wiki says 1200. The picture on that page suggests I'll have to remove my fairings to do this.

Rats.