Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Unless things have changed since the last time I cared about smart cars, they are also nowhere near as fuel efficient as they look, and are extremely expensive for what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

This is all assuming you live in a city without public transport, of course. Still have no idea how those things caught on in London.

I thought it's because they're ridiculously easy to parallel park. In that you just have to pull straight up to the curb.

Although now that I've thought about it longer than to just reply "oh." that sounds real dumb.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

aquatic sideshow posted:

Unless things have changed since the last time I cared about smart cars, they are also nowhere near as fuel efficient as they look, and are extremely expensive for what you get.

This, a million times this.

For about the same price or cheaper, you could easily get a gently-used/factory re-certified Honda or Toyota that gets better gas mileage, and actually has, you know...trunk space and room for more than one passenger.

The only reason anyone gets them over a cheap, used Japanese or Korean car is because they are starting to become trendy in some areas/amongst some people.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It been said before, but the Toyota commercial with the giant human made out of other people is just creepy. I rather not see Legion's car ride to work.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SamBishop posted:

Gary Busey is pure joy. Wait, not joy, I meant crazy that collapses into joy just by watching it. It's like Schrodinger's Brain Condition, a superstate of nuts and hilarity that becomes hilarinuts. I love that man.

You may enjoy the "Street Lessons with Uncle Gary" commercials he did for Saints Row 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvMELFck7ZU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

100 Years in Iraq posted:

You may enjoy the "Street Lessons with Uncle Gary" commercials he did for Saints Row 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvMELFck7ZU

Oh, I did indeed, thank you so much for reminding me of them. "I'm With Busey" was also a tiny peek into how the man's mind works and it's like the more you know, the more insane he becomes -- which is saying something. For those that aren't terrified by the man (and I don't blame you if you are), I'd highly recommend checking it out if you can find it. Somehow when he's sincere, he's even more disconnected from this reality. And his Buseyism acronyms are... well, I'll just let you guys discover them for yourselves.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rirse posted:

It been said before, but the Toyota commercial with the giant human made out of other people is just creepy. I rather not see Legion's car ride to work.

Nothing bothers me more than that the nose is somebody's rear end.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was trying to figure out how to make a Mass Effect joke along the lines of a Geth car being pretty awesome, but then I saw the toyota commercial in question. There is no :wtc: big enough.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I just saw a commercial, the gist of which is that the loving Chrysler 200 of all things is going to make Detroit known as "the Paris of the midwest"??? Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aquatic sideshow posted:

I just saw a commercial, the gist of which is that the loving Chrysler 200 of all things is going to make Detroit known as "the Paris of the midwest"??? Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

Chrysler's been trying their damndest to say Detroit is going through a renaissance of sorts. Believe me when I say it's not working.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

DJExile posted:

Chrysler's been trying their damndest to say Detroit is going through a renaissance of sorts. Believe me when I say it's not working.

That's for sure. Detroit's been considered a hellhole by the rest of the country since at least the 1970s. It'd take an entire army of Rudy Giuliani types to come in and sweep out all the corruption and crime. Chrysler putting some footage of the few non-abandoned skyscrapers to an Eminem song and proclaiming things are looking up for Motor City isn't fooling anyone.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

aquatic sideshow posted:

The best part is that they don't tell you the 200 is basically a re-skinned Sebring. They've been doing that kind of poo poo for years. Remember how many K-car variants there were?

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Mister Kingdom posted:

The best part is that they don't tell you the 200 is basically a re-skinned Sebring. They've been doing that kind of poo poo for years. Remember how many K-car variants there were?

I mean, everyone knows that, right? Everyone knows that the Chrysler 200 is a piece of poo poo car that no one with a quarter of a brain would ever buy. That's why the commercial must be sarcastic. "Let's reinvent this city with a piece of poo poo car that no one in the world would ever want. Spend more on the commercials then the car."

