Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I have a question for you cocktail knowledge people, as I'm not (yet) one of you :(

Tomorrow I want to make these sweet and smoky spareribs with some slaw on the side for dinner with my dad. I'm looking for a preferably bourbon-based cocktail that goes well with the dish - ideally something with soda or other non-alcohol in it to prevent him keeling over drunk halfway through the meal.

The site recommends these, but I don't have the money to go out and buy both gin and Pimm's right now.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd have a Sazerac with that - I think it would complement perfectly. Of course it's rye based and powerful, but it sounds so good together. Actually I think I might do that this weekend.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Junior G-man posted:

I have a question for you cocktail knowledge people, as I'm not (yet) one of you :(

Tomorrow I want to make these sweet and smoky spareribs with some slaw on the side for dinner with my dad. I'm looking for a preferably bourbon-based cocktail that goes well with the dish - ideally something with soda or other non-alcohol in it to prevent him keeling over drunk halfway through the meal.

The site recommends these, but I don't have the money to go out and buy both gin and Pimm's right now.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

I may get killed for suggesting it, but Lynchburg Lemonade is an excellent summer / BBQ drink if you're looking for something that's not exactly high alcohol. Jack Daniels technically isn't bourbon but the drink seems like it will suit your needs and you can make it with your bourbon of choice (which I think makes it less sweet and therefore better) if you really want. It's also more lemon-lime soda then anything else, but it can creep up on you.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd have a Sazerac with that - I think it would complement perfectly. Of course it's rye based and powerful, but it sounds so good together. Actually I think I might do that this weekend.

Which makes this a great opportunity to post this excellent video from Chris McMillian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E

Jibo posted:

Lynchburg Lemonade
Oh, OK, I stand corrected. That's the teenage girlest drink.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Junior G-man posted:

I'm looking for a preferably bourbon-based cocktail that goes well with the dish - ideally something with soda or other non-alcohol in it to prevent him keeling over drunk halfway through the meal.

Highballs are easy and great with food, and seem to fit your requirements perfectly.

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lime juice (lemon is fine here too)
You can add simple syrup to taste, or leave it out.

Just put that in a highball glass filled with ice and top with soda.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Lower alcohol summer drink?
Aperol spritzer. Equal parts aperol, a dry italian white like soave or grigio & san pelegrino water, over ice, garnished with a citrus twist or an olive or two.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Klauser posted:

Highballs are easy and great with food, and seem to fit your requirements perfectly.

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lime juice (lemon is fine here too)
You can add simple syrup to taste, or leave it out.

Just put that in a highball glass filled with ice and top with soda.

Thanks a lot! it paired very, very well indeed..

It does need a touch of syrup for me though; otherwise the sour note takes over. (I had to make several test glasses, and was forced to drink them :unsmigghh: )

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So glad it worked out well.

I need some help peeps. I made this drink:

Hummingbird

3/4 oz. gin
3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
1/4 oz. sweet vermouth
Crushed ice
Tools: swizzle stick
Glass: Collins
Garnish: orange wheel

Combine all ingredients in a Collins glass and fill with crushed ice. Swizzle until a thin layer of frost forms on the outside of the glass. Garnish.

--

I was really excited for this, as all the ingredients are right up my alley. It also sounded really refreshing, which it was...kind of. The actual execution of the drink was a fail.

I would put the blame here on the method. It was really awkward to make. The flavor was pretty much there, although I feel it could have been mixed better because all the ice made it a pain in the rear end to stir.

I'm just wondering if I could have done this better. I used my canvas bag to crush the poo poo out of the ice, put everything in and stirred. The drink was super cold, and not gross, it was just a pain to make, and drink.

Is there something I could do to make this go smoother? Maybe I just hate drinks that are all crushed ice.

I'm going to make it again. This time I'll shake the ingredients, strain into a collins filled with regular ice cubes, and top with soda. I imagine this will achieve the same effect, but be a little more refined and pleasant.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Use crushed ice but don't build in the glass. Shake & strain into the collins glass with fresh crushed ice.
It's pretty much a negroni with elderflower?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Very Strange Things posted:

What do the pros do for a Julep?

