Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
No masterkey! Thanks, though. I'm also getting really tired of blighttown, so I'm gonna go try that ghost area or maybe the skellies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus Maximus
Dec 15, 2007

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
Fellow Goons,

I'm a grown-rear end (somewhat respectable...aw, who am I foolin') man. It's almost midnight and I'm without a copy (thanks Amazon). I just got done with work and I have to go to loving Walmart for the chance that I might score some of that sweet, sweet Soulnani that I'm craving. What is wrong with me? :smithicide:

On a side note, anyone know what kind of recourse I have against Amazon when they've already charged me and still haven't shipped the game? That seems really shady to me. I know I can cancel, but... I want the stupid CE. Is there any way I can stick it to them? I wrote a nasty e-mail earlier today, but there has been no response yet.

EDIT: I didn't want to actually buy it (I really was that desperate), so I tried Blockbuster. No local store got copies for PS3, only XBox. Then I read a post of someone finding the game in a RedBox. What the gently caress... I went and sure enough, there it was. I think I know where all the copies went.

Stumpus Maximus fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 5, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

bobby2times posted:

So I rang the 1st bell after the gargoyles and have no idea where to go now. Do I go to the door with the fat guy with a giant club who 1 hits me? Also gently caress those fire bomb throwers, seriously.

I need to know this too

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Two questions:

Is the typical path once you leave the tutorial to go up to the bull headed monster? Am I missing something along the way?

Can I hang around a bonfire to get Estus Flasks replenished?

Someone tell me I'm going the wrong way. I beat Demon's Souls through NG++, and I am getting DESTROYED. SL4 trying to fight this bull guy.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Someone tell me I'm going the wrong way. I beat Demon's Souls through NG++, and I am getting DESTROYED. SL4 trying to fight this bull guy.

That pig thing? You can hide behind the pillars one right and it can't touch you. Shove your sword up it's arse for big damage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Remember when the tutorial flat out told you to do the falling attack on the assylum demon when you walked in that upper fog gate? Do that to him. As you walk into this bosses arena there is a ladder behind you, lure the boss away, sprint over there, climb it quick, and goomba stomp him when he comes near, repeat about 3 more times. Don't dwadle too long though because he will jump up there after you eventually.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Anyone kill the giant rat? is it worth it? Because gently caress if I'm going to die to that monster again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

Anyone kill the giant rat? is it worth it? Because gently caress if I'm going to die to that monster again.
Dropped down out of the whole in the ceiling and put a spear in its back, it was awesome.

edit: always do your dropping attack when you are falling. Always. You never know when you will hit something.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Can't wait to flog this on eBay once Dark Souls Limited Edition gets discontinued.

All still sealed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I killed (Undead burbs spoiler) The full body of the red dragon. Took about 350 arrows doing between 16 and 21 damage a shot. I estamate his health to be in the 6200 area, so adjust accordingly if your bow does more/less damage.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

DeathSandwich posted:

Remember when the tutorial flat out told you to do the falling attack on the assylum demon when you walked in that upper fog gate? Do that to him. As you walk into this bosses arena there is a ladder behind you, lure the boss away, sprint over there, climb it quick, and goomba stomp him when he comes near, repeat about 3 more times. Don't dwadle too long though because he will jump up there after you eventually.

I'm stuck on the Taurus demon as well, but I don't recall seeing any sort of tip in the tutorial, how do I do the falling attack?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So I killed (Undead burbs spoiler) The full body of the red dragon. Took about 350 arrows doing between 16 and 21 damage a shot. I estamate his health to be in the 6200 area, so adjust accordingly if your bow does more/less damage.

You are a crazy person.

But Not Tonight posted:

I'm stuck on the Taurus demon as well, but I don't recall seeing any sort of tip in the tutorial, how do I do the falling attack?

Just hit r1/rb as you're falling.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

But Not Tonight posted:

Tap/hammer R1 once your fall starts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I don't understand how to kick and jump attack... LS + attack buttons is what the game says.

If I push the stick in any direction and attack, I just attack. I've also tried clicking the stick in. Sometimes my dude will seemingly randomly kick or do a jump attack, but I have no idea what the proper way to do it is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't understand how to kick and jump attack... LS + attack buttons is what the game says.

If I push the stick in any direction and attack, I just attack. I've also tried clicking the stick in. Sometimes my dude will seemingly randomly kick or do a jump attack, but I have no idea what the proper way to do it is.