Stock goes up, executives get bonuses, the entire world laughs until they pee. The pee drains down into a gutter. If you shine a blacklight on the pee, it's an engineering diagram for a car that is better than the Chrysler 200.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Grandpa Pap posted:

That's for sure. Detroit's been considered a hellhole by the rest of the country since at least the 1970s. It'd take an entire army of Rudy Giuliani types to come in and sweep out all the corruption and crime. Chrysler putting some footage of the few non-abandoned skyscrapers to an Eminem song and proclaiming things are looking up for Motor City isn't fooling anyone.

But I thought they were getting a statue of Robocop and their sports teams are doing well!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

But I thought they were getting a statue of Robocop and their sports teams are doing well!

The fact that Detroit is excited to get a statue of a fictional character whose horrible future-city Detroit is pretty much Detroit right now (minus the cyborg cop to clean it up) is so ironic the universe may fold in upon itself and implode.

borealis
May 18, 2008

aquatic sideshow posted:

This actually was a real nickname for Detroit before it turned into a hellhole. :eng101:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

borealis posted:

This actually was a real nickname for Detroit before it turned into a hellhole. :eng101:

They keep trying to brand Pittsburgh as the Paris of Appalachia. Who knew Paris was the gold standard of cities.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The ad for the new season of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on dvd is just creepy. Seeing a bunch of hot women dressed as Carl isn't something a man should be seeing ever.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rirse posted:

The ad for the new season of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on dvd is just creepy. Seeing a bunch of hot women dressed as Carl isn't something a man should be seeing ever.

:gonk::hf::gonk: Oh good, I'm not the only one seeing them, then. It's loving creepy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

aquatic sideshow posted:

Seeing as they're using Eminem as their background music, that's the only thing that makes sense.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
OH GOD THE CREEPY SNICKERS COMMERCIAL WITH THE KIDS IN THE OLD LADY COSTUME IS BACK! :gonk:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

aquatic sideshow posted:

Yeah, someone has to explain this to me. The Smartcar weighs 235 lbs. and gets 41 mpg highway. A Honda Civic weighs over 10 times as much and gets 39 mpg highway. Whoever designed the Smartcar really hosed that up. I also can't imagine driving the Smartcar on a windy highway, I get blown around a little bit in my Civic as it is.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This may sound silly but the new hershey kiss commercial featuring hershey kisses with the pockets of air brings out a really really strong sickening reaction from me. I have what is described as trypophobia which is when the sight of a cluster of holes causes an averse reaction. I feel ill whenever I see the commercial and that is easily one of the commercials that I cannot stand.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pierce and Pierce posted:

OH GOD THE CREEPY SNICKERS COMMERCIAL WITH THE KIDS IN THE OLD LADY COSTUME IS BACK! :gonk:

Yessssss. So creepy, it's hilarious.

Has anyone seen those new Saints' Row the Third commercials taht make no sense? Because I think they're by Tim & Eirc, and I love them.

e: Ends up it might just be one commercial that I saw 2 times and didn't fully process it either time. It's this one.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 5, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Meltathon posted:

Yeah, someone has to explain this to me. The Smartcar weighs 235 lbs. and gets 41 mpg highway. A Honda Civic weighs over 10 times as much and gets 39 mpg highway. Whoever designed the Smartcar really hosed that up. I also can't imagine driving the Smartcar on a windy highway, I get blown around a little bit in my Civic as it is.

I thought maybe 235 pounds was a typo on your part but a civic weighing 10x that amount doesn't jive with that. The smallest 5hp kiddy go-kart you can find will be more than 235. wikipedia says 1600 lbs for a smart car.

Weight is a big factor in city mpg but not so much in hwy mpg where wind resistance is I think is the biggest.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pierce and Pierce posted:

This is such a freaky commercial.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Meltathon posted:

I think the Smart is being marketed as a city car. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go up against big rigs in a Smart.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wagonburner posted:

I thought maybe 235 pounds was a typo on your part but a civic weighing 10x that amount doesn't jive with that. The smallest 5hp kiddy go-kart you can find will be more than 235. wikipedia says 1600 lbs for a smart car.

Weight is a big factor in city mpg but not so much in hwy mpg where wind resistance is I think is the biggest.