What you did was pretty solid, but I'd make your syrup with brown sugar and actually let your mint leaves simmer in it while the sugar's cooking (don't boil them-- you don't want to release the chlorophyll in the mint, which will make your drink too bitter). Hefty splash of that syrup, few big glugs of Maker's Mark, lots and lots of ice in a cold cold glass and you've got something solid.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Triumphant posted:

What you did was pretty solid, but I'd make your syrup with brown sugar and actually let your mint leaves simmer in it while the sugar's cooking (don't boil them-- you don't want to release the chlorophyll in the mint, which will make your drink too bitter). Hefty splash of that syrup, few big glugs of Maker's Mark, lots and lots of ice in a cold cold glass and you've got something solid.

Followed yours and Very Strange Things advice, and made my very first Mint Julep with mint from my own garden. It's delicious, but a few of these and you can find me under the table.

We're having an indian summer weekend over here, so it's amazing to drink this while sitting in the last rays of sun.

Again, much obliged!

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 30, 2011

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Followed yours and Very Strange Things advice, and made my very first Mint Julep with mint from my own garden. It's delicious, but a few of these and you can find me under the table.

That's my favorite thing about the Julep-- that it hits like a sledgehammer wrapped in velvet.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

This thread just inspired me to restock my bar. Big thanks to 12 Bottle Bar for helping round out my collection.

(my host)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

biopanda posted:

This thread just inspired me to restock my bar. Big thanks to 12 Bottle Bar for helping round out my collection.

(my host)

This is a nice selection. However, I'd ditch the Old Overholt for a decent rye, that stuff is terrible.

And once you do that, why not try a Fancy Free?

1 1/2 oz rye whiskey
2 dashes maraschino liqueur
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash Angostura® bitters
1 healthy dash lemon juice
some powdered sugar

Run the lemon around the edge of a martini glass, coat with sugar. Put other ingredients in a shaker, stir, and strain into glass. Enjoy.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely give that a shot. As for the rye, I was hoping to find some rittenhouse, but they don't seem to sell that in Albuquerque. Any suggestions for an easier to find rye once this one needs to be replaced?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
If you can't find the Rittenhouse BIB, I personally find Wild Turkey Rye and Jim Beam Rye to both be tastier alternatives to the O.O., and both should be pretty wildly available.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You can't find Rittenhouse Bonded anywhere right now. I've checked my two local specialty liquor stores several times in the last couple months and they're always out. Supply hasn't caught up with the huge spike in demand around 2005/2006, since unless I'm mistaken their bonded rye spends 6 years in barrels. Everybody keeps saying "Oh we should get some in the next couple weeks" and that is never true.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I have a few loose bottles of booze around my apartment, but right now I am interested in the equipment that I should be purchasing. I assume I need a shaker, strainer and a muddler. What are some favorite brands and other equipment that someone just starting to make drinks at home should have?

I know I'll need to pick up some glasses, so a starting list of those would be really appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Can anyone recommend some drinks that would go well with Thanksgiving dinner?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Devoz posted:

Eggnog with a shitload of bourbon is a Thanksgiving tradition for me.

This is similar to ours:
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink11957.html

quote:

1 liter Maker's Mark® bourbon whiskey
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream
24 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
nutmeg

Separate eggs and beat yolks until creamy. Whip sugar into yolks. Beat whites until they stand in peaks, adding 1/2 cup additional sugar, if desired. Beat yolks and Maker's Mark together, add whites. Beat cream. Add cream and milk to mixture. Add nutmeg to taste and garnish each cup with nutmeg. Makes 2 1/2 gallons.

edit: That's really more for after dinner though. It's an awful lot of milk, too.
Something fruity and low in alcohol like a Sangria might be the way to go if you don't want to just serve wine.
A really nice draft cider would be great.

brand new edit!:
This post, and the olde-tymey Manhattan recipe from earlier in the thread have inspired me to try Manhattans, garnished with cranberry (probably dried) instead of cherry or orange. I'll test drive a Cranhattan(?) later this week,

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

biopanda posted:

Any suggestions for an easier to find rye once this one needs to be replaced?

I happen to really like Old Overholt. If you do not and are looking for something else, try Michters single barrel.

Devoz posted:

I don't really have one for with dinner. After dinner though, when everyone is stuffed:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica if you have it)
2 dashes orange bitters
Slice of lemon with a little meat on it
Stir/Strain

The things this drink does to settle your stomach are nothing short of magical.

