Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Phoix posted:

sometimes the dragon bugs out and just flies away for some people.

It's not a bug. If you walk into the bonfire room directly under him he leaves for a while. Dying and running across the bridge from there seems to bring him back every 2nd time from what I could tell when respawning there repetitively trying to beat the shield/club knight.

I assume he does this because I hear you can kill him with one arrow from the tower behind him. I believe the only way to do it is to let him sit up there, and take a shortcut all the way around through the gate from the chapel to basically sneak behind him from the other direction so he doesn't leave.

Skunk Ape fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Ha! I just did this about 20 minutes ago. Got up there and ran all the way back across the bottom of the bridge going "poo poo poo poo poo poo" because I could hear that fucker clanking behind me the whole time.

This game. Everytime something lovely happens I just imagine the From developers being like, "U mad?"

I thought I'd be slick and jump down the ladder at the end. Nah uh, he jumped right down there and got me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I feel ashamed.

I beat the original Demon's Souls all the way through Allant. I used the CE's guide to help me along the way and still found the game challenging but fun.

This time around I've tried to spoil myself as little as possible, and I am getting destroyed just outside the Firelink shrine. Playing as a Pyromancer, I found the morningstar, where to get miracles and a first covenant offer (decided not to join), and was told to go up to the undead church or down to Blighttown.

Trouble is, the ghosts on the only walkway in to Blighttown OHKO me, and even two-handing the morningstar on the skeletons almost assures me of getting hit. I've been trying to save my fireball and estus, but inevitably, I make my way down to them and lose enough life to get murdered as soon as I step into the Catacombs. On top of that? No souls from anything.

And the skeletons reassemble in the Catacombs. :mad:

Is the answer to making it through the Catacombs literally just "skill up"? There's also a giant crow staring at me but I haven't tried loving with it yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright anyone have some advice? I've never played one of these games before and I'm doing pretty well, beat the Tarus demon first try and I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I'm still using my starting scimitar, I'm using some wooden shield I found and I have more then enough souls then I know what to do with at the moment, not exactly sure what to do as I feel like I should have a better weapon by now

I got the drake sword as a friend told me to shoot the dragons tail or whatever a lot but not really sure where to go next.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

There's a spot that usually has a message saying "snipe here" or something along those lines, and it gives you easy access to the tail.

Go back one more arch on the bridge, you should see the whole dragon's tail all the way up to where it joins with the body. Aim for as close the body as you can, while still hitting the tail. You should see the health bar. With a shortbow + normal arrows, it did 11 damage for me. Plink away!

This worked. He started healing himself for a while there but then stopped after the 5th or so time, and allowed me to plink away the rest of his life. Too bad the only reason I went to all this trouble was because I was sure he'd drop a dragon scale so I can keep upgrading my drake sword. Well, now I hope Gaping drops one, but then I'd need one other to get it to +3. Oh well, guess I'll just go try and kill Gape again, then on to the catacombs, or maybe blight.

The Smith by Undead Parish said something about people having trouble in the catacombs seeking out someone in the forest or something but I have yet to meet something that doesn't want to kill me there.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The game has been pretty sweet so far.

I made a female thief and just killed the Gaping Dragon.

Gear I'm using:
Drake sword
spider shield
Hollowed Thief armor set (because it looks cool and anything but leather is for pussies RIGHT!?)
fireball spell
short bow

I'd also like to point out that the gargoyle tail axe works awesome in corridors because it flexes.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 6, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Take this with a grain of salt because I am still pretty early on in the game, but I really don't know what I think about Dark Souls yet. It's beautiful, it plays like Demon's Souls and it's really awesome but I feel like it's grindy and I realized that I stopped having fun hours ago. That sense of progression that made me love Demon's hasn't come into full force for me yet. It just feels tedious and confusing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, I think I should upgrade my strength a bit before equipping something in the secondary weapon slots. Your speed does indeed take a hit even just going up to half your encumbrance limit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speedball posted:

Huh, I think I should upgrade my strength a bit before equipping something in the secondary weapon slots. Your speed does indeed take a hit even just going up to half your encumbrance limit.

