Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008
Can anybody tell me what the total memory size for the PS2 games are? I've got an 80GB model and between DLC and game installs, I've had to clear a lot out to make room on several occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Can anybody tell me what the total memory size for the PS2 games are? I've got an 80GB model and between DLC and game installs, I've had to clear a lot out to make room on several occasions.

You really don't need to worry. Entire memory cards are generally about 8-16 MB. Unless you have literally hundreds of PS2 games with large save files, you won't even notice it.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Morpheus posted:

You really don't need to worry. Entire memory cards are generally about 8-16 MB. Unless you have literally hundreds of PS2 games with large save files, you won't even notice it.

Oh, I should have been more specific, I'm looking for the game size.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

If you mean the games themselves, they range from 500MB-3.5GB.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

If you mean the games themselves, they range from 500MB-3.5GB.

Yikes! I want all five of these babies, especially if the slowdown in Odin Sphere has been improved at all. I guess I'll check my HD space later, if I can remember how.

How was/is Grimgrimoire? I never really got into the whole Nippon Ichi thing, as their games seemed to reward grinding over strategy, and Tsunami Bomb was not a solid selling point.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Yikes! I want all five of these babies, especially if the slowdown in Odin Sphere has been improved at all. I guess I'll check my HD space later, if I can remember how.

How was/is Grimgrimoire? I never really got into the whole Nippon Ichi thing, as their games seemed to reward grinding over strategy, and Tsunami Bomb was not a solid selling point.

More specifically:

God Hand - 1.5GB
GRiMgRiMoiRe - 1.4GB
Ring of Red - 580MB
Maximo - 713MB
Odin Sphere - 3.4GB

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Oh, I should have been more specific, I'm looking for the game size.

Oh yeah, whoops, totally misread that.

Oh poo poo, Tides of Destiny is coming out this month too? gently caress me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Haven't played it myself yet, but I watched My Name Is Kaz's LP for the game (he also did Odin Sphere), and the game looks neat. It's actually a 2D RTS set in a fantasy castle with a witch who keeps repeating the same week over and over, which she gets more powerful in the progress.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

More specifically:

God Hand - 1.5GB
GRiMgRiMoiRe - 1.4GB
Ring of Red - 580MB
Maximo - 713MB
Odin Sphere - 3.4GB

Super coolio, thanks. Odin Sphere happens to be the one I own a disc copy of, so I can sacrifice it if worse comes to worse but I'm positive I have plenty of room for the collection. Hope this little experiment goes well, because this is an absolutely wild set they've got going on here. Imagine the future possibilities - SWERY65's Spy Fiction! Wizardry: TotFL! Trapt! Forever Kingdom! My dignity! My future plans! My wallet.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Super coolio, thanks. Odin Sphere happens to be the one I own a disc copy of, so I can sacrifice it if worse comes to worse but I'm positive I have plenty of room for the collection. Hope this little experiment goes well, because this is an absolutely wild set they've got going on here. Imagine the future possibilities - SWERY65's Spy Fiction! Wizardry: TotFL! Trapt! Forever Kingdom! My dignity! My future plans! My wallet.

Also, to check your HD space, go to Settings->System Settings->System Info in the XMB. It's not very intuitive where to find that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I beat inFamous 2. Got all the dead drops and blast shards, purchased all the powers and upgrades (a bitch to do on Hard difficulty), and did all the side missions.

Why is it saying I only have 95% completion?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Jamesman posted:

I beat inFamous 2. Got all the dead drops and blast shards, purchased all the powers and upgrades (a bitch to do on Hard difficulty), and did all the side missions.

I remember that the first game wouldn't show 100% completion until you bought all the powers for both good and evil sides. Which is retarded. Platinum should work ok though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sure seems like the load times and slowdown on Odin Sphere are fixed. And it looks beautiful.

There's one boss near the end of Gwen's part that has the worst slowdown though, I guess I won't know for sure until I get there.

Can you esplain this game to me a little?

full disclosure: With the exception of like, Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, I'm not much of a Japanese gamer. JRPGS and all that Anime stuff just doesn't do it for me. (No judgements, though!) I'm also not really a nostalgic gamer. I like the new poo poo.

That said, I just watched a short youtube of Odin Sphere gameplay and found the art, sidescrolly-ness and whatnot to be novel and very lush and cool. I'm intrigued. Very intrigued.

