Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks for the answers, guys. I guess I'm just nervous about not having my go-to stash of 50 herbs at any given moment.

Then again, maybe the developers balanced the game around the fact that now we don't have that crutch to rely on.

Then again, again, this is From Software, makers of Demon's Souls, so they probably didn't.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I have the AMAZING Futurepress guide(buy this, we need to support this kind of guide-making, the Deus Ex:HR guide was incredible too), so if anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask me.

Everyone complaining about the Drake Sword being "easy mode" needs to realize that you can pump 3000 souls into a loving generic longsword and make it stronger than the Drake Sword. This is Dark Souls, the game is hard, but it's designed so that if you know the systems you can mitigate a lot of that difficulty. Getting the Drake Sword is knowing one of the systems (tails=loot). Upgrading a regular sword is knowing the systems (strait +physical upgrades are cheap and a great way to mitigate the difficulty early on).

The reason the Drake Sword is good isn't because it has 200 attack, it's because its upgrade potential is much higher than a generic weapon. Of course, it is REALLY expensive to upgrade. Believe me, that 200 attack is not going to cut it in NG+ or even later on in your first run through.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vanguard Warden posted:

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

If I may ask, how did you get a Claymore to +5 so fast? I'm a few areas past the Berg now and I think I have a grand total of one Titanite Shard.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vanguard Warden posted:

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

Also the drake sword doesn't have a lunging stab attack and that just won't do. :colbert:

You can 2-hand it just fine, though. I rolled Deprived and am still at the default 11 strength, and there are no stamina/speed repercussions -- it probably requires something like 10 STR to 2-hand. It even blocks half decently, but you can still take low/sweeping hits. The biggest cheese is its 2-handed R2 attack... Storm Ruler 2.0

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
If you run around in undead mode collecting humanity but not actually un-hollowing yourself, do you still drop humanity when you die as well?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

If I may ask, how did you get a Claymore to +5 so fast? I'm a few areas past the Berg now and I think I have a grand total of one Titanite Shard.

There's an npc in Undead Parish who sells them.

GaistHeidegger posted:

If you run around in undead mode collecting humanity but not actually un-hollowing yourself, do you still drop humanity when you die as well?

yes

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Man, me and a summoned pyromancer along with Soltaire destroyed the gargoyle's. I don't even think we got hit more than one time each.
First time fighting it too. :smug:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the answers, guys. I guess I'm just nervous about not having my go-to stash of 50 herbs at any given moment.

Then again, maybe the developers balanced the game around the fact that now we don't have that crutch to rely.

Then again, again, this is From Software, makers of Demon's Souls, so they probably didn't.

It forces you to play a lot more cautiously, though if you're kindling the bonfires, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I get through most areas with about 4-6 Estus Flasks left, and that's me being an idiot most of the time.

"Oh hay this view is awesome I can't believe I can see this fa-" stabbed in the back by a dregling. :saddowns:

J
Jun 10, 2001

AttackBacon posted:

Upgrading a regular sword is knowing the systems (strait +physical upgrades are cheap and a great way to mitigate the difficulty early on).

Going to emphasize this - I had so much trouble with the drat gargoyles, and of course AFTER I finally killed them I had the bright idea of "hey I have a bunch of shards maybe I should upgrade my weapon" which made a world of difference and certainly would have helped me a bunch on the gargs. Been using a halberd+4 for a while now and loving it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Talran posted:

Works pretty well if you know how to use it, even using light armor and popping it damage to me turns into chips

Thanks for the response. Any idea if it scales with an upgraded catalyst? How bad was the mobility hit to you?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Professor Latency posted:

Where the blacksmith is, if you turn around and go past that room with the giant no-headed demon thing you can get into the forest.

There's a blacksmith? in the ruins of londo? There wasn't a room or demon there so I still don't know where the forest is

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I keep hearing from people about how the big jerk up on the ramparts was supposed to drop a weapon when he died. Does this happen 100% of the time? All he gave me was a thousand souls and a headache :sigh:

serling
Aug 25, 2005

I can hear the smithy in the catacombs hammering away. How do I get to him? :saddowns:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Chachi posted:

I keep hearing from people about how the big jerk up on the ramparts was supposed to drop a weapon when he died. Does this happen 100% of the time? All he gave me was a thousand souls and a headache :sigh:

taurus demon? I got jack loving poo poo from him. no souls no nothing. one humanity that I lost to a dragon

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is there a bonfire in the sewers? I'm in the area with the merchant and the locked door but I can't find any way out or a bonfire. The only way to go is the fog gate and seriously if I have to run all the way back from Firelink every time gently caress that.

edit: of course I find it right after I post this. This area is way too dark.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2011

bondster
May 6, 2007

Smelly posted:

Edit2: So does anyone know how I (boss spoiler)managed to get the Taurus Demon's Hammer? I haven't heard anyone else say anything about getting it, was wondering if it was just a random drop. This thing is massive.