Skavoovee posted:

What are some favorite brands and other equipment that someone just starting to make drinks at home should have?

I know I'll need to pick up some glasses, so a starting list of those would be really appreciated as well.

I use, and love this muddler. It has a nice heft, is big and beefy, and I also use it to crush ice. I use the OXO Hawthorne strainer. Pick up a small sieve for double-straining. I have no idea what brand my Boston shaker is I just know I prefer a cheater tin over a pint glass.

As far as glassware goes, I would rank them like this:

Coupe
Highball/Chimney
Rocks
Cocktail/Martini

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Devoz posted:

I made one that goes really well with pumpkin pie spices and sweet potatoes and the like. Still tweaking it.

[/b]The Glamorous Glennis[/b]

2 oz. rye whiskey
.25 oz. Drambuie
.25 oz. orange liqueur (I prefer Grand Marnier)
hefty splash (2-3 dashes) Peychaud's Bitters
shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Klauser posted:

As far as glassware goes, I would rank them like this:

Coupe
Highball/Chimney
Rocks
Cocktail/Martini

You should know what volumes you're looking for when you buy glasses. Coupe and cocktail glasses should be between 4 and 5 ounces, rocks glasses are usually 4.5, double rocks are often as much as 12. A highball or Collins glass is around 10 ounces, a fizz or sours glass will be between 6 and 8. A zombie/cooler glass will be 16 ounces.

My current glassware collection includes two cocktail glasses, two one coupe glass, two rocks glasses, two double rocks, two red wine glasses, four liqueur/dessert wine glasses, four sours glasses, and four zombie glasses. I find myself using the coupes the most, followed by the cocktail glasses, then the double rocks. I mostly use the zombie glasses for big single-serving punches, and the single rocks glasses for neat spirits. I only use cocktail glasses when I'm making something that simply cannot be served in any other style of glass (Manhattan/Martini/Martinez) or because I'm already using my coupes. I hate cocktail glasses.

Goddamn it's hard to find good coupe glasses. The Daiso store in San Francisco's Japantown had wonderful coupe glasses like 9 months ago and I bought two. They were just the right size, like 4.5 ounces, and had elegant lines. I went back a couple weeks ago and all they had were some lovely ugly glasses, which is all the more devastating since I broke one of the ones I had bought earlier. You can find really nice stuff by like Reidel or Spiegelau, but if I had $100 I'd spend it on liquor, rather than glassware. Also most glasses are over-sized for cocktail use.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So I don't really care for the show all that much but I stumbled across this drink list but I am tempted to try some of these. Do these by chance fall under any other names? or have you all had any of these?

Planning on doing The Wise apple, Speed Demon, and the turntable. I have about 300 in OT so I don't mind spending a little extra now

if you don't wanna click the link

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 6, 2011

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Those look pretty neat, but I feel they made a mistake with the "Bourgeoisie", specifically, the use of Goldschlager in an opaque drink.

That's just stupid. It defeats the purpose of the gold foil, which is to be seen.
And Rarity would never commit a fashion faux pas like that. :colbert:
Other than that, the taste combination itself sounds pretty decent.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 6, 2011

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Been working on this fall-themed sidecar variation, I think it's coming along quite well. Curious to see anyone else's thoughts.

2oz armagnac
1oz lemon juice
1oz Benedictine
barspoon pimento dram

Shake, strain, up, flamed orange peel garnish.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Kenning posted:

You should know what volumes you're looking for when you buy glasses.

Thanks for this, it's great advice.

Scythe posted:

Been working on this fall-themed sidecar variation

You had me till pimento dram. I'm assuming this is essential, but is there anything I can use to substitute?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

BevMo has been carrying St. Elizabeth pimento dram, so you can totally find it out there. OR you could infuse your own!

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

So I don't really care for the show all that much but I stumbled across this drink list but I am tempted to try some of these. Do these by chance fall under any other names? or have you all had any of these?

Planning on doing The Wise apple, Speed Demon, and the turntable. I have about 300 in OT so I don't mind spending a little extra now

if you don't wanna click the link

What show is this from? Sandra Lee? Most of those look incredibly gross.

[edit] NOS, Blue Curacao, vodka, gin and triple sec? Why would you do that?