Cliff's notes on story and gameplay style? And does it have anything that will make my fiancee raise an eyebrow at me?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I think you have to do a second run through to get 100% because you can get all powers on one character when you beat it a second time.

e:f;b

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Feenix posted:

Cliff's notes on story and gameplay style? And does it have anything that will make my fiancee raise an eyebrow at me?

First, no, the game is fairly free of anime nonsense (though some of the characters are a little strange in the fashion department). Oh and the queen of the underworld has really big breasts, but that's besides it.

The game is a sidescrolling action-RPG. You fight enemies, progress chapters, and level up as five different characters in intermingling fighting styles, each with distinct fighting styles. The levels are basically divided in circles (or spheres, I suppose). Experience is in the form of Phozon (I think?), a substance that your weapon can absorb to raise its strength experience. If, however, you plant seeds, you can grow plants that can be eaten or cooked then eaten to raise your health experience.

The game's biggest drawback was its framerate issues, though there is also the problem with repetitiveness, as you'll find yourself fighting the same bosses a few times, with different characters each time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Can you esplain this game to me a little?

full disclosure: With the exception of like, Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, I'm not much of a Japanese gamer. JRPGS and all that Anime stuff just doesn't do it for me. (No judgements, though!) I'm also not really a nostalgic gamer. I like the new poo poo.

That said, I just watched a short youtube of Odin Sphere gameplay and found the art, sidescrolly-ness and whatnot to be novel and very lush and cool. I'm intrigued. Very intrigued.

The gameplay is a basic side-scrolling hack and slash RPG with five characters, all of which play pretty differently. It also has some really fun and unique farming elements. Basically in battle you plant seeds that grow from the deaths of your enemies. The things that these grow ban be used to make items that increase all your abilities. I mean, you grow sheep trees! It's awesome!

The game's plot is basically the anime version of Wagner's Ring Cycle, which makes it feel little more respectable than most anime games, but it's still kind of anime at times with character designs like this.

Edit: gently caress; beaten AGAIN

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I wouldn't even say the plot's very anime. It's more laid out like a set of shakespearian fables or plays. There's a lot of mooning around on a balcony soliloquizing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

axleblaze posted:

That'll teach you to make long, informative text dumps rather than post the first thing that comes into your head! :v:

edit: for instance, spelling errers are gud posting :downs:

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 5, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The game's biggest drawback was its framerate issues, though there is also the problem with repetitiveness, as you'll find yourself fighting the same bosses a few times, with different characters each time.

There is a serious problem with repetitiveness and honestly a lot of it comes from pacing. You'll fight a boss as one character and then immediately fight the same boss as another character, and despite the difference in playstyle a lot of the enemies end up feeling very sameish, and there's a lot of revisiting places. I wanted to like Odin Sphere more then I did but god drat does it repeat itself a lot.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Urban Achiever posted:

Great commercial until the whole 'Michael' thing.

Agreed.

Fuckin' Ghost man.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

axleblaze posted:

The gameplay is a basic side-scrolling hack and slash RPG with five characters, all of which play pretty differently. It also has some really fun and unique farming elements. Basically in battle you plant seeds that grow from the deaths of your enemies. The things that these grow ban be used to make items that increase all your abilities. I mean, you grow sheep trees! It's awesome!

The game's plot is basically the anime version of Wagner's Ring Cycle, which makes it feel little more respectable than most anime games, but it's still kind of anime at times with character designs like this.

Tempting. How "crisp" does the sprites/art look on PS3? Because in Youtubes it looks pretty nice.

I suppose for a gameshare price I might be willing to dip my toe in it...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zero Karizma posted:

Agreed.

Fuckin' Ghost man.
Yeah, I get that it's supposed to mean 'you' as in the player that all the characters are cheering for, but they could've come up with something other than Michael. Hate that guy. Also no Kevin Butler.

In other news, holy poo poo Borderlands + all the DLC for 14 euros? How did I miss this?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I get that it's supposed to mean 'you' as in the player that all the characters are cheering for, but they could've come up with something other than Michael. Hate that guy. Also no Kevin Butler.

In other news, holy poo poo Borderlands + all the DLC for 14 euros? How did I miss this?

