Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Omnicarus posted:

I just realized that the one thing I've never seen in a Fallout game is that you never discover an intact, inhabited, and unopened vault that you didn't originally come from. It would be pretty cool if at some point in a game you come across a vault, open it up, and end up having to help the vault dweller reintegrate into the rest of world.

Isn't the problem, though, that of the however-many vaults there are, only a small small fraction of them were "control" vaults and all the rest were designed to open early, break down, or prey on their inhabitants? And weren't the control vaults programmed to open after like 200 years or something, a threshold that already came and went? Which, if memory serves, is how we got the NCR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Astfgl posted:

Isn't the problem, though, that of the however-many vaults there are, only a small small fraction of them were "control" vaults and all the rest were designed to open early, break down, or prey on their inhabitants? And weren't the control vaults programmed to open after like 200 years or something, a threshold that already came and went? Which, if memory serves, is how we got the NCR?

Not all control Vaults had to be opened. Vault 3 was fine until a few years before the events of New Vegas, when an unexpected breakdown happened and they started to get flooded so they went to get help and the first people they run into are Motor-Head and the fiends.

Also I don't think Vault City had much to do with NCR but I honestly can't remember right now.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 5, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Astfgl posted:

Fortunate for the designers that it's a fictional gameworld, not reality, and they can just pick an unused vault number (or make up another secret "special" vault like uh pretty sure every game but FO/FO2 had) and give it whatever the hell properties they like

I mean poo poo how many different versions of FEV are floating around out there now, and that's just a random mcguffin not even something that was specifically set up for expansion later on.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Astfgl posted:

So you make a vault where the test was how long you could keep people in a state of war and obedient through fear. The overseer and staff convinces the inhabitants that the outside world is a radioactive hellhole filled only with rapist cannibals that swarmed and devoured the other vaults, so vault [insert] has been entirely militarized since shortly after it was closed. When the player cracks the front door he's breaching their walls. Convinced they're going to be devoured by ravenous ghouls, the inhabitants start a blind, ruthless crusade to purify the lands surrounding the vault and resettle them solely with vault dwellers.

Edit: I think I just described the Boomers, more or less.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

So you make a vault where the test was how long you could keep people in a state of war and obedient through fear. The overseer and staff convinces the inhabitants that the outside world is a radioactive hellhole filled only with rapist cannibals that swarmed and devoured the other vaults, so vault [insert] has been entirely militarized since shortly after it was closed. When the player cracks the front door he's breaching their walls. Convinced they're going to be devoured by ravenous ghouls, the inhabitants start a blind, ruthless crusade to purify the lands surrounding the vault and resettle them solely with vault dwellers.

Edit: I think I just described the Boomers, more or less.

Sure the PC could tell them they should just stay put and not start a blind crusade to purge everything in sight, but if the PC lets them then they give the PC a really kick rear end gun.

These are the Hard Decisions of the Fallout Universe.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
You forgot the option to just kill everybody and later while dragging your packful of looted ammo and ashtrays on the shortest route from the carnage to the nearest merchant kinda idly wonder what the plot hook there was going to be

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I finally started Old World Blues, and sat through I think roughly 90 minutes of dialogue before leaving the first room.... and I loved every goddamn second of it :allears:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Jerusalem posted:

So I finally started Old World Blues, and sat through I think roughly 90 minutes of dialogue before leaving the first room.... and I loved every goddamn second of it :allears:

Any DLC that lets you say "This crater looks like it's been tag-teamed by giant fuckbots" in dialogue is worth its weight in gold.

On a wholly unrelated note, I wonder how well the "Man, I coulda sworn..." colloquialism is understood outside the US. Here it's used entirely as sheepish apologeia, like "Man, I coulda sworn I saw the sign that said 'No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service'" or "Man, I coulda sworn you said you were into that. Guess the ballgag was a bad idea."

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

OWB was one of the few times I didn't skip the dialogue after I finished reading it. The VA is just so good.

And the presence of James Urbaniak filled the bitter hole in my heart where I'm still waiting for the next season of Venture.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shadley Puffin posted:

Any DLC that lets you say "This crater looks like it's been tag-teamed by giant fuckbots" in dialogue is worth its weight in gold.

*breathe heavily, run hand over your face*
Dala: :stare:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jerusalem posted:

*breathe heavily, run hand over your face*
Dala: :stare:
They definitely went a little risqué with that one. Don't forget the whole sonic emitter sequence.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Let's just say my sonjaculate was spread far and wide before that DLC was over :smugbird:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

They definitely went a little risqué with that one. Don't forget the whole sonic emitter sequence.

I love that if you figure out Doctor 8's speech patterns, he gets all embarassed about it and you can tell him there's nothing wrong with it, just.... keep it private.

Dala's "wooWOOOO"ing as she sterilizes it cracked me up as well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
And hand penises. And the garden machine. And the ending sequence for the stealth facility...man, what wasn't a sex joke in OWB?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The stealth suit didn't make a crack about you being inside her, so there's that.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

And hand penises. And the garden machine. And the ending sequence for the stealth facility...man, what wasn't a sex joke in OWB?

I command you to open up and receive my seed!

I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

reagan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 5, 2011

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Strudel Man posted:

Don't forget the sexy light switches!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Jerusalem posted:

I love that if you figure out Doctor 8's speech patterns, he gets all embarassed about it and you can tell him there's nothing wrong with it, just.... keep it private.