That would be endurance that you want to upgrade.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
OK, I think there's something wrong with my copy of the game. For some reason, the game will sometimes bug out and decide that when I hit RB, it's just going to wait for a few seconds before actually making my character attack. And of course the attack always starts right when I should be holding up my shield. Has anyone else seen this happen? It's not my controller either, I tried using a different one and the same issue kept happening.

Also, where should I be going after ringing the first bell? I found the shortcut back to the shrine, but the only option from there is to go down to the graveyard and gently caress that place. Please tell me I should be going elsewhere.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I feel silly, but I'm stuck right near the beginning, at the Firelink Shrine.

I wanna go to the Undead Burg and the only routes I've found are a path to treasure chests near the Miracle Tutor and a stairway leading up to the big crow dude, as well as a path down to a graveyard full of skeletons who rape me. Am I supposed to morning-star my way through them? Because there's a really big fucker. Like, giant. And he hurt me. A lot. I've died five times already! So, which way do I go? I really don't wanna go down...down leads to Blightown and that place doesn't sound fun at all.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do not join the forest hunter covenant! It is a trap! You just get mauled over and over again by super beasts with giant axes and huge spells. You are not the hunter!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
gently caress blight town toxin is such a bullshit condition and I need to go back to duskroot to farm more blooming purple moss up. I've tried coming into blighttown from both directions, valley of drakes and from the depths. The former leading to me being toxined and killed before I could get terribly far in. The latter being an excruciatingly long trek through narrow pathways to get knocked off near the bottom by one of those mutant firefuckers into a poisoned swamp with toxic darts.

Edit: Also the framerate sucks there.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 6, 2011

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Is the answer to making it through the Catacombs literally just "skill up"? There's also a giant crow staring at me but I haven't tried loving with it yet.

The crow is friendly, I think (it's the same one that carried you off the tutorial island).

As for your problems progressing, you're overlooking one of your options, which is why everything is too hard (I did the same thing). You want to head to the Undead Burg. The staircase/grassy incline up to it is near the well by the Firelink bonfire, away from the ruins. You'll know it's the right direction because the undead soldiers you run into will be much easier to kill.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Does the knight with the large club in the bottom of the tower in the Undead Burg drop anything cool or guard anything interesting? I don't know if I want to keep trying to kill him.

Also, are there any decent soul farming places that you can do early in the game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Death by falling off bottomless cliffs is the worst. All those souls, lost forever!

Taurus Demon seemed to follow me off the edge of the broken bridge when I tumbled off, though; I could swear I saw his outline following me and vaporizing.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Holy poo poo. I popped some humanity when I reached the first bonfire on my way to kill the bull demon for the first time, and I saw a summon sign outside of it, but it disappeared before I could get to it. You can summon people for the first boss?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your souls will be at the top of the cliff where you fell Speedball.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Just out of curiosity, is there any way out of being "trapped" if you're at a bonfire that's just totally out of your capabilities? I'm stuck deep in the tomb of the giants and I can't really make progress either way (shortly after the dude boots you into the pit.) I killed Pinwheel on my first try rather easily so I'm confused why the difficulty ramped up so hard. These dudes rip through my stamina + half my health in their leap attacks, the crawling skeletons that is.

Looks like I found a way to sneak back out. Still really frustrating how long I spent stuck down there! Geeze.

Blarfo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 6, 2011

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

I feel silly, but I'm stuck right near the beginning, at the Firelink Shrine.

I wanna go to the Undead Burg and the only routes I've found are a path to treasure chests near the Miracle Tutor and a stairway leading up to the big crow dude, as well as a path down to a graveyard full of skeletons who rape me. Am I supposed to morning-star my way through them? Because there's a really big fucker. Like, giant. And he hurt me. A lot. I've died five times already! So, which way do I go? I really don't wanna go down...down leads to Blightown and that place doesn't sound fun at all.

There's a path that leads upward to the burg. Go to the bonfire, face away from the castle, and look to your right, there's a path along the cliff.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Holy poo poo. I popped some humanity when I reached the first bonfire on my way to kill the bull demon for the first time, and I saw a summon sign outside of it, but it disappeared before I could get to it. You can summon people for the first boss?

