Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nakar posted:

Unless they get some weird mission or something, it's not unimaginable that they'd stay allies. There's a religion difference, sure, but that alone won't cause a broken friendship in EU3. The only thing I've seen definitely cause the AI to go full-on "gently caress our mutual history" mode is getting a mission or having a core that pits them against you.

Or constant betrayal, but as far as the LP's shown Muscovy and Azerbaijan have been pretty stand-up about beating the crap out of the Golden Horde, so their trust for each other should remain high.

Also I don't think the Russian AI is quite as focused on the Caucasus as it is in Victoria. Although that could prove to be a problem later.

Biggest concerns are that they get a mission on us or a random border dispute event, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Yay, a Flemish Netherlands! You should change the provincename Holland to 'Olland.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wiz posted:

Biggest concerns are that they get a mission on us or a random border dispute event, yeah.
On the other hand, fighting them might be fun. Lure them into the Caucasus and let them waste away. Then don't counterattack because that never works against Russia.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So the Golden Horde is now in three completely isolated pieces within Russia. Why do they even still exist as a single entity anymore? Shouldn't they be three baby Khanates now? And why the hell didn't Russia finish them off?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Necroskowitz posted:

So the Golden Horde is now in three completely isolated pieces within Russia. Why do they even still exist as a single entity? Shouldn't they be three baby Khanates now? And why the hell didn't Russia finish them off?

EU3 AI.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Necroskowitz posted:

So the Golden Horde is now in three completely isolated pieces within Russia. Why do they even still exist as a single entity? Shouldn't they be three baby Khanates now? And why the hell didn't Russia finish them off?

1. EU3 mechanics v:shobon:v

2. The Golden Horde were too big to annex. You can only annex a country through war if it's 3 provinces or smaller. Muscovy will probably devour it with next war.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
We should have taken those GH provinces we occupied *mumble grumble*

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The Horde Mechanics might have worked if the Khanates were more likely to splinter like they historically did at succession crises.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

The Saurus posted:

We should have taken those GH provinces we occupied *mumble grumble*

And got what? A bunch of wrong culture low tax provinces? our future is to the west... in Armenia

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

theblastizard posted:

The Horde Mechanics might have worked if the Khanates were more likely to splinter like they historically did at succession crises.

In Fun2eu a succession crisis will create some nationalist rebels, and if the horde is over 15 provinces, they will lose any provinces that have been occupied by enemies, as long as they don't border the horde capital.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Brutus Salad posted:

And got what? A bunch of wrong culture low tax provinces? our future is to the west... in Armenia

Tartar is in our culture group, at least.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Riso posted:

In Fun2eu a succession crisis will create some nationalist rebels, and if the horde is over 15 provinces, they will lose any provinces that have been occupied by enemies, as long as they don't border the horde capital.

Yeah, but this just helps mega-Poland/Lithuania/Austria.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
And Mega-Ming.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That too, but they always eventually collapse and the reborn Oirat Horde and Kazakhs get quickly mugged by the mighty Yurohpeans...

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Patter Song posted:

Tartar is in our culture group, at least.

Oh yeah that's right, I keep thinking we're in the Semitic Group for some reason.

We really should be in the Semitic Group.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Brutus Salad posted:

Oh yeah that's right, I keep thinking we're in the Semitic Group for some reason.

We really should be in the Semitic Group.

No, Azeri should be in the Persian group.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Patter Song posted:

They have been colonizing: the West Coast of Africa. Presumably they'll jump further down and hit Cameroon in a while.

They've only colonized like, three provinces and haven't done anything for about a century. Presumably they are too poor to colonize and seem to be doing really badly economically as it seems we've recently out teched them, but I really hope that isn't the case.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Riso posted:

No, Azeri should be in the Persian group.

Or Turkic.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Proposition Joe posted:

They've only colonized like, three provinces and haven't done anything for about a century. Presumably they are too poor to colonize and seem to be doing really badly economically as it seems we've recently out teched them, but I really hope that isn't the case.

30 years /= a century.

And when you're as poor as they are, grabbing a lot of growing colonies is a surefire route to bankruptcy. Letting them grow into cities patiently and grabbing new ones one by one is a far smarter tactic.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Patter Song posted:

30 years /= a century.

And when you're as poor as they are, grabbing a lot of growing colonies is a surefire route to bankruptcy. Letting them grow into cities patiently and grabbing new ones one by one is a far smarter tactic.

At least they'll have a lot of wrong culture colonies thanks to the reformation hitting them so badly.

Edit: Was thinking about Portugal for some reason.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 5, 2011

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
On the other hand, thanks to the Golden Horde's new borders Muskowy looks like it's upset by Qurighar's leering.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
England colonized most of the East Coast in ten years? drat.

And Korea is pushing Manchu back out of the peninsula! :neckbeard:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wiz will the mod only work with your world or will it work with the regular EUIII world?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Necroskowitz posted:

On the other hand, thanks to the Golden Horde's new borders Muskowy looks like it's upset by Qurighar's leering.