Yeah, I misread something on the site, my bad. Looks like it gets 33 mpg city versus Civic's 28.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Meltathon posted:

Yeah, someone has to explain this to me. The Smartcar weighs 235 lbs.

Are you sure you didn't leave out a zero there or something? I have trouble believing I weigh more than a car.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I visited Europe earlier this year, and I noticed a ton of smart cars on the road there, but I think it works. The streets in general are extremely narrow, and so are the lanes. When driving into Rome, there was barely room for two full-size cars to be side by side to each other, so you see a ton of smart cars and bikes, just because their cities aren't designed with heavy traffic in mind (and on a bike you can just weave through the stopped cars). I don't see why they would catch on in the US though, because we don't have the problem of cars literally not fitting on the streets.

SOLTAR
Jul 23, 2004

*Beep* *Beep*
"Chicken nuggets please!"
"Sir, this is a Taco Bell."
"Oh, then a pint or something for the lady."
"We don't serve alcohol."
"Well bloody hell."
I remember seeing a Smartcar on the Grapevine here in Cali. The grapevine is a mountain with slopes and inclines that can give my Honda Civic a hard time. Sometimes it's even very windy. Whoever was driving that vehicle had balls or a death wish.

Also what do you guys think about video game characters advertising food? (I'm not for this)

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDH140dLq5M

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That works fine. Seems kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DJExile posted:

That works fine. Seems kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Everything involving Nolan North is pretty tongue in cheek. I think it works, too.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Am i the only one bothered by the Vonage commercial with the barista(?). Now talk on your phone and spin instead of doing your job even though it's visibly pissing off your customers!

Also the consumerist is doing voting for the worst commercial
http://consumerist.com/2011/10/vote-here-for-the-worst-ad-in-america-awards.html

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

The Merkinman posted:

Am i the only one bothered by the Vonage commercial with the barista(?). Now talk on your phone and spin instead of doing your job even though it's visibly pissing off your customers!

Also the consumerist is doing voting for the worst commercial
http://consumerist.com/2011/10/vote-here-for-the-worst-ad-in-america-awards.html

Anyone who votes for anything other than the "Babies in the making GBS threads contest" commercial for "Worst Overall" is wrong. Just plain wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SOLTAR posted:

I remember seeing a Smartcar on the Grapevine here in Cali. The grapevine is a mountain with slopes and inclines that can give my Honda Civic a hard time. Sometimes it's even very windy. Whoever was driving that vehicle had balls or a death wish.

Also what do you guys think about video game characters advertising food? (I'm not for this)

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDH140dLq5M

Mario was in McDonald's commercials back when SMB3 came out, it's certainly nothing new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllOTcRXkGc

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Captain Kickass posted:

Anyone who votes for anything other than the "Babies in the making GBS threads contest" commercial for "Worst Overall" is wrong. Just plain wrong.

Sorry, 'Spider' gets my vote just for the fact that the shrieking is jarring and ear piercing no matter how low the volume is set at.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

Sorry, 'Spider' gets my vote just for the fact that the shrieking is jarring and ear piercing no matter how low the volume is set at.
Yeah, this, definitely. There are a lot of commercials I don't like, but making GBS threads babies is just dumb, that stupid loving banshee is horrible.

I also feel bad that I voted Flo as the most irritating human performance before I realized that multitasking Metamucil lady was one of the options. :negative: I don't like Flo, but Metamucil lady is annoying as gently caress in every commercial she's in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I don't like Flo, but Metamucil lady is annoying as gently caress in every commercial she's in.

Isn't she the same one in those Esurance ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, this, definitely. There are a lot of commercials I don't like, but making GBS threads babies is just dumb, that stupid loving banshee is horrible.

It's not just dumb. It didn't just spring to life and appear on the air. A room full of adults sat around and thought that thing up. Every aspect of that was pitched and produced by real people, from the idea of a making GBS threads contest to the people who actually sang the words 'poop there it is'. Everything about that commercial is horrible in the truest definition of the word.

And I'm only being slightly dramatic, the fact that these things exist and knowing how they come about really baffles me in a way.