I don't think you can actually summon people into your game until you get the white stone after killing the bull demon.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Finally got mine delivered by Amazon and sat down to play a few hours. It feels just as amazing as it did when I was playing Demon's Souls for the first time, if not more so. The added focus on exploration adds so much to the game to me. After the tutorial they plunk you down an area with multiple divergent paths and say "go nuts". It really makes you feel so small in a big imposing world.

Another thing I'm really I'm blown away by is use of color in this game. Demon's Souls achieved such a dark, hopeless atmosphere partly through using somewhat monochromatic color palettes, but Dark Souls does the same thing while utilizing gorgeous saturated palettes. I've never seen anything else that matches the atmosphere created by it, and it really helps DeS and DaS feel distinct to one another.

As an aside, I wanted to ask people with Future Press guides: Did the pages on yours come slightly wavy? I got mine from Gamestop and it looked fine in the store, but after taking off the shrink wrap I noticed this, in addition to what looks like a dried wet spot on one of the later pages. I suspect some douche employee at store used it and resealed it, but I fear they might not let me return it since I have no way of proving it wasn't me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

!amicable posted:

Does the knight with the large club in the bottom of the tower in the Undead Burg drop anything cool or guard anything interesting? I don't know if I want to keep trying to kill him.

Also, are there any decent soul farming places that you can do early in the game?

he drops a ring that gives +50% max encumbrance. If your current encumbrance is 25% of your max you get access to a much better roll

Its not that much but its helpful to use the shortcut ladder from the undead burg up to where the bridge dragon is.
Run out in the bridge and run down the stairs. The dragon will roast the skeletons and you get 300 souls. If you go up the stairs with your shield raised the spear skeletons will not attack you

Flanky posted:

As an aside, I wanted to ask people with Future Press guides: Did the pages on yours come slightly wavy? I got mine from Gamestop and it looked fine in the store, but after taking off the shrink wrap I noticed this, in addition to what looks like a dried wet spot on one of the later pages. I suspect some douche employee at store used it and resealed it, but I fear they might not let me return it since I have no way of proving it wasn't me.

Mine had wavy pages. It's the paper and will fix itself if you flip through it and leave the book open halfway. The pages seem to flatten themselves out and the ink finally dries.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 6, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

!amicable posted:

Everything you fight that you go "god drat why can't I kill this thing" can be taken care of with lightning of some kind or fire bombs. The answer is always lightning or fire.

Being a melee character is stupid hard, but I can't help but feel :smug: when I cleave something that I know for a fact other people plinked away with arrows and firebombs and magic.

I earned my boar helmet. :colbert:

Also, the best shield I've come across besides the fire resist one is the hollow man shield. It even outclasses the Knight Shield you can find in the parish.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Wow if there was a way to skip Blighttown I would. This just sucks

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

he drops a ring that gives +50% max encumbrance. If your current encumbrance is 25% of your max you get access to a much better roll

He's also guarding the door to a whole other area. You're probably going to want to get through him eventually (he's pretty easy to take down if you just keep backstabbing him - he really just uses the same set of attacks over and over, and all of them are super easy to dodge and leave him with a huge recovery time).

I'm trying to spoil myself as little as possible so I haven't really read through the thread, but so far in the game I can't quite figure out the difference between being human/hollow. Obviously as a human you can summon player phantoms and be invaded, and while hollow you can be summoned/invade, but since you don't seem to have halved HP anymore when you die, is that the only difference now? I'm just wondering if I should try to become human after dying again, or save my humanity for the item find/curse resist, until I feel like I need to summon help for a boss or kindle a bonfire.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Also, the best shield I've come across besides the fire resist one is the hollow man shield. It even outclasses the Knight Shield you can find in the parish.

For what it's worth: I'm several bosses in and that is still the best shield I've got. They are so good and they drop pretty commonly, you don't even really need to buy a shield from the merchant.

Edit ^^^^^^ Being human increases your curse resistance (not *that* important). Also, while in human form, every point of spendable humanity you have gives you a bonus to your chance to find items (Not important, but really convenient).

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 6, 2011

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
What weapons are you guys using/reinforcing? I'm playing a knight, abou six hours in and I love most of the weapons I have ='(

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He's also guarding the door to a whole other area. You're probably going to want to get through him eventually (he's pretty easy to take down if you just keep backstabbing him - he really just uses the same set of attacks over and over, and all of them are super easy to dodge and leave him with a huge recovery time).

