Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, I found my way from Blighttown mainly because I got an Estus upgrade and found the firekeeper had been killed and got the Black Eye Orb. Before I use it, what should I expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NESguerilla posted:

I posted this last night but Didn't get a response. Help?

Hit R2

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Finally beat (beginning of game) Taurus Demon and walked on to see a bridge, with some dudes, and a big scorch mark with a message in it right in front of me. Walked up to read it, was greeted with imminent dragon. Directly followed by imminent dragon.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Mr. Crow posted:

So... what the gently caress do I do now that I've run out of Transient Curses and I keep dieing at the spot where there are like 10 ghosts near the "chapel" that come out of nowhere and you are just on these little bridges with no room to move around?

You could go get a normal curse from the lizards in the sewers. That works.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Aw man, how do I Relight the Firelink Shrine?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

So i'm pretty early in game but i was wondering about what i should be doing. I'm at the undead burg.

i just farmed some souls for the repair kit, should i farm up some more for a heater shield and maybe some other stuff? I'm play as the euh, wanderer? The guy with the scimitar. Also how do i progress, just keep going deeper into the whole thing? Should i buy the key to some house the merchant has?.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

canada jezus posted:

So i'm pretty early in game but i was wondering about what i should be doing. I'm at the undead burg.

i just farmed some souls for the repair kit, should i farm up some more for a heater shield and maybe some other stuff? I'm play as the euh, wanderer? The guy with the scimitar. Also how do i progress, just keep going deeper into the whole thing? Should i buy the key to some house the merchant has?.

yes, it will help immensely

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Crow posted:

So... what the gently caress do I do now that I've run out of Transient Curses and I keep dieing at the spot where there are like 10 ghosts near the "chapel" that come out of nowhere and you are just on these little bridges with no room to move around?

If you are down there clowning around, it really helps just to have a permanent curse on you so get your rear end down to the depths and find you a frog buddy. Surprisingly firebombs work pretty well on them too so stock up while you're running through the undead burg to get to the depths. Once you get past that chapel and through the next white fog door, there is a shortcut ladder you can kick down so you don't have to run through that lovely room anymore (so long as you're coming from the fire shrine.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Welp just lost a buncha humanity and souls and frankly I'm crushed so doo hoo hoo the hard game got the best of me. DOINK

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jimbot posted:

Alright, I found my way from Blighttown mainly because I got an Estus upgrade and found the firekeeper had been killed and got the Black Eye Orb. Before I use it, what should I expect?

Darth Windu posted:

Aw man, how do I Relight the Firelink Shrine?

Just so you know, you can't do this until a good while further in the game. The exact location is in Anor Londo. You can expect it to be a fairly hard fight, but the rewards are worth it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are the rooftop gargoyles supposed to be the second boss in the natural progression? I keep seeing people talking about the gargoyles & ringing the first bell after mentioning the Taurus Demon, but I ended up finding my way to Moonlight Butterfy and Capra Demon instead. Killing both bosses results in dead ends! Where da gargoyles at?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

canada jezus posted:

Yes to all of those questions.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

enojy posted:

Are the rooftop gargoyles supposed to be the second boss in the natural progression? I keep seeing people talking about the gargoyles & ringing the first bell after mentioning the Taurus Demon, but I ended up finding my way to Moonlight Butterfy and Capra Demon instead. Where da gargoyles at?

Go back to the blacksmith you passed to get to the forest and head back into the Parish, and find the staircase near the elevators.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

evilalien posted:

Are embers global, or do they only upgrade the blacksmith you give them to?
Just the one you give them to. Does anyone know for a fact that every blacksmith can take every ember though?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

enojy posted:

Are the rooftop gargoyles supposed to be the second boss in the natural progression? I keep seeing people talking about the gargoyles & ringing the first bell after mentioning the Taurus Demon, but I ended up finding my way to Moonlight Butterfy and Capra Demon instead. Killing both bosses results in dead ends! Where da gargoyles at?

