Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Would a kind soul please tell me how to get to the butterfly boss? I just killed hydra and am at the smith bonfire. I have no idea how to get to the butterfly, but I've seen it from afar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Alectai posted:

Summon signs can only be put down by boss doors I think.

Not sure how to do an invasion though, the option has always been crossed out for me

White summon signs can be put down near boss doors and also near the beginning of an area.

Invasions, bizarrely, seem to require the invader being human in order to invade. You can get a handful of the cracked invasion stones near Firelink, and while I haven't used one, the option to use them has only been available to me when I wasn't Hollowed. No clue if the various Covenant invasion stones work the same way or not.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Willfrey posted:

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

It's a ring that ups your defense when you get to 20%(?) Health.

If you can kill him he also has a chance to drop his sword

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Willfrey posted:

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Once you beat the Gargoyle bosses theres an npc in the belltower who sells the book of the guilty and indictments. He also has break covenant as one of his options. I have no idea whether doing that with him incurs a penalty though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I decided to make the run to the undead dragon to pick up the faith scaling sword and the shield. You get some nice leathers on the way too. My goal was to make a faith type fighter, so it sounded like a good choice.

Astora's straight sword doesn't seem to be matching up to the drake sword though. It says it does 80 physical and 80 magic, compared to 200 for the drake sword. I would be happy if I were hitting for 160, as I like the animations for straight swords better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I just tested it on one of those sword and shield knights around the chapel. Astora's sword does 41 per hit, compared to 103 for the drake sword.

It it just that I don't have pumped enough stats, or is there something else I am missing?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
To the guy that killed the dragon with arrows, where did you shoot him? Because I've been landing 18 damage arrows into his tail-stump for ages and I swear his health isn't moving.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm staying away from this thread as much as I can before I get the chance to play the game (come on Fridaaay!), but I'm still curious about things. Can anybody give a spoiler-free impression about how the game is in general? Is it as good as Demon's Souls? Any specific parts that are leagues better or worse, etc?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 5, 2011

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Filthy Monkey posted:

I decided to make the run to the undead dragon to pick up the faith scaling sword and the shield. You get some nice leathers on the way too. My goal was to make a faith type fighter, so it sounded like a good choice.

Astora's straight sword doesn't seem to be matching up to the drake sword though. It says it does 80 physical and 80 magic, compared to 200 for the drake sword. I would be happy if I were hitting for 160, as I like the animations for straight swords better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I just tested it on one of those sword and shield knights around the chapel. Astora's sword does 41 per hit, compared to 103 for the drake sword.

It it just that I don't have pumped enough stats, or is there something else I am missing?

Is your Faith at 14+ as the sword requires?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is the estus flask upgrade person in Darktown?

And yeah I have 14 faith to use the sword as well, but it just doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as the Dragon sword. Nothing I have is really comparable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So are you supposed to eat those fire keeper souls?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

Once you beat the Gargoyle bosses theres an npc in the belltower who sells the book of the guilty and indictments. He also has break covenant as one of his options. I have no idea whether doing that with him incurs a penalty though.

Gamespot had a blurb about that in their 'game guide' for Dark Souls, I think they said no penalties, but I'm too lazy to go look again.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

So are you supposed to eat those fire keeper souls?

No. Don't do it.

Take them To the mute woman in the firelink shrine. Or if she's dead there is a woman in darktown or something that can do it. But I can't find her. Anyone got any hints?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Curses and the cures are really sapping my will to play. I traded all my cracked red eye orbs for the cure at Sparkly, but apparently the game doesn't recognize stacks so I only got two.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vanguard Warden posted:

To the guy that killed the dragon with arrows, where did you shoot him? Because I've been landing 18 damage arrows into his tail-stump for ages and I swear his health isn't moving.

He heals when he's on top of the Church, apparently. His health as listed in the guide is much, much lower than what people in here were estimating, so I'm guessing he may be regenerating while he's perched.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

GreatGreen posted:

I'm staying away from this thread as much as I can before I get the chance to play the game (come on Fridaaay!), but I'm still curious about things. Can anybody give a spoiler-free impression about how the game is in general? Is it as good as Demon's Souls? Any specific parts that are leagues better or worse, etc?

It's a lot more unforgiving than Demon's Souls, in general though, it's a lot more polished. I'm not far into the game but I'm already liking the bonfire system way more than the Nexus.