Thanks, now i can't unsee it. :psyduck:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Can we singlehandedly take on Persia?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Every update just makes me more anxious to play this mod.

Is there anything of value remaining with the GH or will you just let Muscowny swallow them up for good?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Can we vote to be the Persian Empire or the Ottoman Empire? :v:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Talas posted:

Can we vote to be the Persian Empire or the Ottoman Empire? :v:

Bah. We should be the Caucasus Empire.

Our flag would be a pillar atop a black field. A pillar that is also on fire.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Or Turkic.

It's in the Turkic group, actually. Wiz posted a map way back. The Azerbaijanis are actually one of the groups that show up the problems with the way Paradox renders culture groups (linguistically, for the most part) because their language is Turkic but they tend to have as much or more in common with Persianate culture than with their Turkish cousins. The majority of Azerbaijanis in the world today live in Iran, and they get along pretty well. I think in the original version of EU3 the Ottoman's main culture ("Turkish") was in the Turkic group, which is linguistically correct but culturally a bit ridiculous, so in more recent versions they've been lumped into the "Turko-Semitic" culture group which also includes the different branches of Arabs. Still, it's an imperfect solution, because cultural identity was just really mushy in the early modern period, and it wasn't something that could be readily used to divide up populations until probably the late 18th to early 19th century.

EU3 at least does a much better job than EU2, thanks to events giving extra accepted cultures or representing culture swap in provinces.

EDIT:

Snipee posted:

Can we singlehandedly take on Persia?

It would be safer to find an ally, judging from the state of the world 1500 chapter. They have a very high income and a sizable army, but I would guess by now that we edge them out in tech and with Grand Army and the conquests since that update, we can probably match them in the field (our overall manpower is probably lower).

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 5, 2011

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Rejected Fate posted:

Bah. We should be the Caucasus Empire.

Our flag would be a pillar atop a black field. A pillar that is also on fire.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

EvanSchenck posted:

It's in the Turkic group, actually. Wiz posted a map way back. The Azerbaijanis are actually one of the groups that show up the problems with the way Paradox renders culture groups (linguistically, for the most part) because their language is Turkic but they tend to have as much or more in common with Persianate culture than with their Turkish cousins. The majority of Azerbaijanis in the world today live in Iran, and they get along pretty well. I think in the original version of EU3 the Ottoman's main culture ("Turkish") was in the Turkic group, which is linguistically correct but culturally a bit ridiculous, so in more recent versions they've been lumped into the "Turko-Semitic" culture group which also includes the different branches of Arabs. Still, it's an imperfect solution, because cultural identity was just really mushy in the early modern period, and it wasn't something that could be readily used to divide up populations until probably the late 18th to early 19th century.

EU3 at least does a much better job than EU2, thanks to events giving extra accepted cultures or representing culture swap in provinces.

Turko-Semetic was put in there so that if the Ottomans follow their missions and conquer the Malmuks they aren't bogged down with a bunch of 1 base tax wrong culture group poo poo provinces. Instead they are bogged down with 1 base tax right culture group wrong culture poo poo provinces.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Affi posted:

Wiz will the mod only work with your world or will it work with the regular EUIII world?

It would need porting to work in vanilla. I might port it to vanilla, but it wouldn't work to have both in the same mod due to the structural changes to revolters, etc.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

Turko-Semetic was put in there so that if the Ottomans follow their missions and conquer the Malmuks they aren't bogged down with a bunch of 1 base tax wrong culture group poo poo provinces. Instead they are bogged down with 1 base tax right culture group wrong culture poo poo provinces.

There isn't a whole lot of 1 base tax provinces in the Mamluks, except for in the south end of Egypt. Most Syrian provinces are quite good, especially compared to Anatolia which is full of base tax 3 provinces.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

There isn't a whole lot of 1 base tax provinces in the Mamluks, except for in the south end of Egypt. Most Syrian provinces are quite good, especially compared to Anatolia which is full of base tax 3 provinces.

I was referring to the provinces in modern Jordan and the Sinai.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Patter Song posted:

I was referring to the provinces in modern Jordan and the Sinai.

Yeah, alright, those are pretty crap, but I don't think it would really drag the Ottomans down. Once you're beyond a certain size additional provinces don't matter much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If I'm playing in that part of the world I usually just conquer everything up to Cairo and sell all the tax 1 provinces in Egypt to a vassal. Then you're only stuck with a few really poo poo provinces and it's well worth it for holy cities / Cairo / Alexandria / Syria.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Is the Golden Horde and the provinces just recently taken from them still pagan?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Viola the Mad posted:

Is the Golden Horde and the provinces just recently taken from them still pagan?

Yes.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Cowcatcher posted:

This is the best flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rejected Fate posted:

This is the best flag.

I dunno, the switch from three dimensional perspective to two dimensional at the top makes me :psyduck: a bit. But that is being nitpicky, it looks pretty awesome overall.

• Locked thread