Take the stairs near the elevator to firelink.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Oh wow thanks for the quick answers. I'm super unsure of how to build stats though, i put two level ups in endurance, i want to put more in str for spears i guess but other than that idk.

Also can i permanently mess up weapons in some way? I know you can miss some, but can i upgrade them wrong?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

canada jezus posted:

Oh wow thanks for the quick answers. I'm super unsure of how to build stats though, i put two level ups in endurance, i want to put more in str for spears i guess but other than that idk.

Also can i permanently mess up weapons in some way? I know you can miss some, but can i upgrade them wrong?

Pump DEX for spears.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

canada jezus posted:

i think spears are affected by dex fyi

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

evilalien posted:

Just so you know, you can't do this until a good while further in the game. The exact location is in Anor Londo. You can expect it to be a fairly hard fight, but the rewards are worth it.

Alright. I wasn't sure if It was something I could do now or not. I have a good idea of who it is too. They always have to put some Yurt motherfucker who tries to ice skate up hill in these games.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, so, just one more question! If you defeat someone in PvP, do you take Humanity from the loser, or is it just more of a bonus? This is kind of a sticking point.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

gravyflood posted:

Okay, so, just one more question! If you defeat someone in PvP, do you take Humanity from the loser, or is it just more of a bonus? This is kind of a sticking point.

It's pretty much taking it from them since by killing them you are making them undead. It doesn't deduct from their reserve humanity though (the number in the upper left). They can recover that by grabbing their bloodstain.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

gravyflood posted:

Both. You steal it, but you get more than they have, I believe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At the rate it is going, it is going to take FOREVER for my normal weapons (i.e. the ones that scale with my stats) to overcome the damage of my lightning and fire weapons. My lightning spear +2 does almost twice as much damage as my halberd +8, at 18 or so strength and dex. Was it like this in Demon's Souls and I just forgot?

edit: I tried being a revenger once a while ago, but due to bad planning I went into it with only about an eighth of my hit points, and you can't use flasks. Needless to say, I lost.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 6, 2011

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

evilalien posted:

It's pretty much taking it from them since by killing them you are making them undead. It doesn't deduct from their reserve humanity though (the number in the upper left). They can recover that by grabbing their bloodstain.

Funkmaster General posted:

Both. You steal it, but you get more than they have, I believe.

Which is it? :psyduck:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I wish someone would invade my world. :( I tried invading but it failed. I want to be an evil phantom. Where are the covenant people? I've only seen the one at the Firelink Camp.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Oh poo poo. This game is for the Xbox360 now? I thought it was a PS3 exclusive like Demon Souls. AND it's out now? Well goodbye weekend.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

der juicen posted:

I wish someone would invade my world. :( I tried invading but it failed. I want to be an evil phantom. Where are the covenant people? I've only seen the one at the Firelink Camp.

Same. It is depressing trying to be evil.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm playing this and I have to ask myself, "Why don't you just settle down with a game that appreciates you and doesn't treat you like poo poo?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the giant's tomb, how successful have people been in luring skeletons to fall off cliffs without falling off themselves? It has happened a bunch of times by accident but I can't seem to make it happen on purpose.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

gravyflood posted:

Which is it? :psyduck:

I was invaded earlier today and I lost, but I am pretty sure I was able to recover my stored humanity from my bloodstain. Also on the streams I saw, the people invading only ever got 1 humanity on victory. I could easily be wrong though.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Wow, no wonder the game feels so sparsely populated. Despite selling much less, in Demon's Souls I saw way more white phantoms running around, was invaded more frequently, easier to find someone invade (I just used 4 of the invasion stone things and all of them failed, which still uses up the item btw), etc. That's because Demon's Souls was server based, so you were seeing everyone online basically. So whenever you set up a place to summon a blue phantom with your friend, you could find his sign easily.