Forward and light attack at the same time for a kick, forward and heavy attack at the same time for a jumping attack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's a timing issue, just keep practicing. I personally think the stick throw has to be be just barely before you hit the attack button.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cant seem to equip arrows. I bought a bow and standard arrows and they seem to equip but I can't shoot them. This new double slot thing is confusing.

Mug posted:

Can't wait to flog this on eBay once Dark Souls Limited Edition gets discontinued.

All still sealed.

Goddamit, the US version is huge. I can't even get it on the shelf. I wish we got a nice box like that, that would sit flush next to my Demon's special edition.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Professor Latency posted:

You are a crazy person.

Well, slightly less crazy than I originally thought. Counting failed me, and it was actually just over 250 arrows, so it's health is in the 4300-4400 range.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Flick your control stick and attack at the same time.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
How does the Darkwood Garden connect to the Darkwood Basin?
I can't seem to find the path and I just killed the butterfly. What does that key open? I cant open the magically sealed door

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Getting Cursed in this game is the worst thing ever... I'm trying to undo it but I feel like my character is hosed.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
The kick only works for me if I'm locked on, so try that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

empathe posted:

How does the Darkwood Garden connect to the Darkwood Basin?
I can't seem to find the path and I just killed the butterfly. What does that key open? I cant open the magically sealed door

If you are running into the garden from the parish, if you take a sharp right the first chance you get you get to a scenic cliff facing back toward the undead burb. There is actually a hidden trail in the cliffside that leads down on the right side of that scenic view.

That key you got is to the door near where you fight the Tauros back in the burbs

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Anyone know where I can find a longbow? I'm looking to start upgrading a bow to make dragon-murder easier and the dinky short-bow I got from the vendor seems like a bad choice.

Also, any idea if you can be summoned to help kill a boss you've already taken care of yourself? I'm wondering if I could leave my soul sign in the church and make some cash that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vanguard Warden posted:

Also, any idea if you can be summoned to help kill a boss you've already taken care of yourself? I'm wondering if I could leave my soul sign in the church and make some cash that way.
When you're summoned you are leaving your world and entering someone else's, so the state of the game will be unrelated to the state of your world.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I might've gone too heavy on endurance too fast. When I wasn't certain where to put my stats I got my endurance to 26 and now my str/dex is only 12/13 and I hit pretty weakly at sl20 with a +3 spear.

I've been trying to kill the guy in the lowest part of the locked tower just before the first boss and he obliterates me with his giant dong weapon.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just found out if you kill the Asylum Demon the first chance you get you get his giant mace so I restarted as a warrior with black firebombs, got it and now I'm gonna pump all my points into strength until I can two-hand it.

Gonna miss that master key, though. :(

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Man, I'm in the Parish now of course as soon as I post whining about it I make it past bridge dragon in one try, didn't even get hit once by fire.

But I really though that portcullis would stay open. :( It does not. My splat was right on the other side of it too! Of course I got gibbed on the way back by the lamest zombies because I got pinned in a corner on a ledge and couldn't target anything.

Oh Dark Souls.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

low-key-taco posted:

I've been trying to kill the guy in the lowest part of the locked tower just before the first boss and he obliterates me with his giant dong weapon.

Get naked and circle strafe him right in his face, smack him once every time he attacks. Takes a few minutes with the drake sword but it's easy enough.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

DeathSandwich posted:

Where were you shooting from? I can't find anywhere that doesn't end with me roasted or waiting 20 seconds between shots. Someone mentioned the black knight tower in the parish, but the dragon disappears as soon as I climb that tower.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I think the trick to figuring this game out is learning to keep your distances with certain enemies. I haven't really had much trouble. (I mean, no more than the standard amount) A bunch of enemies totally overextend themselves and if you're a little bit farther back you can back up while they're swinging and completely avoid the attack easily. Most notably that guy low-key-taco is talking about.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm trying to remain as spoiler-free as possible so I've been kind of avoiding this thread, so sorry if it's been asked before, but I've noticed that I've lost my max amount of Estus Flasks? At one point I had ten, then I noticed after dying at one point my max was 7, now it's steadily at 5 :( I know upgrading bonfires increases the max amount (i think?) but does dying lower the max amount?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm trying to remain as spoiler-free as possible so I've been kind of avoiding this thread, so sorry if it's been asked before, but I've noticed that I've lost my max amount of Estus Flasks? At one point I had ten, then I noticed after dying at one point my max was 7, now it's steadily at 5 :( I know upgrading bonfires increases the max amount (i think?) but does dying lower the max amount?