Irving fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 7, 2011

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Klauser posted:

You had me till pimento dram. I'm assuming this is essential, but is there anything I can use to substitute?

It's fairly essential... you could try backing off on the lemon juice and adding a dash of Angostura and splashes of rum and syrup as a kind of fake, but I'm sure it won't be the same.

I made my own using the method by Paul Clarke that Kenning linked above, and it's great--make some and put a shot in your eggnog at Christmas time.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Irving posted:

What show is this from? Sandra Lee? Most of those look incredibly gross.

[edit] NOS, Blue Curacao, vodka, gin and triple sec? Why would you do that?

They are taken off the show my little pny, but I was just looking to buy ti and try it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

They are taken off the show my little pny, but I was just looking to buy ti and try it

Oh. Well, if you're a ten year old girl who's into cocktails, I guess it's fine. I'm sure the colors will be pretty!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
How can I improve my margarita?

I've tried various ratios of liquids, but I always seem to get something that tastes like a caipirinha (like rum and lime, simple flavor but tasty). I never get what I remember having at restaurants. They seem to make something that has a more full bodied and richer flavor profile. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Today I tried a couple variations:

1.5oz reposado tequila
1.5oz triple sec (a cheap one)
1/2 a lime

2oz reposado tequila
.5oz orange liqueur (Harlequin brand)
1/2 a lime

I've heard of people using agave juice. Maybe that could help.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I made a hilarious tasting cocktail spritzer, by screwing around with some leftover fortified wine and soda.
I give you:

Worcestershire soda

In a double rocks glass full of ice, add:

~ 2 Oz. Stone's Original Ginger Wine (13.5% ABV)
~ 2 Oz. Brio (Toronto-based Chinotto soda)
Stir lightly.

It tastes almost exactly like Lee & Perrins. :haw: :hurr:
Not salty enough though. Maybe rimmed on a glass...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 9, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

that Vai sound posted:

How can I improve my margarita?

I think you'll get lots of opinions on this. This is how I make it:

2oz tequila
1 1/2oz lime juice
1oz Cointreau
Splash simple syrup (Agave would be fine here)
pinch of salt

I think any drink with tequila in it tastes better with a pinch of salt, also I hate any drink with stuff on the rim, so I do this instead.

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

Devoz posted:

Late to the party here but one year I made some cranberry syrup and then used that in some French 75s. Felt pretty festive so that's become our go-to.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Klauser posted:

I think you'll get lots of opinions on this. This is how I make it:

2oz tequila
1 1/2oz lime juice
1oz Cointreau
Splash simple syrup (Agave would be fine here)
pinch of salt

I think any drink with tequila in it tastes better with a pinch of salt, also I hate any drink with stuff on the rim, so I do this instead.

On that note, Dale Degroff makes a good point: when you salt a margarita glass, make sure and salt only the outside of the glass for tasting, not the entire rim. Take a slice of lime, rub it on the outside of the rim only and turn the glass in a small pile of kosher salt.

I recently got into cocktails/mixology and I can suggest the Jack Rose and Pegu Club as prohibition-style cocktails that are sure to please.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Dale DeGroff, here's his Margarita recipe:

2 oz. Tequila
1 oz. Cointreau
0.75 oz. lime juice

And his "Cadillac" Margarita:

2.0oz. El Tesoro Tequila
1.0oz. Grand Marnier
0.75 oz. lime juice
1.0 oz. simple syrup

And I heard someone (it might have been DeGroff) suggest only salting half the rim. If you're making it for someone else, it gives them the option of salted or unsalted sips.

A frosty glass also picks up salt and sugar very well.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Wompa164 posted:

I recently got into cocktails/mixology and I can suggest the Jack Rose and Pegu Club as prohibition-style cocktails that are sure to please.
I've loved the Pegu Club ever since I tried it the first time. Here's how I like it (the Cointreau and lime measurements might be a tad off; I really should write these down):

2oz London dry gin
1/2oz Cointreau
1/2oz lime juice
dash Angostura bitters
dash orange bitters

Not as good as I remember it being at one restaurant, but I don't remember how they did it.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have just found out about black russians.

1 part kahlua
1 part vodka
1 part coke if you cant handle being a man.

Tasty as gently caress