I think there was actually some sort of contest for this. Like, "Send a picture of yourself playing your PS3 and an essay as to why we should pick you" tye fo thing.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Stare-Out posted:

Agreed. It's obvious, but since I don't play any of the major multiplayer games on PS3, I kinda thought Michael might be the main guy from Resistance 3 for the first few seconds.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I think there was actually some sort of contest for this. Like, "Send a picture of yourself playing your PS3 and an essay as to why we should pick you" tye fo thing.
Ah, that makes a bit more sense. And it is pretty neat to have VAs reprise roles despite not physically appearing in the ad, though Old Snake looked weird as hell.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Stare-Out posted:

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. And it is pretty neat to have VAs reprise roles despite not physically appearing in the ad, though Old Snake looked weird as hell.

Obviously30yearoldguyinoldmanmakeup Snake.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Argh Sony Europe where is Castlevania HD do you not want my money Arghhh :ssj:

In other less angry news, Costume Quest is now free to all Euro PSN+ subscribers. So if you haven't already, you don't have a reason not to turn into a Giant Robot and Unicorn to fight goblins. Just like a Halloween warm up!

Ad talk: Would be a lot cooler if if was one of those web videos that let you insert your own picture into it. Feels like a missed opportunity there. Sweet voice and game cameos though.

Also there's a new upcoming Gran Turismo 5 update (2.0) which adds a ton of new features, such as

- All ‘standard’ cars will now feature an interior view (!)
- Shortening of load times and improved menu response (!!)
- Improved and enhanced user interface
- Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels

and some more such as improved physics and AI. More details here. DId I mention it's completely free? Real swell of them.

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 5, 2011

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sure seems like the load times and slowdown on Odin Sphere are fixed. And it looks beautiful.

There's one boss near the end of Gwen's part that has the worst slowdown though, I guess I won't know for sure until I get there.
I'm dying to know the answer to this. I've got this and every other one of the PS2 classics on a shelf and a BC PS3, but digital copies and subtle improvements have me sorely tempted.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tamagod Sushi posted:

- All ‘standard’ cars will now feature an interior view (!)
- Shortening of load times and improved menu response (!!)
- Improved and enhanced user interface
- Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels

YESSS

YESSSSSSS

Good news on the G27. Glad I didn't get mine yet; I thought they were already supported.

vvvvv HELL YES vvvvvv

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's official: Yakuza: Of the End is coming out in the US under the name Yakuza: Dead Souls.

It'll be out in March according to the comments.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

It's official: Yakuza: Of the End is coming out in the US under the name Yakuza: Dead Souls.

It'll be out in March according to the comments.
God drat it, now I have to pay money for this. I didn't like the demo at all, but I have to support this series on principle.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Obviously30yearoldguyinoldmanmakeup Snake.

Well, Old Snake is like 40 years old.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Stare-Out posted:

A new ad for PS3. Whoopee.

I'm sorry, that was just creepy for the most part.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dark Souls... Dead Souls... gently caress.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Sony lined up quite a few decent titles for the "Only on PSN" event. It only took them, what, 3 years, but they finally seem to have an event that challenges the Summer of Arcade.

Really glad to see Sideway and Rochard on there in particular. Those got announced earlier this year, and looked to be pretty promising indie titles. Okabu could be interesting too, and it's nice to see Rocketbirds finally making it to market (they've been in dev for, what, a couple years now).

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Urban Achiever posted:

Dark Souls... Dead Souls... gently caress.

Look for the new Dead Space game, Dead Space: Dying Souls. Also, Uncharted 4: Deader Souls. Plus Saints Row 4: Bitch These loving Souls gently caress They Dead Yo Yo.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
God damnit. I want to buy Dark Souls and Uncharted 3 but also Battlefield 3.

I still haven't finished Deus Ex :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Sony lined up quite a few decent titles for the "Only on PSN" event. It only took them, what, 3 years, but they finally seem to have an event that challenges the Summer of Arcade.

Nice to see they also went the extra mile to tag their release dates for last year.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

a shameful boehner posted:

God damnit. I want to buy Dark Souls and Uncharted 3 but also Battlefield 3.

I still haven't finished Deus Ex :(

I still haven't finished New Vegas, so I can't play Deus Ex. :smith: Me and my new policy of don't play new poo poo until I beat what I'm currently on.

[I could probably finish New Vegas right now if I wanted, but I'm trying to do something... different to end it]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

I still haven't finished New Vegas, so I can't play Deus Ex. :smith: Me and my new policy of don't play new poo poo until I beat what I'm currently on.

[I could probably finish New Vegas right now if I wanted, but I'm trying to do something... different to end it]

I should probably adopt a policy like this. I have a few unfinished RPGs, an unifnished Evil-side Infamous 2 playthrough, and a barely started GTA: The Lost and the Damned.

• Locked thread