Five is the default. Sometimes bonfires will be (temporarily) upgraded by other players, and you'll get 10. If you upgrade it yourself, it'll be 10 permanently.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Ugh, turns out my pre-order with Game.co.uk got automatically cancelled because they messed up my name, had to re-order it which means it's unlikely to arrive a day before the official UK release like it usually does!

I guess the real Dark Souls starts here.

Still got the Collector's Edition though. But still, drat it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

No no, the issue is that the firelink bonfire is already upgraded to 10 while the others are all at 5 to start.

edit: or what Darth Windu said...but I didn't know that. I do know that sometimes something happens in other worlds that gives you a free flask...covenant related maybe?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

The first bonfire is already upgraded by 1, so it gives ten. The rest will give five until you spend a point of humanity to upgrade it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

This post has minor (not really) spoilers up till like, let's say SL20.

So, I got a special whatchama call it ember from killing the butterfly, and gave it to the smith in the parish by the forest entrance and he told me to come back later, and I did, but...nothing. I see nothing new for sale or forging, what'd I miss? Also, I got a special soul from the butterfly, who do I give that to in order to get whatever fancy weapon or whatever comes from it?

Also, I don't see how anywhere in your SL20s can the Capra demon be beaten without either cheesing or drake sword. Right off the bat he starts with that double jumping attack which, even blocked (and you basically have to block it because there's no room to dodge) will take off half your life. Good news is though once the dogs are dead, he has the same weakness Taurus does, mainly that running directly into his crotch makes more than half of his attacks whiff over your head.

Also, in the "depths" now. My least favorite part of the game so far, not because of the encounters, other than the curse flies and slimes, i suppose, but because it's a drat sewer maze.

mistaya posted:

But I really though that portcullis would stay open. :( It does not.

And christ, this. I don't care what anyone says about the enemy seeing it, I once came from inside the church killing everyone from the inside out, including the guys on the side area, and once I got past the little platform with the two archers coming down the gate was closed. I doubled back around through firelink and sure enough, no one was alive anywhere near that area short of the basic superdumb zombies on the second floor which were all there and I doubt they did it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Anyone know where I can find a longbow? I'm looking to start upgrading a bow to make dragon-murder easier and the dinky short-bow I got from the vendor seems like a bad choice.

Is the vendor you're talking about the guy right below the firelink bonfire? Or is it somewhere else?

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 5, 2011

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ah okay, thanks guys! So one more stupid question - what ways are there to get humanity? I know there are items that grant it - I've found a few already - but I sometimes notice I just randomly have a point in it, after not having used any items. Is this also a result of other players upgrading the same bonfire I'm using?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Aloofa posted:

Getting Cursed in this game is the worst thing ever... I'm trying to undo it but I feel like my character is hosed.

Curse-cures are 3000 souls and you can buy them from two merchants in the game, one of which is close to Firelink Shrine, and can trade for it using the method I posted in the OP. Don't give up!

I got the game this afternoon and I'm having a blast. I spent the last four or so hours playing the game, burning my way past the first bell and I'm really happy I put the time I did into Demon's Souls. Taking on the first two Black Knights with just the Thief's starting dagger to backstab my way to victory feels awesome. The only bad thing so far is that I kept pounding my chest about making a burly, two-handed heavy armored guy and I find myself addicted again to my light armored Thief like I was in Demon's Souls. Oh well, I still have around 54 hours left, so I'll get to it eventually.

Also, having to download the bonus content ended up being a really horrible idea. I'm chugging along at roughly 15kb/sec at best, so I'm just downloading everything all at once for around 12kb/sec. It sucks that the most efficient way to get this stuff still takes about five hours. I'm copying all this junk to my external hard-drive so I'll never have to do this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

bah I don't feel like I'm making any progress, I've rand the first bell and now I think the only two areas I have available to explore are the forest and New Lando Ruins.

I tried the forest, can't do crap to the electrical demon that guards the path but he's easily avoidable, inside I have made it as far as the hydra one way and the butterfly the other, both one shotted me, and I ran past the giant knights to get there, I didn't try attacking as I was surrounded.

• Locked thread