Dala's "wooWOOOO"ing as she sterilizes it cracked me up as well.

My favorite part of Doctor 8's speech was when you reply with something about using a can of Cram with duct tape around the top. He then hands you 2 cans of Cram, 2 duct tape and 1 ¡La Fantoma! :fap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

graynull posted:

My favorite part of Doctor 8's speech was when you reply with something about using a can of Cram with duct tape around the top. He then hands you 2 cans of Cram, 2 duct tape and 1 ¡La Fantoma! :fap:

Hahaha, I didn't choose that option because it was so gross, but that is hilarious.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Omnicarus posted:

I just realized that the one thing I've never seen in a Fallout game is that you never discover an intact, inhabited, and unopened vault that you didn't originally come from. It would be pretty cool if at some point in a game you come across a vault, open it up, and end up having to help the vault dweller reintegrate into the rest of world.

I'd so get my hands on some Remnants powerarmor and re-enact the Fallout 2 intro sequence :shepface:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Burning Mustache posted:

I'd so get my hands on some Remnants powerarmor and re-enact the Fallout 2 intro sequence :shepface:

You'll need this from the nexus:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is that supposed to be advanced power armor? Because it looks hideous and Remnants power armor is already in the game.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 6, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

Is that supposed to be advanced power armor? Because it looks hideous and Remnants power armor is already in the game.

Shrug. Looks more like the old power armor to me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Compare and contrast

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Kharmakazy posted:

You'll need this from the nexus:

That's Midwestern Brotherhood Power Armor. I don't think the Enclave would have a BROTHERHOOD INSIGNIA on their armor!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Doug Lombardi posted:

That's Midwestern Brotherhood Power Armor. I don't think the Enclave would have a BROTHERHOOD INSIGNIA on their armor!

I see now I've made a mistake.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My bad. I was working from memory. Haven't actually seen any remnants power armor in game yet. Hell... I have over 100 hours in and I've yet to find that drat alien crash.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hahahaha holy poo poo, I just found something I never knew was in the game!

I did Vault 34 after getting the quest to find out why the water was irradiated, and decided to turn control over to the vault dwellers, thus dooming the NCR Sharecroppers.

La la la, spend time killing things, looting and doing a couple quests...

And at lunchtime today, I wandered into Boulder City to find a group of NCR Sharecroppers, bitching about how they're going home since the radiation is spreading on the land and it's hopeless to try and farm in the Mojave. I just thought it was another weird-spawn, until I talked to one of 'em.

I wonder if that means the Vegas farm will be abandoned and not spawn food any more? I didn't loot that anywhere near as much as I should have.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I see now I've made a mistake.

If you can't instantly recognize different types of Fallout power armor you need to re-evaluate your life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ygolonac posted:

I did Vault 34 after getting the quest to find out why the water was irradiated, and decided to turn control over to the vault dwellers, thus dooming the NCR Sharecroppers.

And at lunchtime today, I wandered into Boulder City to find a group of NCR Sharecroppers, bitching about how they're going home since the radiation is spreading on the land and it's hopeless to try and farm in the Mojave. I just thought it was another weird-spawn, until I talked to one of 'em.

I wonder if that means the Vegas farm will be abandoned and not spawn food any more? I didn't loot that anywhere near as much as I should have.

Have you been over to the Aerotech Office Suites? If not, I suggest you pop over there and take a look at Suite 300.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ygolonac posted:

I'm pretty sure it gets its own ending slide as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The cries of the riot at the correctional facility slowly spread. Some was word of mouth. Some was the roaming Powder Gangers hitting caravans. How the cries spread didn't matter much.

What mattered is that he heard.

What mattered is that he replied.

They saw him coming. It didn't matter.

They tried putting up a fight. It didn't matter.

He was here to reply to the cries in kind. He was here to make them pay and none would be spared.

None would be spared.

None.

They tried to kill him. To burn him.

They were the ones that burned.

Someone would one day venture inside and find his reply. And that reply would spread faster and further than any cry ever would.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

You left out the punchline picture where your guy has clown hair or something to show that it really was a joke and not overwrought fan fiction all along.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The punch line is that heading back to Primm I forgot about the land mines on the powder gang camp and died to them.

loving land mines

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

BEEP...BEEP...BEEP OH gently caress

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AlmightyBob posted:

*Randomly clicks on the ground rapidly while crouching*

Also, spoiler alert. Road cones = deathtraps.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

graynull posted:

If you are a female Courier you tell 8 about how when Microfusion cells get set to a certain frequency it will vibrate for like an hour.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Satchel charges in LR are the worst. Those fuckers start beeping a mile away.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Astfgl posted:

Could your rep with the NCR or the BoS be in the shitter? Boone and Veronica are both faction-aligned, if memory serves, so is it possible you made them hostile to you and ED-E is actually defending himself?

I just checked and no, I'm still on good terms with their factions. They don't appear as hostile towards me, and I can go talk to whoever survived just fine. ED-E also apparently attacks Arcade randomly as well.

But I worked around it by using the console command for disabling AI combat routine (tcaI) beforehand, talking ED-E back to following me, and turning it back on. No violence so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Silly question, but in Old World Blues at the start, the Think Tank tells me I have to hurry because there isn't much time. While I've been looking around Big MT, they've spoken up a couple of times to remind me to get a move on. I assume this is for atmosphere purposes only and that there is NOT an invisible timer on getting an optimal result, right?

Edit: Spoiler tagged just in case.