Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yup, it's up for developers.
They better have fixed the damned coreaudiod bug..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does BitLocker work with Time Machine in Lion? I can't remember if something changed when Lion released. I don't remember the two things working well together previously.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ziploc posted:

Does BitLocker work with Time Machine in Lion? I can't remember if something changed when Lion released. I don't remember the two things working well together previously.

the new Filevault is pretty much seamlessly integrated with Lion and Time Machine (although I think you have to reformat your TM drive to get the encrypted backup).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

computer parts posted:

the new Filevault is pretty much seamlessly integrated with Lion and Time Machine (although I think you have to reformat your TM drive to get the encrypted backup).

Oops. I meant Filevault.

Anything I should know before turning it on?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Don't know if this is the right place to share this, but Steve Jobs passed away today :(

Edit: Yup, sorry about it. Here's the discussion: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441603

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ziploc posted:

Oops. I meant Filevault.

Anything I should know before turning it on?

I don't think you have to reformat, it should encrypt itself in the background once you turn it on.

Encryption doesn't work with software RAID setups; other than that (and the fact that you can't *lock* a drive once you've unlocked it), I've found it to be awesome.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
There used to be a couple of choices for the "Create a Black text document here" functionality.

I have an Apple Script to create a plain blank text file, but I need one that can create a blank .RTF file in a location with a keyboard shortcut. Apparently a 'blank' .rtf file needs headers and such.

Anyone know how to do this, or no software to do this?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Create a blank rtf file in Text Edit, save it somewhere safe, and modify your AppleScript to copy it to the current directory instead?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

~Coxy posted:

Create a blank rtf file in Text Edit, save it somewhere safe, and modify your AppleScript to copy it to the current directory instead?

Sounds good. How do I do that?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Look in your existing script to find out how it knows your current active folder.

Then you want something like:
code:
tell application "Finder"
  copy file "Macintosh HD:Users:user:blank.rtf" to folder XXXXX
end tell

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Could someone recommend software for simple picture-editing tasks? Mostly things like cropping, rotating, resizing and things like that.

I would preferably like something like paint.net for windows, already tried pinta but for some reason it crashes whenever I try to create a new document.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flyndre posted:

Could someone recommend software for simple picture-editing tasks? Mostly things like cropping, rotating, resizing and things like that.
Preview in /Applications. Well it won't do other stuff like painting but it'll do the stuff you listed and some other things.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Choadmaster posted:

Encryption doesn't work with software RAID setups; other than that (and the fact that you can't *lock* a drive once you've unlocked it), I've found it to be awesome.

I've started motorcycling to work, and I'm paranoid that the little bit of confidential info I have on my laptop will be stolen if I'm ever in an accident and the laptop is damaged/stolen/taken/lost etc. I can't run after my poo poo if I'm in an ambulance!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you want to encrypt only certain folders and files, then you may want to look into encrypted sparse bundle disk images. Otherwise FileVault is perfectly fine if you desire to encrypt your entire hard disk.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Is there a good alternative to KeePass for OS X? I use it to store and generate root passwords for some of my UNIX boxes at work and the auto type feature is a huge selling point for me. I need something that can auto type the password into a ssh terminal. Suggestions?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Look in your existing script to find out how it knows your current active folder.

Then you want something like:
code:
tell application "Finder"
  copy file "Macintosh HD:Users:user:blank.rtf" to folder XXXXX
end tell

I will give it a shot. Thanks!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Well there are ports of KeePass for OS X (one of them linked here), but I don't know if they support auto-type in Terminal. Most password apps support clipboard management, so then all you need to do is CMD+V.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is 10.7.2 worth finding the GM for or just waiting? I wasn't sure if the iCloud stuff was going to be reset pre official release

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It seems safe at least in the testing VM I setup today. If you don't have an Mac Developer account, I'd wait until next week.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Moeru posted:

Is 10.7.2 worth finding the GM for or just waiting? I wasn't sure if the iCloud stuff was going to be reset pre official release
iCloud is done being reset. That said, I'm still finding and opening bug reports for the 10.7.2 GM.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Just switched to Mac - running Lion on a MBA. I used PDANet on a PC for tethering with my phone, but there doesn't seem to be a mac version. What do I need to do to make it work??

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It would help a lot if we knew what phone it is, if you have a tethering plan, etc. I think PDANet is a third-party solution, so it sounds like it's not carrier-endorsed?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jerman999 posted:

Just switched to Mac - running Lion on a MBA. I used PDANet on a PC for tethering with my phone, but there doesn't seem to be a mac version. What do I need to do to make it work??

There is a version of PDANet for Mac.