Dark Souls is apparently not server based, it's some kind of ping based P2P. You aren't seeing everyone online, just some people that would have low latency if they joined your world. You can drop a sign in specific space and your friend still might not see it, and overall you just have less of a chance of interacting with other players. This is incredibly stupid, and it greatly diminishes what was (for me) the most interesting part of Demon's Souls.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Sorry if I just missed it, but why does it seem like nobody is talking about the helmet that the boar miniboss dropped? Is it super rare or do people just not give a poo poo about it? I started wearing it once I could equip it and stay under 50% equip-encumbrance, and it looks so hilarious. It was a legit upgrade too!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

evilalien posted:

I was invaded earlier today and I lost, but I am pretty sure I was able to recover my stored humanity from my bloodstain. Also on the streams I saw, the people invading only ever got 1 humanity on victory. I could easily be wrong though.

Do you have to have a certain item or be far enough to be invaded? I do see a lot of light blue ghosts running around killin and such.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Question before I get cracking on the game again, where's the Golden Yurt dude supposed to be? I've never found a door I can unlock with the Mystery Key anywhere.

I want to taunt him so I can murder him later on for an awesome reward, and put my fuckoff huge "Drake's Sword Eat your heart out!" arsenal to work.

I guess I'd like to ask if anyone knows where the Covenant recruiter for the "Invade Oathbreakers" covenant is too.

EDIT: I was invaded a while back in the Depths, he didn't put up much of a fight because I got the drop on him with my murderstick, but I can imagine how much he was cursing when I was through :unsmith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alectai posted:

Question before I get cracking on the game again, where's the Golden Yurt dude supposed to be? I've never found a door I can unlock with the Mystery Key anywhere.

I want to taunt him so I can murder him later on for an awesome reward, and put my fuckoff huge "Drake's Sword Eat your heart out!" arsenal to work.

I guess I'd like to ask if anyone knows where the Covenant recruiter for the "Invade Oathbreakers" covenant is too.

EDIT: I was invaded a while back in the Depths, he didn't put up much of a fight because I got the drop on him with my murderstick, but I can imagine how much he was cursing when I was through :unsmith:

He's in the undead church

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

The Moon Monster posted:

He's in the undead church

I Know, where, specifically though? Because I've yet to find an openable door there

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Wow, no wonder the game feels so sparsely populated. Despite selling much less, in Demon's Souls I saw way more white phantoms running around, was invaded more frequently, easier to find someone invade (I just used 4 of the invasion stone things and all of them failed, which still uses up the item btw), etc. That's because Demon's Souls was server based, so you were seeing everyone online basically. So whenever you set up a place to summon a blue phantom with your friend, you could find his sign easily.

Dark Souls is apparently not server based, it's some kind of ping based P2P. You aren't seeing everyone online, just some people that would have low latency if they joined your world. You can drop a sign in specific space and your friend still might not see it, and overall you just have less of a chance of interacting with other players. This is incredibly stupid, and it greatly diminishes what was (for me) the most interesting part of Demon's Souls.

I think a big problem is that there really aren't a lot of people in their human form. In demons souls you revived to a human every time you killed a boss, so as a phantom if you went to the next room after a boss fight it was an eventuality that someone who just killed the previous boss would pick you up. Or you know, you invade at that spot and murder whomever's world you invade. In dark souls there really is no "that spot" like you'd see a lot in 4-1 , 2-2, ect. I know I've spent a grand total in this game of like, 30 minutes as a human, and I really won't see any sort of multiplayer shenanigans unless I get hot and heavy with the covenants.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I feel like I'm so far in over my head with this game. Seriously. I'm at the taurus demon, and I know how to kill him, I even found an attack that takes off 25% of his health in one swipe, but the controls just won't let me win.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

It's just using the XBL/PSN matchmaking servers to populate your world. It's a tradeoff because a dedicated central server like in DS means that it can feed your world much more effectively rather than just connecting to as many people as possible until it finds sufficient multiplayer elements near you, but doing it this way means that you don't have to worry about the server being shut down. I feel like it's just hard to find people to play with right now because most people are running around dead. I certainly see no shortage of messages and ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Alectai posted:

I Know, where, specifically though? Because I've yet to find an openable door there

Near Mr. Soul Arrow.

• Locked thread