I'm trying to spoil myself as little as possible so I haven't really read through the thread, but so far in the game I can't quite figure out the difference between being human/hollow. Obviously as a human you can summon player phantoms and be invaded, and while hollow you can be summoned/invade, but since you don't seem to have halved HP anymore when you die, is that the only difference now? I'm just wondering if I should try to become human after dying again, or save my humanity for the item find/curse resist, until I feel like I need to summon help for a boss or kindle a bonfire.

You have to be human to invade now too. Human is the way to be this game around, you can be a white phantom while human too.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Mine had wavy pages. It's the paper and will fix itself if you flip through it and leave the book open halfway. The pages seem to flatten themselves out and the ink finally dries.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. My CE tin came with a dent and a scratch so if both my nice things were ballsed up I would be kind of disappointed.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo how are people this powerful already? This is insane. What are their builds?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What does the little bonfire symbol that occasionally appears in the top right hand of the screen mean?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cake Attack posted:

What does the little bonfire symbol that occasionally appears in the top right hand of the screen mean?

Its autosaving.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Tokubetsu posted:

What weapons are you guys using/reinforcing? I'm playing a knight, abou six hours in and I love most of the weapons I have ='(

Winged Spear +2 right now, I'm staying with the Winged Spear as much as I can. My secondary weapon is the Zweihander, done 2-handed, and I usually save that for bosses. I'm balancing my armor just right for the dodge-roll.

I think tomorrow, before I tackle the gargoyles again, I'm going to clean house for all of the black phantoms in the Burg. I think there are two that I can think of I haven't killed, and I'm liking the idea of that nifty encumbrance ring.

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 6, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Its autosaving.

Alright thanks.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Tokubetsu posted:

I love the big stupid looking weapons like the Giant Club, Great Axe, or any of the massive swords you find. The Zweihander is my current favorite so I've been beefing that one up at the moment.

This is going to sound incredibly retarded, but the hardest fight for me so far has been the Capra Demon with two dogs found in the tiny courtyard in the Undead Burg before you need the key to the Depths/sewers. Everything I was doing just did not work including running up the stairs so I can attack single file, going up to jump on the boss, focusing on monsters before the boss -- I ended up putting my heaviest armor and turtling in order to win. It took me about 22 tries until I found a solid way for my character to handle it and even then I had to make sure I wasn't getting screwed by the dogs.

The next few bosses after were refreshing after that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm, I'm at the first point in the game so far (45 hours in or so) that I have multiple places I could go, but they are all equally murderous in their own way. Maybe I'll give the game a rest for a while while I figure out what to do.

..well, that's what I keep telling myself, but I know I'll be playing again tomorrow, same as ever.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Winged Spear +2 right now, I'm staying with the Winged Spear as much as I can. My secondary weapon is the Zweihander, done 2-handed, and I usually save that for bosses. I'm balancing my armor just right for the dodge-roll.

I'm using the Winged Spear too. I used a Moon Winged Spear all the way through NG+++ in Demon's Souls and I'll probably use some Winged Spear variant forever in this game too :911:

Next thing I'm probably going to do is try and suicide rush to the Enchanted Ember in the forest so I can upgrade it to an Enchanted Winged Spear and start pumping my intellect for sweet sweet magic damage.

What's the earliest spot I can get some Blue Titanite Shards? Also where is the blacksmith that can do the ascending for me?

Holy Beergut
Feb 2, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

gently caress blight town toxin is such a bullshit condition and I need to go back to duskroot to farm more blooming purple moss up. I've tried coming into blighttown from both directions, valley of drakes and from the depths. The former leading to me being toxined and killed before I could get terribly far in. The latter being an excruciatingly long trek through narrow pathways to get knocked off near the bottom by one of those mutant firefuckers into a poisoned swamp with toxic darts.

Edit: Also the framerate sucks there.

Thankfully, those dart blowing enemies that cause toxic status don't respawn, so just kill them one by one and you don't have to worry about being toxic again (poison is another matter however, but it's not nearly as bad).

Holy Beergut fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Beergut
Feb 2, 2010
edit: double post

Holy Beergut fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 6, 2011

• Locked thread