In short, if you liked Demon's Souls you'll probably like this as well. So far I like it MORE than DeS.

Also, all the enemies are badass and have the ability to match the look.

The humanity system works better than the soul system as well, in my opinion.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

He heals

Augh. That is disgusting. Guess I should come back after I've upgraded my bow into a laser-cannon.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

GreatGreen posted:

I haven't played that long, maybe like 4 hours, but so far I really dig it. Combat feels like it did in Demon's Souls. Everything has a nice weighty feel. As far as I can tell, the difficulty seems similar, but I'm in the first area, so...

No more Nexus. You rest at bonfires scattered throughout the world. No more healing herbs either; you refill health through Estus flasks which you can refill by resting at the bonfires. I like recharging them at bonfires, but I kind of miss being able to stockpile herbs. You can increase the number of flasks you get at a particular bonfire if you kindle it (which costs Humanity I think?).

I'm super happy with it! If you liked Demon's Souls, you'll probably love this one.

e:f,b But yeah, as Smelly says, it seems a bit more brutal in terms of punishing fuckups. I like it more than I did Demon's Souls too which is saying a lot.

nauggins fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Is your Faith at 14+ as the sword requires?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And yeah I have 14 faith to use the sword as well, but it just doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as the Dragon sword. Nothing I have is really comparable.

Yeah, I meet all the stats for Astora's sword. It just isn't doing even comparable damage. It is shame, because I want to use it too. It is like the magic damage part of it is being completely ignored.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

nauggins posted:

You can increase the number of flasks you get at a particular bonfire if you kindle it (which costs Humanity I think?).

Kindling costs 1 point of humanity, but that bonfire is permanently kindled.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
So, killed the Gargoyles and now I'm lost. I seem too weak to go anywhere! PLEASE HALP.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So, killed the Gargoyles and now I'm lost. I seem too weak to go anywhere! PLEASE HALP.

There's a key you should have received in your travels. There's a locked door on the Taurus Demon's end of the Dragon Bridge that leads to a new section of the 'Berg.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Schubalts posted:

Kindling costs 1 point of humanity, but that bonfire is permanently kindled.

No...it costs at least 2 points. One to make you alive and one to kindle. It really makes me sad that killing bosses doesn't "revive" you like in the last game. This makes PVP much harder as well as kindling.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

You should've gotten a key near the church area. It opens the door just before the bridge after where you fought the bull demon.

Ankle-biter posted:

It really makes me sad that killing bosses doesn't "revive" you like in the last game. This makes PVP much harder as well as kindling.

Humanity is cheap and accessible, really. Every time you kill a boss as a blue phantom you get a humanity. Honestly the system is exactly the same as Demon Souls except you can bank up your bodies when you already have one, and you'll sometimes get a body from a random trash enemy.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 5, 2011

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Hakkesshu posted:

You're going to have to get over the "x feels like cheating" mindset. These games are so impeccably designed that regardless of whether or not you have a good sword, it's not really going to matter if you aren't up to using it. Unless you're deliberately exploiting a glitch or something, there's nothing wrong with trying to gain an advantage, because the game certainly doesn't grant you that favour on its own.

Yeah, I realize that, I played Demons Souls quite a bit, but I wouldnt have known about the Drake Sword or how to get it if I didnt read this thread or watch a stream before hand.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Argh! How the gently caress do I drop items!? I'm sick of carrying around cracked sword hilts and hollow warrior armours!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Has anyone been using Iron Skin? I'm hoping to make a heavy armor/high str build that uses it, proabably combined with some electric resistant armor to offset the spell's weakness, sacrificing all of my mobility to be a juggernaut.

I've only just gotten into the Berg Depths though so I have yet to see the spell in action.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Nechronic posted:

Has anyone been using Iron Skin? I'm hoping to make a heavy armor/high str build that uses it, proabably combined with some electric resistant armor to offset the spell's weakness, sacrificing all of my mobility to be a juggernaut.

I've only just gotten into the Berg Depths though so I have yet to see the spell in action.

Works pretty well if you know how to use it, even using light armor and popping it damage to me turns into chips

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Argh! How the gently caress do I drop items!? I'm sick of carrying around cracked sword hilts and hollow warrior armours!

Go to your inventory (not your equipment menu), select the piece of equipment, choose 'Drop'.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Find the item in your menu (item menu not equip screen), select it, hit drop. It's right under 'use'.