I got it on my playthourgh, I never saw the ladder for the tower with the archers, so I said gently caress it, buffed my sword with lightning, and meleed that fucker down :black101:. I got the hammer, and that thing is really slow so I haven't used it yet

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Can you upgrade armor?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

enojy posted:

My friend told me about the Drake Sword and I hate it. After spending 3 hours on Moonlight Butterfly with 5 flasks, no ranged weapon, no magic, just a halberd I'm too weak to use doing 15 damage a hit, I sold out and used the sword. I feel really dirty. I'm not letting myself use this sword again. I should drop it somewhere in Undead Burg; maybe it will turn into a gamebreaking phantom for some unlucky gently caress.

If you get close enough for him to see/follow you, you can sprint back a few platforms to the one with a ladder, three enemies, and a small guard tower with a crossbow archer on top. Climb the ladder, and keep an eye on the knight. He lost me at this point and started walking around this area aimlessly, giving me plenty of time to sprint back to his original location and grab the item he's guarding. Get it and get the hell out of there quickly, because there's nothing else down those stairs.

I see the ladder in the bon fire room, but no clue how to get up there.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

No. Humanity stores itself as an item. Only the humanity that you've consumed and thus applied to your number in the upper left corner can be lost if you die. But if you recover your souls you recover those as well and your number count will go back up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know where the estus flask upgrade vendor is in Darktown?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Chachi posted:

You can get his axe but there's no foolproof way to get it just yet. I got it the first time and then restarted, fought him the exact same way, and didn't get it. It may just be a random drop.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pandanaut posted:

You can get his axe but there's no foolproof way to get it just yet. I got it the first time and then restarted, fought him the exact same way, and didn't get it. It may just be a random drop.

It really doesn't seem worth it, as cool looking as it is.

It's extremely slow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ireladd posted:

No. Humanity stores itself as an item. Only the humanity that you've consumed and thus applied to your number in the upper left corner can be lost if you die. But if you recover your souls you recover those as well and your number count will go back up.
Apparently you also get increased item drop rates if you stack humanity into yourself while alive by using it, instead of carrying the items.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Chachi posted:

The Black Knights have a chance to drop several things: A low chance to drop their weapon, a medium chance to drop their shield, and a pretty high chance to drop a Titanite Chunk. I'm not sure if they can drop multiple things, I think they can. I recommend getting your Humanity up and equipping one of those item find rings before fighting them, because the weapons are awesome.

One thing I'm going to post is about spell scaling. Intelligence DOES affect both Sorceries and Pyromancies. However, Sorceries get a double dip because Intelligence also affects the Magic Adjust stat on Wands (Faith does this for Talismans), which makes them provide more magic damage. The Pyromancy Flame's Magic Adjust is tied to it's UPGRADE LEVEL not your Int. Wands and Talismans CANNOT be upgraded, but the Pyromancy Flame CAN, and this is what affects its Magic Adjust (it's starting Magic Adjust is really high as well). So while Intelligence DOES affect Pyromancies, it does not have nearly as large an effect for Pyromancers as it has for Sorcerors.

To add to that, Pyromancies generally have much fewer charges than Sorceries. So as a Pyromancer you are encouraged to get some Str/Dex and go beat people up, since it doesn't affect your spell damage that much to sacrifice Int. It is also interesting that the Pyromancy Flame has REALLY HIGH attack, so you can actually FIREPUNCH people really hard with it! This is awesome. Certain Wands also get really high Attack so a Wand/Shield Battle-Sorceror is a definite build.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

AttackBacon posted:

The Black Knights have a chance to drop several things: A low chance to drop their weapon, a medium chance to drop their shield, and a pretty high chance to drop a Titanite Chunk. I'm not sure if they can drop multiple things, I think they can. I recommend getting your Humanity up and equipping one of those item find rings before fighting them, because the weapons are awesome.

One thing I'm going to post is about spell scaling. Intelligence DOES affect both Sorceries and Pyromancies. However, Sorceries get a double dip because Intelligence also affects the Magic Adjust stat on Wands (Faith does this for Talismans), which makes them provide more magic damage. The Pyromancy Flame's Magic Adjust is tied to it's UPGRADE LEVEL not your Int. Wands and Talismans CANNOT be upgraded, but the Pyromancy Flame CAN, and this is what affects its Magic Adjust (it's starting Magic Adjust is really high as well). So while Intelligence DOES affect Pyromancies, it does not have nearly as large an effect for Pyromancers as it has for Sorcerors. To add to that, Pyromancies generally have much fewer charges than Sorceries.

So as a Pyromancer you are encouraged to get some Str/Dex and go beat people up, since it doesn't affect your spell damage that much to sacrifice Int. It is also interesting that the Pyromancy Flame has REALLY HIGH attack, so you can actually FIREPUNCH people really hard with it! This is awesome. Certain Wands also get really high Attack so a Wand/Shield Battle-Sorceror is a definite build.