I use EasyTether because it's a little bit nicer on Mac. Instead of needing to download a client, it shows up as a network device in the OS network settings.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Is there a way (or program) to break down battery usage? I want to see specific percentages for what's using my battery (display - 30%, wifi - 10% etc. maybe even break it down by background processes / program and show how much they use too)

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Hey guys, is there any ways I could sync between a mbp and an imac what podcasts I subscribe to and maybe even the unheard or already listened to status?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Is Perian working on Lion? My googling came up with several threads about it not working so well. Is there an alternative?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

BrokenDynasty posted:

Is Perian working on Lion? My googling came up with several threads about it not working so well. Is there an alternative?

It's working for me, but the last auto-update it tried failed to install properly (I've not bothered to try a re-install of a new version)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

BrokenDynasty posted:

If you just need to play videos, MPlayerX is excellent and available from the App Store for free. If you made use of some of the other implications of Perian being a QuickTime component, then I'm not aware of any alternatives.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

pipes! posted:

When I went to install it on my new work computer I just noticed that Notify's developer abandoned developing the app, but did everyone a solid and gave out free licenses for anyone who still wants it. I like it a lot more than Sparrow, way less memory issues, etc.

In my experience it's pretty glitchy on Lion. Sometimes it I have to click it multiple times to get it to appear, sometimes it won't go away. Preview basically never works, etc. I've been using the pro or whatever version since day one and I totally loved it until now, but I'm probably going to switch over to Sparrow once I break down and convince myself to spend even more money on an email app for my menubar.

eames
May 9, 2009

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet:

ClicktoPlugin 2.5.2 now supports Airplay, so you can send any HTML5 video (and most Flash videos) from Safari to your TV via an AppleTV.

This is a huge game changer for me, I love put on long TED Talks and Google Talks on my TV while browsing the net… with just a single click.

//edit: fixed version

eames fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 8, 2011

iloveyouall
Oct 26, 2007
Thank you for the tip eames. My wife will be very excited.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eames posted:

ClicktoPlugin 3.5.2 now supports Airplay, so you can send any HTML5 video (and most Flash videos) from Safari to your TV via an AppleTV.

This is a huge game changer for me, I love put on long TED Talks and Google Talks on my TV while browsing the net… with just a single click.

Questions:
Is http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/ the proper download page for this? It still shows version 2.5.2 as being the latest.
When I right-click on a YouTube video I see this, what am I doing wrong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That looks like the right page, the issue is that YouTube is giving you their HTML5 player so CTF isn't invoking. If you're in the YouTube HTML5 beta try leaving it, then CTF's version should load.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone use Launchbar? I am looking for a way to make it faster and use less memory. As it stands, it takes a couple of seconds to register my input and is using 450MB RAM... Does disabling things from indexing speed this up, and if so, does anyone know what things are best to disable?

All I want to use it for is launching applications and opening directories.

Also, I used to use quicksilver for opening network shares, but Launchbar only seems to index the directories beneath these shares. Anyone know how I can make it open the share root instead?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 8, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Anjow posted:

Does anyone use Launchbar? I am looking for a way to make it faster and use less memory. As it stands, it takes a couple of seconds to register my input and is using 450MB RAM... Does disabling things from indexing speed this up, and if so, does anyone know what things are best to disable?

All I want to use it for is launching applications and opening directories.

Delete the index and let it rebuild. LaunchBar gets really slow if its index/cache is screwy, and does not do any routine maintenance on it indexes/caches so it won't fix the problems without your intervention.

Sworn Launchbar lover myself (it's the only launcher that plays nice with IMEs), but ran into that problem once or twice.

Once you get rid of the troublesome indexex (maybe use TrashMe or a similar program to do it to make sure you get everything), you should have no problems. It is faster than the other choices once everything is squared away.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

eames posted:

ClicktoPlugin 2.5.2 now supports Airplay, so you can send any HTML5 video (and most Flash videos) from Safari to your TV via an AppleTV.

//edit: fixed version

A piece of software hasn't made me come in my pants in quite awhile. Time to change my pants.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

eames posted:

ClicktoPlugin 2.5.2 now supports Airplay

Is it possible to add this feature to a program like mplayerx?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Ugh, is there any way to stop iPhoto from launching every time I connect my iPad to my iMac?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Ugh, is there any way to stop iPhoto from launching every time I connect my iPad to my iMac?

It's in the iPhoto preferences. Choose connecting camera opens - nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

rckstar79 posted:

It's in the iPhoto preferences. Choose connecting camera opens - nothing.

Sweet, thanks, iPhoto is no longer the bane of my existence.