I feel like some stuff might be unfairly obscure to the point where I don't feel bad telling people secret stuff on a more fundamental level. Like the fact that you can get special items by lopping off body parts of enemies who have body parts you can lop off.

Half of this stuff can conveyed by a "Weakness: [Limb]" message on the ground anyway.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

coyo7e posted:

Go into your items list (Not equip) hover over the item and hit X/A, it'll bring up a list and drop is one of the options.

Edit: Beaten twice.

Also in regards to humanity, they said it was going to be harder to obtain, but I've got so much stacked I don't think I have to worry for a long time.

J
Jun 10, 2001

coyo7e posted:

I don't know about just dropping items from inventory since I haven't thought about that and don't have the game on right now, but once you get to the depths, there is a merchant there that will sell you an item called the bottomless box. It basically acts as a storage item you can use at bonfires to put stuff in for the sake of decluttering your inventory, it costs 1000 souls and the vendor is pretty close to the boss of the depths so you can buy it before you throw away souls learning the boss. :haw: It is re-usable, it is one of those items that adds a menu option at bonfires in case I wasn't clear.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My friend told me about the Drake Sword and I hate it. After spending 3 hours on Moonlight Butterfly with 5 flasks, no ranged weapon, no magic, just a halberd I'm too weak to use doing 15 damage a hit, I sold out and used the sword. I feel really dirty. I'm not letting myself use this sword again. I should drop it somewhere in Undead Burg; maybe it will turn into a gamebreaking phantom for some unlucky gently caress.

Willfrey posted:

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

If you get close enough for him to see/follow you, you can sprint back a few platforms to the one with a ladder, three enemies, and a small guard tower with a crossbow archer on top. Climb the ladder, and keep an eye on the knight. He lost me at this point and started walking around this area aimlessly, giving me plenty of time to sprint back to his original location and grab the item he's guarding. Get it and get the hell out of there quickly, because there's nothing else down those stairs.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 5, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there any way to replenish your health and mana pools mid-field, away from campfires, not using estus flasks or whatever they're called? Are there any mechanisms in the game that allow some form of auto-regen of your resource pools like the Fragrant Ring or Regenerator's Ring in Demon's Souls?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any way to replenish your health and mana pools mid-field, away from campfires, not using estus flasks or whatever they're called? Are there any mechanisms in the game that allow some form of auto-regen of your resource pools like the Fragrant Ring or Regenerator's Ring in Demon's Souls?

I don't know about the latter, but the former you have spells and using humanity items will give you more health as well.

As far as mana, there isn't any. You have charges for your spells, once you're out you have to go to a bonfire to refill. Though you can buy say 2 soul ray spells and carry double the amount.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Willfrey posted:

There is an easier/cheesier way to get that item... from the bridge right near the bonfire, where you get constantly firebombed, you can roll off the edge and land on the little ledge behind that guy. Grab the item and then run like hell past him, if you're quick you can make it back to the bonfire so he resets. This is much easier if you kill all the regular guys in the area first.

J
Jun 10, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

I found a ring that gives me 30 hp every time I kill an enemy, and I've also found a sword that supposedly heals every time I hit something but I don't have the stats to use it properly. I'm sure there are probably other things as well.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

enojy posted:

My friend told me about the Drake Sword and I hate it. After spending 3 hours on Moonlight Butterfly with 5 flasks, no ranged weapon, no magic, just a halberd I'm too weak to use doing 15 damage a hit, I sold out and used the sword. I feel really dirty. I'm not letting myself use this sword again. I should drop it somewhere in Undead Burg; maybe it will turn into a gamebreaking phantom for some unlucky gently caress.

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

Also the drake sword doesn't have a lunging stab attack and that just won't do. :colbert:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If you have faith, there are healing spells too. The cleric even starts with one. It is pretty useful, though too slow for an in-combat heal.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Also the drake sword doesn't have a lunging stab attack and that just won't do. :colbert:
Yeah, I really miss that attack. It makes me really with Astora's sword didn't seem broken.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any goons want to put together an IRC channel for this? I would but I dunno what I'm doing with IRC host commands so I'd probably gently caress it up somehow. :ohdear:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

GreatGreen posted:

There's a ring found, I think, in the Depths, that restores a small amount of health whenever an enemy is killed. Humanity items also are full heals in addition to adding Humanity.

I doubt there's a similar arrangement for spells, since there's no mana anymore.

• Locked thread