They can indeed drop multiple things. The knight I killed dropped a Shard and his sword.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

quote:

:words:

I'm talking about the Taurus Demon, not the black knight.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any way to replenish your health and mana pools mid-field, away from campfires, not using estus flasks or whatever they're called? Are there any mechanisms in the game that allow some form of auto-regen of your resource pools like the Fragrant Ring or Regenerator's Ring in Demon's Souls?

There is the tiny beings ring that you can get, and take as a gift in the beginning that regenerates health. I can't comprehend there not being a mana regen ring as well. But I started a thief, so I'm not the one to ask.

E: Whoop apparently there is no mana in this game and you get spell points not unlike the old memorize spell system of D&D.

E2:
Well gently caress.. Super glad I took the plot pendant instead then.
vvvv

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 5, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

KGBAgent185 posted:

There is the tiny beings ring that you can get, and take as a gift in the beginning that regenerates health. I can't comprehend there not being a mana regen ring as well. But I started a thief, so I'm not the one to ask.

Tiny Being ring is a translation error.

It doesn't regen your health, it gives you a small health boost.

Edit: The error for the ring should go in the OP, it's a pretty significant gently caress up for people looking for a regen ring.

VVV:stare:VVV

Draven fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 5, 2011

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I am also going to post the best thing. This is a big 'ol spoiler to do with the Covenant's (a specific one) so do not read if you want to have a real WHAT THE gently caress moment in MP.

The Darkwraith Covenant gets a fist weapon called the Dark Hand (yes there are fist weapons) that has a unique strong attack and a unique parry(left hand only). The strong attack is strait up Soul Suck. You grab a motherfucker and suck Humanity out of them, only works on players. The parry creates a God drat Energy Shield that lets you block. Yup. The Dark Hand has 200 Attack (same as baseline Drake Sword), no Parameter bonus, the energy shield has 80% resist to ALL types of damage and 30 Stability (that's low).

Pretty much the best thing.

EDIT:

Chachi posted:

I'm talking about the Taurus Demon, not the black knight.

Sorry, my mistake. That guy has a medium chance to drop a Demon's Greataxe, which takes 46 Strength to wield. Don't worry, there's two more ways to get the axe, and 46 Str is balls high so you wouldn't be able to use it for a while anyways.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 5, 2011

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It seems like Rats are a good source of humanity (hardened). In the Depths I got two of them in a row from two different rats.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Krinkle posted:

taurus demon? I got jack loving poo poo from him. no souls no nothing. one humanity that I lost to a dragon

He knocked me off the edge, and as I was falling and dying, he decided to jump after me. "YOU DEFEATED" and "YOU DIED" showed up almost simultaneously.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I guess I should restart. I'm stuck in Blight Town, all my equipment is broken, and I have no repair kit. No way up, no way down.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ireladd posted:

Sometimes you get humanity added straight to your total from a kill, rather than as an item. The smoke that rises from the dieing enemy looks black instead of white. There's no way to hang on to humanity you got that way other then not dieing.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Yeah, I bought the repair kit off the vendor as soon as I possibly could. It just seemed like a really bad idea to let myself get into a situation where my weapon broke and there aren't any blacksmiths in sight.

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes you get humanity added straight to your total from a kill, rather than as an item. The smoke that rises from the dieing enemy looks black instead of white. There's no way to hang on to humanity you got that way other then not dieing.

I think the sewer vendor might sell infinite rings of sacrifice that completely negate the penalty of dying, then disappear. You could always stock up on those.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

Sorry, my mistake. That guy has a medium chance to drop a Demon's Greataxe, which takes 46 Strength to wield. Don't worry, there's two more ways to get the axe, and 46 Str is balls high so you wouldn't be able to use it for a while anyways.

Good to know I didn't suffer some sort of glitch, then. Thanks for the info.

Tonight I cross the bridge.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
2 favorite deaths so far:

Taurus Demon, he's down to 2 hits, he gets a sweeping hit on me takes me down to one hit on me left probably, but then I'll never know because the hit FLINGS ME OFF THE RAMPART. :v:

Second death: I get my body back, immediately kindle the Undead Burg Bonfire, then proceed to walk directly off the left side of the bridge. I realized then that I was using my old Sixaxis controller and not my newer dual shock. For those who do not know, the original Sixaxis controllers developed this odd behavior where they would disconnect and reconnect, which causes the game to keep the same input while it's going through this process. So you end up running in a direction while you're not giving any inputs. AMAZING for playing Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darth Windu posted:

I guess I should restart. I'm stuck in Blight Town, all my equipment is broken, and I have no repair kit. No way up, no way down.
Time to become depraved like some of us weirdos and run around naked :D

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

How did all your stuff all get broken?

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
Is it just me on the 360 or is the lock-on ai worse than Demons souls? I have trouble locking on and switching enemies sometimes (thank you game for locking me onto a dude 20 yards away and not the big motherfucker with a sword right in front of me. I totally would rather dodge arrows than a giant cleaver of doom). I also swear that your hitbox is larger than in demons souls, especially in the back when using a shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
What's the button on the 360 to switch targets? Right now I have to mash right stick and hope it locks me on to the right guy, and the manual doesn't mention target switching at all.

• Locked thread